Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#851125 - 07/15/03 05:03 PM Re: TROLLS
Sam_dup1 Offline

Loc: NYC
Gryphon, I think LP believes in the inalienable rights of the individual to self-determination without overt pressure from groups with hidden agenda. I think he believes in freedom of choice, equality, integrity, compassion, transparency, and I suspect he despises hypocrisy.

BTW, I am happy your son has returned home safely. He has my sincere thanks for serving his country.

Piano & Music Accessories
#851126 - 07/15/03 05:07 PM Re: TROLLS
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
 Quote:
Originally posted by gryphon:
 Quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
maybe it should be moved to a separate header?[/b]
And this is because...what? Why?
[/b]
I wish I could say it came from an overly developed sense of order. Really, takes up memory space in my mind that I could devote to learning the Beethoven Op 106.

Ken

#851127 - 07/15/03 05:16 PM Re: TROLLS
Sam_dup1 Offline

Hey, you edited your post. OK, Gryphon and Jolly, Jesus always sided with the marginalized so I see no reason why he wouldn't be an advocate for the ostracized of our time. I know that he didn't like to pass judgement on others. And since we are all sinners I don't understand why some of us feel that it's their duty to be the moral police when Christ abstained himself from doing just that. I have absolutely no idea what constitutes proper Christian behavior; (and Jolly I never said that I did) it has not been practiced since Christ died.

#851128 - 07/15/03 05:22 PM Re: TROLLS
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
Sam, I am slow and dull-witted (just ask anyone here), so please clarify your post for me. Are you saying Jesus would condone homosexuality, sex-change operations, abortions, and frivolous divorce? Are any of those actions wrong?

#851129 - 07/15/03 05:32 PM Re: TROLLS
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Gryphon,

I believe you and Sam are speaking on different points. I believe you are saying you find it hard to reconcile LP's stand on issues relative to Christian values (e.g. abortion, divorce, etc.) while Sam speaks of behavior (e.g. intolerance, treating "enemies" with love) as key component of Christian values. Talk the talk, walk the walk stuff.

Ken

#851130 - 07/15/03 05:33 PM Re: TROLLS
SR Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Wow, and all this from a TROLL question.

Was Jesus a troll ? You know fisher of men.

Steve

#851131 - 07/15/03 05:33 PM Re: TROLLS
Sam_dup1 Offline

Gryphon, I know he wouldn't scorn them, or dismiss them like we are doing. So, do you think they are wrong because of what the bible says, or because of your own personal beliefs? And if the latter, what makes them wrong?

#851132 - 07/15/03 05:35 PM Re: TROLLS
Sam_dup1 Offline

Quote:
Gryphon,

I believe you and Sam are speaking on different points. I believe you are saying you find it hard to reconcile LP's stand on issues relative to Christian values (e.g. abortion, divorce, etc.) while Sam speaks of behavior (e.g. intolerance, treating "enemies" with love) as key component of Christian values. Talk the talk, walk the walk stuff.

Ken [/b]
Exactly, Ken. Thank you. I just suck at this debating thing.

#851133 - 07/15/03 05:46 PM Re: TROLLS
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Englewood, FL
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
I just suck at this debating thing. [/b]
No, I don't think so. You're doing a pretty good job. Hang in there. JMVHO,
justme

BTW does LP claim to be a Christian?

http://toosad4words.blogspot.com/

#851134 - 07/15/03 05:48 PM Re: TROLLS
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
Gryphon - you're nuts if you believe Christ condemns homosexuality. it's an is[/b] not a sin! - I'm a Catholic and I think Catholic moms just chose not to think about it, "Honey - why don't you become a priest", although I think we might have been taught it was a sin. Who knows?

There is a huge world beyond what you believe and have been taught. God rules over all. You should stand true to your beliefs but I don't know that that should include simply dismissing others who believe differently.. Why do you think God created so many religions?

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#851135 - 07/15/03 06:01 PM Re: TROLLS
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
I think we've been down this path before.

Aa I interpret the Bible, yes, homosexuality is a sin. As the denomination I belong to, interprets it, homosexuality is a sin.

It doesn't matter what is out there in the "world", the church is called to not be of this "world". If you've got too many folks agreeing with your Christian stance, your practice of Christianity probably ain't good enough.

Now, there are no big, or little sins in the eyes of God. For reasons I don't understand, murder, and telling a lie, occupy the same level.

But no, at the end of the day, all sins, are still sins.

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#851136 - 07/15/03 06:03 PM Re: TROLLS
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by apple:
Gryphon - you're nuts if you believe Christ condemns homosexuality. it's an is[/b] not a sin! - I'm a Catholic and I think Catholic moms just chose not to think about it, "Honey - why don't you become a priest", although I think we might have been taught it was a sin. Who knows?

There is a huge world beyond what you believe and have been taught. God rules over all. You should stand true to your beliefs but I don't know that that should include simply dismissing others who believe differently.. Why do you think God created so many religions? [/b]
Thank you, Apple, for saying something I couldn't. I just can't picture Jesus condemning my son. This kid has to be the most sensitive, loving, forgiving person I've ever met. And, as far as homosexuality goes, my son WAS born that way and if he could be heterosexual he would be. I, too, was raised Catholic. Catholics believe that homosexuality is not a sin. But, they do believe practicing homosexuality is. Therefore, many young men refuse to give into their gay sexual tendencies and marry God instead. Priests are considered "Brides of Christ." Unfortunately, this has been terrible for the church because of those sleezy renegade priests.
JMHO,
justme

#851137 - 07/15/03 06:08 PM Re: TROLLS
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
I just suck at this debating thing. [/b]
[/b]
Christ hung around with some pretty unsavory characters (e.g. Mary Magdaline) and treated them with a lot of affection. At the same time, he was pretty brutal towards the more devout religious folks of his time. They played the troll with him - asking questions about the law -- relative to the Sabath as I recall. He seemed to advocate something beyond sophistry. His was a simpler message, yet difficult to achieve - a purity of heart and soul -- devotion to the Lord and love of one's fellow men and women.

He proposed that one should do whatever was necessary to achieve this end -- even cutting off one's hand if it were necessary (great to bring closure to two threads!).

Sam -- even Gryphon doesn't want you to sweat the "debate" -- don't amount to a hill of beans -- as Bogie would say.

Ken

#851138 - 07/15/03 06:10 PM Re: TROLLS
bcarey Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Whoa!!!

This thread about trolls is venturing off in to the wild blue yonder. Don't some of you who want to discuss homosexuality, and the Catholic church think that it would be better to start a new thread?

#851139 - 07/15/03 06:14 PM Re: TROLLS
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jolly:
Now, there are no big, or little sins in the eyes of God. For reasons I don't understand, murder, and telling a lie, occupy the same level.

But no, at the end of the day, all sins, are still sins. [/b]
Interesting... I'm more used to the Catholic stata of things. Thus, telling a friend her soup "tastes great" would be considered less evil than stabbing a child.

If one commits no sins, not a problem...

Ken

#851140 - 07/15/03 06:16 PM Re: TROLLS
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bcarey:
Whoa!!!

This thread about trolls is venturing off in to the wild blue yonder. Don't some of you who want to discuss homosexuality, and the Catholic church think that it would be better to start a new thread? [/b]
I tried...we have an overly developed sense of order. In Buddhist traditions, one is taught to "let go" of these thoughts...breathe deeply and clear your mind...

Ken

#851141 - 07/15/03 06:18 PM Re: TROLLS
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Interesting... I'm more used to the Catholic stata of things. Thus, telling a friend her soup "tastes great" would be considered less evil than stabbing a child.

If one commits no sins, not a problem...

Ken [/b]
Ken, me too. It's what Catholics call "mental reservation." I guess it's used when you want to eliminate little truths by using words of kindness. The Protestants have taught "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all."
Can you tell on these forums who was raised what?
;\)
justme

#851142 - 07/15/03 06:30 PM Re: TROLLS
Ariel Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: NE
Wha-? I was just going to post a link for justme to the thread on the exact same question I raised in April in the Piano FOrum (I guess that's where I spent most of my time back then) when I see this has veered off into a wholly different direction.

From where - gays "trolling" for partners at a party? I'll see once I paste the address here...Maybe it's just as well I posted MY troll question in the Piano Forum after all! At worst it could have gone off into the never-never-land of: "Are Steinway's really worth it?".

OK, here's the link: What is a Troll?

Say, can anybody think of any other uses for Bounce fabric softener squares? How about mentholatum, or Avon Skin-so-soft??

Ariel

#851143 - 07/15/03 06:49 PM Re: TROLLS
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Off topic to Ariel:
Did someone call your avatar Frank Zappa. I must be out of it. I thought it was Doc Holliday! You'd make a good Doc Holliday, not sure about Zappa? How did you pick it?
justme

#851144 - 07/15/03 06:59 PM Re: TROLLS
Ariel Offline
3000 Post Club Member

oh no, Frank Zappa??? He smokes a cigar? I thought it was Mark Twain (as played by Hal Holbrook). He seems to be the "great mind" I most often quote around here (or THINK I do - perhaps he's just the sock-puppet for the great minds whose names I do not recall when a cynical witticism comes to mind).

OK, everyone, who IS my avatar (or, as the case may be - soon-to-be-former-avatar)?

Ariel

#851145 - 07/15/03 07:01 PM Re: TROLLS
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Samuel Clemens for sure....

Ken

#851146 - 07/15/03 07:06 PM Re: TROLLS
Dwain Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I thought it was Samuel Clemens - or his sock puppet, Mark Twain. In any case, it's definitely not Zappa.

#851147 - 07/15/03 07:09 PM Re: TROLLS
apple* Offline

Ariel - would you trust us to pick a new avatar for you? \:\)

#851148 - 07/15/03 07:10 PM Re: TROLLS
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
oh no, Frank Zappa??? He smokes a cigar? I thought it was Mark Twain (as played by Hal Holbrook). He seems to be the "great mind" I most often quote around here (or THINK I do - perhaps he's just the sock-puppet for the great minds whose names I do not recall when a cynical witticism comes to mind).

OK, everyone, who IS my avatar (or, as the case may be - soon-to-be-former-avatar)?

Ariel [/b]
That explains it. I never could read Mark Twain/sock puppet/Samuel Clemens. I preferred Dickens... Glad to hear it wasn't Zappa. Nothing against Zappa it just didn't fit. How do you like my lipstick?
justme

#851149 - 07/15/03 07:13 PM Re: TROLLS
Ariel Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Whassamatter, apple - you don't think I look good with a moustache?

#851150 - 07/15/03 07:22 PM Re: TROLLS
apple* Offline

If I were you - and I know I'm not... I'd pick either the Mona Lisa with the enigmatic, indefinable smile or Einstein.

#851151 - 07/15/03 07:32 PM Re: TROLLS
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Ariel, how about two different ones. Einstein for serious posts and the woman yacking on the phone for fun posts? You do have to get rid of the moustache. Altho' I'm starting to get used to it. I was sure it was Doc Holliday and you were coming out with both barrels hunting down trolls!
justme

#851152 - 07/15/03 08:20 PM Re: TROLLS
Ariel Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I was kind of thinking more along the lines of Audrey Hepburn...

#851153 - 07/15/03 08:43 PM Re: TROLLS
Ariel Offline
3000 Post Club Member

originally posted by apple:

If I were you - and I know I'm not... [/b]

Now, now, now "apple"...Don't you think it's time we came clean? I feel so, so...sock-puppetish. About a 50-45% cotton/poly blend with 5% nylon for stablity.

I'd pick either the Mona Lisa with the enigmatic, indefinable smile or Einstein.[/b]

How about combining them? Hmmm. Einstein (though he DID have a moustache too) with an enigmatic, quizzical smile as if he were about to announce e=mc2 - or, according to historical speculation - that he was pregnant? Lots of long, Morticia hair (needing MUCH Alberto VO-5 and Frizz-Ease).

Or, conversely...Mona, with that flyaway Jewish
Afro, sticking her tongue out as in the famous candid of Einstein? With the same deep, dark Renaissance decollete.

Either way I AM flattered!

justme suggested, something similar, adding:

You do have to get rid of the moustache. Altho' I'm starting to get used to it. I was sure it was Doc Holliday and you were coming out with both barrels hunting down trolls![/b]

Not quite sure who Doc Holliday is (not from the Beverly Hillbillies??), but I WAS starting to feel kind of like I was in drag.

I actually only chose the Mark Twainish one as a stopgap since none of the ones I was looking for seemed to be in the gallery, you know: Joan Baez, Meryl Streep, Nora Ephron, Joan of Arc, Mary Cassat, Anna Freud or Mme dePompadour...something in that general direction.

Blended.

!

Ariel

#851154 - 07/15/03 08:54 PM Re: TROLLS
ChickGrand Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest U.S.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I was kind of thinking more along the lines of Audrey Hepburn... [/b]
Clemons doesn't suit you visually. (The depiction is too young to be good of him anyway.)

If you can persuade Frank, take your pick:

(I like No. 2. You could choose Grace Kelly. I like the pic and enjoy looking at it. If we go back and forth I still get to see it even though I gave it up for the more apt chimp and to avoid xx vs. xy confusion.)

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
62 registered (AndrewJCW, Allard, bennevis, beeboss, barbaram, 18 invisible), 1181 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156278 Topics
2295078 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
Today at 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
Today at 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
Today at 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
Today at 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
Today at 12:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission