Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
116 registered (AnimistFvR, anamnesis, angga888, accordeur, alans, 37 invisible), 1429 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#856013 - 02/17/04 11:45 AM Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
squeaky88th Offline

Loc: NY
Just curious - what's your view on people who ask for your ticket (no money offered) when you leave at a concert's intermission?

Piano & Music Accessories
#856014 - 02/17/04 12:11 PM Re: Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I think it's almost as tacky as leaving during the intermission.

#856015 - 02/17/04 01:41 PM Re: Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

kenny, that is the funnest thing I've ever read!

And so true!

#856016 - 02/17/04 01:54 PM Re: Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
KlavierBauer Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
I'm with Kenny, who would only want to see half of a performance ... either the 1st, or the 2nd half?

#856017 - 02/17/04 02:10 PM Re: Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
BUT... why not give them your ticket? You're not going to use it, so it seems churlish to deny someone else the opportunity that you are willing to (literally) throw away.

The seat is paid for, after all.

Nina

#856018 - 02/17/04 02:23 PM Re: Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
I guess that would be an "it depends..."

I agree with Nina, if the second half isn't worth it to you to watch, then you shouldn't be annoyed at or want money from someone else who might like to enjoy it. (it does seem a bit tacky to wait outside to see if you can get in someplace for free, though)

ON THE OTHER HAND, I don't think it's fair to the artist to "share" a ticket, and split the concert with someone - meaning - split the cost of the ticket between two people, and then each watch half the concert. Unless the concert is sold out, and you can only get one ticket, and you both really want to see the person, then I guess it would be okay.

Man, am I wishy-washy today. \:\)

So, do people actually wait outside and ask you for your ticket?

\:\) Jodi

#856019 - 02/17/04 04:09 PM Re: Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Oh, sharing a ticket! As Emily Litella would say, "that's different."

I was thinking of a situation where the ticketholder decided at intermission to leave, because they didn't like the performance or just felt like hitting the bars early (or whatever).

I can think of situations where it would be OK to share a ticket (say, an expensive ticket shared between two poverty-striken, yet implishly likeable music students), but it would have to be something like that. If you can afford to buy a ticket, buy it! I can think of two performances where I bought a ticket knowing I would have to leave at intermission to catch flights... had the impishly likeable piano student been outside hoping against hope to see the second half of the performance, I would definitely have given away the ticket!

Nina

#856020 - 02/17/04 04:26 PM Re: Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
I'd give away a ticket in such a situation. My parents ingrained the idea of not wasting. And no, I don't think I've deprived the artist anything -- just a different person walking back to the seat.

I've given away tickets to whole performances where I had an extra ticket. What's the difference?

Ken

#856021 - 02/17/04 05:17 PM Re: Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
If I'm leaving during intermission because I don't like the performance, I have no problem giving my ticket to someone else. But honestly, it has never happened that someone asked me for my ticket and it rarely (very rarely) happens that I don't want to stay after intermission.

I also don't have any problem with sharing a ticket.

#856022 - 02/17/04 05:52 PM Re: Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
Nobody[/b] leaves in the middle of.....

a.......
STEPPENWOLF CONCERT!........ \:D

#856023 - 02/17/04 07:09 PM Re: Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
of course! Anyone who would ask for a ticket couldn't get one, for one reason or another. Think how happy you'd make them..

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#856024 - 02/17/04 07:10 PM Re: Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Plainfield, IL
 Quote:
Originally posted by Larry:

a.......
STEPPENWOLF CONCERT!........ [/b]
Well, it's really kind of hard to tell, because some of them go over to the beer tent and never come back, some of them go to find out if their kids are done on the Tilt-A-Whirl yet, some of them get sucked into try to knock over the leaden milk bottles with the softball game and never return, while still others are still waiting in line at the Porta-Potties when the guys finish their set.

But, then again, they'll probably be playing at the next county over's fair next week, so you can always catch them again. :p

#856025 - 02/17/04 07:10 PM Re: Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
Jack Frost Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
 Quote:
Originally posted by Larry:

a.......
STEPPENWOLF CONCERT!........ \:D
[/b]
Since Larry has changed the subject, I will run with it. For those of you who think that Steppenwolf is just Magic Carpet Ride and God D**n The Pusher, check out Steppenwolf Second, cuts 8 through 12. It is a blues-based suite that never got radio play but ranks among the best music of the era in my mind.

Gryphon, have you heard this? Can you post it?

jf

Steppenwolf Second

#856026 - 02/17/04 07:28 PM Re: Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
Luke's Dad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mid Atlantic
Depends on whether or not I was single, and how cute she was.

#856027 - 02/17/04 07:40 PM Re: Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
jf, no, I am not familiar with that album nor the blues suite. If you want to email them to me I'll post them for you. Since I don't have any Steppenwolf I'll post another oldie.

#856028 - 02/17/04 08:30 PM Re: Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
OK,

back to the ticket question - I think it deoends on what the performance was and who was asking. If it were an obviously "needy" music lover I would consider it a duty to have the rest of the concert seen.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#856029 - 02/17/04 09:10 PM Re: Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
Jack Frost Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gryphon:
jf, no, I am not familiar with that album nor the blues suite. If you want to email them to me I'll post them for you. Since I don't have any Steppenwolf I'll post another oldie. [/b]
I have the cd SOMEWHERE in this old house and MAYBE even know how to rip it, but it will be the weekend before I can think about it, but I will. YOU will like this I am confident.

jf

#856030 - 02/17/04 09:12 PM Re: Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
Jack Frost Offline
4000 Post Club Member

....and love that Light My Fire. I used to play that in my High school garage band.....and listening to your stream has me in a trance....

jf

#856031 - 02/18/04 01:26 AM Re: Your opinion: People who ask for your ticket @ intermission
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
If someone decides to leave in the middle of a concert, why not give the ticket up? Are you planning on returning later? The seat is paid for, why let it go to waste? What does it matter who paid for the ticket and who uses it? How is it not fair to the musician(s) to do so? Why not allow the less fortunate person, who obviously wants to see this concert (why else what outside like that?), to see it?

What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Technique for holding down chords
by DeadPoets
11/25/14 11:07 PM
Steingraeber A170 vs. Steinway M - appreciate helpful input
by ElaineAllegro
11/25/14 09:26 PM
Rachmaninov Sonatas - 1 vs 2?
by iObsessed
11/25/14 08:07 PM
Completely OT- mods please move if necessary
by PhilipInChina
11/25/14 07:40 PM
Steinway "cottage" piano hammers
by ssenseney
11/25/14 07:19 PM
Forum Stats
77049 Members
42 Forums
159356 Topics
2340852 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission