Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#85680 - 12/28/08 06:15 AM What is aftertouch?
jrcallan Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I'm a relative beginner here, and do not know what people refer to when they speak of "aftertouch" and adjusting it.

What is it?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#85681 - 12/28/08 06:22 AM Re: What is aftertouch?
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
You want to post in the Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards forum. Aftertouch is something more expensive DP's have to control certain features.

#85682 - 12/28/08 08:27 AM Re: What is aftertouch?
cps Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
They try to put it in those "more expensive" DP things because acoustic pianos have it, most notably grands.

As for what it is.... Even my instructor at the Yamaha Piano Academy couldn't give a definitive answer on that. Different people will describe it differently, and they'll all be right. It's what you feel in the last bit of the key stroke.

Cheers,
Greg

#85683 - 12/28/08 11:01 AM Re: What is aftertouch?
BDB Offline

Loc: Oakland
Aftertouch is the distance between let-off and the bottom of the key stroke.

#85684 - 12/28/08 11:10 AM Re: What is aftertouch?
BoseEric Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Fairfield County, CT
To feel aftertouch, slowly depress 1 key until you feel the friction or "bump" where the jack hits the letoff button, and rotates out from under the knuckle.

Go very slowly, using your sense of touch. After touch is the distance the key travels AFTER this "bump".

After touch plays a very important role in the overall touch of a piano. Too little aftertouch and the action will feel hard and hammers might block on the strings. Too much aftertouch and the action will feel mushy, and the key may block AFTER striking.

#85685 - 12/28/08 11:39 AM Re: What is aftertouch?
turandot Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
JR,

I can't define it, but I can tell you three ways it has been referred to in my experience. I think a part of the problem is that some uses of the term 'aftertouch' relate to key velocity while others relate to key pressure.

First,I have two acoustics. One of them allows me to play at a very soft volume easily. When I slow my attack velocity on the key, the key resists evenly from the first impact to the point where the key bottoms out. This even key response assists my efforts to play at a soft volume. The other piano had a tendency after initial resistance at the top of the keystroke to then go 'plop' to the bottom. This impeded my efforts to play at a soft level. When my tech was around for tuning, I mentioned this to him. He told me it was an aftertouch problem. He adjusted the regulation on the piano that had a tendency to 'plop' so that it became marginally better, but the other piano is still superior (probably by design).

Another instance it came up for me was with teachers. I had a couple who stressed to me the importance of working on MY aftertouch. In this instance they wanted me to exert different levels of pressure (not velocity) on the keys after they bottomed out. Obviously, this can only occur when your fingers are not moving quickly from key to key. These teachers believed that the level of pressure applied to the key after it bottomed could affect not only the decay, but the quality of tone production. I don't know if it's myth or reality, but I'm easy to fool so I have come to believe it's true (at least on some pianos)

The last instance is with digitals. In digitals, the attack velocity isn't all that important because you are dealing with a fairly narrow dynamic range. If you attempt to attack with great velocity to achieve a big fortissimo, all you will get for your effort is a hard unpleasant bottoming out which feeds back through your fingers. The sensors won't care what you do beyond their loudest volume sensitivity. Conversely, if you attempt to play very softly with an attack that caresses rather than strikes, you will waste your time since the sensor response will not differ beyond its lowest volume option.

OTOH, pressure on the keys of a digital AFTER bottoming can be significant. You can hold a key in bottom position and change the volume simply by exerting different levels of pressure. This has nothing to do with velocity. For example, let's say you are using a string pad sample on a digital. You can create the illusion of a string ensemble that is playing a note softly, building the same sustained note to a crescendo, and gradually fading the same note to a pianissimo without moving your finger -- simply by applying different levels of pressure to the key while it is at bottom position. In the digital world, this is usually referred to as aftertouch.

#85686 - 12/28/08 11:42 AM Re: What is aftertouch?
keyboardklutz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cps:
They try to put it in those "more expensive" DP things because acoustic pianos have it, most notably grands.[/b]
Acoustic pianos don't have it (unless you're a piano technician). Check turandot's post above on DP's.

#85687 - 12/28/08 11:47 AM Re: What is aftertouch?
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
 Quote:
Originally posted by cps:
They try to put it in those "more expensive" DP things because acoustic pianos have it, most notably grands.[/b]
Acoustic pianos don't have it (unless you're a piano technician). Check turandot's post above on DP's. [/b]
Sure they do, even if we're apparently talking about different things. BDB and BoseEric's responses explain it.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#85688 - 12/28/08 12:35 PM Re: What is aftertouch?
jrcallan Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Thanks, everyone. I must say that I see exactly what BoseEric talked about on my Kawai upright. With the front panel off, I can see and feel that point where the jack comes out from under the knuckle. Thanks for the info.

#85689 - 12/28/08 12:48 PM Re: What is aftertouch?
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I believe that better digital pianos with weighted keys have a rubber strip (or equivalent elastomeric means) for braking the keys when they bottom out. It is a completely different feel from the aftertouch of an acoustic.

In a digital piano, further pushing on the rubber can be used to produce additional sound effects, as stated.

With regard to acoustic pianos, there are endless religious warfares on the sound effect of the aftertouch.

#85690 - 12/28/08 01:19 PM Re: What is aftertouch?
BDB Offline

Quote:
With regard to acoustic pianos, there are endless religious warfares on the sound effect of the aftertouch.
Aftertouch is the region where the key has no mechanical connection to the hammer. It can have no effect on the sound.

#85691 - 12/28/08 01:22 PM Re: What is aftertouch?
JDelmore Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BDB:
 Quote:
Aftertouch is the region where the key has no mechanical connection to the hammer. It can have no effect on the sound. [/b]
That's why it's religious...ya just gotta believe!! \:D

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)

#85692 - 12/28/08 07:12 PM Re: What is aftertouch?
Barbara G Offline

Loc: N. Texas
So is the letoff setting directly related to aftertouch? I think that letoff is the amount of distance the hammer is from the string when the jack rotates and the hammer uses it's momentum to continue to the string, as it is no longer being pushed towards the sting. So I am trying to understand the difference in these terms. Thanks

#85693 - 12/28/08 07:21 PM Re: What is aftertouch?
BDB Offline

Aftertouch is also a function of the key dip. Like so many adjustments in the piano, there are a number of adjustments that must be correct in order to get it right.

#85694 - 12/28/08 10:26 PM Re: What is aftertouch?
cps Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Striking distance (or hammer blow) and hammer drop are important too, but as BDB said, there's lots of things that go into the whole aftertouch experience.

Cheers,
Greg

#85695 - 12/29/08 09:07 PM Re: What is aftertouch?
OldFingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, MA
Does this mean that is there is no sensation in the fingers of the hammer striking the keys? As a practical matter, if I were to install a MIDI strip and stop-rail for silent practice, would the effect of the after-touch render the feeling of the keyboard unchanged?

#85696 - 12/29/08 10:06 PM Re: What is aftertouch?
BDB Offline

The hammers do not strike the keys.

#85697 - 12/30/08 12:49 AM Re: What is aftertouch?
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
 Quote:
The hammers do not strike the keys. [/b]
Are you sure BDB? I thought that was the cause of the chipped ivories I see on so many pianos...

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#85698 - 12/30/08 10:50 AM Re: What is aftertouch?
OldFingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, MA
BDB, I'm sorry, I wrote "keys" instead of "strings". It was late. Since you said earlier that "aftertouch is the region where the key has no mechanical connection with the hammer", can I conclude that my fingers will be unable to tell the difference between the hammers hitting the strings or hitting the stop-rail?

#85699 - 12/30/08 12:02 PM Re: What is aftertouch?
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
 Quote:
 Quote:
Aftertouch is the region where the key has no mechanical connection to the hammer. It can have no effect on the sound. [/b]
I'm not sure this is true. It's like saying that the follow through in a tennis stroke has nothing to do with what happens to the ball because after the ball leaves the strings its not affected by the racket's motion.

The point is that the follow through(after the ball has left the strings)is determined to a large extent by the motion of the racket before the ball hits the strings.

I would say the same is true in piano playing. The motion of the finger before the aftertouch motion of the key(which effects sound) affects the motion of the finger during the aftertouch portion of the key motion.

#85700 - 12/30/08 12:09 PM Re: What is aftertouch?
keyboardklutz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pianoloverus:
It's like saying that the follow through in a tennis stroke has nothing to do with what happens to the ball because after the ball leaves the strings its not affected by the racket's motion[/b]
Yes. It only affects what happens to the person. Piano is a bit different - what you do can add a 'thud'.

#85701 - 12/30/08 12:16 PM Re: What is aftertouch?
BDB Offline

Quote:
BDB, I'm sorry, I wrote "keys" instead of "strings". It was late. Since you said earlier that "aftertouch is the region where the key has no mechanical connection with the hammer", can I conclude that my fingers will be unable to tell the difference between the hammers hitting the strings or hitting the stop-rail?
I do not know, not having experience with a stop rail of that sort. However, hammers hitting strings give a sensation which can be felt through the entire piano. I would guess the answer depends on how sensitive you are.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
131 registered (36251, ajames, accordeur, albumblatter, Abby Pianoman, 37 invisible), 1832 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75595 Members
42 Forums
156302 Topics
2295536 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday torquenale !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 08:26 AM
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
Today at 08:03 AM
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
Today at 01:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission