Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#85753 - 08/12/07 04:24 PM First Piano Purchase; advices and suggestions please?
Charlene. Offline

Loc: Canada
Hello everyone!

I'm planning to start taking piano lessons again so I'm looking into buying a piano but I am on a tight budget \:\( so I'm hoping to buy a decent quality piano at around CDN $2000 - $3000. I'm planning on buying a better quality piano in about 5 years when I'll be out of school and working and finished paying off my student loan.

One of the pianos I like the most out of the few I've seen in that price range is the Steigerman SU108 (For details of the piano: http://www.steigerman.com/upright_su108.htm), which is around $3K Is this piano worth purchasing?

I really don't know anything about pianos because I only played for about 3 years when I was 5 years old and haven't played the piano since, so any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#85754 - 08/12/07 06:42 PM Re: First Piano Purchase; advices and suggestions please?
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
At first it's a good idea to play as many different pianos as you can, even ones which are clearly out of your price range. As you continue to audition, you'll find that some appeal to you more than others. If you don't play, just ask the rep to play for you.

Going around to the shops will also help you to get to know the reps. This could be helpful, because shops get trade-ins - from people who are upgrading, for example. If you build up a network of contacts, you may be able to get a two- or three-year-old piano at a price that you want to pay.

Just take your time.

#85755 - 08/12/07 08:55 PM Re: First Piano Purchase; advices and suggestions please?
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Charlene,

The Steigerman 108 is the lowest-priced piano that Steigerman Music offers. To be honest, it's nothing special. It is part of their Classic series. If the piano were priced at $3000 in the US, it would be more than a little overpriced and would not be a worthy competitor to others that you could buy for $3000. However, I don't know prices in your market or the current rate of exchange.

Steigerman's Premium line is more contemporary. By that I mean it is a better representative of Chinese piano quality today. It has received favorable reviews. If I were looking at Steigerman pianos, I would try to find the Premium 115 at a price I could handle. Chances are the dealer who had the 108 would stock the Premium line as well.

You might look at Heintzmann verticals as well. I think they are more easily found in Canada than here in the US. Another low-priced piano that has received some favorable coments here is Palatino. It would probably fit your budget if you can find one to audition and happen to like it.

With the low-priced pianos, finding a dealer who takes the low-end business seriously and preps the pianos to bring out their potential is just as important as the piano itself. That's not to say that all these pianos are the same level of quality. They are not. But any of them can sound bad and play badly if they are just dumped onto the sales floor without attention.

Evaluate the piano, the presentation, the salespitch, and the comfort level you have with the dealer. All of those should be part of your decision.

#85756 - 08/12/07 09:09 PM Re: First Piano Purchase; advices and suggestions please?
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Check out the Yamaha model T118 and the Yamaha Cable Nelson model CN116. New, Yamaha, warrantied and in your budget. Decent performance on both.

#85757 - 08/12/07 10:56 PM Re: First Piano Purchase; advices and suggestions please?
Charlene. Offline

FogVilleLad, thank you very much for the advice, I've been trying to compare some of the sounds and touch of the cheaper and the expensive pianos and really wish I had the money to go with the more expensive one. One that I really liked was the Petrof, unfortunatly it is not something I can purchase at the moment.

turandot, I'm unsure of whether there's a dealer in my area that sells Palatino, I was on the website looking for a dealer near my area but got it said they couldn't find a dealer near my area.

I've been to the 4 piano stores that I've found around my area, through the yellow page, and it seems that the brands they have are Yamaha, Kawai, Hoffman & Kuhne, Petrof, Charles R. Walter, Steigerman, Baldwin, Wm. Knabe & Co., Kohler & Campbell, Heintzman & Co.

What are some questions i can ask or ways for me to know if the dealer preps the pianos to bring out their potential?

Marty Flinn, thank you for the suggestions, I will go have a look at the Yamaha T118. I really like the sound of the Cable Nelson CN116, but I find the keys a little "heavy" to push on.

#85758 - 08/12/07 11:56 PM Re: First Piano Purchase; advices and suggestions please?
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
What are some questions i can ask or ways for me to know if the dealer preps the pianos to bring out their potential?
Charlene,

Some things would reveal themselves without asking. If the piano is out of tune you'll probably notice. If keys are not level or stick when played, you'll know that too. If there are buzzes from the caninet or strings that twang, you'll hear them.

The question to ask is "How much work do these pianos require to set up when you receive them?".
If the asnwer is: "These pianos are good to go...or something similar, then you can assume they do nothing or next to nothing. If they say it requires time, ask them what they do.

BTW, I like Marty's suggestions of the T 118 and the Cable Nelson if they appeal to you. You say you want to keep the piano 5 years before upgrading. If the piano is a Yamaha product, it will probably be worth more in 5 years than the others. That's just how the market is. The action of the Cable Nelson can probably be adjusted more to your liking. Is the Cable Nelson around $3000 as well?

#85759 - 08/13/07 01:13 AM Re: First Piano Purchase; advices and suggestions please?
Charlene. Offline

The cable nelson is approx $3600 + tax. Do you know the approx. price to adjust the action of a piano? I did not know that keys can be adjusted so that they don't feel as heavy to push on?

#85760 - 08/13/07 02:11 AM Re: First Piano Purchase; advices and suggestions please?
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Any adjustments that can be made to suit you are done before you pay and as a condition of sale. There should be no charge. You should also be entitled to at least one free tuning after the piano settles in your home for a month or so. That tuning visit should also include a free fix of any little things that crop up during the break-in period. If you discuss these things with the dealer, you'll get a sense of how he operates and get a feeling about whether you're comfortable with buying from him.

Maybe some of our Canadian members can comment on that $3600 + tax price of the Cable Nelson and give an idea how much a Yamaha T-118 and Steigerman Premium 115 might cost.

#85761 - 08/22/07 06:48 PM Re: First Piano Purchase; advices and suggestions please?
008 Offline

I paid around $3600 to $3800 (incl delivery, taxes extra) on the CN116 last year. Very nice piano but I don't have anything else to compare.

#85762 - 08/22/07 07:07 PM Re: First Piano Purchase; advices and suggestions please?
SCCDoug Offline
500 Post Club Member

Charlene

To stay under $3000 tax in for a new piano in Canada is not easily done and you might find used to be a better value. If you have access to a good technician to check out any that you find you are interested in, it can also be a relatively safe purchase.

Digitals may also be an appropriate choice for you. We recently picked up a Yamaha P140 for our college student child because it offered some lifestyle and budget advantages. There are decent instruments well within your price range, and although they are still not as satisfying as acoustics they deserve a look. We will be better able to tell how well it works out for us later this year.

Best wishes and keep us posted.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#85763 - 08/22/07 07:28 PM Re: First Piano Purchase; advices and suggestions please?
birchy Offline

Loc: Vancouver
I've heard some Steigerman uprights and they sounded great to me though I believe they were the Premium line. As Turandot points out, that is a superior line.

If you are in BC send me a personal message and I'll give you some tips from my recent shopping experience.

If the budget is tight you might want to think about the rent to own plan some vendors offer. It lets you get into pianos that seem out of range for you.

#85764 - 08/23/07 06:04 AM Re: First Piano Purchase; advices and suggestions please?
superrand Offline

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Hi Charlene:

If you decide to look for a quality used instrument as opposed to new, check out a Kawai UST-6 or 7. I've seen a few of these for sale for arond $2k.

As far as testing to see how much a dealer preps their pianos...I find the oldest, ugliest used piano in the place, and lift up on the keys. They should move upward slightly. If they stick up, or slowly fall back down, it's a bad sign. If they rebound, or seem to bounce a little, the dealer has probably done some adjustments to bring maintaince current. I actually do this on any piano I'm trying, it's like kicking the tires of a car. Not sure if it actually does anything, but it makes you look like you know what your doing, HA.
Wannabe pianist by night
Kawai US-55

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
71 registered (Atrys, ando, adanepst, 36251, BB Player, 14 invisible), 1095 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153492 Topics
2249210 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
Today at 01:45 AM
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
Today at 01:07 AM
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Just got my MP11!
by Dan Clark
Yesterday at 10:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission