2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hello. I am an adult beginner, looking for a piano for the home and am in need of advice. After two months of shopping, I have narrowed down my choices to the following:

1). 2003 Wurlitzer Baby Grand. 5'4" Like new, barely used but kept tuned. Sounded fine to me (but then, I'm a beginner). To buy, move and tune it, the price is $4200. No warranty.

2). 2007 Yamaha P22. 45" studio. Used for 1 year at the local university. The price to buy, move and tune it is $4700. 10 year warranty with trade in value of $4195 within 10 years.

Both of these choices are at the VERY top of our budget.

So, if you were a beginner, which would you choose and why? I appreciate all advice.

Thank you for your time.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Did you like one more than another? You will be listening and playing it, what may matter most once you are satisfied on condition and price, is how you like it.

How much practicing a day/or week do you anticipate? The P22 has a reputation for being a workhorse but then most people recommend a grand for greater dynamic control and faster repetitions but at the beginner level you might not notice...

What are the model number and serial number on the Wurlitzer? I am not seeing a 5'4" piano on the Gibson website-- could it be a discontinued length?

My impression from reading PW is that the Wurlitzer is considered OK not great grand, a starter grand, and the P22 is much better regarded as an upright, but the fact that it was used at the university makes me wonder what is its true condition? Better to check the serial number, too. I think the price may possibly be a little high for being used but I am no expert, just a PW reader and my comment is based on reading PW...You might possibly find a U1 for just another thousand more according to some posters' experience in their local markets...of course if you are in a small market you might not...so much depends on your market and whether there is much competition. I don't mean to suggest that you spend another thousand but if you notice a difference between a new u1 and the P22 then you'd want to consider whether the P22 is worth it to you.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
That price for a used P22 seems real bad. Some have reported a new Kawai K3 near that price which would be much better.

I have sold both instruments, and I can tell you without hesitation that the P22 is a better piano. If you don't like the price, I'd suggest offering that price for a brand new one. the price is not bad, but you might just get them to go for delivering one that is factory fresh. These pianos are going up in cost at a truly alarming rate! frown

Good luck to you!

Dennis C.
Piano Store Operator,
Former District Manager,
20 Year Industry Experience

"Tell the truth, honor God, and make money!"
M
MVB Offline
M
Just wanted to say that I bought my brand new P22 for $4700 just a couple months ago. Therefore, I would consider this amount too high for a used one. I actually preferred the sound and feel of the P22 over the U1 that they had in the showroom but no question that the P22 is better than the Wurlitzer. I've been taking lessons on a Wurlitzer and it's only made me appreciate what I have at home all that much more. Ultimately, it should be what sounds and feels good to you.

MVB
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the advice. smile

Guest1013, to my ears, the P22 and the Wurliter Baby Grand sounded about the same. I've heard it's better to learn on a grand as it builds stronger hand and finger control but maybe that's such a small benefit it's not worth the cost in quality.

Also, because I am new, I think I'm attracted to the Wurlitzer because it's big and when new was purchased for $7500 -so, there's a deep discount.
Plus, the bigger piano has the illusion of more piano for the dollar. wink

That's a great question about the model and the Serial Number. I forgot to get that information when I was visiting today but will be sure to find out if I decide to pursue that piano.

MVB, did $4700 include tax, transport and the first tuning?

As for the Yamaha price I was quoted ($4195 + $200 transport + $50 tuning when home + $260 sales tax = ~$4700)... Unfortunately, I live in a ONE piano shop city. That means that if someone wants a new piano in my city, they *have* to go the Yamaha dealer or pay extra to travel, shop and transport in a piano from another city.

I think I might could bargain with the Yamaha dealer, however (especially on the transport charge of $200 and because the cabinet is dinged a bit), but it's her market, really. I think she will bargain or not bargain based only on her sales report for the month and how fast she needs the money... not because she thinks I'll go elsewhere. frown

Meanwhile, I've been shopping the ads for used pianos but I run into a wealth of spinets and 1930 Kimbals for sale and not much else within my city. When I shop nearby cities, I run into the same transport problems I faced with shopping for new pianos. For example, that Wurlitzer Baby Grand I mentioned is located in the closest neighboring city of any size. It's listed for $3500. But it costs $550 to move it to my city! (Then add another $100 for a technician to check it before I buy, plus $100 to tune it and the sum is ~$4300). So, I'm not sure what I can do to get out of these steep prices. :\

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/20192.html These posters may shed more light on the Wurlitzer but you may see that the change in ownership and construction over the years can be confusing. Knowing the particular model and actual length may be of significance.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In 2003 Wurlitzer grands were made for Baldwin by either ASC (Chinese) or Young Chang (Korean or Chinese), can't remember.

The P22 is basically a "demo" new piano with a factory warranty. At $4700 including tax and delivery, this is a good price for a good solid piano.

In spite of this, I might opt for the grand for the additional tone and volume, but most importantly for the advantage of the grand piano repetition sensitivity.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
M
MVB Offline
M
Paperkite;

The $4700 was before taxes but included delivery, 2 tunings and a 10 year warranty. Whatever you choose, the best of luck!

MVB
P
OP Offline
P
After much debate in our house, we decided to take the sage advice from these forums and so, the winner is....

The Yamaha!

We had pretty much decided on it but when I went back to the Yamaha dealer, I mentioned we were also considering a used Wurlitzer Baby Grand. Oh, boy did the saleswoman ever have an opinion about that! Truly, the Soup Nazi has nothing on her. wink So strong was her opinion, I thought she was going to throw me out her store for considering such an item. Then, as it turned out, a piano technician was in the store and came over to strongly discourage me from the Wurlizer, also. So, there you have it.

Thanks to everyone here! I have read a lot of very insightful information from this forum. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and help coach me into a good deal.

Best Wishes,
Laura

Originally posted by Craigen:
In 2003 Wurlitzer grands were made for Baldwin by either ASC (Chinese) or Young Chang (Korean or Chinese), can't remember.
Actually By Sammick in S. Korea.

Dennis C.
Piano Store Operator,
Former District Manager,
20 Year Industry Experience

"Tell the truth, honor God, and make money!"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
check out the Yamaha T118, you should be able to get a price lower than that of the P22.

Representing Yamaha, Story and Clark, and other fine instruments
Menchey Music Service
Associate Member of PTG
Serving Central Pennsylvania and the Greater Baltimore Area

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission