2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
.rvaga* Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Just curious, any bike riders in the group?

Beautiful late Summer weather here in Oregon, and before the state went broke, most of the good touring roads in the foothills of the Cascades were paved. Miles and miles of scenery, smooth roads, the wind, and hardly any cagers. Love it!!!

cool smile smile cool

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
oooh, a nasty spill ages ago cured me of the bug for quite awhile (I promptly sold the bike, honda rebel, a week later). frown

lately, I've been drifting back (helped by the fact that a friend recently open up a bike shop). It's been lovely riding in upstate new york --it state fair time, up in Syracuse which is home of the Dinosaur Barbecue (a biker haven of some note). Giving some thought to next year's New York Bike week. Bike Week

- N

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
I always wanted a bike, but never did anything about it. I have other hobbies that take up my time, but someday.....

Anyway, this got me thinking of a heartbraking story. Last Spring, I was driving a few miles from my house down a main road (about 40 mph). It had recently showered and the roads were a little wet. I noticed a beautiful new red Harley with LOTS of chrome stopping at a side street. He made a right in front of me and while he was still in the turn punched the throttle........and the bike went out from under him. He was fine (wasn't going fast) but the whole side the bike scraped. It had to thousands in damage.

Ugh... I hate seeing anything beautiful destroyed and this bike was beautiful! frown

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Rich Galassini:

Anyway, this got me thinking of a heartbraking story. frown
No pun intended, I'm sure....... wink

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by rvaga:
Just curious, any bike riders in the group?

Beautiful late Summer weather here in Oregon, and before the state went broke, most of the good touring roads in the foothills of the Cascades were paved. Miles and miles of scenery, smooth roads, the wind, and hardly any cagers. Love it!!!

cool smile smile cool
Yup. Bike rider. Dirt and street.

Current dirt ride is a KX250. SWMBO rides a Honda 4Trax quad.

No street bike in the stable just now, sold a Ninja 1000 about 6 months ago and am looking for a Honda 900 or 929RR wreck to rebuild and replace it with. Bike before that was a GSXR 750. My neighbor and riding buddy just picked up a '95 CBR1000 wreck that I might consider after he puts it back together.

I like canyons. cool

I might like a cruiser too, but garage space (and bank account space) is limited.

What are "cagers?"

Defender of the Landfill Piano
.rvaga* Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Steve,

"Cagers" = people in cars. smile

I used to ride dirt bikes years ago. Great idea for a lot of fun, and a great way to learn how to control a bike.

Rich noted in an above post how a Harley guy dumped his bike. Total inexperience, I'll bet he never cracks the throttle on wet pavement with the wheel turned again! Hard way to learn a lesson, glad he wasn't hurt.

Heard statistics the other day, that the largest category of fatal accidents on motorcycles (donor mobiles...) are the 40+ adult males, who made lots of cash and now want to ride. So, they head to their Harley dealer, and buy a bike that they should not even be allowed to sit on, let alone ride.

I saw a guy the other day in a gas station, big shiny Harley soft-tail with undoubtedly weekend miles on it. He was wearing shorts and sandals for gosh sakes!! I was tempted to ask him if he'd ever been hit in the hand or shin with a rock while on the freeway, but figured it's none of my business.

Anyway, I did have a point in responding to your post. Dirt riding teaches everything about riding, especially what to do when things go wrong. It was this kind of experience that allowed me to lay my bike down on the freeway to avoid a wreck that occured in front of me. If not for that kind of off-road experience, I'm sure I would have decided to somehow ride out a skid instead of laying the bike down. A high-side would have killed me for sure, whereas a banged-up bike with asphalt burns is no big deal.

Went out this morning and noticed dew on the car. Ran inside and told my wife, asked her What's This All About!!

September. . . The rains are only a few weeks off. . .

frown

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
"Cagers" = people in cars. smile
OK, that makes more sense, then. Here I was thinking you were talking about basketball players eek which made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Oh, and my only attempts at riding were cut short by my inability to use hand brakes! :rolleyes:

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hmmm, I'm thinking about the "40+ males" comment. Not sure if it's inexperience, may just be the act of turning 40.

Within the same week, two guys at work had serious spills from their bikes. One guy was riding home from work and (somehow) the bike got away from him, and he ended up in the hospital for a few days, and off work for a few weeks. Not pleasant. The other guy (a "serious" amateur racer) took a spill during a race and broke his collarbone. Also not pleasant.

Don't know about you 40+ men! When we women hit 40, we do much more sensible things like color our hair blonde (or red, if we already were blondes) and decide we're really NOT too old to wear tube tops and get body piercings. laugh laugh Or we "pull a Martha" and decide that every stick of furniture in the house needs immediate replacement! laugh laugh

Nina

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N

September. . . The rains are only a few weeks off. . .

frown
Which means time to get out the snow tires on our side of the cascades. frown frown

So what are your favorite touring roads, rvaga?

As a "cager", it's the logging trucks that make the drive scary. They can really pick up speed going down some of those winding roads. eek

I'm heading to Portland next weekend so wave as you zip past my red minivan. smile

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Rich noted in an above post how a Harley guy dumped his bike. Total inexperience, I'll bet he never cracks the throttle on wet pavement with the wheel turned again! Hard way to learn a lesson, glad he wasn't hurt.

Heard statistics the other day, that the largest category of fatal accidents on motorcycles (donor mobiles...) are the 40+ adult males, who made lots of cash and now want to ride. So, they head to their Harley dealer, and buy a bike that they should not even be allowed to sit on, let alone ride.
Guess what? The guy was riding in a quite fashionable neighborhood and was WAaaayyy over 40. I would have guessed this was his first bike and first time on a slick road. Just a hunch though wink

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Kawasaki ZX9R (street) and Kawasaki KDX200 (street/off-road).

Unfortunately, I live in the UK where the summers are a joke, the fuel is taxed at 400% (I know!) and the Police are far too keen. My street bike's been off the road for a little while as I need to replace the chain/sprockets. I used to ride the KDX to work all the time but we've moved offices and it's a bit far to ride now - the KDX has no ignition and hence no steering lock, plus it's 2 stroke. If I broke down on it, I'd be pretty much stuck!

As for that bloke who broke his collar bone - happened to me also plus a cracked sternum - very painful and couldn't play the piano for ages! MY bike went over on diesel most likely spilled by a bus or lorry frown

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission