Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#861244 - 03/08/02 01:51 PM Pain...Should I be worried?
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
For a whole week now, I have been experiancing pain in my left foot. It feels like the pain is in one of my bones. I keep telling my dad about it, and he keeps saying that its nothing to worry about. Although the pain has considerably let up since early yesterday, and now I can barley feel it, I am still worried. Last year, a friend of mine at school died from cancer. When she was diagnosed with it, one of her symptons was a recourring pain in one of the bones in her right arm, so you can see why I'm worried. I don't know if I just did something to it and didn't realize it or what, but if the pain does come back, I'm going to have to see a doctor. So, should I be worried, or am I over-reacting over nothing? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Piano & Music Accessories
#861245 - 03/08/02 02:05 PM Re: Pain...Should I be worried?
Steve Miller Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Yorba Linda, CA
I propose that the formulation of a plan will go a long way toward easing your fears.

If it were me, I would make a plan to consult a doctor if the pain returns, or if it continues for another week.

Until then, no worries! \:\)

#861246 - 03/08/02 02:36 PM Re: Pain...Should I be worried?
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Hi jgoo,

I'm not a doctor, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express, last night. \:\)

In all seriousness, it sounds like you may be having the pain originate in the flexor tendons of the metatarsals, and that's just a wild guess. The foot pain can originate from poorly fitting shoes, flexion stress from a good game of basketball, or maybe even a lot of "expressive" pedaling on your piano.

Change up your routine a bit, refrain from vigorous physical activities, take a few acetaminophen or ibuprofen according to the bottle directions, and see if the pain disappears. If it doesn't after another few days, I would encourage Dad to make you an appointment with a physician, preferably an orthopedist.

And don't worry about dire illness. The chances of it being something like your friend had is quite remote. Get well soon! \:\)

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#861247 - 03/08/02 02:46 PM Re: Pain...Should I be worried?
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
I'm not an MD, but I am a DVM. So, if you are an animal in disguise, then we're all set! \:\) What kind of shoes do you wear? Do they have good arch supports? You don't play the piano barefoot, do you? Seems to me, Kenny strained his foot awhile back while trying to keep the pedals on his new piano clean - (he was playing without shoes on) Seriously, tincture of time is usually the best medicine, if your foot isn't any better in a week, go and see your doctor. Until then, take it easy - no rock climbing without your shoes on! \:\) Jodi

#861248 - 03/08/02 02:55 PM Re: Pain...Should I be worried?
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma City
And use shorter nails on those shoes. \:D

#861249 - 03/08/02 03:10 PM Re: Pain...Should I be worried?
Penny Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Juan Capistrano, CA
We still have the red "slippers" on our pedals to keep them clean. I suppose that's the piano version of plastic carpet runners, eh? I love to play barefoot. So I play in socks or slippers.

penny

#861250 - 03/08/02 03:38 PM Re: Pain...Should I be worried?
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
Thanks all, for your advice. If the pain comes back like it did, I will see a doctor. It was so bad that I could barely walk for a couple of days after it came without feeling intense pain, but I either got used to it or it started to go away. Right now it in a come-go state. But, the pain isn't near as bad as it was, so maybe I was just over-reacting over nothing.
As for playing the piano w/o shoes, the answer is yes and no. It all depends on wheather or not I'm wearing my shoes when I sit down to play. If I'm not, I'm not going to put them on just to play the piano. I usually have my shoes off when I know that I'm not going to be leaving home for a while. Theres really no point in leaving them on if that is so.

#861251 - 03/08/02 06:20 PM Re: Pain...Should I be worried?
ChemicalGrl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Durham, North Carolina
I'll have to admit - I'm one of those who plays the piano with bare feet or socks. We were not allowed to wear shoes in the house so I had gotten used to playing without shoes. Of course, whenever I played the piano outside of my house, since people couldn't see if I had shoes or not, I usually slipped them off. Now of course, if I get the chance to play a grand piano, I guess I won't be able to get away with hiding the stocking'd feet now, would I? \:D

#861252 - 03/08/02 08:31 PM Re: Pain...Should I be worried?
Allie Offline

jgoo: Have you tried icing your foot. Apply an ice pack to your foot for no more then 20 minutes and then leave it off for two hours or more before you ice it again. You should wear a really good supportive shoe for a while and like everyone else said stay off it. With any injury if you don't feel better within 3 to 4 days you probably aren't giving yourself enough time to heal. I am asuming you might have injured it and not even realized it (which by the way is an easy thing to do). Anyway, as others said don't worry about it too much unless you just can't shake it. Most doctors are going to tell you to stay off it for two weeks and see what happens. Hope that helps. Just to let you know my experience with foot injuries comes from working with high school runners for 10 years. Allie

What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (aDino, ajames, Alex1, Abby Pianoman, anamnesis, 42 invisible), 1751 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156280 Topics
2295170 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha DGX650 - looking for an alternative! Need advice
by Karinioza
48 minutes 42 seconds ago
Piano oriented film soundtracks/scores.
by aDino
Today at 11:21 AM
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
Today at 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
Today at 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
Today at 01:58 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission