2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

She was with me even in my grave
When the last of my friends turned away,
And she sang like the first storm heaven gave.
Or as if flowers were having their say.

- Anna Akhmatova, "Music"(Dedicated to Dmitri Shostakovich)
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks for sharing that video. This whole endless war is a tragedy. So many young lives sacrificed. There has got to be a better way for us all to live together, rather than annihilating each other every time something comes up.

We just keep blowing each other up. What does that solve? The munitions makers get billions, and our young are being slaughtered. They are brave wonderful young men and women and deserve our support. The best support we can offer is to bring them home as fast as possible. Gaby Tu

S
S
I agree 100% with Gabytu. We have no idea how hard it is on them. I can't imagine--they have all this heavy armor in very high heat and even that is insufficient protection. They never know who is safe and who is the enemy when dealing with the populace and when they end up shooting, it may or may not be an innocent person. The are over there protecting profit making interests??? Is that what their lives should be spent on?

Baldwin SF-10 320152, Marshall & Wendell, Steinway B
OP Offline
Thank you for the responses. I know the subject is "off topic", but I can't think of anything more ON topic than the Iraq War.

In Santa Monica, near where I live, there is a memorial called Arlington West. Every weekend, volunteers erect white crosses, one for every American servicemember killed over there, in the sand next to the historic pier. I was there recently. As the sun sank into the horizon, the shadows on the crosses all lengthened and stretched across the sand.
http://www.arlingtonwestsantamonica.org/

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Seeing all those crosses, and the flag drapped stand ready for another coffin, and reading all those statistics is just heartbreaking. Such a waste of young lives, and such a tragedy.
You are right. This is a very ON topic, and should be foremost in everyone's mind as we continue the slaughter of our own and other's lives. Been reading about the waterboard torture. My God, what have we as a nation become? Gaby Tu

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I have two pictures that I can send by email to your home - 1)is the Washington National Cemetary at Arlington VA at Christmas, the other 2) is about the Baghdag Symphony of citizens trying to get together to play and practice their music (an article about them).

If we were able make peace universally, I believe it it would be through sharing music.

Have you ever heard or seen one of their police bands from that part of the world? I totally differendt sound than what we hear in American mainstream.

I can't imagine what happens to a musician's spirit when caught in a war torn country.

Gabytu and DDS24P&FOP87, thanks for the off-topic, it is indeed about music.

Betty

Oh, the Horror, the Horror

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
You must be the change you want to see in the World. - Gandhi

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah a lot of people sure have died since MISSION ACCOMPLISHED was declared on May 1, 2003.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And after all this time and bloodshed, there has been practically no attempt by President Bush and his cronies to get any diplomatic talks started in Iraq. His policies have been a disaster for Iraq, this country and the world.

OP Offline
Originally posted by gabytu:
You are right. This is a very ON topic, and should be foremost in everyone's mind as we continue the slaughter of our own and other's lives.
Well, I watched both the Democratic and Republican debates, and I was disappointed how little time was spent on the Iraq War. This is also reflected in the polls wherein the economy is consistently #1.

Been reading about the waterboard torture. My God, what have we as a nation become?
Two words: Dick Cheney.
"Now, you can get into a debate about what shocks the conscience and what is cruel and inhuman. And to some extent, I suppose, that's[torture] in the eye of the beholder."

In the early nineties, I got to visit Cambodia, and got to visit the Genocide Museum, formerly the Tuol Sleng prison center used by the Khmer Rouge. On the walls, were photos of people taken before, during, and after they were tortured by the Khmer Rouge. There were also artist renderings of what took place there. I got to see one of a woman naked tied down on a wooden board, with her legs spread apart, and two Khmer Rouge about to insert into her vagina a scorpion and a huge centipede.

I also remember seeing this very painting of water-boarding that was also practiced there:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d5/Waterboard3-small.jpg

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
One more year of Bush and we can try to move on...

OP Offline
Mark -

Sadly, the Iraq War and occupation will outlast Bush's presidency. A lot more people are going to die....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't think there's any hope of an end to this without some kind of diplomacy with all sides participating - no chance of that with Bush, of course. Meanwhile, our very brave but exhausted and disillusioned troups are being forced to stay there year after year..

http://www.uslaboragainstwar.org/article.php?id=9939

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Elssa:
I don't think there's any hope of an end to this without some kind of diplomacy with all sides participating - no chance of that with Bush, of course.
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is in Baghdad this week (Today in January 16) praising Iraq's Prime Minister al-Malaki's' successes at healing "differences between the Shiite-led government and Iraq's other main groups..." (Associated Press news item).

I am not in favor of the war, but I am in favor of the truth. To say that the Bush administration has done basically nothing regarding diplomacy in Iraq is simply not true.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
"Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is in Baghdad this week (Today in January 16) praising Iraq's Prime Minister al-Malaki's' successes at healing "differences between the Shiite-led government and Iraq's other main groups..." (Associated Press news item)."

Oh that helps a lot. Rice is not an effective diplomat. She is the wrong person for the job, like almost everybody on the Bush team. She merely parrots Bush's rhetoric.

I will vote for any Democrat running this November. We need to end the reign of Republican madness.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
And Bush, back from a mid-East week long trip - he announces that he is willing to help Pakistan patrol it's borders in quest of Al Queda terrorists.

What about our borders? Canada and Mexico?

My heart goes out to all the service people who have served and are still serving.

Two of my present piano students have Dads' there. They are paying a price to when Dad or Mom serves in a war-zone. In the first Gulf War my oldest daughter served in Saudi Arabia for one year leaving 3 little boys behind. Those boys are now 18 - 23. Their pictures were on the front of USA today that Christmas Day, and their stepdad was holding down the fort at home in Mom's absence. This remarkable man quit his job to stay home and take care of his 3 stepsons, as he could not combine a full time job and be there for them. He chose them. Quite a former Marine! He is still their Dad.

People are doing heroics everyday in the military.

Betty

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
America Cannot Afford Bush's "Success"

http://www.washcodems.org/node/754

This piano forum is not the place for this thread. All the bleeding heart liberals will get the pages bloody. Just wait untill November, then next year you'll have a broad for president with her hubby to help take over...I mean run the country or a guy named Obahma... where we go with either is probably not even a place the worst liberals really thought we'd end up in. Beginning of the end folks.

Unplug the TV, don't read the depressing headlines, just make sweet music with your piano! wink

"All the bleeding heart liberals will get the pages bloody."

Yeah, how pathetic of us bleeding hearts liberals to care about Americans dying in Iraq. Get back to playing piano.

"a broad for president ... or a guy named Obahma".

Wow.

CW 1500, Yamaha P120
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission