Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#86941 - 07/08/08 11:40 PM Got the piano, now where to put it in the house?
clairol Offline

Loc: Southern California
We just purchased a new Yamaha T118. It will be delivered in 2 weeks. (it would have been delivered sooner, but we are leaving out of town for 2 weeks and I was more comfortable waiting until we get home) I have 2 choices of where to put the piano when it gets delivered:

1) On a wall that is next to a gas fireplace. It is an "outside" wall and we never, ever use the fireplace. The gas to it is shut off and it has glass doors that are always closed. Still... it's always possible that there may be a draft come in from time to time.

2) A long wall in the formal dining room that doesn't have any furniture in it. It is an "inside" wall.

All our floors are tile. I'm pretty sure the best place for it is the "inside" wall, but there's a good chance that we will be moving our office into the formal dining area to free up a bedroom. So, the piano would have to be moved to the "outside" wall anyway in the future.

What do you think??? To move it in the future would not be a long distance (maybe 15 feet) so should we start it in the dining area and then move it, or just start it next to the fireplace? I'm semi-worried about the "outside" wall aspect. Or am I worrying over nothing?

Thoughts??? Thanks for any replies!!! \:D

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#86942 - 07/09/08 01:14 AM Re: Got the piano, now where to put it in the house?
cah77388 Offline

Loc: Spring, Texas
Well, here is my 2ยข....
I would go with the quieter room. The room that has less traffic, and less distractions. I currently have a grand in the living room, but one can hear someone in the kitchen and dining room at my house, and sometimes its like a war to get the TV shut off. With that being said, when I want to learn a new song I have to have complete silence, which is why I kept my upright and moved it into my room.....I consider that my "learning" piano, then once committed to memory, I use the grand to polish everything up...I'm just picky when it comes to stuff like that, so maybe other noises wouldn't bother the one who is playing it.

#86943 - 07/09/08 01:33 AM Re: Got the piano, now where to put it in the house?
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I'd pick a spot where there won't be any direct sunlight shining on the piano. Also, avoid the kitchen or bathroom where moisture might affect the piano.

I think either one of your choices would work.

#86944 - 07/09/08 02:18 AM Re: Got the piano, now where to put it in the house?
Maestro Ng Offline

Loc: Auckland, NZ
What is mentioned above is true, but I think you'll be better off putting it next to the fireplace now, since you'll eventually have to move it there anyway.

Proud owner of a Schimmel K 189T and a Challen 130.

#86945 - 07/09/08 09:34 AM Re: Got the piano, now where to put it in the house?
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
As long as you're comfortable with never (and I do mean *never*) using the fireplace, I think either position would work... in which case I would suggest making the decision on the basis of aesthetic appeal (which location will it fit in better) and how easy it is to get to it and play. Myself, I like having a piano in the thick of things so I can stop and jot off a quick piece whenever I feel like it.

#86946 - 07/09/08 10:46 AM Re: Got the piano, now where to put it in the house?
MmmmBalf Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Does the outside wall have any windows in it? It's generally advised not to place pianos against outside walls as they're subject to higher temperature fluctuation, especially if there's a window nearby (even if direct sunlight doesn't hit the piano, the window can radiate more heat or cold than an inside wall will).

If the wall is well insulated with no windows nearby, it should be fine, but if it's not insulated or gets extremes of weather (eg north or west facing sun) then it's probably not advisable. Oh hang on, I'm southern hemisphere - that'd be south facing the sun for you right? ;\) You don't want it against a wall that's holding heat.

Balf

#86947 - 07/09/08 11:13 AM Re: Got the piano, now where to put it in the house?
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Whichever location you choose, it's usually better to install a vertical piano c.6" away from a wall.

#86948 - 07/09/08 12:10 PM Re: Got the piano, now where to put it in the house?
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Congratulations on your new piano. I have no advice regarding placement other than this; put it somewhere where you won't upset the other household members by playing while they are trying to watch television. I speak from experience in that regard. \:D

I wish I had a formal dining room or even a largish bedroom in which to place mine so as to get it out of the same room as my wife's television. The spare bedroom is probably large enough at 12 x 12.5, but we are using it as an office. I suppose there is conceivably room for the piano and the office, but it would be tight, and I would still have a problem with disturbing my wife while she plays her games.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your new piano!

flickr

#86949 - 07/09/08 12:37 PM Re: Got the piano, now where to put it in the house?
Phillip S. Offline

Loc: Washago, Ontario
 Quote:
Originally posted by TX-Dennis:

... same room as my wife's television. ...a problem with disturbing my wife while she plays her games. [/b]
I would suggest you get your wife a set of headphones.

#86950 - 07/09/08 01:59 PM Re: Got the piano, now where to put it in the house?
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Actually, noise cancelling, wireless headphones are a terrific idea. We have them for our stereo (if they still call them that--at least I did not say hifi), which means that my husband can listen to music no matter where he is in the house, and the stereo can be stashed in a corner somewhere.

In terms of outside walls, as you are in southern California, humidity, etc., is not much of an issue, is it? Do you have art hanging on outside walls? If you have art on the outside walls, and it does not get moldy on the back, I would think that the outside wall would not harm the piano. But that is just a theory.

#86951 - 07/09/08 02:23 PM Re: Got the piano, now where to put it in the house?
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Headphones changed my life. So I second that, still I have to use the digital when I play late.

I also added some noise traps on the wall. I have a small room, it avoids bounces.

#86952 - 07/09/08 04:57 PM Re: Got the piano, now where to put it in the house?
clairol Offline

Loc: Southern California
Thanks for all the advice! I appreciate it! The outside wall we are considering is north facing and seriously never gets any sun due to our neighbor's huge 2 story home (we have a 1 story). Our pipes actually froze last winter when SoCal had that big freeze and they are on the north side of our house. So, sun will not be an issue on that wall. \:\) We never, ever plan to use the fireplace, so another non-issue. There is a window on this wall, but it is on the other side of the fireplace and not near where the piano would be. If I was tech savvy enough I would upload a pic of the wall. Overall, it sounds like it will be just fine there so I think that's where we will put it, rather than starting it out in the formal dining room and then moving it later. Our home is a very "open" floor plan, so unless we are able to somehow put the piano in a bedroom, we will be able to hear the piano and TV at the same time. However, I'm sure we will be coming up with some rules as to when is an "ok" time to play and "ok" time to watch TV. Not both at the same time! ;\) I'm glad someone brought that up now though. I probably wouldn't have thought about it until the first argument. :p Thank You also for the 6" from the wall suggestion. I will do that.

Thank You all again for your help! You are so knowledgeable and it's very generous of you to share that with a complete stranger. \:\)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
103 registered (AndrewJCW, amv256, aesop, Almaviva, 28 invisible), 1483 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75908 Members
42 Forums
156875 Topics
2305085 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How does a composer/songwriter learn piano chords?
by amv256
Today at 09:49 PM
The Chair
by Brinestone
Today at 09:44 PM
Baldwin BJ124; Are Baldwins still quality?
by Benn
Today at 07:30 PM
Tuning levers
by AaronM
Today at 07:17 PM
Buying a Piano
by boppy75
Today at 06:24 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission