Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#870381 - 12/06/04 06:52 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Ballyhoo Offline

Loc: Australia
Hello Kathy. I'm not that new here, but I very rarely post in the Coffee Room. I've seen a lot of the nastiness here. But Larry seems genuine in his desire to make the Coffee Room friendlier. Why not give him a chance? In my opinion, your responses to him have not been constructive at all.

But I'll also say that, having read many of your posts, I do like you. (And I like Larry too.)

Quote:
Originally posted by kathyk:
Ballyhoo, I don't really know you, and see that you are very new here. Let me just say this. There is a long history here in which Larry has consistently played the part of antagonist in chief, (many liberal to moderate posters have fled because of the atmosphere) and again, if need be, I will resurrect threads to prove my points. [/b]

Piano & Music Accessories
#870382 - 12/06/04 06:52 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Larry, that's a challenge! I dare you to try to pull up vitriolic posts of mine that will even begin to stand to yours. Game? [Thinking: OOhhh boy, this'll be fun!]

#870383 - 12/06/04 06:55 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
yhabpo Offline

Well, let the lynching begin.

Quote:
That's truly sad, Kathy. You want political balance. I want harmony. I see people. You see ideology.
Do you see terrorists as people? I do. You don't. It all comes down to politics, doesn't it?

#870384 - 12/06/04 06:55 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Apple, the Tea Room, sweet as it is, was not my idea. I've *always* talked with the boys (and, of course, girls). I won't be relegated to the kitchen. Talk civily with me or I'll move on to the next educated group, thank you very much. Life is too short to waste on Cretons.

#870385 - 12/06/04 06:57 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country

#870386 - 12/06/04 07:02 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kathyk:
Larry, that's a challenge! I dare you to try to pull up vitriolic posts of mine that will even begin to stand to yours. Game? [Thinking: OOhhh boy, this'll be fun!] [/b]
From November 30th, one week ago

People can be so oblvious. I guess it's no great coincidence that all of the people who have spoken out and cited Larry's immoderate behavior as a prime factor as to why he would be a poor moderator are those who have been repeatedly, personally, degradingly, often obscenely and belligerently attacked by him. And conversely that the ones who find him so benevolent are the ones who largely share his political views, coddle and cajole him and otherwise, take care to not ruffle his very rufflable feathers. Wake up people. This kind of behavior is exactly what has driven countless people away from PW and the very type of behavior that should be routed out here.

And if anyone needs to be so childish as to blast me for my statement, go right ahead, but remember, I am not the one lobbying to be appointed PW Deputy Dog.

#870387 - 12/06/04 07:05 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

#870388 - 12/06/04 07:07 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

#870389 - 12/06/04 07:10 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
I wish folks would stop characterizing the schism as liberals vs. conservatives. There are plenty of nice conseratives here who make their points without heinous insults or sly digs.

No, the schism is between those who are unspeakably rude and those who are not. We will soon be a moderated forum, and not a minute too soon, if you ask me. Hopefully that will work as a permanent restraining order against those few who utter insults and engage in over-the-top meanness due to a persistent lack of self-control.

Larry, I sincerely hope you mean it this time. I really do. Nevertheless, I'm glad the boards will soon be moderated so that we can have a reasonable standard of civility for everyone once and for all.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

#870390 - 12/06/04 07:13 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I will let the posts to this point speak for themselves. I have tried to start a post for the purpose of celebrating the good will that we have enjoyed the last few days (days oddly enough, that Kathyk has been absent) and to promote that good will by personally apologizing for any ill will I have been responsible for. Others have shown up to attack that attempt. I'll let the reader by the judge of which is constructive, and which is not.

I would appreciate it however, if after speaking your mind on it, we can get past the current ill will being spread and get back to the meat of my original post.

#870391 - 12/06/04 07:14 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Cindy, well put (as usual).

(Are you a lawyer?)

#870392 - 12/06/04 07:15 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Jeffrey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
kathyk - (1) Welcome back. Love the diversity in this place. Seriously. If you want to talk only to people who agree with you, go ahead, but don't take it as a sign of intellectual superiority.

(2) The people you cite - JA and Netizen in particular - have been among the most vulgar, disgusting, and personally hostile in here. I can speak from experience, since I am "liberal" on social issues, and "conservative" on economic and foreign policy issues (and changed my views on Iraq to boot). I have been called a "braindead liberal" by Larry, as well as a "neocon winger" by you. Trust me on this, the "liberals" were in general (and are now) just as vulgar and hostile as the "conservatives." Get off the moral high horse.

(3) Instead of baiting Larry over and over again, why don't you start a post on something you care about and move forward?\

Best - Jeffrey

#870393 - 12/06/04 07:17 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

#870394 - 12/06/04 07:19 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Cindysphinx Offline

Larry:

Quote:
Do *not* phrase it as if I am the source of all problems.
Larry, had someone else started this post and cast themselves in the role of peacemaker, I'd be addressing my remarks to them. Since you started this thread, I addressed my remarks to you, primarily.

#870395 - 12/06/04 07:20 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Renauda Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yhabpo:
Well, let the lynching begin....Do you see terrorists as people? I do. You don't. It all comes down to politics, doesn't it? [/b]
As well as economics and class struggle. If you're looking for allied hearts in this battle you will be horribly disappointed with the liberals in this joint. They know nothing about history (including their own) and even less about economics. There is one exception but she's not here right now.

#870396 - 12/06/04 07:24 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

To your point (2) , Jeff: "The people you cite - JA and Netizen in particular - have been among the most vulgar, disgusting, and personally hostile in here. I can speak from experience, since I am "liberal" on social issues, and "conservative" on economic and foreign policy issues (and changed my views on Iraq to boot). I have been called a "braindead liberal" by Larry, as well as a "neocon winger" by you. Trust me on this, the "liberals" were in general (and are now) just as vulgar and hostile as the "conservatives." Get off the moral high horse.":

Hardly, Jeff. Show me *one* post where JA has been vulgar, and I will eat my hat. Nettie, and others here, have post with some vitriole, but only after having been prodded and prodded and then some. Therein lies the differnce. We post the ideas, fresh for debate. Larry (and ilk, but of late, he's the worst of the lot), post with personal invective, insult and perjorative. Again, when I have time, I'd be happy to back myself up with old posts. Larry, no doubt, is furiously purging old posts (he he!), but his history speak for him.

And to your point (3: " Instead of baiting Larry over and over again, why don't you start a post on something you care about and move forward?"

Believe me. I have no interest in baiting Larry. I'd be very happy to see him vaporized from here, as I am sure, he would me. I will not, however, stand by silently as he attempts to annoint and sanctify himself in the midst of the blood bath he has championed.
Best - Jeffrey [/qb][/QUOTE]

#870397 - 12/06/04 07:26 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

#870398 - 12/06/04 07:27 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Jack Frost Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eusebius:
Larry, nice-looking post. Now are you willing to take it a step further and extend an invitation out to those who have left - PJ, kenny, JA, netizen etc. - to return, along with a promise to abstain from using personal attacks and to argue on the basis of ideas alone? As you said, we are all guilty, and I myself am willing to make such a promise and I bet those people I mentioned are, too. (Well, JA needs to make no such promise as he has never been rude.) [/b]
I think Eusebius hits the nail on head here Larry. I have not read ahead to see how you or others respond. Nor do I want to take SIDES on every issue that has been raised.

I appreciate your initial post. It reads heartfelt to me and i am willing to give you that bebefit of the doubt.

At the same time, I will share two observations.

First: You more than any other poster on this forum PERSONALIZES the debate. Time after time JA or kathyk or cindysphinx will post an ISSUE and your response is not about the post but the poster. Their posts may be radical and vehement about the issue or even the public personnae involved but they do not refer to "Larry" and your reply invariably begins (or soon uses and emphasizes) the pronoun "you."

Second: (and this is based largely on hearsay since I have not been here as long as others and have not followed it closely) There are in fact a number of people, respected and valued by some, if not many, who have left the CR because of you and your allegedly relentless personalized attacks on themselves...NOT on their issues. There is a HUGE difference Larry, and the feeling among many of the liberals who do not feel comfortable or welcome anymore on this forum is that you do not respect or recognize that difference.

You have a tremendous amount of popular support here, as evidenced by recent posts, and I acknowledge and appreciate the spirit of the post that started this thread, but I do want to share with you my feeling, which I think is supported by many, that your posts more than any others (at least from the "right") are responsible for the polarization in the CR, the flight of liberals and others who feel unwelcome, and the acrimony that has been characteristic of the last few months here.

You have fashioned yourself lately as something of a leader here, and you have broad support among many members for that and I imply nothing to deny that for you. At the same time, by virtue of your leadership role, you have fostered among many an acceptance for the kind of personalized attack that has become commonplace for you.

If you really mean what you said in your initial post, you will spend some time assimilating what I have said rather than attacking me as a brain dead liberal with nothing of value to offer.

I may be wrong, and you should feel free to point out that I am, but that does not make me a bad or stupid person, which is the level to which a lot of your recent posts have fallen.

Your friend,

jf

#870399 - 12/06/04 07:29 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Renauda Offline
5000 Post Club Member

My heavens KathyK you are indeed prickly tonight. I've never seen you such a tizzy. Is something bothering you?

#870400 - 12/06/04 07:30 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

#870401 - 12/06/04 07:34 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Renauda:
My heavens KathyK you are indeed prickly tonight. I've never seen you such a tizzy. Is something bothering you? [/b]
Yes, thank yor for asking dear. And, "it" begins with an "L".

(Peacemaker indeed. [sputter, sputter]).

#870402 - 12/06/04 07:35 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Cindysphinx Offline

Larry, you have suggested (in this thread and others) that I am a part of the problem. If I haven't followed Frank's civility guidelines to the letter, I'd like to see some concrete examples of that. The mere fact that you don't like my views does not make me part of the problem -- assuming you agree with me that the problem here is a stunning lack of respect, common courtesy, fundamental decency and manners.

Further, please don't imply there is a conspiracy here between KathyK and me. I am saying what I am saying because I believe it, that's all.

Look, I'm all for civility, apologies, soul-searching, and all of that. I just don't think these are any substitute for moderation, regardless of what any of us say now that moderators will soon be with us.

#870403 - 12/06/04 07:35 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

quote:Originally posted by Renauda:
My heavens KathyK you are indeed prickly tonight. I've never seen you such a tizzy. Is something bothering you?

Yes, thank yor for asking dear. And, "it" begins with an "L".

(Peacemaker indeed. [sputter, sputter]).

#870404 - 12/06/04 07:36 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Jack Frost Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey:
(2) The people you cite - JA and Netizen in particular - have been among the most vulgar, disgusting, and personally hostile in here. [/b]
Jeffrey, this astounds me. Really?! I must have missed it. Can you provide some examples?

jf

#870405 - 12/06/04 07:36 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Well folks, I tried. I think the thread speaks for itself.

#870406 - 12/06/04 07:39 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma City
For what it is worth, I would love to see more civility from Larry. i have been guilty of excess in the past myself. however, I see only he and a few others actually admitting to their past incivility and those who either latly deny that they (or others) have ever engaged in it or insist that they only did when prodded by the incivility of others. That is, in short, a crock. I have been attacked on a number of occasions right out of the box having never said a thing directly to the person attacking and so have plenty ofr others here. I am all for civility but as long as some continue to insist that they are incapable of it or have never engaged in it while the record speaks volumes to the contrary then I am having a hard time believing that they are serious about anything other than stifling dissenting points of view.

#870407 - 12/06/04 07:40 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Larry. Back off. Stop the name calling, perjoratives and invectives, and perhaps all of us (those still here, that is - and a prayer goes up to our dearly departed martyrs) can still coexist. On the other hand, keep it up, and I *will* haunt you. And that is a promise.

#870408 - 12/06/04 07:41 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma City
Martyrs?!?!?

#870409 - 12/06/04 07:47 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Yes, JB, martyr. A term I've loosely used (in a biblical sense) for all of those departed b/c of the likes of Larry. The many sensitive posters.

I swear. If I had more time, I'd start an historical post of snippets. (What's that I heaR? The faint sound of shredding posts .. .

#870410 - 12/06/04 07:47 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question on Dampp Chaser installation
by electone2007
Today at 02:56 AM
Help to choose between upright Yamaha JU109 & Ritmuller110r2
by yurana
Today at 02:01 AM
I've got it! Who remembers that Steinway O project?
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 01:29 AM
A study of the practice behaviors of effective pianists
by lyricmudra
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Ease of play - Yamaha p35 or p105
by DeadPoets
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Who's Online
62 registered (AZNpiano, barbaram, beet31425, Anja, beeboss, 14 invisible), 1095 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76399 Members
42 Forums
157943 Topics
2319516 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission