Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#870561 - 12/07/04 10:15 AM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
 Quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

if it is kind, but not true, don't say it.
if it is true, but not kind, don't say it.

sometimes it is kindest to say things people would rather not hear, because it is for a greater good, but one can still do it with kindness.

[/b]
well that gave me a little giggle in the midst of tears. \:\)

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

Piano & Music Accessories
#870562 - 12/07/04 10:15 AM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
apple* Offline

whoops

#870563 - 12/07/04 10:29 AM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
 Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
You more than any other poster on this forum PERSONALIZES the debate. Time after time JA or kathyk or cindysphinx will post an ISSUE and your response is not about the post but the poster. Their posts may be radical and vehement about the issue or even the public personnae involved but they do not refer to "Larry" and your reply invariably begins (or soon uses and emphasizes) the pronoun "you."[/b]
And your point is? What is wrong with that? A person expresses a position and then someone else replies with "your analysis is wrong because" or "what you don't see is" or "you conveniently overlook the fact that" or any number of other replies that contain the word "you" or its variant. You inadvertently swerved into the truth, jf. There are people here who take an attack on their positions as personal attacks on them.

#870564 - 12/07/04 10:33 AM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Derick Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I think this thread has broken "the fastest growing thread ever" record.

Derick

#870565 - 12/07/04 10:52 AM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
gryphon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I wish folks would stop characterizing the schism as liberals vs. conservatives.[/b]
Perhaps that is because only liberals have left (and are the complainers).
 Quote:
We will soon be a moderated forum...Nevertheless, I'm glad the boards will soon be moderated[/b]
Have you read something that I haven't? I don't know this to actually be the case. I wouldn't be surprised if the CR remains unmoderated.

#870566 - 12/07/04 11:06 AM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
gryphon Offline

bcarey, I understand your post. Fine, then, if you state something, and I reply with a counter argument showing you where I think you are wrong, you have the opportunity to show me where I went wrong in my analysis of the facts or your position. That's what we do, discuss ideas and positions. If you just ignore my points where I've attempted to show you where you are wrong, then you haven't buttressed your position at all. And to do so in a condescending manner (you haven't been guilty of that) is not "civil," no matter how artfully you use polite discourse to "stick it to someone."

#870567 - 12/07/04 11:26 AM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
gryphon Offline

Quote:
*they're* doing something wrong because they politely maintain their position despite your pearls of wisdom?[/b]
Glad you don't make condescending remarks, Cindy. No, the point is a free exchange of ideas. If my pearls of wisdom are wrong, the civil thing to do would be to point out my flawed facts or logic, not ignore the arguments that just refuted the original points.

What so hard to undestand about that, you braindead moron!

:p

(How many smiley faces do I need to include to make sure you understand I was only kidding about the moron part?)

#870568 - 12/07/04 11:34 AM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

gryphon,
i can see how this would be annoying, to make a case against someone's point of view, and then just be ignored.

i know i am guilty of doing that.

when i do that, it isn't meant as an insult to the person who disagrees with me. it just means i have not been convinced by your argument, and i have neither the time or inclination to go back and forth point for point.

you are free at the point to say, why were you unconvinced by my argument?

a lot of times, i see the arguments that are put forth as so full of holes, i don't even know where to begin.

but more often, i decline to continue the debate because personal invective has crept in, and i know that i will just be wasting time and energy to try to really discuss the issue.

when people are civil and stay on topic, as opposed to veering off into personal animosity or broad brush description of my or "my" group's character, then i am happy to stay and do back and forth.

but if the first thing you say to me is that i'm a blind idealogue, then i don't want to play with you.

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#870569 - 12/07/04 11:54 AM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
 Quote:
Originally posted by Renauda:
KathyK I have a question for you. Did the 'dearly departed' send you here to stir the pot so they can enjoy the spectacle? [/b]
Absolutely not. Many of the dearly departed do not give a rat's lick (is that the right homespun term?) about what goes on in this room anymore. I came of my own volition because I *do* care about this room, and although I doubt I'll ever feel comfortable resuming regular posts here again, I said what I felt needed to be said. (And, wow, I have a lot more time on my hands!)

#870570 - 12/07/04 12:02 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
gryphon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
a lot of times, i see the arguments that are put forth as so full of holes[/b]
Yeah, but not mine. \:\)

#870571 - 12/07/04 12:35 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
Sorry, Gryphon, I don't wish to relive it. I saw enough on the days after the election to last a lifetime.

JKeene, I was thinking of some rather personal attacks that went far beyond what you linked.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

#870572 - 12/07/04 12:44 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
gryphon Offline

Well, Cindy, the reason I asked was because I only saw a couple, and they were by infrequent posters, not the usual suspects.

In fact, one of the first posts I made post-election was not to gloat but to start looking toward future elections, specifically would Hillary run and be the Democrat nominee in 2008. And true to form, JA made derisive comments about my post right out of the box.

#870573 - 12/07/04 12:44 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Cindysphinx Offline

Gryphon:

Quote:
Glad you don't make condescending remarks, Cindy. No, the point is a free exchange of ideas. If my pearls of wisdom are wrong, the civil thing to do would be to point out my flawed facts or logic, not ignore the arguments that just refuted the original points.
The mere fact that you disagree with my statement does not make it condescending.

Yes, Gryphon, I sometimes ignore people. I sometimes ignore you. There is a reason for that, which is that sometimes you go way, way over the top and are out of line (you surely are not the only one to do this, BTW). So I ignore you. Even when you call my name and keep bumping a thread to get my attention.

Ignoring someone who has crossed the line is not only my right but usually the very best thing for all concerned.

I feel fairly comfortable in saying that the very best thing here in CR is often to ignore someone or something that you feel is inappropriate.

Quote:
No, the point is a free exchange of ideas.
Well, I'd say the point is a free *expression* of ideas. No one can make anyone exchange ideas, nor is anyone obligated to reply to anyone just because a reply is desired.

#870574 - 12/07/04 12:47 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
gryphon Offline

Quote:
The mere fact that you disagree with my statement does not make it condescending.[/b]
No, the fact that it is condescending makes it condescending.

#870575 - 12/07/04 12:50 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Renauda Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kathyk:
 Quote:
KathyK I have a question for you. Did the 'dearly departed' send you here to stir the pot so they can enjoy the spectacle? [/b]
Absolutely not. Many of the dearly departed do not give a rat's lick (is that the right homespun term?) about what goes on in this room anymore. I came of my own volition because I *do* care about this room, and although I doubt I'll ever feel comfortable resuming regular posts here again, I said what I felt needed to be said. (And, wow, I have a lot more time on my hands!) [/b]
I'll take your word for it, but if you do not feel comfortable you may want to ask yourself "what am I saying or doing" and "how is it affecting other people". The same goes for Larry and everyone else around here for that matter- myself included. If we were to employ these two little questions more often prior to posting our rebuttals most of the rot would disappear independent of kangaroo court threads of truth and reconciliation or Soviet style show trials such as has occurred of late.

#870576 - 12/07/04 12:55 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Dan Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hey, how 'bout them Steelers?

#870577 - 12/07/04 01:01 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Dwain Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
You have to say that right - it's pronounced "Hahbaht dem Stillerss?"

#870578 - 12/07/04 01:03 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
 Quote:
I'll take your word for it, but if you do not feel comfortable you may want to ask yourself "what am I saying or doing" and "how is it affecting other people". The same goes for Larry and everyone else around here for that matter- myself included. If we were to employ these two little questions more often prior to posting our rebuttals most of the rot would disappear independent of kangaroo court threads of truth and reconciliation or Soviet style show trials such as has occurred of late. [/b]
You know, Ren, I normally do just that in the course of my interactions with others, but I am also not one to sit by silently as grievous wrongs are done.

#870579 - 12/07/04 01:03 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
gryphon Offline

Quote:
I'd say the point is a free *expression* of ideas. No one can make anyone exchange ideas, nor is anyone obligated to reply to anyone just because a reply is desired. [/b]
Looks like you've swerved into the truth, here. First jf, and now you. We post our thoughts, our ideas, and our positions. Others are free to disagree with them and show why they think they are right and the other is wrong. I try very hard to back up everything I say.

But you're right, it doesn't work if the other person holds his hands over his ears and says, "La, la, la, I can't hear you."

#870580 - 12/07/04 01:06 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
 Quote:
Originally posted by kathyk:
[QUOTE] but I am also not one to sit by silently as grievous wrongs are done. [/b]
That is not justification for additional grievous wrongs...

#870581 - 12/07/04 01:12 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Renauda Offline
5000 Post Club Member

And nor do you have to, KathyK. Anger is like a ball of black goo. It sticks to others. Right now that ball of goo is getting passed around to everyone that reads these threads and it is sticking to them.

We know you are angry, we know Larry is angry and we all feel angry for you and Larry together. I am angry too for my own failings but I don't wish to seek blame on others for it. But I don't care to have your anger, Larry's anger, Cindy's anger, Tom's anger, Pique's anger, Gryphon's anger, Apple's anger, Jolly's anger or anyone else's anger giving fuel to my own anger.

#870582 - 12/07/04 01:23 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma City
That was a very angry post, renauda.

#870583 - 12/07/04 01:24 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Englewood, FL
I loved it. It's exactly how I feel.

http://toosad4words.blogspot.com/

#870584 - 12/07/04 01:29 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
QuirtEvans Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: U.S.A.
"Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
*they're* doing something wrong because they politely maintain their position despite your pearls of wisdom?"

I don't think that's condescending. I think it's sarcasm. A technique that I have admitted I use far too often.

#870585 - 12/07/04 01:34 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
apple* Offline

Quote:
Anger is like a ball of black goo. It sticks to others. Right now that ball of goo is getting passed around to everyone that reads these threads and it is sticking to them.

[/b]
That is the most profound statement.

#870586 - 12/07/04 01:45 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

ok, so let's all just take a break for a while. go cool off. do something uplifting like play your pianos, play with your kids, call your mom, whatever it is that takes you to a better place in yourself.

then we can reconvene in a few days and see if people are in a more conciliatory and benevolent mood. the holidays are coming. we don't want to carry this bile forward into the christmas/channukah/kwanzaa season, do we? ;\)

i'm going to go take my own advice right now. \:\) see ya around in a few.

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#870587 - 12/07/04 01:48 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Dan Offline

that kid Rothlisberger is the real deal IMO.

#870588 - 12/07/04 01:50 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Cindysphinx Offline

My remark to which Gryphon takes exception is:

Quote:
Are some of you really and truly saying that if you lay out the Mother of All Rational Arguments and someone persists in their position anyway, that is uncivil? That *they're* doing something wrong because they politely maintain their position despite your pearls of wisdom?
That isn't condescension. Nor is it sarcasm (I think). No, it falls into the well-defined category of "Please tell me that this isn't what you're trying to argue before I *blast* it to a watery grave." Also known among the golfers as "teeing it up." ;\)

But if what I said doesn't accurately reflect your position, Gryphon, do point out how what I said that is off base. Because that's exactly how I interpreted it, and Bcarey already fully explained that people may not buckle in the face of your Killer Arguments because they might not in fact be Killer Arguments.

#870589 - 12/07/04 01:53 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Dan Offline

and man, the way the Eagles dismantled the Packers! I've got Akers and Westbrook on my fantasy team. Needless to say I creamed my opponent this week.

#870590 - 12/07/04 02:05 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Englewood, FL
I saw the Eagles a couple of times in concert. They were great!

http://toosad4words.blogspot.com/

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
82 registered (Allard, AZNpiano, AZ_Astro, 23 invisible), 1088 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157227 Topics
2309229 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"railroad track" symbol in Debussy
by Eric NYC
09/02/14 02:52 AM
P155 or FA-08
by Yussnan84
09/02/14 01:59 AM
Blac
by Aviram
09/01/14 11:56 PM
Blackbird - Piano Cover - The Beatles
by Aviram
09/01/14 11:49 PM
Kawai CA95 Recordings
by wolferblade
09/01/14 11:32 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission