Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#870591 - 12/07/04 02:08 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
I find that tropical fish are great companions...little swirling creatures...moving too and fro (how does one spell that?). And the snails! They are so cute...best of all, put a computer keyboard in front of them...and they seem to know instinctively when to leave things alone...

Piano & Music Accessories
#870592 - 12/07/04 02:10 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Englewood, FL
As a matter of fact, I saw the Eagles play the Baltimore Colts a few times. But, there was more action in the parking lot than on the field.

http://toosad4words.blogspot.com/

#870593 - 12/07/04 02:13 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
The 89th Key Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern Virginia
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
Hey, how 'bout them Steelers? [/b]
YEAH STEELERS!!! \:D \:D \:D \:D

I'm not joking when I say they are my favorite non-home team!

I like the redskins just as much, but they are a lost cause this season.

www.thecollegecritic.com
--- Integrity | Loyalty | Simplicity ---[/b]

#870594 - 12/07/04 02:20 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
 Quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
do point out how what I said that is off base.[/b]
I already explained it. You can reread what I wrote. Or I can give you a hypothetical:

Poster: argument is stated

Gryphon: I understand what you believe, but let's look at the facts. This is the "entire" statement this person said. Furthermore, citing stats I pulled from here URL and records I pulled from here URL you can see this is true and it would appear that your assertion is false. Can you back up what you previously stated and show what I said was wrong?

Poster: "La, la, la, I can't hear you."

If it makes you feel better, you may cite some actual threads showing how unpersuasive I am because my arguments are false. I am always open to criticism. \:\)

#870595 - 12/07/04 02:35 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Dan Offline

Loc: Colorado
I think we did a good job trading Portis for Bailey. Champ has had some *bad* moments, but overall I think we got the better of that deal.

#870596 - 12/07/04 02:40 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Kentcouncil Offline

Loc: Great Lakes
The Steelers are dominant, and Big Ben is the real deal... but I'll stick with my prediction for the Pats to repeat. (Go Pats! Yay Red Sox! Guess where I used to live?)

It wasn't so much the fact that the Eagles had a great night, but that the Pack laid down and died, with only the barest twitch from the rapidly stiffening corpse. Lot of Cheeseheads at work the next day wandering around shell-shocked...

#870597 - 12/07/04 02:42 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
gryphon Offline

I want to respond to what Debussy said in the Fallujah thread, but I don't wish to mix arguments, and rightly the positions articulated that I am citing came from this thread.

+++++

Quote:
Originally posted by Debussy in the Fallujah thread:
I think that respect for the troops should be independent of the politics of the war itself.[/b]
Good. I agree. Because we have people saying things here like there is nothing wrong with articulating fringe political positions and using Hitler comparisons. Like the following taken from a prominent liberal website using our troops to portray the administration as a bunch of Nazis.

#870598 - 12/07/04 02:43 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The thing with tropical fish is that one day they die...

I find that whenever that happens, it pretty much ruins my day. Still, I like the fact that they are pretty unobtrusive and don't make noise...or type or anything.

#870599 - 12/07/04 02:43 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
bcarey Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
 Quote:
Originally posted by gryphon:
bcarey, I understand your post. Fine, then, if you state something, and I reply with a counter argument showing you where I think you are wrong, you have the opportunity to show me where I went wrong in my analysis of the facts or your position. That's what we do, discuss ideas and positions. If you just ignore my points where I've attempted to show you where you are wrong, then you haven't buttressed your position at all. And to do so in a condescending manner (you haven't been guilty of that) is not "civil," no matter how artfully you use polite discourse to "stick it to someone." [/b]
gryphon,

Sorry to respond late which is sometimes the only way I can do it.

In defense of responding to someone's points, I don't know about the rest of the forum members but there are many times when I simply don't have the time. As a matter of fact I have posted hastily, only later to feel guilty that I couldn't stick around to participate in a point, counterpoint debate.

My absense from this forum prior, and after the elections (in case anyone noticed) was due to lack of time and travel. I felt it was unfair to insert a post and not stick around to defend my position, so I just didn't post.

We can't simply demand a response as I have seen happen on this forum. It takes time for some of us at least, to compose an informed and well thought out response. It doesn't necessarily mean we are ducking the question. It simply means life and duties have a higher priority. We must cut each other some slack.

Regarding the condescending attitude, we all have it at times. It's unavoidable, IMO, anytime you get a group of people talking about the subjects discussed in this forum. The blunt responses are also unavoidable. I'm that way, at times myself.

In my humble opinion, we all have to give some respect to the fact that this is a small part of all our lives and put it in perspective.

What is most important is that we must all keep in mind is that impressionable young people, often budding pianists, DO visit this forum. We should behave in the fashion in accordance with what we would want our own children to see here, just as we monitor what they see on TV. We should monitor our own behavior, and be a good example to them. I do think that's all Frank is asking of us.

#870600 - 12/07/04 02:46 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Grph...
I think i'd place your last post as a new thread...

Ken

#870601 - 12/07/04 02:54 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

kluurs,
Fish. I used to own fish. I remember when I was pregnant with my eldest I had preeclampsia. My OB suggested we buy an aquarium and for me to watch the fish everyday, for 10 minutes every hour, to bring down my blood pressure. We bought guppies. Well, the very next day, I watched mommy guppie eat 14 of her baby guppies. It didn't do much for the old blood pressure. So, we decided to get a Japanese fighting fish.

and, yes, you're right. Gryphon's post should go into a new thread.

#870602 - 12/07/04 02:58 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Dwain Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
"I remember when I was pregnant with my eldest I had preeclampsia."

Wow, did they give you pills for that, or what? I understand that with modern medicines, there's no danger to the baby. Hope everything worked out okay.

\:\)

#870603 - 12/07/04 02:58 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Mozart1969 Offline

Loc: Stresa, Italy
This has become the most ridiculous thread ever. What started off as a declaration, a humble saying of I'm sorry has turned into an inferno.

I have had a few run ins with Larry and have my own opinion of him - be it good or bad. I appreciated his initial message. From then on.....well. It really is something else.

A newcomer that reads this thread will certainly get a very bad idea of this forum.

Come on everyone. Put your pride to one side. You've had your toes trodden on, your pride has been hurt but 10 pages of absolute ranting is NOT going to get anyone anywhere. It is quite idiotic. Lunacy. I have almost felt that some people just want to argue and argue and argue and get the last word. There is a limit.

We all get our pride hurt sometimes (and I believe it is pride - well in Italian it is Orgoglio - not sure of the exact translation - that is at the root of this......but we always pick ourselves up and get on with things. Time has come for some of you to being doing exactly this. It is difficult sometimes but it is the most noble thing to do in the situation that has evolved here.

I'm sure lots of people are fed up with these ongoing insults. I certainly am. This isn't helping Frank at all. To be honest I'd close the whole thing down.

#870604 - 12/07/04 03:04 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
sarah_blueparrot Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, England
Mozart - you are right - in Spanish it is 'orgullo' & in French, 'orgeuil'.
Interestingly enough, in both languages the word 'pride' also translates directly to 'arrogance'.

#870605 - 12/07/04 03:04 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dwain Lee:

Wow, did they give you pills for that, or what? I understand that with modern medicines, there's no danger to the baby. Hope everything worked out okay.

\:\) [/b]
This was 21 years ago and there were no meds available. My OB/GYN was excellent. The most wonderful doctor in the whole wide world. I wonder if Johnmoonlight knows him. Anyhow, my son was two months early and only weighed 2 lbs 5 oz. We named him "Nathaniel" meaning a "gift from God." With my youngest son 18 years ago, they put me on blood pressure medicine. He was born a little bigger at 3lbs 6oz.

I am blessed. and, I know it. \:\)

#870606 - 12/07/04 03:06 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
SoftwareResearch Offline

Loc: Germany
If I were Frank, I'd divide the CR into the "Left CR" and the "Right CR", and every poster could only read and post in the CR of his choice ;\)

#870607 - 12/07/04 03:10 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
gryphon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
Grph...
I think i'd place your last post as a new thread...[/b]
Well, I thought about it, but then again it is a direct response to positions articulated in this thread. Now tropical fish, that's a bit out of place here. \:\)

#870608 - 12/07/04 03:11 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Dan Offline

Never saw the Eagles perform. But as for dead fish, Miami is in town this weekend. We should be able to float them upside down relatively easily.

I’m worried tho about the Donkeys slipping into the last playoff spot. That would put us in Indy or SD the first week, then in NE or Pittsburg the next week if we got a win. That whole scenario could get really ugly…

Gryp and others,
No disrespect intended. But we’re workin hard here to hijack this thread. Hope you understand.

#870609 - 12/07/04 03:11 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
Wow, 2 lbs, 5 oz? Wow. Did he have to be in the hospital for awhile? That must've been tough.

Mine were 9 lbs, and 9 lbs 12.5 oz. (Yeeeouch)

\:\) Jodi

#870610 - 12/07/04 03:13 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
gryphon Offline

Well, Mozart, quoting piqué from page 9 of this thread, in response to 89th key, if you don't want to read it, "how about if you ignore the thread?"[/b]

#870611 - 12/07/04 03:15 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Dan Offline

JODI!!

Did ya use an MD or a DVM for the delivery?!

(Just kidding as I'm sure you know...) ;\)

#870612 - 12/07/04 03:15 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jodi:

Mine were 9 lbs, and 9 lbs 12.5 oz. (Yeeeouch)

\:\) Jodi [/b]
Wow!

Yes, the oldest had to stay in the Neonatal unit for almost 2 months. He was so pathetic. They used face masks for diapers!

The youngest got to come home with me from the hospital even though he was under weight because I already had experience with a preemie.
\:\)

Both are very healthy, now. Nate was captain of the varsity Baseball team (a catcher) and Brian is 6'2". \:\)

#870613 - 12/07/04 03:17 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Dan,
I assume your a Pirates fan, also?

#870614 - 12/07/04 03:17 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Dwain Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justme:
 Quote:

\:\) [/b]
This was 21 years ago and there were no meds available. My OB/GYN was excellent. The most wonderful doctor in the whole wide world. I wonder if Johnmoonlight knows him. Anyhow, my son was two months early and only weighed 2 lbs 5 oz. We named him "Nathaniel" meaning a "gift from God." With my youngest son 18 years ago, they put me on blood pressure medicine. He was born a little bigger at 3lbs 6oz.

I am blessed. and, I know it. \:\) [/b]
Boy, do I feel like an idiot. I didn't read your post correctly. I thought preeclampsia was some kind of tropical fish, and I was trying to make a wisecrack, making up things (I thought)about how it was a health condition!

Very glad everything really did come out okay.

#870615 - 12/07/04 03:18 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Dwain,
ROTFLMAO

#870616 - 12/07/04 03:22 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Mozart1969 Offline

Loc: Stresa, Italy
 Quote:
Originally posted by gryphon:
Well, Mozart, quoting piqué from page 9 of this thread, in response to 89th key, if you don't want to read it, "how about if you ignore the thread?"[/b] [/b]
To be honest I got so fed-up reading the rants that I skipped through and didn't notice that.

#870617 - 12/07/04 03:23 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
Gryphon,

I think that most people will engage with you if you do simply state your piece and provide some facts in the manner you describe.

With all due respect, I don't think that is necessarily the reason people might have ignored you (to the extent this happened). BCarey set forth a few reasons why people might have chosen to ignore you or simply missed your post. There's also the point that the mere fact that you attach an URL does not mean I believe your source to be beyond reproach.

Further, if you feel you've been ignored, it might well have been a heated thread in which the person discussing things with you felt you crossed the line. Only recently, you were demanding I engage with you on the topic my status here as a non-subscriber. Suffice it to say that the reason I didn't reply to you despite your request was not that I found your arguments overwhelming. I just thought it was time to flip the "Ignore" switch.

Is it civil to depart a conversation that has become personal and pointless? In a word, absolutely.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

#870618 - 12/07/04 03:23 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
 Quote:
.. I thought preeclampsia was some kind of tropical fish.. [/b]
Like preeoysterpsia, or preemusselpsia? Silly Dwain - those are mollusks, not fish!

\:D \:D \:D

#870619 - 12/07/04 03:24 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Dwain Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I should have said, preeclampsia, eh? They're really beautiful, but tricky to keep in captivity. And you can only have one of them in the aquarium, because if there are more than one, they'll fight each other to the death!

#870620 - 12/07/04 03:27 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Dan Offline

I've never gotten into watching baseball for some reason. I enjoyed playing when I was younger, but I don't really have a favorite team.

I not even really a Steelers fan. I just know and appreciate talent when I see it. I'm a Denver Bronco fan all the way. Got season tickets and everything.

edit: I just figured with the demographics around here "How about them Broncos" wouldn't be a good way to hijack the thread...

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (Allard, aDino, ajames, 36251, aesop, 36 invisible), 1480 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156332 Topics
2295993 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
August Piano Bar, drinks on the house
by Peyton
08/01/14 09:40 AM
I just read this at the Yamaha FAQ website
by BrianDX
08/01/14 09:21 AM
Schimmel DUO piano
by wimpiano
08/01/14 08:56 AM
Feurich 190 cm grand from 1920 - Is it any good?
by pinkfloydhomer
08/01/14 08:16 AM
Who's gigging with MP11
by 36251
08/01/14 07:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission