Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#870351 - 12/06/04 05:34 PM Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
Ok, it's like this. There are a *lot* of wonderful people here. We all have flaws. We all have views. We used to be able to express those views, and even expose our warts and flaws, without getting ****ed off at each other. We could have a discussion, even a heated debate, and not end up going personal with it.

Somewhere along the way, a "meanness" found root, and grew. I know where *I* think the root is, others see the root growing somewhere else. Some think it is this person, some think it is that person. Some think it is me. Some think it is you. I'm guilty of getting too "mean" at times. So are you. So is she. So is he. So are they. So what?

We just went through a major turning point, with dire predictions about the CR "dying", talk of rampant departure to other forums, and on and on. It came to a "head" so to speak. A few don't post here anymore. Fine. People do come, and people do go. But if they left, it isn't my fault, it isn't your fault, it isn't his fault, it isn't her fault - it is *their* fault.

Why? Because as we have seen in other recent threads, this is a community made up of some of the brightest, most interesting, and most friendly and fun loving people you'll find anywhere. And by and large, we get along just fine.

I submit to you that we *all* have allowed our skins to get a little too thin lately, and we need to fix that. People will *always* say the wrong things sometimes, they will *always* dig a little too hard, make a joke or a comment that gores someone's sacred cow, but I have to tell you folks, other than a few trolls or new posters with obvious agendas toward others, I can't think of a single *one* of you that I think wishes any ill will toward someone else. I know *I* don't.

The CR isn't dying. It isn't in trouble. Will someone post something 2 minutes after this goes up that gores someone's sacred cow? Sure. Will someone say something controversial, or something that doesn't set well with your particular political view? Yep. Will they do it with malice? Nope. Not a one of us. At least, none of the folks I see posting here lately. Will they have passion behind their position? Sure. Will they turn right around and buy you a tank of gas if you need it? Yep.

So I'm going to ask every one of you to do something. I'm going to ask you to relax. No one here means anyone here any harm. We just don't all agree on everything. That's normal. We need to be able to discuss those things, and yes, *argue* if we want to - without one or the other getting a skin rash because they forgot to remember that the person they are arguing with actually is a nice person, a friend who means them no harm, someone who would turn right around and buy you a tank of gas if you needed it. Remember that no one is always right, everyone thinks they are, and don't take things so seriously that you fail to remember these things.

We can question why this place has gotten friendlier the last few days all we want - the fact remains...... this place has gotten friendlier the last few days. Can't you feel the breath of fresh air blowing through our halls? I can.

Some of you new members may think I'm an ogre. I probably helped you come to that conclusion. So let me apologize for my missteps, and introduce myself to you. I'm a nice guy with a wicked sense of humor, and a bit of a blunt style on occasion. Many times that's a plus. Sometimes that's a fault. Bear with me. I'm here to have fun, just like you.

Quirt, I apologize for being mean to you. I thought you were an *******, but then I found out you have an excuse from the bar association...... ;\) (just kidding)..... seriously, let's shake hands and be friends. That doesn't mean I won't challenge you, or that you won't challenge me. It just means we'll do it knowing we're friends, and friends only beat each other so hard, and then they stop because, well.... they're friends. I picked Quirt because I can recall being mean to him, if anyone else recalls me being mean to them, I extend the same apology to you.

There. That's it. Let's open the windows and let the last of the stale air out, and breathe deeply.

Piano & Music Accessories
#870352 - 12/06/04 05:39 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
yhabpo Offline

Is this a satire? How can a vulgar rant be an apology when we, the common people, are objecting to that particular crass behaviour?

#870353 - 12/06/04 05:45 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

#870354 - 12/06/04 05:55 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Well, aren't you the happy little king atop your self-proclaimed mountain. No more gorin'; 000h - what warm fuzzies!. Indeed, you've managed to run off all those pesky liberal [and many moderate) vermin who always make make you misbehave (anyone remember, "THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT!"?) Damn, if it weren't for them I'd be sooo goodl

Peacemaker! :rolleyes: Sheeeesh!

#870355 - 12/06/04 05:57 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Harpo Offline

Loc: Following you
 Quote:
Originally considered by yhabpo:
Is this a satire? How can I turn an apology into a vulgar rant when I, a most common and inconsiderate person, objects to any attempt by others to show friendship toward me? [/b]

#870356 - 12/06/04 05:57 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
katie_dup1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
yhabpo: Normally I'm a quiet and friendly person. Presently, I'm wondering if someday, you'll skin yourself badly in one of these forums, and get your derriere kicked. I don't like you at times dude. You need to change your attitude.

#870357 - 12/06/04 05:59 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

You apparently didn't get ran off too far Kathy, you sure were johnny on the spot in replying to this thread.

Well, as we all know, when you pop a pimple the puss has to run out.

Anyone else who only defines themselves based on their political views need to vent their spleens?

#870358 - 12/06/04 05:59 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Harpo, take my advice - stick to slapstick.

#870359 - 12/06/04 06:02 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Katie, I like you, but I don't like what has become of the CR since the liberal exodus. YH is a not yet jaded, CR liberal poster, willing to wrangle with the masses here. Do you really think you want to run off the last liberal here?

Ahh, I guess it's a lost cause.

(Larry, peacemaker - [chortle, chortle!]. What's in that pipe you're smokin' Larry?

#870360 - 12/06/04 06:03 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

#870361 - 12/06/04 06:06 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Well,that obviously hasn't worked with you Larry, the poster who has merited the most of my spiteful retorts here - in spades.

Even a rug will finally buckle up and trip the feet that continue to kick it!

#870362 - 12/06/04 06:07 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

#870363 - 12/06/04 06:13 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Larry, in spite of your fantasies, PW is not your fiefdom, so pleeeez, back off, and let the place be what it will be.

(Backbiting indeed. Who was Jim Crow again?)

#870364 - 12/06/04 06:14 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
katie_dup1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
No offense KathyK ... but my comments were directed toward yhabpo. I could care less if he, you, Larry, Harpo, or anyone else here is liberal, conservative, democrat, republican, left, right, or whatever. And most people who know me, realize this.

#870365 - 12/06/04 06:19 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I understand, Katie, but what I wish you would understand is that the the compostiion of members here has suddently become replete of left of moderate posters and there is a *REAL* cause and effect. Maybe that is just okay by you and the others who remain. My sense is, it's not so, because what's left is a pretty unbalanced. place. I appeal to you Katie, because you seem a sensitive and balanced person.

My small request to you: Look beyond your own biases (we all have them) and be a moderator in your own right and speak up when you see injustices.

And sew on . .. .

#870366 - 12/06/04 06:22 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

#870367 - 12/06/04 06:25 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Larry, you've been lobbying feverishly ever since the idea of moderators came up. You want nothing more than take charge here. I will move on if this place proves to be uncoducive to civil discourse. I can do that and survive. Can you say the same?

#870368 - 12/06/04 06:29 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

#870369 - 12/06/04 06:31 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
sigh....................

:rolleyes:

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#870370 - 12/06/04 06:33 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

You want nothing more than take charge here.[/b]

All I want is to see people get along. I fail to see how trying to promote good will and apologizing for my part in any ill will is "taking charge". Sounds more to me as if *you* wanted to take charge, and you're mad because you failed. Whatever your desires, your poor attitude is clear as a bell.

If you have a problem with my attempts to promote good will and friendship bothers you, then yes, you might as well leave. Because that's what you're going to get from me, and I will not stop in my attempts to make peace until I have succeeded.

#870371 - 12/06/04 06:35 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Eusebius Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Larry, nice-looking post. Now are you willing to take it a step further and extend an invitation out to those who have left - PJ, kenny, JA, netizen etc. - to return, along with a promise to abstain from using personal attacks and to argue on the basis of ideas alone? As you said, we are all guilty, and I myself am willing to make such a promise and I bet those people I mentioned are, too. (Well, JA needs to make no such promise as he has never been rude.)

#870372 - 12/06/04 06:36 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Ballyhoo Offline

Loc: Australia
Kathy, you can tell me to mind my own business if you want to, but I think you're being unfair to Larry. I think his first post in this thread was a great attempt to make the Coffee Room a better, friendlier place.

And by the way Kathy, I'm on your side when it comes to politics. I was very disappointed that George Bush won your election.

#870373 - 12/06/04 06:37 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

And neither have you, Eusebius, except when you've been viciously attacked.

#870374 - 12/06/04 06:39 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Eusebius Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you for your support, kathy, but I have in fact taken some unfair jibes at lb and 89th of which I am not proud.

#870375 - 12/06/04 06:39 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
apple* Offline

Kathy - do you know about the tea room?

#870376 - 12/06/04 06:40 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

#870377 - 12/06/04 06:40 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Ballyhoo, I don't really know you, and see that you are very new here. Let me just say this. There is a long history here in which Larry has consistently played the part of antagonist in chief, (many liberal to moderate posters have fled because of the atmosphere) and again, if need be, I will resurrect threads to prove my points.

#870378 - 12/06/04 06:45 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

#870379 - 12/06/04 06:48 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
apple* Offline

oh please Kathy...

give it a rest. There are those who feel as you do.. that Larry is whatever you choose to call him and they are comfortable separate from Larry.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/forum/19.html

Go enjoy yourself.. have some fun. That is what this forum is for... Share in the humanity here, positively.. You'll feel better and will want to come back soon I hope. I miss you.

#870380 - 12/06/04 06:50 PM Re: Imagine that....... *me* - the peace maker.......
Eusebius Offline
500 Post Club Member

Care to answer my question, Larry?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
help with finger numbers in this piece...
by PianoKimmy
09/18/14 05:35 AM
Most Difficult?
by SiFi
09/18/14 01:21 AM
What is most common size wire to break?
by Ed McMorrow, RPT
09/18/14 12:19 AM
Will this Piano Room have good Acoustics?
by flamenco88
09/17/14 10:59 PM
Proud new owner of a Yamaha P22
by amanda416
09/17/14 09:04 PM
Who's Online
97 registered (3times2, Abby Pianoman, Al LaPorte, AliAlkhiro, alexbergauer, 26 invisible), 1041 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157598 Topics
2314907 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission