2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Cindy, well put (as usual).

(Are you a lawyer?)

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
kathyk - (1) Welcome back. Love the diversity in this place. Seriously. If you want to talk only to people who agree with you, go ahead, but don't take it as a sign of intellectual superiority.

(2) The people you cite - JA and Netizen in particular - have been among the most vulgar, disgusting, and personally hostile in here. I can speak from experience, since I am "liberal" on social issues, and "conservative" on economic and foreign policy issues (and changed my views on Iraq to boot). I have been called a "braindead liberal" by Larry, as well as a "neocon winger" by you. Trust me on this, the "liberals" were in general (and are now) just as vulgar and hostile as the "conservatives." Get off the moral high horse.

(3) Instead of baiting Larry over and over again, why don't you start a post on something you care about and move forward?\

Best - Jeffrey

Larry Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Larry:

Do *not* phrase it as if I am the source of all problems.
Larry, had someone else started this post and cast themselves in the role of peacemaker, I'd be addressing my remarks to them. Since you started this thread, I addressed my remarks to you, primarily.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by yhabpo:
Well, let the lynching begin....Do you see terrorists as people? I do. You don't. It all comes down to politics, doesn't it?
As well as economics and class struggle. If you're looking for allied hearts in this battle you will be horribly disappointed with the liberals in this joint. They know nothing about history (including their own) and even less about economics. There is one exception but she's not here right now.

"The older the fiddle, the sweeter the music"~ Augustus McCrae
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
To your point (2) , Jeff: "The people you cite - JA and Netizen in particular - have been among the most vulgar, disgusting, and personally hostile in here. I can speak from experience, since I am "liberal" on social issues, and "conservative" on economic and foreign policy issues (and changed my views on Iraq to boot). I have been called a "braindead liberal" by Larry, as well as a "neocon winger" by you. Trust me on this, the "liberals" were in general (and are now) just as vulgar and hostile as the "conservatives." Get off the moral high horse.":

Hardly, Jeff. Show me *one* post where JA has been vulgar, and I will eat my hat. Nettie, and others here, have post with some vitriole, but only after having been prodded and prodded and then some. Therein lies the differnce. We post the ideas, fresh for debate. Larry (and ilk, but of late, he's the worst of the lot), post with personal invective, insult and perjorative. Again, when I have time, I'd be happy to back myself up with old posts. Larry, no doubt, is furiously purging old posts (he he!), but his history speak for him.

And to your point (3: " Instead of baiting Larry over and over again, why don't you start a post on something you care about and move forward?"

Believe me. I have no interest in baiting Larry. I'd be very happy to see him vaporized from here, as I am sure, he would me. I will not, however, stand by silently as he attempts to annoint and sanctify himself in the midst of the blood bath he has championed.
Best - Jeffrey [/qb][/QUOTE]

Larry Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Eusebius:
Larry, nice-looking post. Now are you willing to take it a step further and extend an invitation out to those who have left - PJ, kenny, JA, netizen etc. - to return, along with a promise to abstain from using personal attacks and to argue on the basis of ideas alone? As you said, we are all guilty, and I myself am willing to make such a promise and I bet those people I mentioned are, too. (Well, JA needs to make no such promise as he has never been rude.)
I think Eusebius hits the nail on head here Larry. I have not read ahead to see how you or others respond. Nor do I want to take SIDES on every issue that has been raised.

I appreciate your initial post. It reads heartfelt to me and i am willing to give you that bebefit of the doubt.

At the same time, I will share two observations.

First: You more than any other poster on this forum PERSONALIZES the debate. Time after time JA or kathyk or cindysphinx will post an ISSUE and your response is not about the post but the poster. Their posts may be radical and vehement about the issue or even the public personnae involved but they do not refer to "Larry" and your reply invariably begins (or soon uses and emphasizes) the pronoun "you."

Second: (and this is based largely on hearsay since I have not been here as long as others and have not followed it closely) There are in fact a number of people, respected and valued by some, if not many, who have left the CR because of you and your allegedly relentless personalized attacks on themselves...NOT on their issues. There is a HUGE difference Larry, and the feeling among many of the liberals who do not feel comfortable or welcome anymore on this forum is that you do not respect or recognize that difference.

You have a tremendous amount of popular support here, as evidenced by recent posts, and I acknowledge and appreciate the spirit of the post that started this thread, but I do want to share with you my feeling, which I think is supported by many, that your posts more than any others (at least from the "right") are responsible for the polarization in the CR, the flight of liberals and others who feel unwelcome, and the acrimony that has been characteristic of the last few months here.

You have fashioned yourself lately as something of a leader here, and you have broad support among many members for that and I imply nothing to deny that for you. At the same time, by virtue of your leadership role, you have fostered among many an acceptance for the kind of personalized attack that has become commonplace for you.

If you really mean what you said in your initial post, you will spend some time assimilating what I have said rather than attacking me as a brain dead liberal with nothing of value to offer.

I may be wrong, and you should feel free to point out that I am, but that does not make me a bad or stupid person, which is the level to which a lot of your recent posts have fallen.

Your friend,

jf

"Make the pie higher." GWB
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
My heavens KathyK you are indeed prickly tonight. I've never seen you such a tizzy. Is something bothering you?

"The older the fiddle, the sweeter the music"~ Augustus McCrae
Larry Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Renauda:
My heavens KathyK you are indeed prickly tonight. I've never seen you such a tizzy. Is something bothering you?
Yes, thank yor for asking dear. And, "it" begins with an "L".

(Peacemaker indeed. [sputter, sputter]).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Larry, you have suggested (in this thread and others) that I am a part of the problem. If I haven't followed Frank's civility guidelines to the letter, I'd like to see some concrete examples of that. The mere fact that you don't like my views does not make me part of the problem -- assuming you agree with me that the problem here is a stunning lack of respect, common courtesy, fundamental decency and manners.

Further, please don't imply there is a conspiracy here between KathyK and me. I am saying what I am saying because I believe it, that's all.

Look, I'm all for civility, apologies, soul-searching, and all of that. I just don't think these are any substitute for moderation, regardless of what any of us say now that moderators will soon be with us.

Larry Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
quote:Originally posted by Renauda:

Yes, thank yor for asking dear. And, "it" begins with an "L".

(Peacemaker indeed. [sputter, sputter]).

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Jeffrey:
(2) The people you cite - JA and Netizen in particular - have been among the most vulgar, disgusting, and personally hostile in here.
Jeffrey, this astounds me. Really?! I must have missed it. Can you provide some examples?

jf

"Make the pie higher." GWB
Larry Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Well folks, I tried. I think the thread speaks for itself.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
For what it is worth, I would love to see more civility from Larry. i have been guilty of excess in the past myself. however, I see only he and a few others actually admitting to their past incivility and those who either latly deny that they (or others) have ever engaged in it or insist that they only did when prodded by the incivility of others. That is, in short, a crock. I have been attacked on a number of occasions right out of the box having never said a thing directly to the person attacking and so have plenty ofr others here. I am all for civility but as long as some continue to insist that they are incapable of it or have never engaged in it while the record speaks volumes to the contrary then I am having a hard time believing that they are serious about anything other than stifling dissenting points of view.

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Larry. Back off. Stop the name calling, perjoratives and invectives, and perhaps all of us (those still here, that is - and a prayer goes up to our dearly departed martyrs) can still coexist. On the other hand, keep it up, and I *will* haunt you. And that is a promise.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Martyrs?!?!?

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, JB, martyr. A term I've loosely used (in a biblical sense) for all of those departed b/c of the likes of Larry. The many sensitive posters.

I swear. If I had more time, I'd start an historical post of snippets. (What's that I heaR? The faint sound of shredding posts .. .

Larry Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission