2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
how about if you ignore the thread?

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the most tempting moment."

Truer words have rarely been spoken, and equally rarely observed.

A few thoughts:

A personal attack can be just as vulgar, if not more so, for its content, and not dependent on its use of profanity. There is a difference, and if forced into chosing, I'll take profanity over vulgarity any day.

Ill-spoken words, even if forgiven, are never entirely erased or forgotten no matter how much we may want them to be. If they can't ever be completely erased, we should try to erase them as much as possible, and most importantly, ask forgiveness for them. That won't totally erase the ugliness, but sometimes its the best we can hope for in interacting with each other.

The first step is to recognize the ugliness and vulgarity for what it is - and it is all of ours - and not justify it as a result of drunkenness, letting off steam, putting someone in his/her place, standing up for someone else, or even responding to someone else's ugliness against yourself.

It's not a necessary part of rough and tumble argument over issues. Strong minds of any political viewpoint can overcome it, if they want to. It's wrong, it's hurtful, it's obsessive, and it's not worthy of the great and wonderful intellects of all flavors that haunt these forums.

NAK Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by The 89th Key:
[b] CAN EVERYONE JUST IGNORE THIS THREAD AND LET IT DIE.

EITHER STAY IN THE COFFEE ROOM OR LEAVE.

ALL THIS TALK IS DOING NOTHING.
[/b]
Now you know how we feel. wink

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
It's not a necessary part of rough and tumble argument over issues. Strong minds of any political viewpoint can overcome it, if they want to. It's wrong, it's hurtful, it's obsessive, and it's not worthy of the great and wonderful intellects of all flavors that haunt these forums.
well said, dwain.

makes me think of the buddhist precept of right speech: ask yourself before you say something, is it true? is it kind?

if it is kind, but not true, don't say it.
if it is true, but not kind, don't say it.

sometimes it is kindest to say things people would rather not hear, because it is for a greater good, but one can still do it with kindness.

not saying by any means that i have always exemplified this precept!

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Q
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Q
"The most important thing any of us could do is not to try to get the last word. I have seen threads drag on till they become repugnant cess pools just because no one would quit throwing insults. It seems to be a personality flaw with some."

Guilty, Your Honor. I humbly request a suspended sentence.

By the way, apple, Jolly, and others .. my own take is that there has been nastiness and downright rude behavior on both sides of the aisle since way before the election, and I don't think it has anything to do with the election results. For a while, this forum deteriorated into a name-calling contest. You have both suggested that Kathy and pique and Cindy have engaged in behavior as bad or worse as what has happened to them. To be honest, with the exception of Kathy's uncalled-for behavior last night, I haven't seen that. I think you're viewing their behavior through a distorted prism.

And here is where people aren't hearing what each other are saying. Some people just don't like a high level of interpersonal friction and conflict, while others enjoy it. The ones who hate it can't understand that it's just a game to the other group, and the ones to whom it's just a game can't understand why the other group takes it all so personally.

The bottom line is that both sides have to be a little more sensitive and tolerant. If this were a workplace, the sensitive little bunnies would have to put up with some degree of friction, and the insensitive brutes would have to tone down their act a little bit. If everyone would just do that here, we might be able to find an acceptable middle ground ... enough rough-and-tumble to keep things from getting too boring without so much that it chases away people who don't enjoy the conflict.

If you use lines like "a hyena with hiccups", you might be a redneck.
NAK Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Dwain Lee:
"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the most tempting moment."

Truer words have rarely been spoken, and equally rarely observed.

A few thoughts:

A personal attack can be just as vulgar, if not more so, for its content, and not dependent on its use of profanity. There is a difference, and if forced into chosing, I'll take profanity over vulgarity any day.

Ill-spoken words, even if forgiven, are never entirely erased or forgotten no matter how much we may want them to be. If they can't ever be completely erased, we should try to erase them as much as possible, and most importantly, ask forgiveness for them. That won't totally erase the ugliness, but sometimes its the best we can hope for in interacting with each other.

The first step is to recognize the ugliness and vulgarity for what it is - and it is all of ours - and not justify it as a result of drunkenness, letting off steam, putting someone in his/her place, standing up for someone else, or even responding to someone else's ugliness against yourself.

Great post, as usual. smile thumb

Still, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by NAK:
Originally posted by The 89th Key:
[b] [b] CAN EVERYONE JUST IGNORE THIS THREAD AND LET IT DIE.

EITHER STAY IN THE COFFEE ROOM OR LEAVE.

ALL THIS TALK IS DOING NOTHING. [/b]
Now you know how we feel. wink [/b]
I knew you were going to say that haha! smile

At least in my long thread debates, we have a topic that can go somewhere, that can be intellectually debated....this thread seems to be going nowhere, and people (such as the piques of this world) just have a simple choice:

Either leave or stay in the coffee room.

-The 89th Key [Linked Image]

[Linked Image] www.thecollegecritic.com [Linked Image]
--- Integrity | Loyalty | Simplicity ---
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Quirt:
And here is where people aren't hearing what each other are saying. Some people just don't like a high level of interpersonal friction and conflict, while others enjoy it. The ones who hate it can't understand that it's just a game to the other group, and the ones to whom it's just a game can't understand why the other group takes it all so personally.

The bottom line is that both sides have to be a little more sensitive and tolerant. If this were a workplace, the sensitive little bunnies would have to put up with some degree of friction, and the insensitive brutes would have to tone down their act a little bit. If everyone would just do that here, we might be able to find an acceptable middle ground ... enough rough-and-tumble to keep things from getting too boring without so much that it chases away people who don't enjoy the conflict.
Do this and we're all sorted I think.

How now, brown cow.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Quoting gryphon:
And believe me, I do lay out my ideas and have every confidence in them. That's the point JBryan was making earlier. He happened to use JA as an example because he, by far, was the most guilty of it. In a discussion, his positions would be refuted point-by-point, then he'd ignore the facts and go on "politely" arguing his point which had just been thoroughly debunked.
gryphon,

The problem I have with your statement is that I have seen way too many times when people have said that they have refuted someone's position, point-by-point, when in fact, they did not. They only offered a differing opinion, and then got all huffy because the other party wouldn't concede that their position had been debunked. I can't tell you how many times I have been told my position had been debunked, when in fact nothing was further from the truth.

I also submit that there is nothing wrong with being polite, whether "ignoring facts", as you call it, or acknowledging them. Most of the time, I would call it a difference in interpretation or understanding of facts. To take it further most of the time it is in essense, opinion not facts at all.

I find that everyone pretty much lays out their ideas and has confidence in their arguments, as you say. I think we could do a better job of asking each other for reputable sources of our information for some arguments. Hey, sometimes I need proof! wink

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
By the way, apple, ....
thanx

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Originally posted by piqué:

if it is kind, but not true, don't say it.
if it is true, but not kind, don't say it.

sometimes it is kindest to say things people would rather not hear, because it is for a greater good, but one can still do it with kindness.

well that gave me a little giggle in the midst of tears. smile

whoops

Originally posted by Jack Frost:
You more than any other poster on this forum PERSONALIZES the debate. Time after time JA or kathyk or cindysphinx will post an ISSUE and your response is not about the post but the poster. Their posts may be radical and vehement about the issue or even the public personnae involved but they do not refer to "Larry" and your reply invariably begins (or soon uses and emphasizes) the pronoun "you."
And your point is? What is wrong with that? A person expresses a position and then someone else replies with "your analysis is wrong because" or "what you don't see is" or "you conveniently overlook the fact that" or any number of other replies that contain the word "you" or its variant. You inadvertently swerved into the truth, jf. There are people here who take an attack on their positions as personal attacks on them.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think this thread has broken "the fastest growing thread ever" record.

Derick

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I wish folks would stop characterizing the schism as liberals vs. conservatives.
Perhaps that is because only liberals have left (and are the complainers).
We will soon be a moderated forum...Nevertheless, I'm glad the boards will soon be moderated
Have you read something that I haven't? I don't know this to actually be the case. I wouldn't be surprised if the CR remains unmoderated.

Wheels
bcarey, I understand your post. Fine, then, if you state something, and I reply with a counter argument showing you where I think you are wrong, you have the opportunity to show me where I went wrong in my analysis of the facts or your position. That's what we do, discuss ideas and positions. If you just ignore my points where I've attempted to show you where you are wrong, then you haven't buttressed your position at all. And to do so in a condescending manner (you haven't been guilty of that) is not "civil," no matter how artfully you use polite discourse to "stick it to someone."

Wheels
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
*they're* doing something wrong because they politely maintain their position despite your pearls of wisdom?
Glad you don't make condescending remarks, Cindy. No, the point is a free exchange of ideas. If my pearls of wisdom are wrong, the civil thing to do would be to point out my flawed facts or logic, not ignore the arguments that just refuted the original points.

What so hard to undestand about that, you braindead moron!

:p

(How many smiley faces do I need to include to make sure you understand I was only kidding about the moron part?)

Wheels
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
gryphon,
i can see how this would be annoying, to make a case against someone's point of view, and then just be ignored.

i know i am guilty of doing that.

when i do that, it isn't meant as an insult to the person who disagrees with me. it just means i have not been convinced by your argument, and i have neither the time or inclination to go back and forth point for point.

you are free at the point to say, why were you unconvinced by my argument?

a lot of times, i see the arguments that are put forth as so full of holes, i don't even know where to begin.

but more often, i decline to continue the debate because personal invective has crept in, and i know that i will just be wasting time and energy to try to really discuss the issue.

when people are civil and stay on topic, as opposed to veering off into personal animosity or broad brush description of my or "my" group's character, then i am happy to stay and do back and forth.

but if the first thing you say to me is that i'm a blind idealogue, then i don't want to play with you.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Renauda:
KathyK I have a question for you. Did the 'dearly departed' send you here to stir the pot so they can enjoy the spectacle?
Absolutely not. Many of the dearly departed do not give a rat's lick (is that the right homespun term?) about what goes on in this room anymore. I came of my own volition because I *do* care about this room, and although I doubt I'll ever feel comfortable resuming regular posts here again, I said what I felt needed to be said. (And, wow, I have a lot more time on my hands!)

Originally posted by piqué:
a lot of times, i see the arguments that are put forth as so full of holes
Yeah, but not mine. smile

Wheels
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission