Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#881280 - 03/31/03 09:35 PM Moderators Wanted
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (originally N...
I have received more complaints to the moderator (currently only me) in the last couple of weeks then I have in the last couple of years!

It is unfortunate that as our piano community grows, so do our problems with idiots.
Considering we have over 3300 members, it is
a small percentage. But it is still causing a problem for our legitimate members.

As much as I enjoy our online community, I don't have the time to police every thread posted in every forum.
Consequently, I need to ask for volunteers to moderate each forum. Before you jump at the opportunity, be aware of the following requirements:

Moderators must:
  • Remain objective
  • Be open-minded
  • Not be overly judgemental
  • Remember our audience is World-Wide
  • Not hold personal grudges
  • Be Fair
  • Allow different points of view
  • Only edit obvious "offensive" content
  • Not impart their own personal/religious views
  • Remember.... Freedom of Speech is a fundemental right of all Americans
  • Know that I can/will override your decision if I don't agree.
  • Understand that I can grant you moderator rights, and remove those rights if I feel you are abusing them.

These are PIANO FORUMS! Overall our members/vistors have done a fantastic job of helping people make smart decisions about piano purchases, reconditioning, repairs, etc.
THAT IS WHY WE ARE HERE !!!!!!
The "Coffee Room" and "United We Stand" are for other discusions, otherwise... keep the topic focused on pianos and playing!.
Still Interested?
Contact the owner/webmaster of Piano World & PianoSupplies.com ... Frank Baxter at: moderator@pianoworld.com
***** One Last Point *****

If we continue to have problems/complaints...
I will close Piano World & PianoSupplies.com down completely!! I don't have time for these petty differences.

- Frank B.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!

Piano & Music Accessories
#881281 - 03/31/03 09:45 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma City
Unfortunate.

#881282 - 03/31/03 10:08 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
Happy Birthday jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
bump

#881283 - 03/31/03 10:09 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
Ack. I don't want any moderators. \:\( Given how so many really talented and intelligent people around here are so capable of disagreeing so COMPLETELY with each other, I am quite certain that it won't be possible to be fair.

Jodi

#881284 - 03/31/03 10:14 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
3000 Post Club Member

Jodi, I feel the same way about it, but we NEED them desperitley. Maybe, we could just have one until things get more back to normal, and then dismiss them from thier duties?

#881285 - 03/31/03 10:22 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I've seen worse flame wars with moderators than anything else. There will always be those who are accused of being a "favorite" of the moderator. The moderator will always be accused of not being unbiased (who is). The moderator may develop a tendency to overmoderate. I think they are more trouble than they are worth and we will end up regretting it. But I don't run the show around here.

#881286 - 03/31/03 10:25 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
I don't think that the fact that people disagree causes any problems. I think most people enjoy the level of discourse that disagreement calls for. IMHO all the recent problems stem from one person posting under different names from probably multiple locations on topics in every forum, changing his name and handle almost daily now. How do you logistically moderate someone like that? Wait till his (or her) posts becomes typically irritating enough to notice a pattern,then delete them?

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#881287 - 03/31/03 10:26 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

We don't need moderators. We need to ignore the pain in the neck doofuses that are causing the problem, (there are only a few of them) and quit bothering Frank with complaints. If you quit feeding their egos, they will go somewhere else. (I hear rmmp is a lot more fun than this place. If any of you doofuses would like the URL, I'll happily provide it. ;\) \:\) \:D ) Jodi

#881288 - 03/31/03 10:27 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
apple* Offline

Can't there be a secret moderator?

#881289 - 03/31/03 10:32 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
3000 Post Club Member

I agree. Is there a way to check IP's? I think that Steinway's should be compared to all of the people who we think may be his alieses, and then have it banned.

#881290 - 03/31/03 10:38 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
TomK Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I vote for jgoo to be moderator. Smart, cool and has a good sense of what's going on.

#881291 - 03/31/03 10:40 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
JohnC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Left Coast
Jodi,

I would tend to agree with you. I do not think moderated boards will work well here. This is a very opinionated group which does a very good job of policing itself. The minute someone puts on a badge, well, I just don't think it will work well.

I think Frank was the perfect moderator. He seldom shared any of his thoughts with us. As such I don't think anyone felt intimidated not to speak their mind. Moderators who already have expressed viewpoints will not be seen as fair, even if they are. It seems to be a no win situation. I hope I'm wrong.

Frank, regardless of the outcome, thank you for everything. You have provided a great service to many of us. I hope we can get past this little bump in the road.

#881292 - 03/31/03 10:42 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TomK:
I vote for jgoo to be moderator. Smart, cool and has a good sense of what's going on.[/b]
TomK! Thankyou for those nice words. I don't know anything about being a forum moderator though. And I think that it should be someone from off the forums, so that they won't play favriotes and/or abuse the powers. Not that I would, mind. But if noone else is willing to take on the job, then I guess I could give it a shot. Our forums that we love so much are in danger of closeing. \:\( \:\( \:\(

#881293 - 03/31/03 10:44 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
 Quote:
Originally posted by JBryan:
There will always be those who are accused of being a "favorite" of the moderator. The moderator will always be accused of not being unbiased (who is). The moderator may develop a tendency to overmoderate. I think they are more trouble than they are worth and we will end up regretting it.[/b]
I agree. I have seen it elsewhere. PianoWorld forums are by-and-large self-moderated very well.

#881294 - 03/31/03 10:46 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Well, I did finally make it to the archives and checked out all the Sergi threads. I wonder if that's what caused all the complaints. Seems to be one attention craving juvenile causing an awful lot of problems. Still don't want a moderator, though. Jodi

#881295 - 03/31/03 10:48 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
apple* Offline

Jodi, Sergei is the end of the comet's tail. He was the 7th alias I noticed.

#881296 - 03/31/03 10:51 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
3000 Post Club Member

Jodi, its not just the Sergi threads. Rudeness has been mirrored throughout all of the main forums on this website for the last week or two now, all starting with Etude/Steinway/Martin/MichealD/Peter/Sergi - Imposter/Elliott(?) All of the people without (?) next to their name is one in the same, the one with (?) next to his name is questionable to be the same person as well. Did I miss any? Keep in mind that I still have reasonable belief that FYOB is NOT another Steinway.

Edit: I have removed Peter's question mark. I've read a couple of back posts that I hadn't before and now really do believe that he is indeed Steinway. And as TomK always seems to be pointing out now, he did basically admit it by slip of tounge. Peter's quote: "I am NOT Peter"

#881297 - 03/31/03 10:51 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
Penny Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Juan Capistrano, CA
I actually DO think we need a moderator. It's not the mother-of-all-punishments. Just a peace-keeping mission! Really! And I agree that someone has to be checking the IP addresses!

But, it would probably be easier to have different moderators for the most popular forums. I don't know ANYONE here that has THAT much time.

penny

#881298 - 03/31/03 10:58 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Yes, I'm aware of most of the incarnations. And I'll bet they just love the havock they've caused. Unfortunate we can't just ignore them, and get on with our more important arguments. Like Tommie's deliberate misspelling of my name. ;\) Jodi

#881299 - 04/01/03 10:15 AM Re: Moderators Wanted
Jolly Offline

Loc: Louisiana
My thoughts about The Piano Forum are contained in Frank's post on that section of the board. I think the same moderator requirements would work for someone monitoring the Player's Forum.

The Coffee Room? Now that's a whole nuther ball of wax! This place thrives on thrust, and parry. How could one remain entirely objective, yet keep the passion, the dark humor, and occasionally the insight of the current incarnation?

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#881300 - 04/01/03 12:33 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
Dwain Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
OK, first, we have to come up with a form to be filled out by anyone who wants to be consdered for a Moderator's position... \:D \:D

(There, that ought to kill the idea dead in its tracks.)

Ignore the trolls, as well as those whose favorite form of trolling is constantly whistleblowing on every post they disagree with. I have to admit, since I don't spend as much time here as I used to, I've apparently (and blessedly) missed some troll wars. But now, and in the past, I've read lots of stuff that made the top of my head want to blow off, and even at that, I've never reported a single post or member. I love you all, even those of you I hate. :p

#881301 - 04/01/03 01:07 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
Diarmuid2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dwain Lee:

...those whose favorite form of trolling is constantly whistleblowing on every post they disagree with.[/b]
That's the big problem at this stage, because it's obviously become irritating to Frank, and that is unacceptable. Much as I don't want moderators, I think a buffer is needed to keep this nonsense away from him.

#881302 - 04/01/03 01:09 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
bcarey Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Copying my post to this forum from Pianist Corner. I actually meant to put it here in the first place. \:o

I simply can not tell you how valuable this forum was to me when piano shopping. A very hearty thank you to Frank and all who helped me! I don't know what I would have done without you.

Obviously Frank sees a need for some additional help in moderating the forums. I do hope some people will come to the rescue and help him out. I only have a couple of suggestions.

First, that no dealer/salesperson be a moderator if others are available to do it. Not that they are not perfectly capable of doing so, but there would inevitably be those who would accuse that person or perceive that person of being biased, true or not.

Second, it is probably a good idea to send your recomendations for moderators in a private email to Frank. Though we might like to think this is a democratic forum, it isn't. Frank pays the bills. We enjoy. The ultimate decision of who moderates which forums is his, as it should be. It would be pointless for us to debate or vote on who should be moderators and it could prove devisive.

Last. In case there is remote possibility that someone might want me to moderate, I must say that I DO NOT want to be a moderator! I am not qualified.

#881303 - 04/01/03 01:23 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
Jolly Offline

Loc: Louisiana
bcarey told this whopper:
 Quote:
I am not qualified.
Actually, you are on my short list, and probably several other folk's as well.

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#881304 - 04/01/03 01:53 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
benedict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: European Union
Wouldn't the problem be solved by checking the IP. Apparently it seems like one person has caused all this turmoil.

Isn't it possible to check the IP of people logging in : if MichaelD, Steinway, Peter, Sergej are only one (and a very disturbed one) person, either that person has several computers and then several IPs and then, he is the Lethal Weapon 5 or it is always the same IP and it should be possible to invite him to go somewhere else.

The forum needs damage control, not moderating.

Anyway if the coffee room was moderated, it would look like an English club with silent males reading the Times for hours.

You think it would be a good idea ?

\:D

#881305 - 04/01/03 01:58 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

#881306 - 04/01/03 02:10 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
gryphon Offline

Loc: Okemos, MI
 Quote:
Originally posted by benedict:
Anyway if the coffee room was moderated, it would look like an English club with silent males reading the Times for hours. You think it would be a good idea?[/b]
Can we drink wine or smoke premium cigars? That might sway my vote.

#881307 - 04/01/03 02:55 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
ksk Offline

Loc: sweden
 Quote:
Originally posted by jgoo:

Edit: I have removed Peter's question mark. I've read a couple of back posts that I hadn't before and now really do believe that he is indeed Steinway. And as TomK always seems to be pointing out now, he did basically admit it by slip of tounge. Peter's quote: "I am NOT Peter"
[/b]
I haven't followed the steinway story very well, but if you are talking about the peter I think you are, we were exchanging some words in swedish in a thread recently. I don't know if that proves or mean anything though \:\)

#881308 - 04/01/03 05:14 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
J.O.E. Offline

Loc: Chicago
Den hr bevisar ingenting , ngon idiot kanna gr s pass.

#881309 - 04/01/03 05:18 PM Re: Moderators Wanted
Peter_dup2 Offline

I am not Steinway and I have NO CLUE as to what you're talking about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
72 registered (Akshay, ando, angelsong, adanepst, 21 invisible), 1281 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249684 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
04/17/14 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
04/17/14 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
04/17/14 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
04/16/14 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
04/16/14 11:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission