Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#881951 - 07/13/04 06:43 PM "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
John Andrew Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Is nothing sacred? Now they are going after "fair and balanced" Fox News! Can you imagine? The nerve! The audacity!

But then, when the truth outs, it tends to upset those who arrogantly think they can be what they are not and everyone just has to accept them for what they claim to be.

From the LA Times:

Fox News in cross hairs of a new documentary[/b]
A dogged hunt for evidence of GOP-tilted bias results in the latest salvo from the left.

By Elizabeth Jensen, Times Staff Writer

NEW YORK — In a season of politically confrontational movies, documentary filmmaker Robert Greenwald is aiming to do to the Fox News Channel what Michael Moore is trying to do to the Bush administration with his "Fahrenheit 9/11."

A coalition of liberal-minded groups, led by the political action organizers MoveOn.org, teamed to fund "Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism," Greenwald's new film that portrays the cable news and opinion channel as the prime example of what's wrong with media consolidation.

Working in stealth for six months, Greenwald pieced together allegations from former Fox insiders, memos from the network's editorial chief and extensive on-air clips taken from four months of taping the channel to lay out how Fox, in his view, aggressively promotes a Republican agenda.

His arsenal includes:

• A 2000 tape in which Fox News Channel's chief political correspondent Carl Cameron chats amiably with then-presidential candidate George W. Bush — just before interviewing him — about how much Cameron's wife is enjoying campaigning for the president-to-be. Such conflicts of interest aren't generally allowed at other media outlets. "My wife has been hanging out with your sister…." Cameron tells Bush. "She's a good soul. She's a really good soul," Bush responds. The unaired footage that precedes the interview, billed as a "Fox News Exclusive," appears to have been pulled off a satellite feed. (Moore used such outtakes as a central motif of "Fahrenheit," as he sought to capture images of administration figures in unflattering moments.)

• Nine recent memos from John Moody, Fox's editorial chief, tersely laying out the way in which Fox's reporters and anchors are to discuss the day's news, including pro-administration developments they are to highlight, such as the economy's job growth.

• Former West Coast anchor Jon Du Pre talking about how reporters were praised when they took shots at Democrats and encouraged to report negatively on Jesse Jackson. The anchor also said he got in trouble because his coverage of a Ronald Reagan birthday celebration wasn't sufficiently enthusiastic.

• Fox clips juxtaposed with Republican talking points to show how news anchors and opinion commentators pound home a theme throughout a day, such as a sustained attack on former White House terror chief Richard A. Clarke and a humorous portrayal of presumptive Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry as "French."

One series of clips is strung together humorously to make Fox's top-rated host Bill O'Reilly look bad. After he claims he has only told a guest to "shut up" once, O'Reilly is seen in clips using the phrase over and over. More seriously, the movie explores O'Reilly's on-air feud with the son of a man killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on New York's World Trade Center.

Fox representatives didn't return calls and e-mails seeking comment. On Friday, a Fox official would refer only to a posting on the Drudge Report website that suggested Fox would argue that its practices were no different than those of its cable news rivals and would try to embarrass the others if they ran "self-serving" stories about the documentary. "Fox News executives are lining up a parade of employees who formerly worked at CNN & MSNBC and have been downloading information on how editorial decisions are made at these networks, including the agenda for how stories are supposed to be covered," the item said. Worried that Fox would shut him down prematurely, Greenwald said he never asked the network for permission to use its clips or asked executives to respond to the allegations. Short clips of copyrighted material for news or commentary purposes are generally protected under the "Fair Use Doctrine" of copyright law.

Greenwald said Fox was the only network that turned him down out of hand when he asked for clips for his previous film, "Uncovered: The Whole Truth About the Iraq War," which opens theatrically next month. As for why he didn't ask them for comment, he said, "They have a pretty effective ability to respond 24 hours a day, seven days a week."

The coalition funding "Outfoxed" finally began taking the wraps off the 80-minute film at the end of June, when MoveOn .org invited members to hold "house parties" to show it and a website began showing trailers. MoveOn and the Center for American Progress are holding a news conference today in New York featuring some of the people quoted in the film, which will have its official unveiling in New York on Tuesday.

Greenwald says his goal is that "everybody in America turns off Fox News, that they look at it and see it for what it is and then turn it off." Almost from the minute Fox News Channel went on the air in 1996, critics have complained that the channel, the brainchild of News Corp. chairman Murdoch, distorts the news and promotes a conservative agenda. Fox, whose use of the motto "Fair and Balanced" is particularly irritating to critics, counters that it merely gives equal time to voices that it contends have a hard time getting heard on media outlets it considers liberal-biased.

Indeed, copies of the Moody memos — some provided to the Los Angeles Times by Greenwald's team and some independently obtained — appear to bend over backward to favor a Republican line, but they also show instances where Moody ordered the staff to play down, for example, criticism of Democratic candidate John Kerry and to give Kerry and Bush equal time on days when both were delivering big speeches.

Greenwald originally wanted to look at the effects of media consolidation but soon decided to focus on Fox, he said. Eventually, he contacted more than 50 current and former Fox employees. He found plenty of people who had tough things to say about their former employer, such as Clara Frenk, a Fox booker and producer in 1998-99, who talked about an anti-liberal bias, and former terrorism commentator Larry Johnson, who said he was dropped from Fox in January 2003, without explanation, after he made comments critical of the Bush administration.

Greenwald — whose credits also include "Unprecedented," a documentary about the 2000 presidential election — also found four former employees who wouldn't be quoted because they had signed nondisclosure agreements.

But Greenwald didn't find what Fox critics have always hoped for, some kind of internal memo or a whistle blower who would prove their case of bias unequivocally. "There is no 'Watergate tape,' " he said, adding that Fox News executives are "very smart people; they don't give you the smoking gun." What he found instead, he said, is "patterns. You're not going to find one memo or one person. You look at a pattern."

Greenwald concluded from his research that Fox News is not so much conservative as Republican "partisan" and problematic because it has influenced other TV news channels that are envious of Fox's ratings success.

"Outfoxed," which so far is slated for limited screenings and a DVD release, joins a spate of summer documentaries attacking the media. Among them are Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11," which contends that TV news has been too supportive of the Bush administration's foreign policies, and "The Hunting of the President," which criticizes decade-old coverage by newspapers, including the Los Angeles Times, of the Whitewater accusations that dogged President Bill Clinton's White House.

"Outfoxed" is also the extension of a broad attack on the credibility of Fox News that has been building among many organizations in the last year. MoveOn.org, which also helped finance "Uncovered," has had what it calls a Fox News "monitoring" program in place since November, in which members are urged to write in with examples of Fox bias. Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting, also a supporter of the film, has issued several reports questioning Fox reporting.

Prominent critics in the media include Los Angeles Times editor John Carroll, who does not appear in the documentary, and Walter Cronkite, who does. "It was quite clear when they founded the Fox network that they intended to be a conservative organization" Cronkite says in the film, adding "beyond conservative, a far right wing organization."

The sustained criticism is reminiscent of the campaign that Accuracy In Media and other groups launched with some success against CBS News two decades ago, which are ongoing at sites such as Rather Biased.com.

The pattern suggested by the film starts well before the 1996 Fox launch, with Murdoch's mid-1980s purchase of a group of local TV stations in cities such as New York and Washington, D.C. Frank O'Donnell, a former producer of the 10 p.m. newscast on Fox's Washington station WTTG, until he left in 1991, told Greenwald about pressure he felt to run positive pieces on Republicans such as President Ronald Reagan and criticism of Democrats such as Sen. Ted Kennedy.

In an interview, O'Donnell, now the executive director of the Clean Air Trust, called it "the first intrusions by Murdoch into meddling with the content of newscasts." Although he never worked at Fox News, he said, "I was present when the seeds were sown for the … attempt to massage the news and present it through a more conservative prism."

Similarly, Greenwald interviewed Alexander Kippen, a reporter who covered Capitol Hill for WTTG from 1990 to 1995. Kippen, now a media consultant, told The Times he had a "great experience" at the station but has come to be critical of television news, Fox included, and so agreed to help Greenwald with the film. "Fox peddles opinion, which is very cheap and easy. It amuses viewers, and that is the prime goal of TV news, period. It seems to me that all Fox has done is perfected that model," he said.

Piano & Music Accessories
#881952 - 07/13/04 07:17 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
netizen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I linked to this in another thread. I'm looking forward to seeing it...

#881953 - 07/13/04 07:35 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma City
A Michael Moore wannabe. Same style of selective cut and paste editing to make people seem as though they said things they never said.

#881954 - 07/13/04 07:43 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
netizen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mean old conservative owned liberal media...

\:D

#881955 - 07/13/04 07:57 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I see you have bought into the canard bruited about Eric Alterman that the media is biased Conservative because it is supposedly owned by Conservatives. That is like saying pay attention to the man behind the curtain. Even though he has nothing to do with what you are actually seeing.

#881956 - 07/13/04 08:01 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
netizen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JBryan:
That is like saying pay attention to the man behind the curtain. Even though he has nothing to do with what you are actually seeing. [/b]
Yes, I often get that feeling about Bush.

#881957 - 07/13/04 09:11 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
I heard these guys (the film makers) interviewed on NPR tonight. It was hard to drive straight I was laughing so hard.

#881958 - 07/13/04 09:13 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by netizen:

[/b]
Bush is behind a curtain?

#881959 - 07/13/04 09:24 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
Steve Miller Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Yorba Linda, CA
How come the right-wingers never make documentaries?

#881960 - 07/13/04 09:29 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

You do mean "documentaries" do you not?

#881961 - 07/13/04 09:37 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
Steve Miller Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Yorba Linda, CA
Just so.

"Documentaries" it is. ;\)

#881962 - 07/14/04 12:57 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
bcarey Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
 Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
How come the right-wingers never make documentaries? [/b]
Documentaties are supposed to be truthful. ;\)

They have nothing to document. It's all classified. Until they need it to prove a point. \:D

#881963 - 07/14/04 01:16 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
ny1911 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

If a documentary doesn't provide balanced points of view, why would anyone give it any credibility, regardless of who made it?

Sheeple...

#881964 - 07/14/04 01:32 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
shantinik Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
For the same reason folks listen to Hannity and O'Reilly and all those other Murdoch-brownosers on Fox Gnus, or are consumed by "The Passion".

(makes for good, wholesome entertainment.)

#881965 - 07/14/04 01:35 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
shantinik Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JBryan:
 Quote:
Originally posted by netizen:

[/b]
Bush is behind a curtain? [/b]
Bush IS a curtain. ("My Pet Goat" stands behind it.)

But there's good news from my childhood. I learned from Monty Hall. When faced with a choice between a box and a curtain, ALWAYS take the curtain. (the best you ever do with a box is a washer and dryer. )

#881966 - 07/14/04 01:47 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
Improviso Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shantinik:
...there's good news... [/b]
I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico. \:D

#881967 - 07/14/04 01:47 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
ny1911 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

But none of those examples claim to be more than entertainment.

Quote:
For the same reason folks listen to Hannity and O'Reilly and all those other Murdoch-brownosers on Fox Gnus, or are consumed by "The Passion".

(makes for good, wholesome entertainment.) [/b]

#881968 - 07/14/04 01:52 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
shantinik Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Improviso:
 Quote:
...there's good news... [/b]
I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico. \:D [/b]
SRA II 153, my friend, SRA II 153.

#881969 - 07/14/04 01:55 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
shantinik Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ny1911:
But none of those examples claim to be more than entertainment.

Quote:
or are consumed by "The Passion".
[/b]
[/b]
Yep, just another R-rated sado-masochism film, complete with whips'n'chains. Hey, there might be gnu outlets!

#881970 - 07/14/04 02:03 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
ny1911 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Spin and dodge, spin and dodge...

#881971 - 07/14/04 03:29 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
 Quote:
Originally posted by bcarey:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
How come the right-wingers never make documentaries? [/b]
Documentaties are supposed to be truthful. ;\)

They have nothing to document. It's all classified. Until they need it to prove a point. \:D [/b]
HA
\:D And not before they have had a chance to the edit the document with the black marker!

#881972 - 07/14/04 04:01 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
shantinik Offline
4000 Post Club Member

SRA II 153, my friend, SRA II 153.

My Pet Goat, over and out.

#881973 - 07/14/04 04:03 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
ny1911 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Are you just trying to get to 4000?

#881974 - 07/14/04 04:14 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
Derick Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hold on there, left-wingers make documentaries about right-wingers. A pack of lies, made by a fat man, but they call them documentaries so they must be.

The right-wingers would therefore have to make a documentary about left-wingers. And, surprise, they can make a truthful one! But that presents a bit of a problem. A documentary about Clinton would get an X-rating. Right-wingers would never stoop to the level of Whoopi Goldberg and make such a documentary.

Oh yeah, I forgot, Cheney said the F word on the Senate floor. And he used it as a verb. Maybe they can make the Clinton documentary after all. Hope they find better looking women then Clinton scrounged up.

Derick

#881975 - 07/14/04 04:41 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
shantinik Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ny1911:
Are you just trying to get to 4000? [/b]
No, I've cracked the secret code. The Prez is smarter than I thought. (Don't let Tom Ridge know. )

#881976 - 07/14/04 04:47 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
No, I've cracked. ) [/b]
(Practicing Michael Moore techniques)

#881977 - 07/14/04 05:10 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
 Quote:
No, I've cracked [/b]
must mean you're a nut. ;\)

love and peace, Γ•un (apple in Estonian)

#881978 - 07/14/04 05:45 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
bcarey Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
 Quote:
Originally posted by Derick:
Hold on there, left-wingers make documentaries about right-wingers. A pack of lies, made by a fat man, but they call them documentaries so they must be.

The right-wingers would therefore have to make a documentary about left-wingers. And, surprise, they can make a truthful one! But that presents a bit of a problem. A documentary about Clinton would get an X-rating. Right-wingers would never stoop to the level of Whoopi Goldberg and make such a documentary.

Oh yeah, I forgot, Cheney said the F word on the Senate floor. And he used it as a verb. Maybe they can make the Clinton documentary after all. Hope they find better looking women then Clinton scrounged up.

Derick [/b]
Derick,

Sorry to burst your bubble but Moore does not call his film a documentary. He says it's his opinion, nothing more and nothing less. Take it for what it offers. Draw your own conclusions.

Typical of "right wingers", if all else fails, invoke Clinton. Hey! Who cares if the majority of the country would like to see Clinton at the helm right now. At least he was smart enough to know the difference between which end was up or down, or which end to tell someone it could logically be put it in.

Agree with the looks of the women Clinton scrounged up. They are just plain ugly.

That said, I'm still waiting to hear from the moral majority on Cheney's use or mis-use of the Fxxx word.

#881979 - 07/14/04 07:13 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Sorry to burst your bubble but Moore does not call his film a documentary. He says it's his opinion, nothing more and nothing less. Take it for what it offers. Draw your own conclusions.[/b]

From Michael Moore's website:

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/message/index.php

I quote the first paragraph:

Friends,

Where do I begin? This past week has knocked me for a loop. "Fahrenheit 9/11," the #1 movie in the country, the largest grossing documentary[/b] ever. My head is spinning. Didn't we just lose our distributor 8 weeks ago? Did Karl Rove really fail to stop this? Is Bush packing?

Now what was that again?

#881980 - 07/14/04 07:15 PM Re: "OUTFOXED" The Right Elite Under Attack In Another Documentary
Derick Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I don't like Cheney at all.

That said, I don't know what the big f'ing deal is over the use of the f word (a little joke). But seriously, I don't get the big deal over it. Lehey attacks his character and then wants to be buddies. I'd tell him to f himself as well. Moreover, he admitted he said it unlike Mr. Clinton. Did you ever wonder what words Clinton used with Monica in the Oval Office?

Derick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
134 registered (36251, alfredo capurso, ando, Almaviva, 47 invisible), 1492 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153616 Topics
2251444 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
32 minutes 43 seconds ago
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
41 minutes 40 seconds ago
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Today at 07:14 PM
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
Today at 05:49 PM
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
Today at 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission