Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#892102 - 05/02/02 12:57 AM PBS's Answer to "Survivor"
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
Any of you been watching "Frontier"? (I think that's what its called) - It's a hoot! I can't decide whether to love or hate the whiney (whiny?) Californians. I feel sorry for the guy married to the nasty woman - she reminds me of the storekeeper's wife on "Little House on the Prairie". I keep wondering why it took them so long to pack something in the cracks in their log houses - all those drafts would drive me crazy. Am I the only one who got sucked into this program? Jodi

Piano & Music Accessories
#892103 - 05/02/02 02:05 AM Re: PBS's Answer to "Survivor"
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

oh, shoot, i meant to watch that program and i forgot. i'm just not in the habit of turning on the tv and we have terrible reception. i'll try to remember for next week.

i actually lived that way for a summer and fall, so i'm curious to see how they handle it.

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#892104 - 05/02/02 08:22 AM Re: PBS's Answer to "Survivor"
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
We recorded all 6 hours to watch later. Don't spoil it for me.

#892105 - 05/02/02 10:45 AM Re: PBS's Answer to "Survivor"
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I am a Frontier Valley addict. I also got totally hooked on it. I thought the Californians were the funniest, some things they just didn't get -- like the rules, I guess. ;\)

I watched a bit of it with my 4th grade daughter, who just finished a quarter studying westward expansion in Social Studies. The very first episode (and the events that occurred right when they were starting out, I won't give details for those who haven't seen it yet...) really grabbed my daughter. She had an idea that it was all fun 'n games on the prairie and seeing things up close showed a different story.

I'd like to think I would have "made it" as a homesteader, but I probably would have ended up much more like the Mrs. Olson person than the Caroline Ingalls person, I'm afraid.

I thought the ending was quite poignant, particularly their reflections (or lack of reflection) when back in the 21st century.

(Jodi, has the entire series run where you are yet?)

Nina

#892106 - 05/02/02 11:44 AM Re: PBS's Answer to "Survivor"
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Wished I had watched. Had wanted to, but have been too busy for TV. My free time lately has been spent at some joint called Piano something or other! ;\)

A series I did catch last year that I enjoyed very much was "1900 House".

The part of the Louisiana where Dad was raised (and where I live now) did not get electricity and running water until the 1950s. How things have changed!

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#892107 - 05/02/02 12:58 PM Re: PBS's Answer to "Survivor"
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Yes, the whole thing has run here. It was quite amazing. I wonder how things would have gone if the California people had gotten the ready made cabin, and the other couple had had to sleep in a tent in the cold and wet til their house was built. \:\) And the Californian's REAL house - unbelievable. What DOES that man do for a living, anyway? Would YOU want to do business with him after watching him in the 1800's? Even though the experts said that the California family wouldn't of made it, I think they might have been the ones that DID make it. That man does whatever it takes to get ahead. He knew he didn't REALLY have to gather enough firewood for winter, because they weren't actually staying the winter. He had FUN! Jodi

#892108 - 05/02/02 02:43 PM Re: PBS's Answer to "Survivor"
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Yes, their new house was/is amazing. I frankly thought that was one of the more bizarre aspects, trying to justify in some sort of way how 6 people NEED that much, particularly after their frontier experiences. Didn't seem to bother them much!

Apparently he is president of something called Klune Industries, an aerospace company, that his father started up from scratch, or close to it.

I wish Karen hadn't been such a stick in the mud... I admire her practicality and gumption, but not her fixation on running down the dippy Clunes.

I warned you I became an addict!

Nina

#892109 - 05/02/02 03:27 PM Re: PBS's Answer to "Survivor"
PianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philly, PA
I totally became hooked on that show. it was really fascinating. Did anyone notice that it seemed like George (the california dad) was basically insane by the end? he seemed like he was slowly going stir-crazy or something, between his obssesion with shooting a gun and his determination to be like a "drill seagrent" to his daughters. of course, the beard and the hair didn't help the crazy look, i am sure...

#892110 - 05/02/02 05:21 PM Re: PBS's Answer to "Survivor"
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

#892111 - 05/02/02 05:24 PM Re: PBS's Answer to "Survivor"
BeeLady Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Lots of laughs around here about the CA family. Especially when the wife sobbed because she wouldn't be allowed to wear makeup. They really are so far removed from the realities of life aren't they? And they are only a family of 5 in that huge house, as one of the kids was a niece.

It got me wondering about how he runs his business. Does he rationalize all his business decisions and does he cheat to get ahead? I'll bet many of his employees live pretty close to his frontier existance now as most probably are overseas or in Mexico. But I'd be willing to bet he doesn't "get it".

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

#892112 - 05/02/02 05:56 PM Re: PBS's Answer to "Survivor"
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
I watched it all and was disappointed in the production; I think "1900 House" was better done. That being said, "Frontier" was interesting and I looked forward to watching each episode.

I felt the family from California grew the most, they went through quite a transformation. It was sad to see them revert right back again after their experience but I guess that is to be expected. I was also quite amazed to see the strong emotional reaction from the woman from California when she wasn't allowed to wear makeup for the initial photo shoot. She certainly looked like she was going to have a breakdown. This is altogether surprising to me because without her makeup she is a beautiful woman. There were many shots of her during the 5 months that reveal her true visual beauty. Frankly, it was sad to see that she decided to cover it up again upon returning to the present. My first reaction to the California couple was pretty much the same as others here, but that changed during the 3rd and 4th episodes and I warmed up to them.

The production team really should have done something in the editing room. I mean really, with 5 months worth of footage was it necessary to portray constant bickering and fighting (not to mention judgementalism) amongst the Tennessee couple. Surely they must have had some good moments. I also think the parents should have seen to it that their children did not become emotionally attached to the animals that were destined for slaughter. The loss of a pet is a grave loss and these children were way too attached to the pig and chicken that we saw slaughtered and I think it could have been traumatic. I was raised on a farm and actually participated (i.e., wielded the axe) in slaughtering chickens (the grown ups did the large animals; anyway I couldn't have done that) but we were not emotionally attached to the chickens, we were around them mostly when doing chores. (BTW, I'm now vegetarian, but primarily because I feel the way animals are raised for slaughter in this country is unethical; although if I wasn't vegetarian but had to slaughter my own meat, I would quickly become one for sure.)

I think I could have made it too, but that depends on how many children I would have with me.

#892113 - 05/02/02 08:19 PM Re: PBS's Answer to "Survivor"
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Bernard,

When I was a little tyke, and even into my high school years, my job was to feed our cows and hogs. We never had a lot of livestock, generally just one or two beeves and a couple of barrows.

Usually, first good cold snap, one of my barnyard chums would be butchered. Sometimes several of the family would gather with their pigs or cow and we'd have a boucherie. My father wouldn't even use a gun to kill the animal, he would just knock 'em in the head with a hammer. Then we'd clean the animal and take the carcass to the local refrigerated locker to hang for a few days, until arrangements could be made to help cut the animal up into roasts, ribs, whatever.

Chickens, of course, meet their maker in an even less humane way. It's too easy to cut yourself with a hatchet, and much faster just to wring their necks.

Makes one appreciate the supermarket at an early age. Although "bought" meat never has the flavor of home grown, just like with fresh vegetables.

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fingering for "Wind (Naruto)" excerpt
by longyodel127
47 minutes 26 seconds ago
A tune I wrote last night
by Arizona Sage
55 minutes 45 seconds ago
Refusing "Every Other" week lesson
by ezpiano.org
Today at 05:09 PM
Undecided in an upgrade - Kawai MP7 vs CE220
by Giancarlo Robles
Today at 04:32 PM
Kawai Console
by landorrano
Today at 03:48 PM
Who's Online
158 registered (analarana, Al LaPorte, accordeur, ajames, 88 Fingers Jeff, acortot, 39 invisible), 1354 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76233 Members
42 Forums
157587 Topics
2314737 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission