Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#892484 - 04/09/05 10:53 PM No, no to America
yhabpo Offline

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/04/09/iraq.main/index.html

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Several thousand protesters gathered Saturday in Baghdad to urge the withdrawal of American troops from Iraq as well as to call for national unity and denounce terrorism.

The marchers condemned President Bush, British Prime Minister Tony Blair and ex-dictator Saddam Hussein, and some protesters gave the trio the pun name of "triangle of death" -- the same as the nickname for a volatile region south of the capital.

The protest and other demonstrations marked the second anniversary of the fall of Saddam's regime and the famous toppling of the former ruler's statue in Baghdad's Firdos Square.

The protesters were largely supporters of radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, whose Mehdi Army battled U.S. and Iraqi troops last year in Baghdad's Sadr City and Najaf, 100 miles (161 kilometers) south of the capital.

Some protesters chanted, "No, no to America," and carried effigies of Bush, Blair and Saddam.

On Friday night, a member of al-Sadr's group was shot dead outside Baghdad on his way to the protest in the city, a member of the National Assembly said.

Sheikh Fadhil Abdul-Zahra al-Shawki was traveling with companions from Karbala when they were ambushed.

Peaceful protests
The demonstration stayed peaceful, and security around the square was largely Iraqi, with U.S. troops keeping a low profile.

In cites of the "Sunni Triangle" west of Baghdad, protesters also demanded the withdrawal of U.S. troops. Sunni Arabs, who dominated in Saddam's government, don't have the clout they once had.

Shiites, who make up 60 percent of the Iraq's 26 million people, and Kurds hold sway in the new transitional National Assembly, elected in January.

U.S. officials have said repeatedly they will not set a timetable for the withdrawal of American troops.

"Our troops will come home when Iraqis are capable of defending themselves," President Bush said at a news conference last month.

U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said there could be a temporary increase in U.S. forces at the end of the year, when elections are slated to be held again, but the numbers won't reach the high mark of 152,000.

On March 20, Rumsfeld said that U.S. troop levels would be drawn down to 135,000 to 140,000 "over the coming weeks," similar to numbers before the January 30 election.

Several countries in the U.S.-led coalition have announced plans to withdraw their forces, including Ukraine, which began bringing service members home about a month ago.

Freelance videographer detained
A freelance video cameraman for CBS News has been arrested, U.S. military officials said Friday.

The cameraman was wounded Tuesday during a firefight between U.S. troops and insurgents in the northern city of Mosul.

U.S. military officials said that the man's camera held footage of roadside bomb attacks against U.S. troops and that they believe he was tipped off to those attacks.

A military statement said troops believe the man "poses an imperative threat to coalition forces" and that he "will be processed as any other security detainee."

CBS said the photographer was hired about three months ago, and it asked news organizations not to identify him.

The network said the man was referred by someone "who has had a trusted relationship with CBS News for two years."

"It is common practice in Iraq for Western news organizations to hire local cameramen in places considered too dangerous for Westerners to work effectively," the network said in a statement.

"The very nature of their work often puts them in the middle of very volatile situations."

One official said at least four videos in the man's camera show roadside bomb attacks on U.S. troops.

"The individual in question was carrying press credentials from CBS News," the military statement said. "Military officials detained this individual and are conducting an investigation into his previous activities as well as his alleged support of anti-Iraqi insurgency activities."

The U.S. military has said that the cameraman was shot by soldiers after it appeared he had a weapon.

The military said the shooting occurred after a suicide bombing and that the cameraman was standing next to an armed insurgent. U.S. troops have been fighting insurgents in Mosul almost daily.

Iraqi soldiers killed
Five Iraqi soldiers were shot to death Friday when gunmen stopped their car in the southern town of Latifiya, Iraqi police said.

Investigators suspected the driver, a civilian, of being involved in the ambush and took him into custody, police said.

The soldiers were not in uniform when they were stopped about 25 miles (40 kilometers) south of Baghdad, police said.

On Saturday, two Iraqi civilians were killed in the city when a car bomb apparently targeting a U.S. convoy exploded. The bomb missed the convoy but hit civilians in a central neighborhood of Mosul. Thirteen people -- three critically -- also were wounded.

Piano & Music Accessories
#892485 - 04/09/05 11:18 PM Re: No, no to America
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

At least they can[/b] openly protest.

#892486 - 04/09/05 11:47 PM Re: No, no to America
markjpcs Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
what Axtremus said.

#892487 - 04/10/05 03:31 AM Re: No, no to America
bachophile Offline
500 Post Club Member

these r the same shiites who saddam used for target practice (and other little deeds) in the south.

#892488 - 04/10/05 03:43 PM Re: No, no to America
yhabpo Offline

Stop being one-sided. American soldiers are currently torturing and raping innocent Iraqis. Noone can [claim] that the current situation is better than Saddam's era.

#892489 - 04/10/05 03:48 PM Re: No, no to America
Tom--K Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Then yhab, you and your people should be thankful.

And, you're welcome. \:\)

#892490 - 04/10/05 06:07 PM Re: No, no to America
Jeffrey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
People expressing their political opinions (stupid though they may be) without being jailed! Isn't democracy great?

#892491 - 04/10/05 11:33 PM Re: No, no to America
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
 Quote:
Originally posted by yhabpo:
Stop being one-sided. American soldiers are currently torturing and raping innocent Iraqis. Noone can [claim] that the current situation is better than Saddam's era. [/b]
150,000 soldiers is the equivalent of a large city. With that many people, there are bound to be a few isolated cases of criminal conduct. But 99.9999% of those soldiers are *not* raping and torturing anyone.

I don't think you believe half the stuff you write. If you did, you'd be the poster child for village idiots.

#892492 - 04/11/05 05:16 AM Re: No, no to America
lucian Offline

Loc: Belgium
yhabpo,
if i where in charge to "clean" the coalition image in Iraq and world wide, and avoid criticism on its acts (good or wrong),I would hire You with a huge salary.
Whatever you're right or wrong, the way You're puting things together makes You the best for the job.

Some more posts, and I think the most virulent anti-american will become one of the unconditionals of Bush-policy ........

piano tuner/technician (sort of..... ;\) )

#892493 - 04/11/05 06:10 AM Re: No, no to America
ny1911 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
No one can claim that the current situation is better? That's absurd.

Quote:
Stop being one-sided. American soldiers are currently torturing and raping innocent Iraqis. Noone can [claim] that the current situation is better than Saddam's era. [/b]

#892494 - 04/11/05 06:34 AM Re: No, no to America
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
 Quote:
Noone can [claim] that the current situation is better than Saddam's era. [/b]
Mr. Noone is 100% correct.

#892495 - 04/11/05 07:22 AM Re: No, no to America
George K Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Midwest
I work (occasionally) with a person who had a high position in Kuwait (in the medical field). He was there when Iraq invaded back in 1990. His comment:

"They raped my country - they wanted nothing more than to destroy everything we had. The Americans want nothing more than to rebuild Iraq into a free nation and a good neighbor."

That's what the mission is, and it's working.

#892496 - 04/11/05 08:32 AM Re: No, no to America
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Peaceful protests
The demonstration stayed peaceful, and security around the square was largely Iraqi....[/b]

I don't think we'd be seeing that with Saddam in power. Do you?

Five Iraqi soldiers were shot to death Friday when gunmen stopped their car in the southern town of Latifiya, Iraqi police said.

Investigators suspected the driver, a civilian, of being involved in the ambush and took him into custody, police said.

The soldiers were not in uniform when they were stopped about 25 miles (40 kilometers) south of Baghdad, police said.

On Saturday, two Iraqi civilians were killed in the city when a car bomb apparently targeting a U.S. convoy exploded. The bomb missed the convoy but hit civilians in a central neighborhood of Mosul. Thirteen people -- three critically -- also were wounded. [/b]

What about this? A daily occurrence, unlike your alleged rape and torture of innocent Iraqis. Perhaps these Iraqis weren't innocent in your eyes.

What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai KG-2e
by Jennymomofboys
39 seconds ago
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Yesterday at 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 07:21 PM
Who's Online
108 registered (anotherscott, angga888, AmateurBob, 25 invisible), 1207 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158394 Topics
2325911 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission