Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#89472 - 06/07/01 08:34 PM My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2...
Hilda Offline

Loc: Memphis
Hi, again, guys!

You were all so very helpful the other day in your advice about my decisions on buying a grand piano.....I have purchased Mr. Fine's book and my daughter and I plan to do some reading (and more piano testing) this weekend. In the meantime, I have a new question along this same line.

According to the Steinway/Boston piano rep here, the GP163 (5 foot 4) is as good a piano as the Yamaha C2 (5 foot 8) in terms of the sound board. Their reasoning is that the strings in the Boston soundboard are longer than in conventional 5 foot 4 pianos and thus similar to the strings in the 5 foot 8 Yahama. Is that true?

Also, the price they are asking for the Boston GP163 with the PianoDisc is 18,000 versus the Yahama C2 with the Disklavier which is 19,300. Are these prices reasonable? Is one deal much better than the other?

I really do appreciate your helping us rookies....thanks in advance!

Best,
Hilda (and Hanna)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#89473 - 06/07/01 09:17 PM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2...
Penny Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Juan Capistrano, CA
Yikes! I can't speak for the technical aspects (though I suspect it's sales hogwash) but for this kind of money you could get a 6'3" Estonia or a Petrof (I think), both of which I LIKE (and in the end it only matters what YOU like) better than the Boston or the small Yamaha. And if space is a consideration (I'm sorry, I can't recall), be sure to check out the 5'6" Estonia. It's lovely sounding.

penny
no affiliation with any piano dealer, just a recent piano shopper

#89474 - 06/07/01 11:11 PM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2...
Jamie Offline

Loc: Mt. Pearl, NL, Ca
For that kind of money, i agree with penny in that there's better out there. Neither the Boston or the C2 Yamaha impressed me very much. The C3, however is a sweet piano. In the class you are looking at, try a Kawai. The RX2 is in that league in terms of price and size, but I liked it's tone better than the other two. I've not tried the Estonia or the Petrov Penny suggested, but if you got a dealer nearby, they are certainly worth a look. Good luck and happy hunting.

jamie

#89475 - 06/08/01 06:37 AM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2...
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
I agree with Penny here. BTW, she is not just a shopper, Penny incorporated piano shopping into her career (writer) and spent more time shopping for a piano than most spend shopping for houses.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham piano Co.
(800) 394-1117
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#89476 - 06/08/01 09:26 AM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2...
Penny Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Juan Capistrano, CA
Rich!
Is this really your first post here?

But here's the funny part. I bought the first house I saw!

\:D

penny

#89477 - 12/04/06 05:43 PM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2...
techpiano Offline

While I respect that everyone has there own opinion on this matter I would like to add some information that may be helpful for other people who are viewing this forum. First of all, it is true that Bostons are designed to make a sound 4 inches louder than other brands of pianos made at the same size. Therefore, what the piano dealer was telling you might have held some water. Also, while I agree that it is important to have a piano that you personally like, I would not agree that it is the only thing that matters. The idea is, you want to find a piano that you like and that will have the best long term value to you. One advantage of the Boston is that it is designed so that the action will allow you to attain the control that professional classical players seek. Let's face it, classical players play Steinways. The Boston, was designed for people who can't quite afford the entirely handmade Steinways, but want to become quality players. The Yamaha is also good because the parts are made well and it was made for the North American Climate. I can not endorse the Estonia because maintenance is nearly impossible and they fall apart and do not retain value. As for the Petrof, it's a little better but, only if you are looking for nice looking furniture. The sound quality and action is not going to be what you are looking for, and also it does not retain value as well as the Steinway and Yamaha. Anyway, those prices are reasonable for the models you are referring to. Hope this helps.

#89478 - 12/04/06 05:50 PM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2...
AJB Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, England
Hello! This thread is from prehistoric times when Rich was but a lad and I was not even born yet. Get with the rythmn....

#89479 - 12/04/06 07:27 PM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2...
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: West Coast
Sales presentation you received on the Boston re. design characteristics and string length is BS. The model Boston you are comparing matches up with the Yamaha model C1. The reason the salesman is comparing the Yamaha C2 is that the Boston is inherantly overpriced due to the S&S middleman connection. Yamaha C2 is simply a bigger piano period.

Prices you got on the Boston with PianoDisc is suspiciously low. Is this a quote on a new piano? Price you show on the C2 with disklavier at $19,300 is I believe below the wholesale cost, certainly thousands below Yamaha minimum selling price. Is this for a new C2 with a disklavier Mark IV system? Something is wrong with this picture.

#89480 - 12/04/06 07:30 PM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2...
bach1 Offline

Loc: pismo beach
The price quoted for the Yamaha and Boston seems in line considering they come with the player system installed. As far a the Steinway being made entirely by hand, I don't think any piano now days in made entirely by hand, nor would you want a piano entirely by hand. CNC machines do a lot of the work in making pianos, that makes sure the parts are consistent. Estonia pianos get rave reviews on this forum and I am sure they don't fall apart any sooner that any other quality made piano. Many people seen to think that Bostons pianos are overpriced because of there conection to Steinway. Petrofs are also very nice and some even have the new magnetic action, they play and sound very nice and are more than just nice pieces of furniture! Just play as many different pianos in your price range as possible, and pick the one that sounds and feels the best for you.

#89481 - 12/04/06 08:01 PM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2...
ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Perhaps AJB's sense of humor is too subtle.

This is a 5 year old thread that has been inadvertently revived.

#89482 - 12/04/06 09:40 PM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2...
Sir Lurksalot Offline
1000 Post Club Member

techpiano,

Thank you for that hilarious satire. You sound just like one of those newbies who thinks we're a bunch of uneducated fools. LOL!

#1455667 - 06/13/10 11:36 AM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2... [Re: Hilda]
dedailya Offline

Don’t listen to anybody; don’t be distracted! Boston 163 is a great piano - just enjoy it. Yamaha C, Kawai RX, Boston – all these models are conservatory level good pianos, you buy what you like most. To my taste Boston is the best, I enjoy it and preferred it over Yamaha, Petrof, Vogel, etc. If I could spend more money I would consider Shigeru or Mason & Hamlin… Just control humidity in your room, make sure you maintain it 40% - 65%. Ilya (irabinovich@verizon.net)

#1455689 - 06/13/10 11:57 AM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2... [Re: dedailya]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
Ilya

I am sure the OP appreciates your input.

Her daughter is now married with 2 grown children and they are shopping for a piano for themselves.

#1455820 - 06/13/10 02:53 PM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2... [Re: Furtwangler]
dedailya Offline

Thank you. BTW, who is OP?

#1455838 - 06/13/10 03:36 PM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2... [Re: dedailya]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
OP = Original Poster ~ this thread is 10 years old + was last revived 4 years ago...look at the dates in the upper right corner and then let this thread go. It's old news.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1455865 - 06/13/10 04:23 PM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2... [Re: ftp]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
This is a 5 year old thread that has been inadvertently revived.

Because the pianos so far discussed didn't set a sparkle to make a purchase?

Norbert

#1455877 - 06/13/10 04:50 PM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2... [Re: Norbert]
dedailya Offline

Never mind. Seems to be the participants instead supporting each other and share real information and experience try to exercise their "sense of humor" Wrong place to be...

#1456032 - 06/13/10 09:48 PM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2... [Re: Furtwangler]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: Furtwangler
Ilya

I am sure the OP appreciates your input.

Her daughter is now married with 2 grown children and they are shopping for a piano for themselves.

The original piano is now being rebuilt as we speak...

#1456115 - 06/14/10 12:02 AM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2... [Re: Mark...]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Mark:

Your mailbox is full....

Norbert

#1456137 - 06/14/10 12:45 AM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2... [Re: dedailya]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: dedailya
Don’t listen to anybody; don’t be distracted! Boston 163 is a great piano - just enjoy it. Yamaha C, Kawai RX, Boston – all these models are conservatory level good pianos, you buy what you like most. To my taste Boston is the best, I enjoy it and preferred it over Yamaha, Petrof, Vogel, etc. If I could spend more money I would consider Shigeru or Mason & Hamlin… Just control humidity in your room, make sure you maintain it 40% - 65%. Ilya (irabinovich@verizon.net)

Why are you replying to Hilda 9 years after the post? Btw, Yamaha C2 is a much better value and has great sound. I would prefer a Kawai RX2 or RX3 over the Boston. IMO, the Boston sounds and plays too much like a Kawai to be worth the trouble.

#1456146 - 06/14/10 12:56 AM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2... [Re: 4evrBeginR]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: 4evr88
Why are you replying to Hilda 9 years after the post?

Why are you replying to her reply to Hilda 9 years late? Why am I replying to your reply of her reply to Hilda 9 years late? Oh dear frown
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1456235 - 06/14/10 04:31 AM Re: My grand question: Boston GP163 vs Yamaha C2... [Re: PianoWorksATL]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
grin

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
76 registered (ando, Art_Vandelay, barbaram, AZ_Astro, 21 invisible), 1217 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156298 Topics
2295439 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
Today at 01:10 AM
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
Yesterday at 10:44 PM
Marc-Andr Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission