Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
64 registered (ando, barbaram, anamnesis, AtlantisHero, Artur Gajewski, AndyJoe, 14 invisible), 1197 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#895586 - 10/21/04 07:33 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
With all due respect, JB, you too are full of ****.

Piano & Music Accessories
#895587 - 10/21/04 07:53 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma City
merde?

#895588 - 10/21/04 08:54 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Renauda Offline
5000 Post Club Member

There's a Georgian semi sweet red I like: Kindzmarauli. Similiar to a Shiraz.

#895589 - 10/22/04 03:59 AM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Plainfield, IL
My favorite Georgian is definitely Saperavi. It's very similar in a lot of ways to Greek wines made from Agiorgitikos. Saperavi is usually bone-dry with medium to light tannins, somewhat low acidity and has little fragrance. It pairs really well with Mediterranean cuisines.

I'm still surprised that Georgian wines haven't made more of an impact in North America.

#895590 - 10/22/04 08:43 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

So, tonight's selection was a 2003 Med Red blend from Cosentino of Lodi, California. This wine is a supposed "Mediterranean" blend of Tempranillo, Dolcetto, Charbono, Carignane and Valdiquie grapes. This is an intensely fruity wine, and upon first taste, my thought was "It's a box of raisins, isn't it?" I think the Tempranillo gives it a substantial body, but it's the Charbono (one of my absolute favorites!) that really makes this wine a joy on the palate.

We had it as an accompaniment to a simple dish of pasta with meat sauce, and it was an absolutely perfect match. The almost imperceptible sweetness of the Dolcetto component made a perfect foil to the spiciness of the Italian sausage in the meat sauce, while the Carignane was a great match for the tomatoes. This wine has an almost zinfandel-like quality to it in its lusciousness, low acidity and smoothness. I rate it quite highly!

#895591 - 10/22/04 08:48 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I am most embarrassed in posting after Matt G's incredibly connoisseur-esque reply, that I am currently drinking a 40 of malt liquor which shall remain unnamed ;-)

#895592 - 10/22/04 08:50 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Jack Frost Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Matt, you are something else....

We had a mediocre Pinot Noir from Oregon: Duck Pond. With steak, the wine was mismatched, but it was the only red in the house.

jf

#895593 - 10/22/04 08:50 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

If it's Colt 45, you're fine! ;\)

I don't take myself all that seriously, and if anyone thinks I'm starting to sound just the least bit snobbish or elitist in my wine descriptions, please slap me.

#895594 - 10/22/04 08:54 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Jack, Pinot Noir is too wimpy for steaks. Pinot Noir goes best with chicken and veal. I will forgive you this trespass, but promise me you'll have something heftier on hand next time you get the urge for grilled red meat!

#895595 - 10/22/04 08:58 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No no, lol it's a pleasure reading your expert wine critic-like descriptions for me. But yes actually it is Colt 45. LOL how did you know hehe.

#895596 - 10/22/04 09:31 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Jack Frost Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt G.:
Jack, Pinot Noir is too wimpy for steaks. Pinot Noir goes best with chicken and veal. I will forgive you this trespass, but promise me you'll have something heftier on hand next time you get the urge for grilled red meat! [/b]
Matt, I said it was mismatched. It was that or a trip out...it was all we had and unplanned. Forgive us this time our father.....

jf

#895597 - 10/22/04 09:33 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Go forth and sin no more...

#895598 - 10/22/04 09:33 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Jack Frost Offline
4000 Post Club Member

yes dad...

jf

#895599 - 10/22/04 09:40 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma City
Mad Dog 20/20 here. Thursday, October 14th the vintage. Good nose with hints of ALCOHOL and embalming fluid. The palette is somewhat dry with notes of either naptha or napalm (I am struggling a bit here after tasting more than spitting).

Tomorrow, an impetuous little number called Wild Irish Rose.

#895600 - 10/22/04 09:52 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ahahahahahaha.....now that's what I'm talking about!

#895601 - 10/22/04 09:58 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Umm, yeah, SURE, JB, you strike me as the MD20/20 kind of guy. :rolleyes: I mean, shoot, you've got internet access, you can string together more than three words without uttering "DAMN!" or "MOTHER****ER" in the middle. You're probably really snarking down some really great wine right now, but you're just being too selfish to share!

And don't be making fun of "Richard's" Wild Irish Rose. If it weren't for that and T.J. Swann, I'd never have made it through my ******** year of college! (Edited to prevent underclassmen from thinking that drinking wine [or wine-substitutes] was my way of coping!)

#895602 - 10/22/04 10:22 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Dan Offline

Loc: Colorado
Ok, so Matt here's a question for you.

I'm not much of a wine drinker, but during my visits to the in-laws in Germany I found a wine I really like. Here's the "specs" so far as I know them.

Grauer Bergunder, Trocken

I know that Grauer Bergunder translates as Grey Burgundy and that Trocken means dry. Another really good wine I found over there is a Wisen Bergunder. (I'm sure I mis-spelled Wisen, but anyway this is a White Burgundy.)

I understand from my father-in-law that these wines are made from red grapes (burgundy I presume) that are processed in such a manner that the color from the grape's skin does not make it into a red wine. I don't know anything else about how it's made.

My question is this: Once I've polished off the bottles I brought home, what do I want to get here in the states that's going to be roughly equivalent? I did some small experimentation, and found that I like the Pinot Grigio and the Pinot Gris, but I can't tell if these are equivalent or simply another type of wine I discovered that I also like.

Anyway, your comments (or anyone else's) would be appreciated.

Dan

#895603 - 10/22/04 10:48 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

First off, Grauer Burgunder (or Grauburgunder) is just the German name for Pinot Gris, and Weißen Burgunder is the German name for Pinot Blanc. Pinot Blanc is really just a variant of Pinot Gris that is slightly lighter in color. Don't let the term "White Burgundy" confuse you, either. White wines from the Burgundy region of France are produced from the Chardonnay grape.

If you're interested in replicating these wines (German wine names can be maddeningly difficult), you might want to try some Alsatian (French)-style Pinot Gris. Yes, this is really the same thing as the Italian Pinot Grigio, but the process for making wine from the grapes is different; the Alsatian style is considerably drier (trocken!).

While it is possible to make white wines from red (or darker) grapes, it is impractical under most circumstances. Dark-colored grapes with thick skins submit best to this kind of processing, which explains the existence of "white zinfandel" and "white merlot". None of these wines, however, is truly white like the wines made from white grapes; there is always still a stain from the grape skins in the wine -- the grapes have to be crushed to release the juice, and the flowing juice picks up some of the pigmentation from the darker skins. (All grape juice, regardless of variety, is in and of itself white.)

I hope that makes sense to you!

#895604 - 10/22/04 10:56 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Dan Offline

Loc: Colorado
Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the info Matt. I'll try some of the Alsatian-style Pinot Gris for my next stateside purchase.

Dan

#895605 - 10/22/04 11:00 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Oh, one other thing, Dan. If you like these dry whites, you might also want to try the Austrian wines made from the Gr­üner Veltliner grape. It's similar in many ways to the Pinot Gris, but has an interesting herbal taste to it.

#895606 - 10/22/04 11:09 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
never mind

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#895607 - 10/23/04 07:21 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

So, tonight, to accompany a roast pork loin in a sort of Eastern European tradition, I decided to pop open an Eastern European wine! (Ooh, how shocking!)

Anyways, I had recently picked up a bottle of wine from Szőlőskert, in Nagyréde, Hungary. This bottle is a 2002 vintage made from Kéfrankos (aka Blaufrankisch in Austria) and Cabernet Sauvignon. This is a "semi-sweet" wine, not as sweet as a dessert wine (like Muscat), but not a dry wine by any stretch.

Surprisingly, this made a nice foil for the savory flavors of the pork roast, where the sweetness of the wine helped cleanse the palate between bites of the roast pork. I have never really considered semi-sweet wines as enjoyable stand-alone wines, but I may need to rethink some of my preconceptions when pairing a semi-sweet with food.

#895608 - 10/23/04 07:26 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Also tonight, to accompany the appetizer (herbed goat cheese and garlic crostini), I selected a 2002 Charles Back Goat-Roti from the Cape province of South Africa. Goat-Roti (a play on the famous French appellation Côte-Roti) is a proprietary blend of Shiraz, Viognier, and Mourvèdre grapes. This is actually one of my favorite dry reds from South Africa, and it was an absolutely perfect match for the goat cheese and savory toasts.

Because of its high percentage of Shiraz, this wine is also really, REALLY good with grilled steaks. The style of wine that Charles Back produces is somewhat of a cross between the Australian Shirazes and the California Syrahs. The Viognier (which is usually used to produce a white wine) and the Mourvèdre (which makes a uniquely spectacular dry red on its own) add to the total product's equation in such a way that no Australian or California winemakers even come close to approaching.

#895609 - 10/23/04 10:13 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
David Burton Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Coxsackie, New York
Starting to drink more wine lately (well I drank both wine and beer on my latest trip to Europe). Found ALAMOS 2002 Malbec from Argentina to be quite nice. So nice in fact that I’ll probably try all their releases by and by. So nice to find an as close as one pleases to Bordeaux without the Bordeaux prices.

Now as for beer, the best I've maybe ever had was in Zurich but you can't get Swiss beer here, forget it.

#895610 - 10/24/04 07:49 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Tonight's Pick: a 2001 Kaesler Stonehorse from Australia's Barossa valley. An interesting blend of Grenache, Shiraz and Mourvèdre, this dry red wine has a nice balance of tannins and acidity, and aims straight at the classic French Rhône style. The spiciness of the Grenache is offset by the fruitiness of the Shiraz, while the Mourvèdre gives the whole a warm, mellow background. The aroma is decidedly spicy, with pepper and clove predominating. A hearty red wine to serve with both roasted meats and classic Provençal and Lyonnais cuisines. Brilliant execution at a moderate ($12) price. Look for it!

P.S. - David, I think the Argentine Malbecs are some of the best eminently drinkable red wine values out there. I normally keep a stock of Bodega Norton Malbec (usually sells for about $7 a bottle) on hand, both as an everyday wine and as a phonemenal wine to serve at parties.

#895611 - 10/24/04 08:06 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Jack Frost Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Tonight year 2000 Montecillo Rioja, at half the cost of comparable labels, with a spicy beer poached chicken. Great value. I will buy this again and againn at $7 a bottle.

jf

#895612 - 10/24/04 08:12 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Jack, I have three bottles of Montecillo's 1995 Gran Reserva Rioja in the "cellar" waiting for a special occasion. One of the finest Riojas on the planet, AFAIC. Montecillo is a class outfit in Rioja production.

#895613 - 10/24/04 09:45 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Yes, the Montecillo's a great deal. The Gran Riserva is probably somewhat to a lot more expensive than the regular bottlings, eh?

www.josephkubera.com

#895614 - 10/25/04 09:11 AM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
johnmoonlight Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lancaster, pa
Tonight, Penfolds Rawson's Retreat Shiraz Cabernet.
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.

#895615 - 10/25/04 07:57 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
The Gran Riserva is probably somewhat to a lot more expensive than the regular bottlings, eh? [/b]
Oddly, maybe not as much as one might expect. The 1995 Gran Reserva goes for about $19.50, which puts it in my middle bracket. (My upper bracket starts about $30. I really need to like it to spend over $30 on it!) I'm saving a few bottles not because it's really expensive, it's just that it will be impossible to replace once it's been drunk.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Black Friday is here - Seen any deals?
by MeghanM
Today at 01:16 AM
MIDI in on a Kawai VPC-1...
by pocoapoco
Today at 12:35 AM
Just joined
by wise_manzard
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
LACHNIT MK22
by Vas
Yesterday at 09:27 PM
You Usually Get what you Pay for in this World.......
by Paul678
Yesterday at 08:22 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159411 Topics
2341715 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission