2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I wonder if Dancing Bull is the same as Rancho Zabaco. Zabaco is a brand name belonging to wine giant E&J Gallo, but I haven't seen the Zabaco label in a while so I wonder if this is a reincarnation by E&J. The store owner would know. Could help explain why they taste the same. Of course, I could be way off base.

I'm a big Zin fan myself.
Yes! Rancho Zabaco is the slightly more expensive one. As JF mentioned, it's hard to tell the difference by the labels. Just go with the Dancing Bull variety and save the 2 bucks.

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Bernard:
RealPlayer,

I'm a big Zin fan myself.
Where does that leave "del"? smile
thumb

That he's in.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Just thought I'd resurrect this one for an update. Tonight's selection is a 2001 Quinta do Crasto from the Douro region of Portugal. This is a dry red wine, nicely blended from native Portuguese varieties (Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca, Touriga Franca and Touriga Nacional [a/k/a Tempranillo in Spain]). This wine is elegantly dry and crisp, with a deep reddish-purple color. The acidity is slightly elevated, which makes a strong complement to the red fruit flavors. The tannins are firm, but the wine is not heavy on the palate. I would imagine it goes well with any number of red meat, chicken or pasta dishes, and would make a delightful accompaniment for fresh fruit and cheese as a snack or dessert.

This one set me back $10.79 for a 750.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Matt, I've been meaning to dry a non-port wine from Douro(although, I do love port). Maybe I'll give it a try.
Over the weekend, I opened a bottle of "Mad Fish" Western Australian Shiraz. Excellent. Spicy, smooth, and full of fruit flavor. Only 10 or 11 bucks.

That he's in.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm with Bernard on this one...

Chilean Red - CASILLERO DEL DIABLO

Our favourite of the moment. Lovely body & flavour, and a good price.

Another favourite is a local winery that's really making a name for itself. If you like fruity wines with full body taste, Rodrigues wines might be for you. For something different the cloudberry (locally known as "bakeapple") is exsquisite.

Jamie

"A cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" Oscar Wilde.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I'm having my study group over tonight and I picked up a bottle of Michel Schlumberger Cab, 2000 and a McGuigan Merlot, 2001. There aren't any wine snobs in my study group, so hopefully these will go over well.
Matt G: Matt, have you ever tried any Spanish wines? A friend of mine recommended Ribera Del Deuro, Val Satillo, and the Flor de Pinqus. What do you think of these?
Jon

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Jon, I love Spanish wines. I could rhapsodize about the delights of Rioja, but I'll spare everyone! The Ribera del Duero wines are very similar in makeup and character to the Portuguese Douro (hint: Duero and Douro are the names for the same river in different languages) reds. I know that Flor de Pingus is a Duero, although I've never had it. I have no familiarity with Val Satillo. Ribera del Dueros are usually a little "juicier" than the Riojas, but since both are primarily made from tempranillo grapes, I think the main difference is in the way they are aged.

There are also some other fun Spanish wines to try. I have had some outstanding somewhat-Australian-style reds from Catalonia that you wouldn't believe for their fruit-forwardness. I've also had some Basque-style Garnachas that would curl your teeth, but they are so full of spicy character you just can't resist!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
And before I become remiss in my duties, tonight's selection is a 2000 Château Carsin Côtes-de-Bordeaux from France. A Côtes-de-Bordeaux indicates a wine that was made from grapes sourced from multiple areas of Bordeaux. Hence they can't call it, say, Saint-Estephe, but that also means that Côtes-de-Bordeaux are considerably cheaper than more wines with more restrictive appellations.

The Château Carsin gives a nice hint of the quality of the 2000 Bordeaux harvest (one of the best vintages in recent years), with a pleasant fruitiness not often associated with Bordeaux. It has slightly rough-edged tannins, but that should actually help in accompanying roasted and grilled meats. It is a deep, opaque garnet color, and has a surprisingly floral smell. This bottle sells for about $14.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I find the 2000 Bordeauxs to have a full body with a slight hint of cherries. However, I drink them straight from the bottle so I can't tell you anything about "nose" or "legs" or that other stuff. Life is so uncomplicated for people like me. laugh

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Matt, I'm curious where you buy your wines? Do you have a good wine shop nearby, do you buy online?
Jon

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'm somewhat fortunate in that there is a shop with an extensive selection not far from my home. They also have a "wine club" that gets me a minimum of 10% off every bottle I buy, plus every 13th bottle is $0.01! The best part, though, is that they have two wine tasting extravaganzas per year (spring and fall). The fall tasting is on 30 Oct., and there will be about 700 wines available for tasting! eek thumb cool

Bernard Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Going to try all 700, Matt G.!? wink

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'll give it my best shot, Bernard! Last April I think I lost count after about 30! (I stopped swallowing the samples shortly thereafter!) eek

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
We did a wine tasting a few years ago and I was shocked at how many different wines we tried ~30 without really getting too wasted. This was due to tasting, not drinking the wines, and spitting out the wines I didn't particularly like.
Jon

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well, this time I'm resolved to do more spitting and less (wait, this is starting to sound rather crudely suggestive....), umm, Oh!, DRINKING. (Whew!) It's no fun when you get all schnockered when trying to find some good wines to add to the collection. I made that mistake BIG TIME at the first mega-tasting I attended. After a few hours, you could have served me Everclear mixed with grape Kool-Aid and I'd have remarked how wonderful it was and that we should maybe order a case! There were some later-discovered disastrous decisions made that day. whome

I have since learned not to go overboard on actually downing all the samples. I also find that I really do like to swish the wine around in my mouth for about 10 seconds, because then you get the full effect of the taste, which if you swallow the wine immediately, you'll only get a sort of ephemeral taste of what's really there. (Of course, that only applies when tasting, because if you have a full glass and actually drink it you get a sort of cumulative effect.)

OK, enough about wine tastings. Tonight I opened a wine new to me, a 2002 Las Rocas de San Alejandro Garnacha from the Calatayud D.O. in Spain. I had heard some glowing reports of this particular winery's "Viñas Viejas" (old vines) bottling of the same variety, but alas, I think this was the winery's stepchild offering. While it exhibits much of the garnacha/grenache grape's characteristic spiciness, the wine appears to have been vat aged, which suggests a metallic aftertaste (I'm guessing stainless steel vats, maybe?), so the oak aging that tempers most garnacha's roughness was sadly missing. It's still not as rough as some garnachas I've had, but I think that this one will have to be relegated to the "not again" category. frown

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Just stir in a little tequila and that should take care of that garnachee thingy. smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm drinking one flavored with juniper - that tastes good with an olive.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Kathy, as my friends and I used to chant mantra-like in college:

"Gin is your friend." laugh

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Matt, I like Spanish Rioja as well, but I can't pretend to discriminate between labels as you.

Tonight with dinner we had a very generic Portugal wine "vino verde" Aveleda Vihinoverde whhite wine that is gulpable (and perhaps more suitable to summer---but a family favorite) and a little bubbly.

jf, who has a taste of juniper under his tongue as well....

"Make the pie higher." GWB
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Last night I had a "vino merde", no wait, that was a French wine. Never mind. smile

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission