Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#895466 - 07/31/04 11:17 PM What wine are you drinking now?
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
We need a wine thread like the music and dinner threads!!!

I don't know a lot about wine and would love to hear from everyone what they've recently enjoyed. I also recently subscribed to Food and Wine magazine hoping that'll give me some leads.

I've recently bought these three wines which I enjoyed quite a bit. Can't give details now since it's been a few weeks. In the future I'll try to say more specifically what I liked about a wine if possible.

At any rate, please feel free to say that you enjoyed such-and-such without the pressure of having to give a detailed analysis. I'm just looking for names to look up the next time I'm in the liquor store (No, NY does not sell wine in the grocers!).

I believe the first 2 are California and/or Washingston state, can't remember:

Smoking Loon, Pinot Noir, 2002. Good.

Bogle, Merlot, 2001. Really good.

Casillero del Diablo, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2002. (from Chile). Really good. This wine has got "fire" in it. Very spirited wine. It warms the soul. Love it. Just the thing for a cool autumn evening. It's mid August now, but the air conditioner is on!!! \:\)

Piano & Music Accessories
#895467 - 07/31/04 11:24 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Charles Shaw. (2-Buck Chuck)
$1.99 a bottle at Trader Joes.
Mostly Merlot

Also Shiraz and Gamay Beaujolais (a Pinot Noir)

Someone said the Shiraz won some award.
Sorry if my spelling sucks, it's late.
Nitie Nite!

#895468 - 07/31/04 11:51 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
kssmusic Offline

Loc: Vancouver Island
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
It's mid August now, but the air conditioner is on!!! \:\) [/b]
Bernard, that wine must've been a little too good. I double checked, and it's still only August 1st for you (July 31 way back west here). I'm definitely buying some of what you're drinking! ;\)

I buy wine from the Okanagan Valley here in British Columbia. I can't speak for all the vintners on the link below, but I have never been disappointed with those I have tried. These include the Gehringer Bros, Hester Creek, Sumac Ridge, and Jackson-Triggs.

Okanagan wineries

Who knows if you'll ever come across a BC wine in NY, but if you do, it might be worth a taste.

Cheers!

#895469 - 08/01/04 12:00 AM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

HaHa \:D . I told you it was good!

Now I'm trying to figure out what I'm so looking forward to in mid-August!? Well, it feels like mid-August anyway. The dew-point this evening is around 77! (That's more like Louisiana, Alabama, etc.)

#895470 - 08/01/04 07:43 AM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Plainfield, IL
Last night, the offerings with dinner were:

2001 Sterling Vineyards North Coast Sauvignon Blanc (California)

and

2000 Barton & Guestier Tradition Pouilly-FuissÚ (Burgundy, France)

I'm not a great aficionado of white wines, but these went really well with our meal, the sauvignon blanc teamed up nicely with the appetizers and salad, and the Pouilly-FuissÚ matched the main course (a pasta with cream sauce) quite nicely. I was pleased that the Pouilly-FuissÚ wasn't anywhere near as tart as most of the other white wines I've had, a characteristic that I find a bit objectionable with food. I was also glad that, despite it being made from chardonnay grapes, it wasn't subject to second fermentation like most California chardonnays. I truly dislike those buttery-tasting chardonnays.

The sauvignon blanc bottle cost $12, the Pouilly-FuissÚ was $19. Both were fairly good values, in my opinion.

#895471 - 08/01/04 08:24 AM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
plays88skeys Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by kssmusic:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
It's mid August now, but the air conditioner is on!!! \:\) [/b]
Bernard, that wine must've been a little too good. I double checked, and it's still only August 1st for you (July 31 way back west here). I'm definitely buying some of what you're drinking! ;\)

I buy wine from the Okanagan Valley here in British Columbia. I can't speak for all the vintners on the link below, but I have never been disappointed with those I have tried. These include the Gehringer Bros, Hester Creek, Sumac Ridge, and Jackson-Triggs.

Okanagan wineries

Who knows if you'll ever come across a BC wine in NY, but if you do, it might be worth a taste.

Cheers! [/b]
I've tried Okanagan wines - Gewurztraminer from Hawthorne (which they claim is their specialty), which was very nice and a chardonnay from Red Rooster. I've never seen them stateside, which is too bad, because they are good wines. However, I don't think I'd be interested in trying the highly touted ice wines from the region.

#895472 - 08/01/04 09:23 AM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
johnmoonlight Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lancaster, pa
Bernard, great thread!
If you have cable, watch the show called, "Simply Wine" with Andrea Immer. You'll learn alot.
I've recently been really enjoying white wines. One of the best is from the vineyard that you mention above; Bogle. I like their Chardonnay.
I love the Roert Mondavi Fume' Blancs.
Grgich(A California vineyard) puts out a great Fume' Blanc as well.
I also love the Reislings from New Zealand and some of the Australian wines as well.
Washington State puts out some great wines as well. I want to try Eroica Reisling from Washington.
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.

#895473 - 08/01/04 09:31 AM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
I did have the pleasure of drinking the world's finest 'aged to perfection' Bordeauxes.

yummmm... nothing I could ever afford would compare to the depth and complexities I savored weekly for a year or two.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#895474 - 08/01/04 06:59 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Right now, it's:

2002 D.H. Lescombes Syrah (New Mexico)

Nice, luscious red and black fruit flavors reminiscent of Australian-style Shiraz (Shiraz and Syrah are the same variety of grape), but with a much lighter body and less astringence. A perfect match for grilled chicken or pork.

Not available via retail outside NM, but can be ordered online or via phone. $13.00

#895475 - 08/01/04 08:05 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
Hi, Bernard.

As a po' musician, I don't like spending a lot on wine but do have a taste for decent stuff. So these are on the low end of the price scale.

Right now: 2000 Chateau La Decelle Cotes-du-Rhone. Med. to full-bodied, fruity, nice enough that we bought a case. Best part: only six bucks at Warehouse Wine & Liquor in Manhattan (no case discount, but a good price still.)

More commonly, we have drier, denser Portuguese reds, some of which can be picked up at bargain prices ($4 to $8) in Elizabeth, NJ. Of course, they can go higher too, especially since they've been "discovered."

Can't beat Marques de Caceres white Rioja as casual summer & dinner wine: crisp, tart and only about $5.

Would like to know other good values that are still "under the radar."

P.S. Oddly enough, I scarcely think twice about dropping $20 to $30 on a 1/4 pound of top-quality single-estate tea. Weird, huh? Well, tea does go further...

www.josephkubera.com

#895476 - 08/01/04 08:19 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma City
I get my tea from a sister-in-law in Hangzhou.

#895477 - 08/01/04 08:31 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
I don't drink much (you know us Injuns and firewater.....) but I was given a bottle of wine made in French Lick Indiana. I don't know the name of it, all I know is that it came in a blue bottle, was white, and made with concorde grapes. It had to be the best tasting white wine I've ever had. I wish I knew what it was, because I'd like to have a few more bottles of it.

#895478 - 08/01/04 08:50 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
Did it look like the bottle in this picture (the second one down)? French Lick Winery Home You could call them up and ask them what it was.

And check out this link: French Lick Winery Move guess what building they are moving their winery to!

\:D Jodi

#895479 - 08/01/04 08:59 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
apple* Offline

Larry - was that a dream,,, or did I read that french lick was mentioned in another room?

#895480 - 08/01/04 09:24 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
That's it, Jodi! The pretty blue bottle, second from the left. Thank you! I'm going to order a case of the stuff tomorrow!

#895481 - 08/02/04 07:08 AM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JBryan:
I get my tea from a sister-in-law in Hangzhou. [/b]
Dude -- hook me up!! \:D

www.josephkubera.com

#895482 - 08/02/04 07:43 AM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
johnmoonlight Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Bernard, some others that I've tried recently;
Gary Farrell "Redwood Ranch" 2002(Sonoma County)
$22 Sauvignon Blanc.
Whitehall Lane 2002 (Napa Valley) $15 Sauvignon Blanc
Cypress Merlot J. Lohr 2000 $9(California)
A good hamburger wine. Blackberry, with hints of chocolate.

R.H. Phillips Chardonnay 2002 (Dunnigan Hills) $8

Penfold's from Australia puts out some great wines as well. They have a certain stock that comes from the original vine that is considered a good starter wine. They can get VERY expensive.

Today, I'm going to buy a good Reisling. Any recommendations?
That he's in.

#895483 - 08/02/04 08:39 AM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Let me second (third?) Matt G.'s and johnmoonlight's endorsements of riesling and sauvignon blanc (AKA fume blanc). Both are often great values and unfairly neglected in the shadow Chardonnay. They can be excellent.

John wrote: Today, I'm going to buy a good Reisling. Any recommendations?

I just read in the paper that Heron Hill winery in western NY state won some major award for a riesling. Not cheap at $25 though. From their website:

07/16/2004 Heron Hill Riesling Wins Best White Wine
San Francisco, June 13th – Heron Hill Winery's 2002 Finger Lakes Ingle Vineyards Johannisberg Riesling was voted Best of Show White Wine at the San Francisco International Wine Competition, which included over 3,800 wines from around the world. Held on June 12th & 13th, the San Francisco competition is one of the largest and most prestigious wine competitions in the world.

www.josephkubera.com

#895484 - 08/02/04 02:54 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
johnmoonlight Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks RealPlayer. I'll look for Heron Hill Johannisberg Riesling. Have you ever been to the San Francisco wine show?
Speaking of wine shows/festivals; what is the best one you've ever been to?
I went to one while in Las Vegas for a medical conference that blew most others away. Entrance fee was 50 dollars but they had over 500 different wines to sample. They also had food and it was all-you-can-eat, all-you-can-drink. I certainly got my 50 dollars worth!
That he's in.

#895485 - 08/06/04 10:39 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Alas, johnmoonlight, I do not have cable. Decision based on the fact that I don't watch TV too much and can't justify the expense. But when I was in NH last month I caught some fantastic programs on cable. There's one station where they do all these house and apartment makeovers... I could easily get addicted to that!

At the moment I'm drink Dancing Bull Zinfandel. It was a special at the store, $9.99. I'm pretty ignorant about Zinfandel, Merlot being my usual red. Zinfandel is certainly less robust but there's a smooth quality to this wine which I think would add elegance to a nice meal. The bouquet is easy on the nose.

The label says "...bright, zesty and bursting with flavors of black cherry and raspberry." I wouldn't put it that way, but there is definitely a strong cherry and raspberry component. I think I would choose the word "zing" as opposed to "zesty" because to me zesty implies citrus and I don't perceive any zesty citrus in this wine.

\:\) The label also says: "Playfully Zinful". \:\)

#895486 - 08/07/04 06:15 AM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

It took me some time to appreciate zinfandel. I'm not entirely sure what it was, but I suspect it was the overripe fruit component of the smell (no, I'm not going to call it "nose"!) that turned me off, preferring the less obnoxious-smelling cabernets, merlots and shirazes. But a tasting that I went to a couple of years ago shattered my opinions about zinfandel, and I now find that the more I drink it the more I like it. It has a very complex taste, one that takes a good deal of paying attention to in order to get the full effect. Nonetheless, it's almost always a smooth, easy-drinking wine that goes well with food.

Zinfandel itself as a grape variety is kind of shrouded in mystery. Its origins are murky, with a number of competing theories as to what its parentage is. It is also one of the youngest of the major red wine grape varieties, and appears to have originated in California where it has been recognized as a variety since about the end of the 19th century. One theory that zinfandel was derived from a nearly identical grape grown in Puglia in Italy was turned on its ear when it was discovered that the Italians had actually brought in zinfandel grapes from California! The wine made from these Italian zinfandel grapes is sold as "Primitivo".

#895487 - 08/07/04 03:55 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
johnmoonlight Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Bernard, I'm actually becoming obsessed with wines. I had THE BEST glass of wine that I've ever had a few days ago. It was a Riesling from Chateau Ste Michelle. I wasn't able to find the one that RP recommends above. But this wine was absolutely fabulous. Tart, semi-dry, citrus notes, and very refreshing as a summertime wine.
Was only about $10.
I'm contemplating attending the 3-day intensive wine course at the French Culinary Institute in New York. It is in October and costs about $850. Andrea Immer is the host. If I do go Bernard, we should get together at some point.
Matt, good points. I thought I just heard somewhere that they confirmed that the Zinfandel grape is actually genetically identical to the Puglia? Of course that would contradict what you just said above.
That he's in.

#895488 - 08/07/04 04:18 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
LadyElton Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania
Right now - I'm on my 2nd bottle of Arbor Mist merlot. (I know - I'm a cheap wino \:D ) For what it's worth, thst's what I'm drinking. heh/

Check out my blog

"Looking like a true survivor..."
-- Sir EJ/BT '83

#895489 - 08/07/04 05:02 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Alex Hernandez Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm going to enjoy a bottle of lori˝on tonight.
The greatest $12.00 wine on the planet.

Bl├╝thner USA, LLC

#895490 - 08/07/04 08:27 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

'98 Chateau La Tour de Mons Margaux. Seems to be pretty good stuff straight from the bottle.

#895491 - 08/07/04 08:29 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
apple* Offline

you are kidding...

I was going to share my cheap oaky Australian brand but now I won't since everyone will feel sorry for me.

#895492 - 08/07/04 08:32 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Indian Creek Village is an Okey brand. The have Sooner Red and Cowboy Blush.

#895493 - 08/07/04 08:34 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
apple* Offline

The Indian Creeks I've had the oppurtunity to try have been artichokey as well as oaky.

#895494 - 08/07/04 08:35 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Tonight's selection was a 2002 Penfold's Koonunga Hill Shiraz/Cabernet (Australia). I have found this $12 or so bottle to be a good wine to accompany a wide variety of foods. I've sampled a good number of vintages of this wine, and have found them remarkably consistent from year to year. A nice fruitiness from the shiraz is combined with the complexity and finesse of cabernet sauvignon, yielding a wine that is greater than the sum of its parts. One of my all-time best value great wines.

#895495 - 08/07/04 08:36 PM Re: What wine are you drinking now?
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

The Indian Creeks I've had the oppurtunity to try have been artichokey as well as oaky.[/b]

I have not tried them as they strike me as, possibly, not being okey dokey.

(Although they are undoubtedly okey)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Another Kawai ES7 warning
by bjorn of brekkukot
Today at 08:41 PM
Olga Vinokur, Piano Concert Nov. 9, Lowell, MA
by Piano World
Today at 08:21 PM
Yamaha P155 synth/midi question
by sdrep
Today at 07:36 PM
Pianist, Dutch magazine - nr 2 release 31 oct
by Johan B
Today at 06:30 PM
Dutch magazine: Pianist - second magazine appeared 31 oct.
by Johan B
Today at 06:25 PM
Who's Online
106 registered (AnneJ, Baroque Style, BB Player, 34 invisible), 1457 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76721 Members
42 Forums
158657 Topics
2330005 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission