2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
many, but I only know Howdy Doody and Hi-Fi's because I used to live with my great-grandparents and the JukeBox thing because there is a 60's-70's styled restaruant right across the street from my highschool. Oh yeah, also records (because I used to live with my great-grandparents) and we got a party line here at the house last year that wouldn't go away for about a day. (Thats the crossed phone lines, right? I'm pretty sure). And, of course, how can we forget what we've seen on Happy Days? Or Sling Shots from Denis the Menice? I'm olny 16 years old (17 in April), yet I know all of these things! AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: jgoo ]

For off-topic discussion, please feel free to visit www.coffee-room.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Newbie:
Here a few things that [b]I can remember-
that now seem as dated as the slide rule-

- Black and white T.V.'s with NO remote control!
- Jiffy Pop Popcorn- "As much fun to make as it is to eat!"
- Dinner hour- with every one sitting down together at the table.
- 8 tracks and beta VCRs
[/b]

Oh No! I know these too! We used to own a black and white TV with no remote. Only 9" in size. We buy Jiffy Pop Popcorn camping. (We call it jippy pop, since the cernals only burned when we first tried it). Dinner hour at my great-grandparents house, and my dad still owns 8-tracks and an 8-track player (that no longer works). I feel SO old now, but I'm not even 20 yet!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
And another note: I enjoy watching television shows from several years ago. I have Nick-at-Nite on every night! I Love Lucy, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeanie, All in the Family, The Jeffersons, The Andy Grifith Show, Happy Days, Cheers, and the list just keeps going on! I also like modern day TV too, though. Among my favriotes are: Frasier, Signfeild, The Simpsons, The Breni Mac Show, Titus, Malcolm in the Middle, and this list also continues. I even enjoy watching cartoon shows! Bugs Bunny, but among the recent, Spongebob Squarepants! Oh my god, I watch WAY too much TV. But don't worry, I also play A LOT of piano.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I must be the oldest of all..cause I remember
most of the stuff.

I even remember the American G.I's going to the Bavarian Coffee Rooms [houses]in my small beautiful home town of 'Erlangen' and ordering a whole caraffe of coffee and slices of the finest pastry you've ever seen.

With a whole bucket of whipping cream on top!

Now...THOSE were 'Coffee Rooms'all right..
...sigh...sigh..[am diabetic!]

[ March 05, 2002: Message edited by: Norbert ]

DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
jgoo: You feel old? You're talking about things at your GREAT-grandparents house that were part of my every day life. My childhood was more like Opie's than Bart's and Saturday mornings were filled with Sky King, Rin Tin Tin, Fury, and Flicka AND Walt Disney was still in black & white. The health craze hadn't hit and morning cereal had names like Sugar Pops or Sugar Smacks. We still buy Jiffy Pop occasionally 'cos the kids love to watch it balloon up.

Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as heck...
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
oh, DT, you are killing me with the recollection Saturday tv fare. [yeah, we had a little b&w tv, too]. i remember lassie, and mighty mouse, popeye, and tom terrific cartoons. and captain kangaroo. we watched a double feature of dennis the menace and walt disney every saturday (or was it sunday?) night without fail. and these were NOT reruns.

and your opie childhood comment reminds me of how safe it was when we were kids. we roamed the countryside far and wide in the summer, from dawn to dark, and nobody knew where we were or what we were doing, and nobody worried, as long as we were home by supper.

was your childhood like that, jgoo? wink

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And Elvis might have been one of those GIs that Norbert remembers. Heck, even the Everly Brothers wore their Marine uniforms once when they sang on Ed Sullivan. I can't recall the songs they sang but I'm pretty sure that Wake Up, Little Susie wasn't one of them.

Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as heck...
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Who remember pedal cars? You know the metal kind you could sit in and move sort of like a bicycle? That was one of my favorites. Another was my remote control Dick Tracy car.

And who could forget those little toy pianos whose actions were worse than their tone. Or the organs you'd plug in that would work with air (I believe)?

Anyone care to guess how old I am?

Pique, I used to roam the woods behind my parent's house from after breakfast until dinner (took my lunch with me). As you said, no one worried that they hadn't seen me, or my sisters, all day long. It's such a shame that that aspect, of the good 'old' days, is long gone... That case of the little girl in California is heart-breaking.

Derick

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ah. Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be.

Elvis??

No bull****!

Met the man as a youngster near my home town
of "Erlangen", Bavaria. Was working as
school boy in the [then] famed 'Hoefner' guitar works at 'Bubenreuth',nearby.

He took a tour there with several other GIs
buying hand made guitars. Spoke to me in garbled English that I wouldn't understand now. And yeah...always chewing gum!

I always wondered why Americans were for seemingly EVER chewing bubble gum! Nobody I
knew.....was THAT hungry!

Perhaps it was because of the [nerve wrecking?] action at Nueremberg night clubs?

Of course back then, I thought...what action?

You see, we didn't have the 'FORUM action' here in those days....to tie things over...

[ March 05, 2002: Message edited by: Norbert ]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pique:
was your childhood like that, jgoo? wink

No. I am a life-long resident of Seattle (thus far. As I said, I'm only 16) and consequently had no country side to run around and play in. My friend from next door and I just stuck to the ally behind the house, and a very small wooded area above the yard. When I move out from home, I really want to move to Point Roberts, Washington. I love it there. I've visited many times there, and have lots of family history there.

Hey..isn't Point Roberts part of...er..B.C.?

Sure gotta travel through it to get there,eh!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
14 for me.

How about...

Tobo Gigo "Eddie, kiss me good night!"

Gertrude and Hecliff.

Black and white photos with the date stamped on the top border.

Photo albums with the little red stick on corner pieces for holding the photographs.

Brownie Cameras.

8mm home movie cameras.

The six ounce bottle of Coke.

Royal Crown Cream Soda. (may be just Canadian)

Jawbreakers and jelly beans sold loose at the corner store, 4 for a cent.

Double Bubble bubble gum, 2 for a cent.

Portable phonographs with built in speakers, the multi record centre stick which would automatically drop the next record into place for playing, and of course, a 78 rpm speed setting (along with 33-1/3 and 45), and the little plastic puck insert for 45's.

Hockey Night in Canada, on wednesday and saturday night, in B & W, with the original 6, and Foster Hewitt. (definately Canadian).

I can recall more, but I'm beginning to scare, and date, myself.

Jamie

"A cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" Oscar Wilde.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hi, my name is Nina and I am older than dirt... :rolleyes:

What's worse, here's a ditty that I remember from childhood radio ads, although I have trouble remembering our new phone number.

(to be sung in that fakey ad-jingle voice)
"For 15 cents,
a nickel and a dime,
at Burger Chef
you'll eat better every time.
For a nickel and a time will get you:
French fried potatoes
Big think shakes
And the greatest 15 cent...
Hamburger yet!"

Our local public TV station has been doing an "Arizona Memories" series in honor of Arizona's 50th anniversary. The kicker is the oldsters they have interviewed for their nostalgic memories are younger than me, and have lived in Az less than me.

Now I'm totally depressed, will go off to play various Largos...

Nina

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Larry did we grow up together? I remember 22! I am really not that old I just have a really good memory!

Also
Mattel guns with shootin shells and greenie stickum caps
"Time Bomb" and "Mousetrap" games
Sears Roebuck deliveries
No or unused seat belts in cars
"Friday Night Fights" sponsored by Gilette
The "20th Century" hosted by Walter Cronkite
M-80s, Silver Salutes, and Cherry Bombs

Finally, who would have thought that many of our current celebrities such as Andree Agassi, Michael Jordan, the Governor of Minnesota, etc. would adopt the style of...........MR CLEAN!

laugh

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
WOW! -- This brings back a lot of memories!

& Derick's Statement:
"And who could forget those little toy pianos whose actions were worse than their tone. "

...reminded me that I in fact do NOT have possession of my first piano, but rather my second! -- My first was a little toy piano like Derick describes..
...Purchased by my mom with GREEN STAMPS!!
-Brad

Larry Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
I'll bet no one remembers Estey organs. My first organ was an Estey. It was transistorized, but it wheezed like a reed organ. I went through 6 of them before the dealer finally gave up and let my mother have a used Hammond M-3 for the same price.

And does anyone remember the Emenee organs? They actually *did* have an air motor and reeds.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Ugh.

I remember 20 and I am only 46 - I swear!

Worse than that, I still use a lot of those things, and grandma still uses her wringer (which is a thrill to get parts for)

Defender of the Landfill Piano
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Larry,

You've brought back a couple of long forgotten memories. Does anyone here recall "Bontempi" reed chord organs - again with the little blower motor and reeds, a small keyboard for the right hand, and major and minor chord buttons for the left.

How about the melodica? I remember my sisters taking melodica lessons in school. For those who don't know, it's basically a mouth organ with a keyboard. Also, my early school music teachers (nuns - I'm Catholic) were big on autoharps - a string instrument that's strummed like a guitar but also had chord buttons. Oh man, I gotta stop this - to much is coming back to me.

Jamie eek

"A cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" Oscar Wilde.
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I still have my Mattel snub-nose 38 that shot the plastic slugs from casings with a spring inside. I ran out of the stick on caps, tho. Our grade school had a pump organ in the basement and a crank 78 rpm record player. That was our AV room.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission