2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 6 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
hi, everyone!

i thought you might be interested to know that we've just updated the events page for "grand obsession: a piano odyssey."

we have lots of forum members participating in these events, and some of them may be performing (there will be updates on that very soon).

if you go to www.grandobsession.com and click on "news and events" you'll see the latest. it's being updated as plans evolve, so check back regularly.

especially take note that we now have a detailed schedule for the pianothon on piano row on january 12th. this is an expanded version of the piano crawl a bunch of us here created back in 2003 which was a huge success.

i'm hoping that after the pianothon, we might all be able to gather for dinner somewhere and enjoy each other's company more informally. perhaps we can plan it in this thread?

i am really looking forward to meeting so many of you who i have only known thus far online, and reconnecting with old friends. in case you don't know, many of us here at PW have been getting together like this since 2001.

my publicist teases me that i wrote the book just so i could have a lifestyle of attending piano parties.

not a bad plan, if you ask me! wink

see you soon!

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
This is great, Pique', and I'm so looking forward to this! Thanks for all your careful planning. It should be a great thing for your book and for Piano Row!

And dinner after sounds great. I've been reading a forum called Chowhound that has an active NYC contingent. Visitors inquire about NYC restaurants and group reservations all the time. I've already learned a lot, and I live here!

Chowhound - Manhattan

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'll definitely be there.

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
that's wonderful, pl. i look forward to meeting you at long last. smile

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

my book has arrived

it is absolutely beautiful and i have sooooooo much practicing to do

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
pique,

Can you empty out some private messages or PM me with your email address? My old email address is no more. I need to ask you a quick question.

Thanks,
Derick

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
well, guess what, derick? your mailbox is full, too. laugh

you can contact me by using the contact form on my website.

grandobsession.com

while you are there, look at all the pages. i'm pretty sure i sent you notifications to your old email address.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My copies of GRAND OBSESSION just arrived this afternoon.

[Linked Image]

Got one for myself and a couple to give as gifts.
Love the book already.

People will be talking about this one.
Can't wait til it's an Oprah pick :-)

Hmmnn, when the movie comes out, Richard Dreyfuss can play me smile

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Frank,

Yes, Richard Dreyfuss for sure!

I received the book in the mail yesterday and have a great friend on PWF to thank for that nice surprize - autographed, too!

Thank you dear friend, you know who you are!

I am so very pleased!

Lots of good stuff happens here on PWF!

Happy Holidays to All!

Betty

Penny-Could you please PM me or send me your email or empty your PM inbox? I have something to tell you about the copies of your book that arrived at Barnes & Noble. Nothing to worry about but you should probably know about it.

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
pl,
you can go to my website: grandobsession.com

then click on "contact" and that contact form goes right to my email.

please to tell me what you found and at which store?

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
frank,
after the reading in missoula monday night, we went out for a drink with my tech and his wife and had fun deciding who would play us in the movie. he wants tom cruise. laugh

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
betty, i hope you enjoy it! smile

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Just ordered this book today. I read the sample chapters and was definately hooked.

Cheers!

I received a copy for Christmas. I'm almost done reading it. Just can't put it down!

It's a wonderful read!

Mary

Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman. -- Beethoven
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm positively captivated with reading your book, pique! I couldn't "wait" to get home tonight, get settled for the evening and continue the second evening of my reading adventure.

I need to slow down though as I'm more than half way thru and don't want it to end too quickly! I guess I'll take a break from the book and PW and go play my piano! wink

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
hey, as of today, the book is "in stock" at amazon. which means it is now possible to post a five star review. (sorry, other star ratings won't post there. wink )

and we're expecting a big BIG review in a major outlet on sunday. i can't say where or i'll jinx it. wink

stay tuned.

but truly, in the meantime, feel free to post your review at amazon.

(frank has a button to the right side of this page)

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
tickler & terrytunes,

This is what I've been trying to tell people.

Grand Obsession isn't a book of dry facts about pianos, it's a real story with real characters (many of whom we are familiar with) and an intriguing plot.

Sure you will learn a lot about the piano industry, and what makes one piano sound and feel different from another. But you will also get caught up in the adventure, and that's what makes it so much fun to read.

Perri put her heart and soul (and a lot of work) into this book, and it shows.

Member # 138, we're very proud of you laugh

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
thanks, frank! shocked

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
we've added more details to the pianothon and reading on the website. here they are:

New York City

Friday, January 11, 2008, 7 pm, Barnes & Noble Lincoln Center, 1972 Broadway at West 66th St. (212) 595-6859. Perri will read, take questions, and then sign books while Gabor Fuchs, Mikhail Pais, and Lex Korten perform on a grand piano provided by Beethoven Pianos. Pais, 17, is an award-winning young classical pianist from Russia. Lex Korten, 14, is a jazz phenomenon who has lately been holding audiences spellbound in clubs around Manhattan.

[please note that lex is the son of pw member grotriman]

Saturday, January 12, 2008, 1:30-6:30 pm, the inaugural Piano Row “Pianothon,” celebrating the inception of the new Piano Row Association. West 58th Street between Broadway and Seventh Ave. Beethoven Pianos, Klavierhaus, Bechstein Piano Centre, and Faust Harrison Pianos host readings, a technical demonstration, performances, and a roving piano party on the only block devoted to piano showrooms in New York. You will have the opportunity to play the pianos at the end of each presentation, and GRAND OBSESSION will be available for sale and signing at each of the showrooms.

PIANOTHON SCHEDULE

1:30 pm Beethoven Pianos, 232 West 58th St. Perri reads from GRAND OBSESSION, and Marc Wienert, chief of piano technology at the Manhattan School of Music, demonstrates his “Schubert concert tuning” on a Grotrian Cabinet grand (see Chapters 8, 12, 20, and 28), discusses tuning styles and “stretch characteristic,” and takes questions. Listeners will experience the sound that ignited Perri’s quest.

3 pm Klavierhaus, 211 West 58th St. Perri reads, and pianists Joseph Kubera and Mike “Phlebas” Olsen reprise their performances in GRAND OBSESSION on a gold Art case Pleyel and a new Italian make, a Fazioli. (See Chapter 15.) Their performances will demonstrate the broad range of distinctive voices possible in pianos, and their suitability for different types of music. Questions and discussion to follow.

[please note that joe is pw's own realplayer, a very well-known contemporary music pianist with an international reputation, and mike olsen is pw's own phlebas, famed denizen of the pianist's corner. smile ]

4 pm Bechstein Piano Centre, 207 West 58th St. Piano performances on a Bechstein C. Pianists TBA.

5 pm Faust Harrison Pianos, 205 West 58th St. Perri reads, and store co-owner and composer Michael Harrison reprises his performance in GRAND OBSESSION of his abridged version of Revelation: Music in Pure Intonation (See Chapter 22) on a Bluthner concert grand. Revelation was named a top classical recording of 2007 by The New York Times and The Boston Globe. Michael and musicologist Stuart Isacoff will take questions about the art and science of this extraordinary listening experience. CDs available.

if you have any questions about the program--or suggestions--feel free to comment here.

also, it would be great to get a head count for who would like to get together for dinner afterward.

(psst, frank. wanna get that last excerpt ready for posting soon?)

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission