Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#89858 - 01/03/08 10:01 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

i'm leaving for ny on saturday, and won't have regular internet access after tomorrow.

if people want to arrange to get together for dinner after the pianothon and book a restaurant, please go ahead. you can always email me through the "contact" form on the book's website.

www.grandobsession.com

see you there!

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#89859 - 01/04/08 11:05 AM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

here's what will probably be the final update on the new york city events:

Quote:

Friday, January 11, 2008, 7 pm, Barnes & Noble Lincoln Center, 1972 Broadway at West 66th St. (212) 595-6859. [/b]Perri will read, take questions, and sign books. Then Gabor Fuchs, Mikhail Pais, and Lex Korten[/b] perform classical and jazz on a Bösendorfer grand provided by Beethoven Pianos. Fuchs, trained at Moscow Conservatory, has been celebrated for his “sweeping, virtuosic flair” by The New York Times. His U.S. engagements have included Alice Tully Hall, Weill Recital Hall, and Merkin Concert Hall. Pais, 17, began his piano studies at the age of six at the Shostakovich Music School in Russia, and is the winner of multiple competitions. Korten, 13, is a jazz phenomenon who has lately been holding audiences spellbound in clubs around Manhattan.

(note to pw members--lex is grotriman's son!)

Saturday, January 12, 2008, 1:30-6:30 pm, the inaugural Piano Row “Pianothon,” celebrating the inception of the new Piano Row Association. West 58th Street between Broadway and Seventh Ave.[/b] Beethoven Pianos, Klavierhaus, Bechstein Piano Centre, and Faust Harrison Pianos host readings, a technical demonstration, performances, and a roving piano party on the only block devoted to piano showrooms in New York. You will have the opportunity to play the pianos at the end of each presentation, and GRAND OBSESSION will be available for sale and signing at each of the showrooms.

PIANOTHON SCHEDULE

1:30 pm Beethoven Pianos, 232 West 58th St.[/b] Perri reads from GRAND OBSESSION, and Marc Wienert[/b], chief of piano technology at the Manhattan School of Music, demonstrates his “Schubert concert tuning” on a Grotrian Cabinet grand[/b] (see Chapters 8, 12, 20, and 28), discusses tuning styles and “stretch characteristic,” and takes questions. Listeners will experience the sound that ignited Perri’s quest.

3 pm Klavierhaus, 211 West 58th St.[/b] Perri reads, and pianists [/b]Joseph Kubera and Mike “Phlebas” Olsen[/b] reprise their performances in GRAND OBSESSION on a gold Art case Pleyel[/b] and a new Italian make, a Fazioli.[/b] (See Chapter 15.) Joseph is well-known on the international contemporary music scene, and Mike is a long-time habituè of Pianoworld.com. Their performances will demonstrate the broad range of distinctive voices possible in pianos, and their suitability for different types of music. Questions and discussion to follow.

(note to pw members: joseph kubera is our "realplayer" and mike is our "phlebas.")

4 pm Bechstein Piano Centre, 207 West 58th St.[/b] Perri reads, then Temuri Akhobadze[/b], a concert pianist and émigré from the former Soviet republic of Georgia, plays Scriabin and Schumann on a Bechstein model C grand[/b].

5 pm Faust Harrison Pianos, 205 West 58th St.[/b] Perri reads, and store co-owner and composer Michael Harrison[/b] reprises his performance in GRAND OBSESSION of his abridged version of Revelation: Music in Pure Intonation[/b] (See Chapter 22) on a Blüthner concert grand[/b]. Revelation was named a top classical recording of 2007 by The New York Times and The Boston Globe. Michael and author/musicologist Stuart Isacoff[/b] will take questions about the art and science of this extraordinary listening experience. CDs available.

now in paperback:

#89860 - 01/04/08 01:39 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
Goose68 Offline

Loc: USA
Just finished the book... bravo!

#89861 - 01/04/08 01:48 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
Goose68 Offline

"1:30 pm Beethoven Pianos, 232 West 58th St. Perri reads from GRAND OBSESSION, and Marc Wienert, chief of piano technology at the Manhattan School of Music, demonstrates his “Schubert concert tuning” on a Grotrian Cabinet grand (see Chapters 8, 12, 20, and 28), discusses tuning styles and “stretch characteristic,” and takes questions. Listeners will experience the sound that ignited Perri’s quest."

Okay, after finishing this book, this is just painful to know about... \:\) To be IN Beethoven piano's and meet Perri AND Marc... AND hear the tuning on a Grotrian?

Why o why am I living on the west coast? O the humanity!

#89862 - 01/04/08 02:21 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

goose, i have just two words for you:

jet blue.

\:D

now in paperback:

#89863 - 01/04/08 03:17 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
Goose68 Offline

\:\) You know, I really am considering it... but I dunno, I'm so new to this. I'm a *real* beginner, meaning I have like ONE song in my repertoire, and would feel really out of my league. Not that there's any expectations, but this seems... I dunno.

Anyway, I've never been to NY so there's a lot more to figure out than jet blue...

I'm thinking about it...

#89864 - 01/04/08 03:29 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
Goose68 Offline

lol at myself...

I'm so green to the East coast...

Where would I fly in exactly? JFK?

Thx for any info...

#89865 - 01/04/08 05:05 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
VGrantano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Fly to Newark NJ or LaGuardia. JFK is to far East.

#89866 - 01/05/08 10:30 AM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

i think jet blue only flies to jfk. alaska air flies to ewr (newark). i'll be there at midnight tonight. if you want to fly into laguardia, use northwest.

there's nothing wrong with flying into jfk. it's just a slightly longer trip into the city, but not that much longer. and if you really want to come, i think only jet blue is going to have affordable fares on such short notice.

do a quick search on expedia for airfares, then go directly to the cheapest airline's website to get the fare a few dollards cheaper.

alaska may be reasonable, too. the regional airlines seem to have the best deals.

as for a place to stay in the city, "name your own price" on priceline can yield some amazing deals. be bold and ask for a four star or three star hotel for under $100 and see what happens. \:\)

now in paperback:

#89867 - 01/07/08 03:24 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
Goose68 Offline

OK, im going. \:\) Though I'm getting in at 7:55am Sat. haha.

See you there! I'm friggin excited!

#89868 - 01/07/08 10:53 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

goose, that is terrific!!! wait till i tell marc. way to amp up the pressure on him. ;\)

now in paperback:

#89869 - 01/07/08 11:23 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
Goose68 Offline

Hi pique,

One more question... and sorry if this has been covered but I couldnt spot it.

Is it going to be OK to take pictures and/or video during the demo's, etc.? Not sure if I should bring my Handycam or not... ;\)

Thanks!
Jeff

#89870 - 01/10/08 10:05 AM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
BWV846 Offline

Loc: New York, New York
Pique,

Your writing is excellent and immersive, your experiences took me through an emotional rollercoaster. When you finally meet piano Marlene and describe it, I was thrilled and later on devastated (even on the second reading) when the piano lost its magic voice and presence somewhere in transit.

On your way to recover the "real" Marlene, you took me through an odyssey of intensity. Maybe it is not a ten year trip back to Ithaca or a journey from hell via purgatory to paradise or even a quest for a white whale but, for me, it still is a profound experience. You have helped me to realize that I too, want to "ride the crest of the wave of the expanding universe."

I have read "Piano Obsession" twice already since I bought it on December 31st. I didn't want the intensity of the reading experience to end. I really look forward the Pianothon on Saturday to hearing real pianos--I play a Yamaha P60 that I really like but don't have the room nor funds for an acoustic instrument--and talking to you and having you sign my copy of Piano Obsession.

Thank you for this wonderful reading experience.

"If at first you succeed, try to hide your astonishment."

#89871 - 01/10/08 12:22 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
plays88skeys Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, VA
pique, after reading your posts for four years now, and vicariously going through the whole book writing process along with you, I am so looking forward to finally meeting you tomorrow night at your book signing and reading!

\:\)

#89872 - 01/10/08 11:10 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
hotkeys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massapequa, NY
I just ordered the book from Amazon, and I am planning to attend the events on Saturday.

- Mark

#89873 - 01/10/08 11:12 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
My copy arrived today from amazon! Wish I were close enough to go to all these events. \:\(

#89874 - 01/11/08 08:13 AM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

we now have reservations for a private party of 26 at an italian restaurant called bricco on west 56th st. for 7 pm saturday, after the faust harrison presentation.

our number got too large for the indian restaurant we'd originally planned.

i'm going to be difficult to reach today, but if you didn't already post here that you are joining us (frank, i've included you), or haven't emailed me or spoken to me, and you want to be included, you can either call me or the faust harrison showrooom and ask to be added to the reservation.

the reservation at the restaurant is under the "faust harrison party"

now in paperback:

#89875 - 01/11/08 02:33 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Anybody know where the best parking is around W. 58th? (read: cheapest)

(58th & 6, 7, or 8th ave)
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit)
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#89876 - 01/11/08 03:50 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
Anne Francis Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, ON
I just finished the book last night. Very interesting! Congratulations, Pique. I, too, wish I could join the gang in NYC this weekend!

Check out my blog! www.annefrancis.ca/blog

#89877 - 01/11/08 10:46 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
hotkeys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massapequa, NY
I got some information from the website http://nyc.bestparking.com/#1 and found that ICON Dependable parking LLC(330 W 58th St between 8th and 9th Ave) charges $16 while Central parking systems (345 W 58th St between 8th and 9th Ave) charges $20. Keep in mind this is based on a 12 hour stay in the garage. There are others closer to piano row but they charge between $37 - $50 for the same time period. You may want to make a reservation ahead of time to save yourself headaches before you come into town.

- Mark

#89878 - 01/12/08 07:59 AM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
Piano World Offline

Mark,

Thanks for the detective work.
I tried to look parking up but wasn't getting anywhere. I'll call one of these places.

Best,

Frank B.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit)

#89879 - 01/12/08 09:36 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
lovebach Offline

Loc: Indiana
Pique--

I just finished reading your book this morning. I started reading it last night and stayed up the entire night (no sleep) to finish it. Safe to say that I couldn't put it down. I dearly love the piano, and it is so nice to share that experience with all of the characters (people) that you brought to life in your book. Thanks so much for sharing your story.

Music is moving, your book is moving, knowing that I share this deep love of piano is exquisite!!! I'm sure that many agree with me too!!! Love it, really and truly this is one of the best books that I've ever had the pleasure to read--you are an excellent writer. Now, my husband is sitting next to me reading your book too. He's in Ch 1 and is telling me how much he loves it already and thinks that you're an "excellent writer."

If you guys do the piano-row pianothon next year, we are flying out to participate. We would love that so much!!!!!

In the meantime, does anyone have any recordings of the current presentations/concerts from this year? And, are there recordings of Marlene that we can hear?

Congratulations!!!

I'm going to amazon to give you my 5 stars!!!!!

#89880 - 01/13/08 09:51 AM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
Larry Buck Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lowell MA
Perry aka Pique' captivated a standing room only crowd at Beethoven Piano's with colorful excerpts from her Book, Grand Obsession.

A quiet moment of reflection between Perry and Marc Wienert before the people begin to arrive.

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
facebook.com/E. J. Buck & Sons Performances

#89881 - 01/13/08 10:03 AM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tewksbury MA
Ahhhh.. very nice, Larry!! Lucky you!! thanks for posting pics!

Pique, Hope you are enjoying a most delightful celebration of events this weekend.

#89882 - 01/13/08 10:11 AM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
Larry Buck Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lowell MA
TerryTunes,

Thanks. It was a very nice event. I am happy I made the trip.

Perry's reading from her book was most enjoyable.

Marc got up and spoke about his thoughts on tuning as well as answered questions from the audience.

I am now the proud owner of my signed copy of Grand Obsession.

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
facebook.com/E. J. Buck & Sons Performances

#89883 - 01/13/08 11:15 AM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
Busy Bee Offline

Very Nice! Wished I were there. I can't wait to read more. I'd love to hear about Marc's tuning of the Grotrian.

#89884 - 01/13/08 12:20 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
Piano World Offline

It was a great afternoon.
I was happy to see Perri packed them in at every stop (standing room only).

It was interesting to hear her reading from her book, and provide additional back-story tid bits.

Of course listening to the pianist, and seeing all those beautiful pianos wasn't too hard to take either \:\)

Always a pleasure to run into old friends from the forums, and meet new ones.

My thanks to Perri for organizing the PianoThon and inviting all of us, and to each of the stores that opened their shops to us.

Everyone I spoke to who had read Grand Obsession raved about the book, and about Perri's writing style. They all agreed you don't have to be a piano lover to enjoy the book.

I will post some pictures I took during the PianoThon later, hoping Larry will post more (or tell me where to grab them).

I'm hoping someone will post about the dinner after the PianoThon last night. I wanted to go, but had run out of steam at the point (with a 3 hour drive still ahead of me).

If you haven't checked out the book yet, there are some free chapter excerpts here...
http://www.pianoworld.com/grandobsession/
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#89885 - 01/13/08 12:44 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
Friday, 1/11

It was a wonderful reading. Large crowd, lots of familiar faces and some pretty amazing playing from Grotriman's son. Pique is very good at public speaking. Her reading was enjoyable to listen to. I am happy you had such a great turnout pique! :thumbsup:

And I finally have my own inscribed copy of Grand Obsession!

I didn't take many pictures and of those I took only a few are worth posting.

Plays, jon-nyc and Rachel after purchasing their books as we were about to leave the store. I was stopped by the guard from taking any more pictures in the store! Go figure.

Here's Bootsy playing lovely music as always:

Jon and Jeffrey, discussing finance no doubt:

Bootsy, Plays and Cathys:

Saturday, 1/12,

Fantastic afternoon!

I joined the group at Klavier Haus where the Fazioli in the front window was to die for. Pique read some more from her book and Phlebas played a Chopin Etude (Op.25, No.1) twice--once on the art-case Pleyel and again on a concert sized Fazioli so we could contrast the tone. Of course there's no comparison, both pianos are beautiful in what they do. I was wowed by Phlebas' playing. IMO, his playing of the etude was clearer than that of the professional we heard the night before. After Phlebas's playing, RealPlayer played the 3rd movement of Ives' First Sonata. Another amazing performance from RealPlayer.

I have to find out where Klavierhaus got their fruits because for this time of year they were big, ripe and juicy. Very nice spread they laid out.

I'm with Phlebas in that my opinion of Bechsteins rose with our trip to their store following Klavierhaus. I very much enjoyed tapping out a few measures on some of their display models. There was also a nice performance at Bechstein's by a Russian pianist whose name I don't remember. I only recognized one piece he played, it was a Scriabin Prelude.

Faust Harrison's was overflowing with people, both front rooms were full up. Again, to set the stage, pique read from her book about tunings and then Michael Harrison played sections of his Revelations on a piano tuned to just intonation (or a modified version of it). It was interesting to listen to, but for me a little goes a long way. It's quite meditative. He also spoke of his vision for a "piano of the future" (which he sees coming about in the near future): a piano that can tune itself. According to his dream, you push a button for a desired tuning and when you get up the next morning, it has re-tuned itself. How cool is that!

It was a particular thrill to have Stuart Isacoff there, to meet him and have dinner across the table from him. I read his book "Temperament" a few years back and remember being very excited by it. I only wished I'd had my copy of the book there for him to sign.

Pique was great. Her readings were very well done and it's obvious the audience was entranced. There was lot's of interest, so much so that there wasn't time for all the audience's questions.

I'm very happy to have been able to partake of the weekend's wonderful events and consider myself lucky to know such lovely people.

#89886 - 01/13/08 03:30 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Larry Buck:
[QB] Perry aka Pique' captivated a standing room only crowd at Beethoven Piano's with colorful excerpts from her Book, Grand Obsession.

that just makes me so happy. It's so wonderful that the joy of piano is so captured for us.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#89887 - 01/13/08 10:37 PM Re: grand obsession news and events--updates
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Wish I could have been there! I got my copy and am almost half way through. Pique, it's wonderful! congratulations!!

Sophia

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
10/24/14 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
10/24/14 09:54 PM
Who's Online
70 registered (accordeur, Al LaPorte, Adypiano, alfredo capurso, 16 invisible), 984 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158486 Topics
2327436 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission