2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, 10 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18
Hi Perri,

Are you still making book appearances and if so, any plans for hitting San Francisco? You probably came here already, but I missed you.

Steve

D
D
Pique, you should know that I walked into Beethoven pianos today. Carl was there (didn't recognize me despite selling me a piano and working on it extensively and moving it twice.)

Before I walked out, Carl was selling your book to me. It was sitting right on the desk and of course I knew what was coming as soon as he said "You might like to read..."

"Yes, I read it.."

He proudly informed me that the book had made people cry.

He was really like a proud papa.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Could someone - piqué perhaps? - please remind me which Chopin waltz Perri repeatedly played during her quest to find the piano of her dreams? I don't have my copy of 'Grand Obsession' with me right now.

Thanks in advance smile
cruiser

Michael
I'm quite sure that it was the B minor waltz - that was a memorable detail of the book for me because it's the piece that I often play when I try out a new piano. (And the Chopin waltz mentioned on the first page of the book is one that I'm working on learning right now!)

Carol

Steinway D, No. 528716 (formerly CD-888)
Blüthner 4, No. 150915
Estonia L190, No. 6552
Is that Pinkus Zukerman's wife that wrote the Washington Post review? I'm sure she played the flute...

Charles Walter Queen Anne 1520 (polished cherry)
Roland fp-4 (black)
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
hi, all, i'm home after 2 1/2 weeks away (and not near the internet), i'll be back in a little while to respond to the above... but yes, the chopin B-minor waltz and yes i think she is pinchas' wife. smile

more in a bit... smile

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
skip,
thanks for letting me know you enjoyed the book. if you feel so moved, why not review the book on its amazon page? (see link to amazon in the right hand column of the forums page on pw). five-star reviews still being accepted! wink

anne and pianodevo, thanks for the compliments on my playing. it is a mirage, a sleight of hand, achieved by recording engineer lou brown, who graciously edited my takes. and i owe a lot to the beauty of that piano. the sustain on it is incredible.

woody, thank *you*. i am so appreciative that you let me know you enjoyed the book. i am working on setting up my next round of appearances this very week, and there are definite dates in denver, seattle, san francisco/marin, boston, connecticut, and maybe also SC, NYC, and chicago.

i will post the details here as soon as they are final.

well, denver is all set up for march 29-april 1, i'll be at the ABE booth at the MTNA convention in denver.

and i'll be reading at classical grands in seattle on April 15th.

and i'll be reading at JB Pianos in San Rafael, CA, on April 18th. is that close enough for you, steve? there may also be an event in the city of SF.

and i'll be at the mason & hamlin tour and larry buck's shop in mid-may, and also at the frederick collection event, that's the weekend of may10--monday, may 12th.

more details to come on all of the above, plus more in the works.

jeanne, i am so looking forward to meeting you and lloyd at last in may. i hope you can make it to at least some of the events frank and larry and terry have planned.

also, if you want to write a review for amazon...

smile

that goes for any of you who feel so moved.

thanks for the feedback, horace! it's good to know.

doogs, thank you so much for sharing that encounter with carl with me. carl is very dear to me, and it is very moving to read what you wrote.

carol, good luck with the valse brilliante! i'm nowhere near approaching that one, and i envy you. smile

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Originally posted by diinin:
Is that Pinkus Zukerman's wife that wrote the Washington Post review? I'm sure she played the flute...
No. Pinchas Zuckerman's wife plays the cello, and her name is Amanda Forsyth. They played the Brahms Violin & Cello concerto with the Colorado Symphony earlier this year. The conductor got an eye infection so Pinchas also conducted!

Incidentally he grunts -- loudly -- on occasion while conducting.

Any chance of a reading at a store while you're in Denver?

Steinway C
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Any chance of a reading at a store while you're in Denver?
it turns out that there are no venues available. but if you'd like to suggest one, or can arrange one...

i will be signing books at the ABE booth, rockley music will have it for sale at their booth, and grotrian will also have copies on display.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Too bad about the venues. I can't arrange any but the ones that I can think of are Rockley Music, Onofrio Piano (Joe Onofrio), or if you can get out of the city there's Chris Finger in Niwot about 30 minutes out of town (he's the Grotrian dealer in the area).

Steinway C
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
gabe, rockley wanted to host one in their store, or in their booth, but the store won't work because all the traffic is at the convention center. and the booth won't work for various other reasons.

but at least i will be there, books will be available for sale, and i can sign them for people and meet people.

to have a reading at the convention, i would have had to alert MTNA almost a year ago. the book wasn't even finished at that time.

it is going to be reviewed in the MTNA magazine, and maybe i can do a reading for the convention next year in atlanta. but we shall see....

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Ah, well, if I can sneak into the convention I'll be sure to say hi.

Steinway C
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
gabe, i don't think you need to sneak, but i could be wrong. and if so, maybe we could meet for coffee after i'm done for the day, one of the days.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
piqué,

Yes, y'all come down south where the greetings are warm and winters are mild (compared to Montana Winters). Altanta would work for a lot of us. Can we at least pencil you in?

[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
woody,
atlanta is more than a year away, but it is looking like i'm going to be in the vicinity of charleston during the spoleto festival this coming may. some folks near litchfield beach are working on setting up an event.

more to come, when i have some definites.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Gabe Racz:
Originally posted by diinin:
[b] Is that Pinkus Zukerman's wife that wrote the Washington Post review? I'm sure she played the flute...
No. Pinchas Zuckerman's wife plays the cello, and her name is Amanda Forsyth. They played the Brahms Violin & Cello concerto with the Colorado Symphony earlier this year. The conductor got an eye infection so Pinchas also conducted!

Incidentally he grunts -- loudly -- on occasion while conducting. [/b]
Sorry to interrupt, but ... Eugenia is Pinchas' EX-wife. They divorced many years ago. She does play the flute.

Now go back to the topic ...

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
Well, that explains it, thanks!

Hopefully I will be able to sneak/stroll brazenly into MTNA & pop in for a visit.

Steinway C
Pique,

Being a New York City kid, and barely recognizing San Francisco as an urban oasis, I usually avoid the suburbs like the plague. However, since I enjoyed your book so much and have many common interests, I will be happy to cross the Golden Gate to see you in San Rafael. I look forward to it.

Thanks,
Steve

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Can the Seattle date, Tuesday, April 15th info be put up on the "What's Hot" box? I'd like to see it get the attention it deserves!

Perhaps there are other cities coming up too, I would appreciate knowing about them, as I have other music teaching friends around the country, and would love to direct them to these events.

Thanks,

Betty

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
betty, i'll ask frank to do that just as soon as he returns from florida.

and i'll be listing all the upcoming events just as soon as they are finalized.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission