2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
i'm going to be manning the association book exhibit (ABE) booth at the mtna conference at the colorado convention center from march 29 through april 1.

i'll be signing copies of "grand obsession" at the booth. rockley music has said they will be selling copies at their booths. and grotrian will also be there, and displaying the book.

we were unable to find a venue for a reading, but if anyone wants to plan a get-together during the convention, during the evening, i'm up for it.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
i've just updated the "news and events" page at www.grandobsession.com.

here are some of the highlights, and also looking on to the future what may be in the works:

denver march 29-april 1.

seattle april 15-16

the sf bay area april 17-20

i'm still working out my east coast schedule for may, but the mason & hamlin tour and larry buck's on may 12 is a definite. i'm hoping to get to see the frederick collection.

i have pencilled in a meeting with the local chapter of the mtna in new canaan, ct, for may 9. and i may also be in nyc for several days prior.

i'm going to be in NC and SC from memorial day weekend through the first of june. hoping to be at the spoleto festival in charleston. and some fans at the beach in SC are setting up a big piano party and book reading event at their local college near litchfield beach.

more details on that to come.

then more in soca in june and maybe chicago in october. all details to still be worked out.

for starters, i'm especially hoping lots of you can make it to the events in seattle april 15 and 16. we're long overdue for a piano party in the northwet. smile

specifics are on the web page.

looking forward to meeting you!

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

W
W
I'm half-way through Grand Obsession. I love your book; am as moved by your eloquence as much as by your obsession ;-) I have a Hamburg Steinway C I love as much as you love your Grotrian and probably for the same reason - the tone. In your post of March 19 you mention you're in the SF bay area April 17-20 but on your website, only the San Rafael reading is listed. Are you planning on any other appearances in the area? I live in Palo Alto and on a Friday night it would probably take me three hours to drive to San Rafael.

Marjorie

C
C
A most exellent book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your book Perri Knize. The combination of having witnessed some of your journey here on piano world, reading the book, and my own piano journey, has made for a pleasurable ride.

Craig

No piano industry association. Amateur interests in playing and technical aspects of piano.
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by WangMcL:
I'm half-way through Grand Obsession. I love your book; am as moved by your eloquence as much as by your obsession ;-) I have a Hamburg Steinway C I love as much as you love your Grotrian and probably for the same reason - the tone. In your post of March 19 you mention you're in the SF bay area April 17-20 but on your website, only the San Rafael reading is listed. Are you planning on any other appearances in the area? I live in Palo Alto and on a Friday night it would probably take me three hours to drive to San Rafael.

Marjorie
hi, marjorie,
i am glad to hear you are enjoying the book.

i am going to look into other possibilities in san francisco and possibly west or north marin over the weekend. i don't think i'll be getting to palo alto.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Craig S:
A most exellent book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your book Perri Knize. The combination of having witnessed some of your journey here on piano world, reading the book, and my own piano journey, has made for a pleasurable ride.
thank you, craig! i appreciate hearing that you enjoyed it. smile

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

A
A
Hi Perri,

I finished your book last night, and was especially fascinated by the last few chapters and your search for a scientific explanation for your sensations with Marlene...

I was wondering if the recording of the Chopin Waltz on your website is with the famous Schubert Tuning or not? I'm not sure I have that sensitive an ear, but I would love to try and listen to the difference against another recording of the same piece.

Ariel

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
hi, ariel,
marc told me he did put the schubert concert tuning on the steinway centennial d i was playing on the recording.

however, i did not recognize the tuning or the sound as "mine." it sounded different on that piano than on my piano.

the mystery continues.... wink

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

I just loved your story- and I find myself wondering how Marlene is doing? I need to hear more! Are you planning on visiting Ann Arbor at all? Or- the U-M School of Music? It's finally spring in Ann Arbor!

I think you should make a digital recording to go with your book-- so we can all enjoy that amazing tone!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi - read your excellent book and then read the equally delightful "Little Piano Shop on the Left Bank" - can't decide which one I liked better - maybe I don't have to (currently reading Schonberg's "The Great Pianists" - have you read it?) - like just about everyone else who reads them I learned alot from both books about pianos and piano people - always been a rationalist & not too sure about some of the metaphysics in your book, but like I said it was a real good read overall - one disappointing thing about both books was the total lack of photos, maps & diagrams which would have added a whole new dimension to each - photos of the people, pianos & places, maps of locales mentioned (e.g., Montana, Germany, piano row, etc.), and diagrams of the piano and it's many parts from different angles to make it easier for the average reader to understand better the detailed description of these in the books - Maybe in a future edition, if costs are not prohibitive?. Thanks & good luck! JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by JohnFrank:
Hi - read your excellent book and then read the equally delightful "Little Piano Shop on the Left Bank" - can't decide which one I liked better - maybe I don't have to (currently reading Schonberg's "The Great Pianists" - have you read it?) - like just about everyone else who reads them I learned alot from both books about pianos and piano people - always been a rationalist & not too sure about some of the metaphysics in your book, but like I said it was a real good read overall - one disappointing thing about both books was the total lack of photos, maps & diagrams which would have added a whole new dimension to each - photos of the people, pianos & places, maps of locales mentioned (e.g., Montana, Germany, piano row, etc.), and diagrams of the piano and it's many parts from different angles to make it easier for the average reader to understand better the detailed description of these in the books - Maybe in a future edition, if costs are not prohibitive?. Thanks & good luck! JF
JohnFrank,

This might help a little...

Here are some pictures from our last PianoThon crawl of Piano Row...
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/20395/3.html

And some from 2003...
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/22/18.html

And here are some from a wonderful party/book signing in CA (with a number of the characters from the book)...
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/20133.html

Best,

- Frank B.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
john,
if you go to my website and click on the "links" page, you'll find many websites with photos of the characters in the book, and the grotrian website even has a video of their production, with some of the characters in "grand obsession" at work.

i finalized plans for seattle and the bay area today:

april 15, 2008, 6:30 pm, classical grands, seattle

april 16, 2008, 7:30 pm, sherman-clay, seattle

april 18, 2008, 7:30 pm, JB Piano Company, san rafael, ca

hope to meet you there!

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Frank & pique - thanks for the links! JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Pique

I just wanted to tell you that I am reading your book and I am enjoying it very much.

I especially enjoyed reading about the cutting of the trees in the beginning of the book. What a great prelude to a wonderful story!

You are a wonderful writer. I could just feel your passion for your piano. I admire all the hard work you went through to get that sound back to the way you wanted it. It was just amazing, most people would have given up. But you never gave up that passion for your piano.

I listened to the way you played the Chopin Waltz on your website and it was so beautiful. You play with your heart. You have inspired me to learn to play that song one day.I just want to know ,did you play that song with Marlene?

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
hi, babs,
thanks for your kind words! the chopin b-minor waltz is one of his easier pieces. enjoy it. smile

if you scroll to the bottom of the flash page, you'll see it's a piano that marc owns, in a recording studio in nyc. and there are links with more information.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

G
G
Hello Pique,

As a returning learner myself I particularly enjoyed your wonderful book.

Several points in the story I found myself exclaiming "Yes! That is what I must do!" such as when you talk about having to learn to sight-read and count beats all but from scratch again or jumping up from the chair to play the piano or open the piano and pluck strings etc. Sadly I cannot yet either accomodate or afford a grand piano but I have a highly playable new Kawai K6 with which I am rediscovering the joy of playing. I am filled with trepidation at finding a new teacher to begin lessons again but your book has encouraged me to take the plunge and really apply myself - thank you so much smile

I felt a pang of sadness upon finishing the book but fortunately that was overcome by a sense of palpable relief that the mystery of Marlene's missing voice was finally solved and you were reunited with the piano you fell in love with. Hurrah for your courage, patience and determination in persevering where so many would probably have just sought a replacement instrument and thank you thank you thank you! for putting into words the wonderful journey you underwent in solving the mystery. A truly inspiring read.

Sauter Masterclass 130
----------------------
Currently working on:
Bach: French Suite no. 4
Beethoven: Op 10 no 1
Schubert: Op 90 no 3
Debussy: La Cathedrale Engloutie, Golliwog's Cakewalk, 'Clear the Room'
Balakirev / Glinka: The Lark
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Hi Pique':

I doubt if your book is ever going to be out of print for long. It is destined to be one of those immortal books about the piano and music that entertain, edify, mystify, and amuse not just piano lovers or musicians, but anybody interested in the creative process. Thank goodness your Grotrian, for all its travails, fell into the hands of a wonderful writer who could describe her quest for something which is both elusive and essential. As with all good books about a quest, it can be read on several levels, but the one I like the most is the sense of mystery as to what it was that caused your piano to have such a satisfying and captivating voice. I am still astonished at the answer.

I am passing your book on to my wife, a music lover who is non-musical and who will no doubt have some problems with the technical aspects. I suspect your "novel" nonetheless will intrigue her as it did me. At the very least she will better understand why I repair daily to the piano. Thank you for that gift.

Numerian

Fazioli 228.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by JohnFrank:
- one disappointing thing about both books was the total lack of photos, maps & diagrams which would have added a whole new dimension to each - photos of the people, pianos & places, maps of locales mentioned (e.g., Montana, Germany, piano row, etc.), and diagrams of the piano and it's many parts from different angles to make it easier for the average reader to understand better the detailed description of these in the books - Maybe in a future edition, if costs are not prohibitive?. Thanks & good luck! JF
Even with all the pics available via links here, still think the above would be a great addition to any future editions. smile

BTW - there's a current thread in the Adult Beginner's Forum in which the original post quotes a passage from your book and asks for reactions/responses/opinions, which you might be interested in viewing. It's here .

Regards,

JF

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Pique,

It was a pleasure to listen to you read from your book and to meet you tonight. I promise that I'll be in touch by either PM or via your website when I have finished reading it. Thanks again for signing it and all!

For off-topic discussion, please feel free to visit www.coffee-room.com
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I'm so very sorry I couldn't attend the event with Pique and others last night, I really suffered about my decision because my heart was with you in Seattle.

Can those who attended give some postings, and share with us? And were there any photos?

Betty

Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission