2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
#903223 02/17/05 12:58 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Jolly said:
"Seriously...I'm a firm believer in shotgun weddings, and I think they are quite appropriate. If someone's man and woman enough to make a baby, they ought to be adult enough to take care of it."
Or at least adult enough to adopt the baby out to a couple who can.

My thoughts regarding "unplanned pregnancies" although of course there are some real surprises, from what I've seen more pregnancies(especially if the women are older & wanting a baby or have been in the relationship for quite a while &/or see no ring coming their way) are only unplanned by the men involved wink eek

Personally if one of our boys was very young & got a girl pregnant (we have talked to our older one, as Justme said, rolled eyes & all laugh ), we would not push marriage, unless they were continuing to "knock the boots". First pregnancy especially as a teen, could be an accident, however if you keep doing the same thing, it could just happen again. Thus for the childs sake, time to grow up.

My thoughts, my 2c you may deserve change.

#903224 02/17/05 01:05 PM
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Mamma, we have boys as well. I've also talked to them about "not" pressuring girls into sex with all the "if you love me, you will" begging that goes on. Poor girls feel guilty whether they do or they don't. But, the 21 yr. old informs me the girls are more agressive than the guys.

#903225 02/17/05 01:34 PM
R
RZ Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
How interesting that so many people place more credence in a nostalgic fantasy of what the past was like and in their belief of the way things SHOULD be rather than in statistics which show how things really are.

Why do people do that? Are their children that meaningless to them that they are willing to risk their future because of myths and propoganda rather than factual evidence?

#903226 02/17/05 01:40 PM
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by RZ:
How interesting that so many people place more credence in a nostalgic fantasy of what the past was like and in their belief of the way things SHOULD be rather than in statistics which show how things really are.

Why do people do that? Are their children that meaningless to them that they are willing to risk their future because of myths and propoganda rather than factual evidence?
Go on.... Tell us what you say to your kids.

#903227 02/17/05 01:53 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by RZ:

You can access a fairly interesting study at NIH through PubMed, that compares illegitimate birth rates in the U.S., during the decades of the 40s and the 70s. One would expect the 40s to be quite high, because of the war situation, and God Forbid, we did not have sex education within the average classroom. I doubt we had sex education in the unusual classroom, either.

Funny thing happened on the way to the forum...the 70s rates were higher...a good deal higher.

Now, I'm all for nostalgia, and the old ways, when the old ways work. Apparently, something our grandparents were teaching their kids, was something that works better than what we are doing today.

And guess what, sport? Since more emphasis has been placed on abstinence education, rather than merely how to slide a condom on without tearing it, teenage birth rates have dropped in the latter 90s, and continue to do so today!

Yep, teenagers are teenagers, and things will happen. But it is a lot better for everyone, if it happens at a later time in their life, when they are more mature, and able to handle the consequences.

Nostalgia? Sounds to me like too many people are still stuck in the 60s, or in the hey-day of disco....

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
#903228 02/17/05 01:58 PM
R
RZ Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally posted by justme:
Originally posted by RZ:
[b] How interesting that so many people place more credence in a nostalgic fantasy of what the past was like and in their belief of the way things SHOULD be rather than in statistics which show how things really are.

Go on.... Tell us what you say to your kids. [/b]
I teach them from an early age that sex is private, is an expression of love and is not an impersonal recreational activity. As they grow older, I give them more information about the risks involved and teach them abstinence is the moral and ethical choice. As they get older still, I teach themabout sexual urges and the need for self-discipline, about the damage that can be done from early sexual activity and about their responsibility if they should impregnate a young girl (I only have sons; all of whom are well into or past puberty), and about contraception, including how it works, why it works and the chances it will not work all the time.

I do not fear teaching them both morality as well as practical information. Do you?

#903229 02/17/05 02:08 PM
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by RZ:
I do not fear teaching them both morality as well as practical information. Do you?
What would give you that impression? Because I said my kids (well only one of them, the other was quite comfortable) rolled his eyes?

#903230 02/17/05 02:13 PM
I teach them from an early age that sex is private, is an expression of love and is not an impersonal recreational activity. As they grow older, I give them more information about the risks involved and teach them abstinence is the moral and ethical choice. As they get older still, I teach themabout sexual urges and the need for self-discipline, about the damage that can be done from early sexual activity and about their responsibility if they should impregnate a young girl (I only have sons; all of whom are well into or past puberty), and about contraception, including how it works, why it works and the chances it will not work all the time.

Therefore, would it be safe to assume that you are in favor of no governmental indoctrination in sexual mores at the K-12 level?

#903231 02/17/05 02:24 PM
R
RZ Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally posted by Jolly:

Therefore, would it be safe to assume that you are in favor of no governmental indoctrination in sexual mores at the K-12 level?
Please define for me "governmental indoctrination of sexual mores."

#903232 02/17/05 02:31 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ny1911:
I read an obituary of a woman recently that was 62. She had a number of great-great grand children.
Loretta Lynn was a mother at 14 and a grandmother at 28.

I was born the year Glenn Gould stop playing concerts. Coincidence?
#903233 02/17/05 02:35 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm sorry you're family is so promiscuous. wink

Seriously...I'm a firm believer in shotgun weddings, and I think they are quite appropriate. If someone's man and woman enough to make a baby, they ought to be adult enough to take care of it.
Umm.. getting married and taking care of a baby have very little to do with one another.

#903234 02/17/05 02:39 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by justme:
But, the 21 yr. old informs me the girls are more agressive than the guys.
Dang!! I was born about 20 years too early!!!

#903235 02/17/05 02:46 PM
Originally posted by bcarey:
[QUOTE] You see, for all the carnage in President Bush's budget, one program is being showered with additional cash - almost three times as much as it got in 2001. It's "abstinence only" sex education, and the best research suggests that it will cost far more lives than the Clinton administration's much more notorious sex scandal.

Now what's going on in the above paragraph..? I assume that the notorious sex scandal of Clinton's cost no lives.. unless you want to count the ones that could have lived if his sperm was allowed to meet an egg or two.

Now if you count the amount of viable sperm and assume they met up with viable eggs, maybe 10,000 would be dead if they were aborted.... and then the number of lives lost because of the lack of liberal sex education would have to be determined...

(other than than paragraph :rolleyes: it's a great paper)

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
#903236 02/17/05 02:47 PM
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by Siddhartha:
Dang!! I was born about 20 years too early!!!
laugh

#903237 02/17/05 03:06 PM
Be happy to.

When what the government tells your child over-rides, or is in conflict with what should be personal decisions made by the child's parents, within the confines of one's residence.

Squaring that with the original proposal of this thread, and abstinence, since abstinence is not against any general societal more, or major religion that I can think of, it may be the only governmental program that could pass the above standard.

#903238 02/17/05 03:08 PM
Originally posted by ny1911:
[b] I read an obituary of a woman recently that was 62. She had a number of great-great grand children.
Loretta Lynn was a mother at 14 and a grandmother at 28. [/b]
But, in the context of this thread, Loretta was not pregnant when she married. Or, at least that's what she told me.

I could check I guess, but I believe her...

#903239 02/17/05 03:10 PM
[b] I'm sorry you're family is so promiscuous. wink

Seriously...I'm a firm believer in shotgun weddings, and I think they are quite appropriate. If someone's man and woman enough to make a baby, they ought to be adult enough to take care of it.
Umm.. getting married and taking care of a baby have very little to do with one another. [/b]
Uh, they should have.

Which, is the point of much of this thread.....

#903240 02/17/05 03:19 PM
R
RZ Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Be happy to.

When what the government tells your child over-rides, or is in conflict with what should be personal decisions made by the child's parents, within the confines of one's residence.
I don't understand. Give me an example of a widespread government policy where the government is teaching personal decisions that the child is expected to make when it comes to sexual activity.

Or are you simply arguing that schools should not provide information the parents do not give their children? This, of course, occurs in all sorts of academic fields, and thus is very common.

#903241 02/17/05 03:57 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
RZ:

You know d*mn well that for years the liberals were foisting contraception on kids in schools to the objections of parents. Abstinence was a non starter for the policy wonks. Everything happening today is because the people of the US got fed up with the liberal agenda that many Americans found morally offensive.

You also know that your argument about schools providing information is a straw man -- whether a parent is capable of teaching technical information such as the Table of Elements is not a rationale for showing a 13 year old how to put a condom on a banana in a class demonstration.

Estonically yours,

Ivorythumper

"Man without mysticism is a monster"
#903242 02/17/05 04:02 PM
Originally posted by ivorythumper:
Everything happening today is because the people of the US got fed up with the liberal agenda that many Americans found morally offensive.

The numbers prove it :p .

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission