Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
124 registered (anotherscott, Alexander Borro, ando, accordeur, 661-Pete, 36 invisible), 1676 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#907356 - 08/24/02 11:06 PM Olga Kern
The D's Pianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southwestern Oregon
I don't know if any of you will be interested, but I saw Olga Kern perform at my local community college (why she came, I have NO idea, my piano teacher was wondering also, lol), and she played Rachmaninov's second piano concerto with a symphony that resides about an hour and a half north of me. My teacher got me a free ticket, and I had a couple of friends come along, but why, I have no idea:
I was completely and utterly spellbound the whole way through. Her intensity and (obvious) deep understanding of the music in its essence made me tremble. As a matter of fact, (just a funny side note, lol), I was so entranced with her performance that I was absolutely obsessed with her for the following week or two, and dreamt about meeting her in some coffee shop, lol, and she would know English fluently, and we would be happily married. blah, blah, blah.
FACT IS, I was amazed and still admire her intensity and perfection... it was amazing because during the performance when there was no piano going, she would sit there and nonchalantly look around the auditorium (it was a small one, about a 2,000 seater, and I was in the second row center [!!!]) and maybe examine her fingernails, sigh a bit, but when it was her time to come in, MY GOD, she would just RIP it!
It was abounding throughout the whole performance. During the opening chords (you know, that bridge into the magical world of the concerto), she was so powerful that the tendons in her neck clenched and tightened when she hit the chords. It was truly a spectacular performance, one of the best I have seen (though I guess that's not saying much, because I haven't seen many at all).
I'd like to know if anyone else here at the forum has seen her perform.
(I just changed my sig., so no grief, yeah?)
----------
Sofia Gilmson regarding Bach:
"Bach didn't write the subject; he wrote the fugue."

Piano & Music Accessories
#907357 - 08/25/02 01:26 AM Re: Olga Kern
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I recommend that you get the Van Cliburn DVD (Or VHS) of the 11th competition, besides being an interesting documentary, they have Mrs. Kern playing the Rachmaninoff Concerto #3 fully(I think only the DVD version has this). She played well (Maybe a little bit too bangy) and its worth it getting it, of course, being the fan you are, you probably already have it!

#907358 - 08/25/02 01:40 AM Re: Olga Kern
The D's Pianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southwestern Oregon
Thanks, Crash! I didn't know about this, but now I will actively seek out the DVD! \:\)
(I just changed my sig., so no grief, yeah?)
----------
Sofia Gilmson regarding Bach:
"Bach didn't write the subject; he wrote the fugue."

#907359 - 08/25/02 04:16 AM Re: Olga Kern
Pianorak Offline

Loc: UK
"Thanks, Crash! I didn't know about this, but now I will actively seek out the DVD! "

Likewise! Wish Olga Kern would come over to England. I heard Stanislav loudenitch at the Brighton Festival in May playing Liszt Spanish Rhapsody, Mozart Sonata K310 and Stravinsky Three movts from Petrouchka. Brilliant playing - yet unfortunately his playing made very little impression on me. Perhaps I wasn't in a receptive mood?
Two days later, at the same venue, I heard Simon Trpceski from Macedonia playing Brahms Schumann Variations, Chopin Sonata No. 2 and Chopin Scherzi nos 3 & 4. I was completely bowled over and have just bought his debut CD containing magical performances, incl. Pletnev's transcription of the Tchaikovsky Concert Suite from The Nutcracker. Who would have thought that Trpceski's performance is even better than Pletnev's own! What a pianist!

#907360 - 09/02/02 03:11 AM Re: Olga Kern
jeffylube Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Weatherford, Texas
I saw her perform Rachmaninoff's 3rd concerto at the last Cliburn competition and you're correct about the energy she let's out. She's a very exciting pianist and I think she'll be around for a long time. I have the DVD version of the competition and it does have her whole performance on there, as well as Ioudenitch's. It's a really good DVD, you should check it out.

#1758607 - 09/24/11 07:36 PM Re: Olga Kern [Re: The D's Pianist]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Olga is coming by my school on Tuesday, that will be a treat. Program consists of Rach Sonata #2, Carnival, some other goodies.

Pleasant surprise today: I dropped in local piano shop, and as I was leaving, owner asked, 'you want to play the 9'er Olga Kern is using on Tuesday?' Awesome Saturday.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Decorations - Piano World 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
mp11
by mike2014
12/20/14 11:42 AM
Merry Christmas from TromboneAl
by TromboneAl
12/20/14 10:26 AM
Odd sound effect on old upright
by 661-Pete
12/20/14 06:38 AM
Define "atmospheric" in piano music
by Pianolism
12/20/14 06:18 AM
1 Hour 2-5-1 Jazz Workout Backing Track - Slow to Fast Swing
by Nahum
12/20/14 05:36 AM
Forum Stats
77371 Members
42 Forums
160012 Topics
2349819 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission