Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
102 registered (ando, AndyP, AmateurBob, 32 invisible), 1294 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#907411 - 02/10/03 02:20 PM Uchida Recital Chicago
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Uchida began her program with three pieces by Schoenberg, followed by the Schubert Sonata D894 and ending with the Schumann Fantasy. Her two encores included a part of a Bach French Suite and a movement from Mozart k330.

I've enjoyed hundreds of piano recitals in my day and must say that this was among those that touched me the most. Her musicianship is incredible. I was moved to tears by the shear beauty of her playing.

When she stopped playing the audience was hyptnozied to such an extent that applause was delayed while everyone sat stunned. I had a hard time speaking afterwards. It was that moving a recital.

I was surprised at how much she got out of the Schoenberg, let alone the pallette of colors and humor that she brought to both the Schubert and Schumann. My teacher played the Schumann Fantasy and it was a kind of a signature piece for him, one that many felt he played as well as any in the world. I have to say Uchida's performance was very competitive, very touching -- magical. Her Mozart is peerless. I have enjoyed Barenboim's Mozart for many years, respected some of Brendel's efforts -- but I don't think either touch Uchida in her Mozart.

She's playing at Carnegie Hall next week. If she does half as well, it should be a highlight.

I met her after the recital, and she was both gracious and generous in meeting audience members and signing anything brought to her. I relished the opportunity to meet her.

I'm still a little shook up... that good.

Ken

Piano & Music Accessories
#907412 - 02/13/03 07:12 AM Re: Uchida Recital Chicago
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Thanks for sharing your experience with Uchida. Yes, I whole-heartedly agree with you. She is THIS good!

#907413 - 02/17/03 11:50 AM Re: Uchida Recital Chicago
Rick Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
I was there and also thought she played wonderfully. Although my excuse for delayed applause (especially with the Schoenberg) was simply not quite knowing if that was the end \:\) I called it the "shoe concert", once I saw the program. Coincidence I suppose? I absolutely loved those last two shoes (Schumann and Schubert). The Schoenberg may take a few years (or decades) to get used to. I was apparently not alone, judging from the differential applause levels. Her Mozart was indeed great, to further vindicate Kluurs.

#907414 - 03/06/03 12:33 PM Re: Uchida Recital Chicago
kenney Offline

Loc: Clifton, NJ
kluurs, I just had the opportunity to read your piece. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. That was very thoughtful(no pun intended). Unfortunately, I missed the Uchida recital at Carnegie. I was extremely sick. I look forward, though, to seeing her on the 24th of April--if not the 30th. Not too long ago, I saw Radu Lupu and had a similar experience to the one that you had vividly described. Instead, I was shaking. Some pianists can lift us to heights of emotion that were never before pierced--totally concealed. For that , I am extremely grateful. Hope that you get to see her again!
Sincerely,
Kenney
10:00pm, Wednesdays, WQXR.com 96.3FM "Reflections from the keyboard..." If you don't like it, you don't like ice cream(Sinatra).

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Keyframe corner rounded at una corda spring contact
by sopranojam85
11/23/14 12:04 AM
Yamaha Grantouch GT 10
by Valhalun
11/22/14 11:55 PM
Hamelin plays Gershwin
by beet31425
11/22/14 11:02 PM
Yamaha CP1 Vs CP4 Regardless of Price and weight :)
by Tylor
11/22/14 10:21 PM
Which part of the chord rests
by Anita Potter
11/22/14 10:08 PM
Forum Stats
77013 Members
42 Forums
159279 Topics
2339805 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission