Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#908591 - 12/29/04 04:26 PM Kawai model number decoder ring
lurksalittle Offline

Loc: Solon, Ohio
Can someone help me decode the Kawai model numbers? Iíve been to the Kawai web site but it doesnít seem to tell the whole story.

http://www.kawaius.com/grandpianomodels.htm

Iím trying to understand the relationship between the KG,CA,GS and RX models.

From some web searches and looking through the archives it appears that the quality of the KG is above the GM/GE and below the GS/CA, the GS/CA are above the KG but below the RXs. CA is used for Japanese market pianos , and is used GS for American Market. The SK, RX-A and EX are above the rest of the RXs. Am I close so far?

However is it true that the KG-1 and RX-1 and the KG-2 and RX-2 are essentially the same pianos? But the RX-3 and greater represent a step up in quality? Are the KG-3 greater quality as well or are they more on par with the KG-1 and KG-2?

I understand that Kawai also sold different pianos under the same model numbers are well. I have seen KG-6s in two different sizes (6í9Ē and 7í4Ē)

Are there any differences between the model numbers of the same size in the CA/GS ? e.g., is a GS-30 and GS-40 the same piano.

Finally I understand the final letter in some of the Kawai models represents a rough age range of some of the models, except when it is E or S. Then E means bright voicing and S means mellow.

Do the first 3 editions of the Larry Fine book have any more details? It seems like the relationships are complicated enough, that someone had to write them down somewhere.

Hopelessly confused in the land of Kawai.

Dave

#908592 - 12/29/04 09:09 PM Re: Kawai model number decoder ring
KawaiDon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Dave,

You are not as confused as you might think. You have things pretty much right.

The only problem is that you are comparing different pianos from Kawai that were made at different times. Comparing them as if they were all being made at the same time is not really valid. When considering them fpr purchased as a used piano they are simply different, not necessarily better or worse.

From 1970 through 1995 Kawai went through changes in philosophy in what style of piano they wanted to make. The basic structure of the pianos, the types of soundboards, the action designs and materials, the hammer types - all were changed. With each progressive change, the model designations were changed - for instance, the KG-C series became the KG-D series when the actions were changed (amongst other things). The D series became the E series when the actions were changed again, the hammers were made harder, and the scales and plates were changed. The KG-2S was a limited model that was actually a throwback to the KG-2D, for those dealers who wanted to have the older style tone of the D model. It was only made in the KG-2 size. The KG-A series reflected more subtle changes to the design, but the tone was made a little softer and sweeter than the E series.

The RX pianos were introduced in 1995, and reflect the incorporation of many of the developments made in the EX piano from 1980 through the early 90s. The Kawai web site has a section called the "RX Guide to Excellence" which gives an overview of the differences in the design, mainly as compared to Kawai's older style of construction. Even though the KG-1 and KG-2 were the same size and the string scales are very close, the piano designs were changed dramatically.

Before the RX pianos were introduced, there were some limited production models sold which were predecessors to the RX models. The R-0 was the predecessor to the RX-3, and the R-1 was the predecessor to the RX-5. The R-2 was never sold in quantities, but I have seen one or two.

The 6'6" RX-A was built in Kawai's R&D laboratory along side the EX pianos, and was completely hand made like the EX. The design was incorporated into the RX-5, so the RX-A was discontinued in 1994.

The GS models (which were sold in all parts of the world) were intended to be bigger, brighter and more powerful sounding pianos. In that sense, they were considered a notch above the KG models. The CA models were of the same design as the GS, were sold mainly in Japan and Europe, but also were sold new in the US through certain dealers. I have never heard what was different between the CA and GS models, but I believe the CA models were slightly less expensive.

The Shigeru Kawai pianos follow the same designs as the RX pianos, but they are hand made in very limited quantities with very special materials and methods. When played side by side with the RX pianos, they illustrate very well the difference between very high quality production pianos, and the highest quality hand made pianos of the same designs.

Please, please don't even ask about Kawai upright models - I won't be able to answer. I once attempted to make a chart of all of the upright models over time, and gave it up - the company simply changes the upright models too often to keep track of all the models made in the past 30 years.

When comparing used pianos, it really is best to forget the position in the line and just consider the size and listen to the individual piano. The condition of the piano and the amount of use and care it has received really are much more important than what "series" it was or where it was in the model line at that time. Personally I feel strongly that specifications should never be used to choose a new piano, but this is even more true of older pianos.

Don Mannino RPT
Kawai America

#908593 - 12/30/04 08:02 AM Re: Kawai model number decoder ring
Steve Cohen Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Don, I know I've said this before, but you are a real credit to our industry. Thank you...and Happy New Year.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#908594 - 12/30/04 08:50 AM Re: Kawai model number decoder ring
lurksalittle Offline

Loc: Solon, Ohio
Don,

Thanks for your detailed response. I promise not to ask about uprights.

I have played a couple of KG-2 pianos and like them, but Iím open to something a little bigger, but definitely less than 7í. My choices would seem to be a KG (3,5,newer 6), CA/GS (30,40,50,60) or RX (3,5). I was hoping to narrow the search down a little, the whole used buying thing can be time consuming, but it sounds like all of these models would be fine. Now it seems like more of a matter of finding the individual instrument I like.

Thank you very much for your help.

Dave

#908595 - 12/30/04 08:59 AM Re: Kawai model number decoder ring
TomFL Offline

Loc: SW Florida
I "ditto" what Steve Cohen just said - I think Don has just exemplified what this forum is all about. Thank you Don, for your informative post and Thank You FRANK, for the PF!!!

Happy (and safe) New Year to all!

#908596 - 12/30/04 10:10 AM Re: Kawai model number decoder ring
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
What TomFl said about what Steve said about what Don said.

Petrov I,II,III,IV,V .... they're numbered backwards maybe, but there's (literally) only a handful. My "piano model" worksheet is a real MESS in the many-modeled Kawai column (Yamaha not much clearer) and although I haven't read this thread thoroughly yet, after I have a good nights sleep, find my glasses and medication, I think I'll be able to straighten that mess out a little bit. \:\)

Thanks for the clarification, Don!

Bob

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
149 registered (Adypiano, 36251, Akshay, accordeur, acortot, 41 invisible), 1674 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74215 Members
42 Forums
153526 Topics
2249854 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
53 seconds ago
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 01:38 PM
Installing plain wire: no twists involved
by A443
Today at 01:12 PM
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
Today at 12:32 PM
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
Today at 10:50 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission