2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, 9 invisible), 1,393 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Diarmuid,

I guess my interpretation of Norbert's question was more along the lines of what would you, as a pianist, who knows these instruments, think is fair to pay. And perhaps that is how you interpreted it as well.

I'm not knocking your prices, I think they are wonderul, I just don't think they are realistic.

Well Norbert seems to be up to something and I'm very curious as to what he's going to spring on us!

Derick

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
jolly's prices, of all those posted so far, are the closest to what i found one can reasonably expect to pay if one is a very good negotiator and knows where to look.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
D
D
Like I said, I know nothing about production costs, the piano industry, dealers costs e.t.c. And it's not fair to criticise me for being unrealistic when we were solicited for an uninformed, and essentially fun opinion. If you want people to have a wild stab at something (and throw in a bit of attitude for fun), don't go tut tutting at them when they do. It's kind of patronising wink

[ March 05, 2002: Message edited by: Diarmuid ]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
pique - a Steinway B for 42K??? Please tell me where.

Diarmuid - I'm not criticizing, I was just stating my opinion on fair versus realistic. Our numbers don't happen to line up but there certainly is no right or wrong answer.

Again, I'm interested to see what Norbert has up his sleeve with this question.

Derick

[ March 05, 2002: Message edited by: Derick ]

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Okay, I guess I'll bite. These are some prices I was able to wrangle out of some of the dealers in my area within the last year. It should be pointed out that I have official status as the world's ABSOLUTE WORST haggler/negotiator, and as such these are prices that were offered with no di-ckering (had to trick the censor-bot) of any sort on my part. That would make them, IMHO, fair to the dealer :rolleyes: but nevertheless seemed fair to me:

Yamaha C3 - $19,800

Yamaha C5 - $21,500

Kawai RX2 - $18,900

Kawai RX3 - $20,800

Estonia 6'3" - $19,300

Petrof III - $19,800

Of course, this really doesn't do much in the long run, since piano prices seem to display variations based on geographical locations (why does everything seem to cost more in the Northeast?) and dealer overhead.

Make whatever you will of these prices. All I did was ask a few questions and the going rate for the pianos listed above. It seems that they fall pretty much in line what I have heard others negotiated down to, so I guess it's either all in your attitude or the tactics of the sales staff! smile

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Matt G.:

(why does [b]everything
seem to cost more in the Northeast?) [/b]

Because you have to pay people a lot of money just to get them to live there.

wink

Defender of the Landfill Piano
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Norbert:
"KEINE FAULEN EIER, Kinder!"

Geez, Norbert you sure know how to take all the fun out of dropping a bomb, don't you?

:p

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
Norbert Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Not really....I said...on bin Laden!!

D
D
This isn't worth pursuing, it really isn't but calling something an opinion doesn't preclude it from being a criticism, or having critical overtones.

Hmmm...I'm considering blackballing you at the next secret meeting of the Inner Circle Derick. Lets face it, the Alpha Member's still growling. It'll be the wilderness for you sonny, as a penance for your effrontery laugh

F
F
The Fazioli got mentioned a lot for being overpriced. How much does a Fazioli 6' cost in the US? laugh

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Dairmuid,

You said:

This isn't worth pursuing, it really isn't but calling something an opinion doesn't preclude it from being a criticism, or having critical overtones.

According to the Thorndike Barnhart Comprehensive Desk Dictionary the definition of opinion is:

1. what one thinks; belief no so strong as knowledge; judgement. 2. impression; estimate.

Apparently you cannot deal with any opinion that differs from your own.

I just realized that you said my car example wasn't a fair comparison. Excuse me now while I find a corner to sit and sulk.

Derick

[ March 06, 2002: Message edited by: Derick ]

D
D
So a "judgement" cannot be a critical judgement? It's implicit in the phrase "What one thinks" that that cannot be critcal e.t.c. Saying something is "an opinion" is a very general statement that allows plenty of scope for a critical element. It's my opinion that Bin Laden is mad. Is that just an opinion or a criticism? It's both. It's an opinion that is also a criticism.

And I can deal with different opinions. That's why I didn't single you out and criticise your prices. My point is that you're criticising me for being unrealistic when I fully admitted from the start that I didn't know what a realistic price was for a manufacturer. I was just having a wild stab for the fun of it and you got all real and serious on me. I didn't think that was fair or in the spirit of Norberts original question.

And now you're getting even more serious.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Pianos are no different than any other consumer item. The law of diminishing returns applies. Is a $42k Steinway TWICE as good as a $21K Charles Walter? I think not! Once you start getting into the higher priced pianos you really aren't getting much bang for your buck. Keeping it in the realm of piano, lets say you had your eye on one for $25k. One coud argue that you could also find one you also liked pretty well for $20K. If you spent the $5K difference on: A year of lessons (50 weeks x $50 =$2500); a music cabinet, metromnome, lamp ($500); Henle editions of your favorites ($500); for variety, practice, and the kids ...a Yamaha p80 portable pro-grade digital piano with stand and external powered speakers, headphones ($1100), 10 piano CDs ($150), tickets to a concert ($100),etc, etc. You would get much more "piano enjoyment" and you would play better (with the lessons and a good, silent practice instrument)for that 5 grand than what might be an extemely slight difference in sound, look, or especially "status or name recognition".

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
B
B
Whew, the last few posts! Wow.

It's as if Derick and Diarmuid are aliases for Larry and Good Will.

It may not yet be over.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think the bang for the buck in expensive instruments depends on your playing ability. For your average pianist the bang for the buck is low. For a professional who needs or wants those less tangible advantages the bang for the buck is probably higher.

Ryan

Sorry, I admitted that I don't know the market for Steinways. That is because A) why buy a Steinway when a CW is built as well, can deliver equivalent sound, and costs half as much , and B) the best Steinway built today has Mason & Hamlin on the fallboard. wink

Norbert, if that dosen't jump start this sucker, there ain't a cow in Texas! laugh

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ryan, I fully agree. There is a big difference between those who are: "I have always wanted to play piano and now want to start (or re-start)lessons..."or "my 8 year old daughter really likes piano..." etc. versus "I am in my 3rd year studying piano at the conservatory and..." . One must do a self-evaluation first and then put the information gathered from this board an elsewhere into that context.

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Diarmuid,

I don't want to get into an argument over semantics on this, but when I say something is my opinion, I mean it is my impression, or it is in my estimation. There is no right or wrong.

I did say that I felt your prices were unrealistic, but that was not meant in a negative way. Inherent in any opinion is a judgement. But that judgement can be critical and negative, or merely an expression or statement of how one feels.

My statement about your prices was intended to be akin to the latter.

Derick

D
D
Fair enough. That was my point. Calling something "an opinion" does not preclude the possibility that it was a criticism.

If you feel my prices were unrealistic that's ok, but I didn't mean them terribly seriously and I didn't claim to really know anything about how much pianos cost to manufacture. People seemed reluctant to contribute, so I was just entering into the fun of things with a "lower limit" type of list.

I still think Faziolis are crazily priced though wink Lovely pianos (I played seven of them last year) but Ryan, do you know many discriminating pianists who can actually afford one!! (Angela Hewitt and Nikoli Demidenko don't count. I heard they got big discounts ;)).

Norbert Offline OP
OP Offline
All very well......but I can't drop 'the big'
one without more figures.

A lot more.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission