Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
158 registered (accordeur, activee, 36251, A Guy, ABC Vermonter, 40 invisible), 1684 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#909030 - 12/15/04 08:01 AM Re: Very Low Mileage, Like new, Hardly used at all ...
SoftwareResearch Offline

Loc: Germany
I don't know the situation in the US, but my impression is that Steinway and Bösendorfer are two brands that I would avoid buying used. Not because these are bad pianos but because every owner of these pianos seems to think that his "30-year-old-got-last-tuning-10-years-ago" Steinway or Bösendorfer is still worth $30K or more. There may be exceptions, but this was my experience.

Other top-brands like Bechstein, Grotrian, Förster, or Blüthner can be bought for much less.

One interesting but risky variant is to buy an older piano in need of a big repair. If you add the cost of the repair to the price, you can sometimes get an excellent piano for very little money. I'd recommend this option only if the buyer has enough time and experience to do this, though.

Klaus

#909031 - 12/15/04 09:31 AM Re: Very Low Mileage, Like new, Hardly used at all ...
ivorythumper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Great American Southwest
 Quote:
Originally posted by David Kirkham:
Keith at Piano Craft makes a really nice Maestoso for way under 20K. [/b]
I am interested in what you are talking about-- I visited the Piano Craft website and could not find anything about a Maestoso.

Steve

Ivorythumper

"Man without mysticism is a monster"

#909032 - 12/15/04 09:35 AM Re: Very Low Mileage, Like new, Hardly used at all ...
Christopher James Quinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ivorythumper:
 Quote:
I am interested in what you are talking about-- I visited the Piano Craft website and could not find anything about a Maestoso.

Steve [/b]
Look for David's recent post "Thanking Keith.."

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8883.html

#909033 - 12/15/04 09:52 AM Re: Very Low Mileage, Like new, Hardly used at all ...
Ori Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stamford CT, New York City .
Posted by seebechstein:
 Quote:
Here's an ad that you think you would occasionally see (but never do) in the local newspaper, pennysaver, greensheet, or eBay:

Hello. I recently lost my grandmother and inherited her furnished home. I'm selling the furniture which includes a grand piano, black, really big. Name on piano something like Borendozer, can't remember exactly; had some funny dots over the letters I think. Looks to be in perfect condition but has an odd shape, not round on the end. I think she bought it new about 5 - 10 years ago. Asking $5000 or best offer. [/b]
Funny… \:D but it is also raising a good point.
This ad is never seen for a reason.
When people inherit a piano and think it may have some value they will usually call some local dealers first.
What the dealers are willing to pay, is the value of the piano for them.
Dealers have to take few things into account.
The amount of work/money that it will take in order to put this piano into a “showroom” condition (showroom condition may greatly vary from one dealer to another). The cost of the moves, cost/risk of providing a warranty and the service that they will have to offer to the customer that will buy it from them.

Sometimes, the person that is trying to sell their piano is happy with the amount that is offered to her by several dealers, and sells the piano to one of them. Usually, there will not be a great difference between dealers as they know the value of the instruments.

Other times, the person is unhappy with the quotes they got and are trying to sell it privately.
They will usually try to get more than a few hundred $ then what the dealer is willing to pay.
I have seen many times pianos that no dealer was willing to pay more then 7K for, being offered privately for 15K or even 20K by the seller.
Sometimes people do very good buying privately, other times they do not.
But they will almost ALWAYS pay substantially more then a dealer for the same piano. If work is needed, it will cost them a lot more than it will cost the dealer (as the dealer will get wholesale prices or will do the work himself or in his factory).

So I usually recommend for those looking to buy pianos privately to stick to pianos that are not too old(less then 20 years if possible) and if they find something that they think is interesting, have it inspected by a tech.

A 5 yo Bosie for 10K?
Forget it, the sealers will buy it before it will get to the paper.

Authorized dealer representing:

Bluthner, Bosendorfer, Steingraeber, Estonia, August Forster, Haessler, Kawai.

Restored Steinway pianos.

www.allegropianos.com

#909034 - 12/15/04 10:27 AM Re: Very Low Mileage, Like new, Hardly used at all ...
ivorythumper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Great American Southwest
Great thread -- Now I'll have to add the Maestoso to my search list...

I'll have to figure a way to get out to Maryland..

--Steve

Quote:
Originally posted by Christopher James Quinn:
 Quote:
Originally posted by ivorythumper:
 Quote:

Steve [/b]
Look for David's recent post "Thanking Keith.."

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8883.html [/b]

Ivorythumper

"Man without mysticism is a monster"

#909035 - 12/17/04 03:28 AM Re: Very Low Mileage, Like new, Hardly used at all ...
Christopher James Quinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

***Bump***

Any more empirical info to add to this?

#909036 - 12/17/04 06:52 AM Re: Very Low Mileage, Like new, Hardly used at all ...
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
One more thing... ask your tech if he/she knows of any good private pianos that are likely to be sold.

They will have had good first-hand knowledge of the condition of the piano itself, and often are one of the first to know when an owner is going to sell. They sometimes get called in for appraisals in estate sales as well--I know my tech does. It may be possible to go see and buy a piano that never officially enters the market.

I also have a friend who was able to buy a good Steinway from a music prof here. Turns out the school was going to "recycle" (for lack of a better term) all the pianos in the music school. We all think of the practice pianos, but faculty studio pianos are also often swapped out. The piano would have been sold in one of those ubiquitous "university sales" jobbies that are such a nightmare. In this case, my friend spoke earlier to another member of the music department, who in turn passed her name on when the pianos were due to go on sale. She did buy it during the sale, but it had already been earmarked for her.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Quick question
by Phil Greenough
12/22/14 03:51 PM
Question about hanno.
by activee
12/22/14 02:42 PM
How to solve psychological problem on piano playing?
by ppianist
12/22/14 02:34 PM
Moving from desert to ocean
by cullam
12/22/14 02:00 PM
CP50 noisy key...
by G. Bonner
12/22/14 12:30 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160059 Topics
2350564 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission