2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#909301 06/05/03 09:28 AM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Hi, all,

Wouldn't you know it? I have a recital this weekend, and I have a stuck key on my piano. I don't want to call a tech -- this piano is about to be retired and I don't want to put a penny into it.

Basically, you press the "C" key, and it stays down and the note continues to sound. I opened the top and pulled off the front panel for a look. Basically, if I move the hammer with my finger, it returns just fine. But if I use the key, it doesn't. It looks like the hammer might be too close to the next lower hammer (perhaps brushing against it), which is also a bit sticky.

It has been raining a lot lately in my area, but temps have been cool so I haven't used the air conditioning. Could that be the problem? I have a dehumidifier I could plug in if that might help.

Any quick fixes out there?

Cindy -- who has enough troubles at recitals without having her practice time diminished

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
A sticking key (can) be due to various things, but If you think the hammers are rubbing then:

(since the piano is nearly dead) take a nail file (emery board) and file down the side of the hammers that are touching. This shouldn't take much.
If you're feeling more industrious, take off the front panel and get a long screwdriver. Might need a flashlight too. You will need to determine if it is a flat or Hex screw (old pianos used only flathead screws).
Now, gently get the scredriver past the jack (which can be moved around some, and is in-front of screw) and while holding the hammer head in place, tighten the flange screw located at the bottom (lower-end) of the hammer shank. To do this you should be facing your piano straight-on, the flange screw will facing straight back at you.

Manitou

Manitou - Pianist - Technician
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
To add to Manitou's post (he was as per usual right)

If you can make the key stick without the weight of the hammer on it, then you know you don't have a problem with hammers. In this case, you most likely are experiencing a tight key bushing. This very normal, and happens on ALL quality of levels of pianos quite frequently. This is indeed caused by humidity changes, so it may be the problem.

To fix it though, it is best to have a tech do it, as it involves removing the key and easing the key bushing.
A nice tech should do this repair cheap, as it takes about 5 minutes to check all the keys in the piano.

KlavierBauer

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Cindy,

To free a stuck key I grip the sides of the key between the thumb and forefinger and wiggle it side to side while moving it up and down. You may need to depress the adjacent keys with the other hand to get access. If it is a black key grip it as low as possible so you don't dislodge the the sharp from the keystick. This will often loosen it enough to get by.

There are many terrible things which can go wrong with this procedure but none of them have happened yet!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It may be as simple as the keyslip rubbing against the front of the key, That's the long, narrow board tht goes accross in front of the keys. On a Steinway, it simply lifts up and you can adjsut it by turning out the screws on the cheekblocks on either side...

Maker of the TCHAMMER
www.thomasccobble.com

BUSY IS BETTER THAN BORED
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks, everyone! I went with Mark's solution and wiggled the key. There was a noise like the sound of something falling inside the piano, and now it works perfectly. Go figure.

Cindy

J
J
Hey everyone,

I wonder if you could provide some help here.

Ive got a S&S K-52 and one of the black notes (C# octave above middle C) is sticking when played.
Interestingly, it gets stuck _only_ when the sustain pedal is depressed and not when played detached. Without pedal, it returns quite normally and has action as quick at the other notes.
This piano is fitted, oddly for an upright, with a middle sostenuto pedal, not a practice or damping pedal.
This leads me to believe that the sticking of the key is to do with the sostenuto/sustain mechanism, as opposed to something more simple like felt getting in the way somewhere somehow.

Has anyone similar experience with this issue? And what can be done to resolve this issue?
In around 3 months I'll be getting the piano tuned and the action and key dip regulated but anyway, I would love to fix it myself to know how to do it in the future and also because its driving me demented!

Many thanks for any help or advice in the meantime.

Last edited by johnmacdonald; 11/16/16 05:30 PM.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by johnmacdonald
Hey everyone,

I wonder if you could provide some help here.

Ive got a S&S K-52 and one of the black notes (C# octave above middle C) is sticking when played.
Interestingly, it gets stuck _only_ when the sustain pedal is depressed and not when played detached. Without pedal, it returns quite normally and has action as quick at the other notes.
This piano is fitted, oddly for an upright, with a middle sostenuto pedal, not a practice or damping pedal.
This leads me to believe that the sticking of the key is to do with the sostenuto/sustain mechanism, as opposed to something more simple like felt getting in the way somewhere somehow.

Has anyone similar experience with this issue? And what can be done to resolve this issue?
In around 3 months I'll be getting the piano tuned and the action and key dip regulated but anyway, I would love to fix it myself to know how to do it in the future and also because its driving me demented!

Many thanks for any help or advice in the meantime.

Hi John
You might want to move this post to the 'Piano Technicians' forum-- you will get advice there.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission