2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Ori:
... I'm not sure whether Grotrian use front duplex or not and there were no pictures posted on this thread for us to see...
Not as crisp or close as I'd like to see, but these pictures of recent Grotrians don't show a tuneable front duplex (no aliquots, only a bearing bar and agraffes; also note the felt under the string section between agraffe and bearing bar):

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nor does this picture of an older model:

[Linked Image]

Ori Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Chica,
By these pictures it doesn't look like this is a duplex scale...or what is usually meant when someone is saying “duplex scale”, which is actually a tuned duplex scale...and should actually be called more accurately a tuned aliquot segment as Del pointed out.

But in any case, it doesn't look like what usually people refer to as a duplex scale design, in the spirit of the "duplex scale design" found on certain pianos plates, and definitely isn't a tunable duplex segment (or aliquot segment).

Del,
I'm glad that you didn't take offence to me disagreeing with you, as none was meant and none should be taken.
As I said before, I respect you and understand that you wish to present observations and conclusions you reached to over the years to others.
I have also met though some other piano designers that were happy to share their observations and conclusions with me, and that the results of their experience and knowledge, which was the pianos they designed, left me very impressed.
It just so happens that few of these designers, and obviously some other designers whom I didn't meet with, have an opinion about this matter that is different then yours.
Hence the pianos they design have this element commonly referred to as duplex scale (tuned and tunable aliquot system), and the pianos you design don't have it.

I'm sure these designers, that are also very knowledgeable as you are, also won't lose any sleep at night by knowing that there are skeptics that refuse to accept their observations and conclusions about everything.

I think that this diversity is what makes the instruments offered in the market so interesting and different from each other. If there was only one opinion by one designer that was right all the time, then many of the high end instruments (that are willing to pay for high quality construction of their pianos) would sound just the same.

I for one enjoy this diversity and wouldn't want all pianos to sound like Charles Walters.
I'm happy that in addition to this fine piano there are also Bluthner, Mason & Hamlin, Estonia, Steinway, C.bechstein, Fazioli, Bosendofer and many other makes that can be so different from each other and represent the philosophies of their designers.

I’d like to thank you for your comments though as they are highly appreciated.

Ori Bukai - Owner/Founder of Allegro Pianos - CT / NYC area.

One can usually play at our showroom:

Bluthner, Steingraeber, Estonia, Haessler, Sauter, Kawai, Steinway, Bosendorfer and more.

www.allegropianos.com
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally posted by Del:
[QUOTE] The harder the V-bar material the faster strings break.

Del
Del, I wonder if you'd care to elaborate on this point. Does this phenomenon exist simply because a softer material will almost always preferentially wear when in rubbing contact with a harder material? Is it possible that in wearing a groove in the pressure bar, the string effectively polishes the bar? Does the string, by wearing a groove, soften, or increase the radius of the contact area?

Also, I wonder if anyone has tried any of the sintered metals into which lubricants of various kinds can be imbedded.

H
H
Moderators: I wonder if it would be possible to have a button added that would automatically sort the content of threads like this into, say, four seperate columns, labeled:

1. Marketing Terms
2. Technical Equivalents (where there is one)
3. Facts Based on the Physical Sciences
4. Beliefs

This would be most useful, as I find generally find it impossible to reconcile the views and opinions of those who subscribe more to one column or the other, I'd just like to see the sorted text, and try to figure it out myself.
:-)

HH
Completely and forever out of the music business (but still full of opinions)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Del, et. al.,

My Grotrian (whose pictures launched this discussion) is a 2005 model. The front duplex area is not seemingly designed to affect the tone. Unlike the back duplex which clearly sounds when plucked (and in a consistent pattern) the front duplex area is muted.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I guess my background in engineering and science is causing me to discount much of what is being said in this discussion.

There is absolutely no data being presented. Only opinion. This goes for everybody's posting so far.

Theorizing about something does not make it a fact. We know this from the Kansas State School Board.

The Grotrian has a huge angle between the capo bar and the tuning pin plate and the duplex there SINGS LOUDLY. Therefore the energy transmitted is not conducted along the string alone.

To claim that a duplex is "sized" to vibrate with the main note is garbage when it is plain to hear that ALL the duplexes are ringing even if you strike only one note.

To make statements about duplex loudness or sustain intervals without data is merely expressing an opinion. This does not represent a fact.

Numerous other unsupported claims are stated in this discussion and I think we need to examine them one by one.

I am at work and can't take the time (been away on the weekend). But I think we can come up with experiments to verify and validate or prove wrong statements that are being made here. But I do regard a lot of what is being said as opinion and nothing more.

Let's figure out a more intelligent way to pursue this knowledge-quest. Eh?

Ahem.

Regards,

Grotriman
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
g,
at this point i am thinking that there are two definitions of "duplex" being bandied about here. there is the literal definition, by which the grotrian scale is obviously a duplex.

and then there is the conventional meaning of the term as it is used in the piano industry, and from this it is less clear to me. it seems our piano industry friends are telling us that by the industry's standard definition of the term, the grotrian does not have a duplex scale design.

further comments, anyone? is my understanding correct:?

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Grotriman:

The Grotrian has a huge angle between the capo bar and the tuning pin plate and the duplex there SINGS LOUDLY. Therefore the energy transmitted is not conducted along the string alone.

I thought this area in a Grotrian was muted with felt. If so, how can is "sing loudly"?

Derick

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Del, et. al.,

My Grotrian (whose pictures launched this discussion) is a 2005 model. The front duplex area is not seemingly designed to affect the tone. Unlike the back duplex which clearly sounds when plucked (and in a consistent pattern) the front duplex area is muted.
Thanks. This piano does not have a tuned aliquot stringing scheme. (Therefore it must not have much sustain in the treble sections. Right?) The string deflection angle seems to be (it’s a bit hard to tell from the picture) relatively sharp and short. Through the top two sections there does not appear to be any muting felt. Nor should it ever be necessary.

The backscale will always have a clear sound when plucked and (in a system using a bearing rod such as that shown in the picture) will always have a consistent pattern to it. What any given string backscale segment that is plucked won’t have is a pitch directly related to the speaking length of the string. Except by accident. (Which, come to think of it, pretty much describes most of the so-called tuned duplex—i.e., aliquot—backscales as well.)

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
This piano does not have a tuned aliquot stringing scheme. (Therefore it must not have much sustain in the treble sections. Right?)
well, members of club grotrian, let's not all jump del at once. wink laugh

del, this piano has amazing sustain. sustain is one of it's most compelling and seductive characteristics.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
oh, i almost forgot to post part of the explanation the grotrian factory gave for NOT employing the duplex design.

they said the duplex design was created to lend more power to a low-tension design. the grotrian has thicker strings, i.e., it is a high-tension design, and so the duplex scale is inappropriate for it.

this is from the email they sent me:

The main difference between the duplex scale and our mixture scale is founded in the influence of the acoustic aim. Most of the instruments which use a duplex scale have a very fundamental and mellow sound. They need the scale for the brilliance and brightness of sound. Therefore they use exactly calculated parts of the singing length of the string to reflect high frequency part tones to the singing length. (Some manufacturers use it because it is a duplex scale which everybody knows as a “Steinway feature” and I’m not sure they know what they do ;-) By the way: The first thing that worked like a duplex scale was developed by Helmholtz in Hanover / Germany.

Our scale is different in construction. As we use thicker strings, a short scale and high tension our tone is more bright and clear. A duplex scale in Grotrian pianos would cause part tones with a different harmonic in frequency so that it would sound a little bit distuned. The mixture scale with various different lengths causes various small reflections which are not recognizable as single tones. So it adds more an indifferent “noise” to the sound of clarity in the treble area which has a more colourful character and fits perfect to our philosophy of sound.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Roy123:
Originally posted by Del:
[b] [QUOTE] The harder the V-bar material the faster strings break.

Del
Del, I wonder if you'd care to elaborate on this point. Does this phenomenon exist simply because a softer material will almost always preferentially wear when in rubbing contact with a harder material? Is it possible that in wearing a groove in the pressure bar, the string effectively polishes the bar? Does the string, by wearing a groove, soften, or increase the radius of the contact area?

Also, I wonder if anyone has tried any of the sintered metals into which lubricants of various kinds can be imbedded. [/b]
I'm not enough of a metallurgist to adequately answer this. It is not appear, however, to be a matter of friction and “wear.”

It is primarily a problem through the upper sections where the hammer blow is relatively close to the string termination—usually a V-bar arrangement of some kind. When the material used for the string termination is as hard, or harder, than the material from which the string is made the string is actually damaged by the repeated blows of the hammer. I suspect the reason for this is that with gray iron—and, to a lesser extent, the various bronzes I mentioned—enough energy is absorbed into the capo tastro bar to take some of the work stress off of the string. But that is just my speculation. What I know for sure is that when the termination material is made hard and the radius is down below about 0.5 mm (assuming the same string diameters, tensions, deflection angles, etc.) treble strings start to break after about half the number of blows that it takes to start breaking their counterparts using a “standard” V-bar shape and material.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by piqué:
This piano does not have a tuned aliquot stringing scheme. (Therefore it must not have much sustain in the treble sections. Right?)
well, members of club grotrian, let's not all jump del at once. wink laugh

del, this piano has amazing sustain. sustain is one of it's most compelling and seductive characteristics.
It was a joke, piqué, a joke. I know the Grotrian has good sustain.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
i see i need to lighten up a bit here. i'll try. wink

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Axtremus said:
Any one tried to remove the muting felt from a Samick or Nordiska's tenor-section's back-scale to see if that would make them sound any more like either Bösie or Grotrian?
I play both a Grotrian and a Nordiska on a weekly basis (both new 7-footers). I can tell you that it would take more than removing some felt to make the Nordiska sound like a Grotrian. A whole LOT more! wink

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Grotriman:

Numerous other unsupported claims are stated in this discussion and I think we need to examine them one by one.

I am at work and can't take the time (been away on the weekend). But I think we can come up with experiments to verify and validate or prove wrong statements that are being made here. But I do regard a lot of what is being said as opinion and nothing more.

Let's figure out a more intelligent way to pursue this knowledge-quest. Eh?

Ahem.
It’s not all that difficult. The test setup I used when I was looking into this system was a simple monochord with a fixed V-bar and a movable bearing bar/tuning pin block. I could change both the string deflection angle and the duplex string length. I could also move the bridge (along with its rudimentary soundboard assembly) and hitchpin block to accommodate various string lengths, diameters and tensions and work with various backscale configurations.

Have fun....

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

Hey Pique .... ever heard of deadpan humor? laugh wink

Alas, it usually soars a few feet over my head too!

Del, I do think the Grotrian has unusual sustain in addition to a particular hollow-sounding tone (in a beautiful way). This is, of course, just a personal impression. Has sustain ever been quantified across brands and holding other things equal?

David F

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Hey Pique .... ever heard of deadpan humor? [Big Grin] [Wink]
ummm.... that's humor without the use of graemlins, right? smile

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Del - while you are perhaps the only one here who is equipped to run many of these experiments. You are not providing any data. I know that this is because you are going after what you are hearing.

But a test that is devoid of subjective interpretation includes a measurement technique that everybody can agree on and is independent of interpretation. Like a digitization of the decay envelope of the string with and without a tuned duplex on it so that we can measure the decay of the note. Or a measurement of the acoustic output of the front duplex of a Grotrian (with what I would call a pretty sharp bend up in the string) compared to another piano, using say an electromagnetic pickup similar to a guitar pickup.

These are the types of measurements people need to provide data from in order to make the sweeping generalizations they are making.

I know this has gotten off topic from "what does duplex mean" but I am just a little miffed by all the opinion people are passing off as fact.

So by the way - do you have any "hard" data? smile

Also I was fortunate enough to have several posts accumulate before I returned to read Del's comment about no treble sustain. It did get my heart racing though...

Regards,

Grotriman
I'm confused. (As usual.)

Are these duplex and duplex-like thingies activiated by vibrations bleeding from the same string, by vibrations via sound from other strings (different notes), by vibrations via sound from same string, or some combination(s) thereof?

Isn't the Bluthner fourth string activated by sound, presumably by fundamentals and perhaps to a lesser degree by partials?

I thought the Gotrian observation about string tension was interesting, as I'm under the impression that Estonia's string tension is a bit under average, and they have opted for the (allegedly) tunable flavor.

Gotrain is one of my all time favorite pianos, which goes to show that I like both extremes of this design "feature."

John, and my two sons play an Estonia 190 and a Samick upright.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission