2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
dougie Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I'm going to be traveling for about a year and will be moving everything in my apartment into onto of those "public storage" places that don't have climate control or anything.

Will the wide change in tempterature cause any harm to my piano? Thanks for any input!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Dougie, I see you are a new member, so probably haven't seen many of the "humidity level" threads that pop up quite often on this forum. Well, it doesn't really matter, I think this idea is a REALLY bad one. You don't say in which state you live, but that probably doesn't matter EITHER, the idea is still a dangerous one.
Humidity levels should stay roughly within 15 points either way of 40. You'll be swinging much more than that, plus if rain happens to leak into the storage unit and get baked by the midday sun, it'll be like a sauna in there. Temperature swings in homes is typically , what? 30 degrees or so MAX ? Vs possible 30 degree FAST drops with storms, and perhaps 90 or 100 degree longer term differences.
I'm not a tech and don't have any actual experiences with people doing this, but I bet there are some people here who do have horror stories about it.
You'd be better off storing it in a furniture warehouse, though the cost would be more and you'd still have to check about temp and humidity swings.
Perhaps you have a friend or a friend with a friend that would like to have a piano in their home for a year. Bad playing would be better than bad storing.
A church might be another possible place that could use it and would store it for you......second choice due to possible bad pounding, etc.
Check with your music store. They MIGHT store it for you for a reasonable fee.......certainly less than the $3500 I think you mentioned you paid for it.
There are people out there looking to rent pianos. You could match or undercut the local music store's rate and maybe MAKE some money on it. (not counting transportation off course). You might feel uneasy about leaving your piano with strangers, but you'd probably be better off with a couple of scratches than the freeze thaw torture test you'll have at the Storage Unit.
Then there's this joke:

A man walks into a bank and says he wants to borrow $200 for six
months. The loan officer asks him what kind of collateral he has.
The man says 'I've got a Rolls Royce -- keep it until the loan is
paid off -- here are the keys.'

Six months later the man comes into the bank, pays back the $200
loan, plus $10 interest, and regains possession of the Rolls
Royce.

The loan officer asks him, 'Sir, if I may ask, why would a man
who drives a Rolls Royce need to borrow two hundred dollars?'

The man answers, 'I had to go to Europe for six months, and where
else could I store a Rolls Royce for that long for ten dollars?'

Oh well, maybe if you had a Faziolli. laugh

Bob

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I completely agree with RKVS and think this is a REALLY bad idea and have seen the damage that can happen to much less fragile items in storage. If none of the options that were suggested are possible you may want to look into at least a climate controlled storage area. I've seen those through Uhaul and other vendors but have no idea how much more expensive they might be? No expert either just my .02

Cathy

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Dougie:

I agree with the above... do you have a friend who would let you move your piano to their apartment or house while you're away? Even if they don't do any more than stick it in the corner, it is much cheaper (including moving) and much better than putting it into one of those storage shed thingies.

You'll probably have to pay for a good tuning (and possibly a bit more) after you return, but figure you may be out ~$400 for a local move plus tech attention when you come back.

Nina

PS: Just thought of something else... HIRE someone to move your piano. They are heavy (duh) but more importantly, the uprights are top-heavy and have a tendency to fall over if not moved correctly; moving grands is a whole other experience because the legs must be disassembled. Even if you work out every day with your 10 friends who have volunteered to help you move it, it's a bad idea. Hire a pro.

C
C
BAD IDEA.

The ideal solution would be to lend the piano to someone who has a good space for it and will take good care of it.

Second-best is a piano storage company, where at least they have climate control.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
At the risk of getting beat up, I'll suggest the obvious:

Dampp-Chaser Climate Control System smile

Read about it here: www.dampp-chaser.com

-Jimbo

Jim Volk
PIANOVATION
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
*grin* Jumping on the Dampchaser...
Sure install one but come back every 5 days to refill it...hehehe

Following the good advice above, Find a friend, or make a friend quickly, who will store it and tune it every 6 months, in their living room, back bedroom.. Somewhere IN their house, not in their garage.
You still need to kep the piano at pitch, even if no one will play it for a year...

Manitou

Manitou - Pianist - Technician
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Of course, if it's a Brambach you're storing, you can ignore all of the above. laugh

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Sorry, but I have to ask a couple of reality-check questions here of those familiar with industry practice. I know that most of the large-volume manufacturers have distribution centers where pianos await delivery to local dealers. Are these distribution centers climate controlled to the same extent a house is? Do the packing method and materials used for shipping a piano protect a piano from variations in humidity and temperature during shipping and/or storage? If the answer to the first question is no, and the answer to the second is yes, would it not be possible to have the piano wrapped and crated as for shipping and then stored in a less than optimal environment for this length of time? confused

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
D
dougie Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Ugh, I knew I should have just gotten a good digital.

So even if it's wrapped up pretty good it's probably not worth risking it? Temperates aren't too extreme here in Portland.

Renting it doesn't seem like a bad idea, although I'm thinking it might be easier just to resell the darn thing. Anyone want to rent or buy a Kawai US-50? Lol

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission