Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#909604 - 06/28/03 09:34 PM Re: Upright vs Grand
shantinik Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
Well, the first contact was through Piano-Mart. And then lots of phonecalls and e-mails. And then my tech did his own investigating for techs, and contacted the President of the San Diego chapter, and asked him if he could use anyone for the job, regardless of price, who would he use? And he named the piano tech for the San Diego Symphony.

And then more negotiating with him. Seemed like he knew his stuff (I had my tech call him.) The piano owner was a professional who was going to Czech Republic to make a recording, and while there, she was buying a new 9' Petrof. Then I checked HER out, and the tale turned out to be true.

What else is there? Oh, we DIDN'T negotiate on price -- her price was a very, very fair one.

On size -- we thought we were going under 6' as well. But we had heard AAs in New York, and the size did seem to make a difference, so we spent time with the measuring tape. Threw out a couch, and moved a bunch of furniture. :p

#909605 - 06/28/03 10:28 PM Re: Upright vs Grand
winniefoster Offline

Ariel, so sorry! My parents bought me a new Yamaha U3 to replace the ancient Sohmer upright I had started learning on. I was in heaven! That piano got me well into my 20s, when I moved out, and my younger brother started taking lessons on it; my parents still have it and it is loved and enjoyed by the grandchildren. The point of my post was to suggest that Bela take his daughter's feelings into consideration. She may be becoming frustrated with the limitations of her upright, or she may actually adore it as much as I adored my Sohmer until it finally really gave out.

#909606 - 06/29/03 12:28 AM Re: Upright vs Grand
Jim Volk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Bela, let me play devil's advocate here. You said,
 Quote:
She is planning to be a piano major in 3 years. I am kind of pushing her[/b] towards her Masters.
Let's back up then, and ask the question: Have you also kind of pushed her towards a major in piano, or is this something she's independently committed to, heart and soul?

I agree with the wisdom of advancing expeditiously to an MA, but my reasoning is to look at the big picture: pursuing a career in piano will be a difficult road to travel. Look in the Sunday job classifieds, under "Professional." Not many firms are seeking professional pianists these days.

If you have 20K available to buy your daughter a grand, then do this: take her to 4 or 5 piano showrooms and let her try out as many grands in that price range as she can find.

Then let her choose, whether to buy or not, and which piano to buy. But make it perfectly clear that if you buy her the piano, she is in no way obligated to enter college as a piano major, and she'll have your support regardless of her decision. As Deborah asks, "At 15, did you know what you were going to study in college? "[/b]

-Jimbo

#909607 - 06/30/03 01:35 PM Re: Upright vs Grand
shantinik Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
Check out the forum on "Used Baldwins". Scotte found a 5'9" Baldwin R, in fine playing condition (checked out by his tech) for $4,500 asking (might go for less.) (And if Scotte ever needs to sell it, he's almost sure to get his $4,500 back - or more!) There are plenty of such pianos out there -- just have to look.

#909608 - 06/30/03 01:51 PM Re: Upright vs Grand
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
 Quote:
I had a friend in high school who was a fantastic pianist. He won every competition he entered (well, almost), played many recitals, and even performed Beethoven's 1st piano concerto with the community orchestra when he was in 10th grade. He was accepted into the music program of a major university and I believe he eventually earned his doctorate.

Guess what he had at home to practice on? An old Wurlitzer upright. I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I saw it, but sure enough that's what he practiced on.

Ryan
Thanks for that post Ryan. I find that reassuring. It seems daunting when I hear it said that you can never really develop until you play a really expensive piano. Regardless of what resources you have if the passion is there then you WILL develop. I don't doubt that it is easier to develop piano skills if you have an excellent piano to work with, but it always seemed to me to hint of snobbery to say one will not develop if they have an inferior instrument.

#909609 - 06/30/03 08:47 PM Re: Upright vs Grand
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Do music majors really take their grand pianos to school with them nowadays? I don't think so!

Will you get ~$5K worth of enjoyment and learning experience in the 4 years your daughter will be home before college? I wonder...

Nina

#909610 - 06/30/03 09:10 PM Re: Upright vs Grand
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Plainfield, IL
 Quote:
Originally posted by Vid:
...some stuff...[/b]
Vid!!!! How the heck have you been? Haven't seen you 'round these parts in eons! So glad to see you back! Tough luck that the "musical flat" didn't quite pan out. What have you been up to in the meanwhile?

#909611 - 07/01/03 01:50 PM Re: Upright vs Grand
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Hey Matt, its good to be back. I've been immersed in the study of computer science for the past 8 months and its only recently that I've had time to indulge in other pursuits such as reading these forums.

The musical house I was living in turned out to be a disaster so I'm on my own now and have bought a digital piano. It has been worth it because I can play it whenever I want and nobody can complain about it. I don't think it is hurting my technique that much because I can still play regular pianos fine.

#909612 - 07/01/03 02:04 PM Re: Upright vs Grand
ryan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Hi Vid! Good to hear from you. You caught my point exactly - desire and love for music outweigh the grand vs. upright issue. My friend wasn't the only person I knew who had less than stellar pianos to practice on. I didn't have great pianos (Baldwin spinet follows by an early 90's Wurlitzer baby grand followed by crappy college practice room pianos). I am back in music school and I practice on a vertical at home (albeit a high quality vertical \:\) ). This semester (my first) I was convinced that I had to upgrade to a grand immediately, but after spending a semester getting my fingers back under me and learning new techniques I finally decided that there wasn't any rush. My vertical is just fine, has a great touch and a pleasing tone. The piano that replaces it is going to have to be stellar. Anyway, I have found that technique and musicianship are technique and musicianship, regardless of the specific instrument you play. And a brand new grand piano cannot replace desire and love of music.

Ryan

#909613 - 07/02/03 08:02 PM Re: Upright vs Grand
KlavierBauer Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
Ryan, haven't seen you in awhile... how's it going?

KB

#909614 - 07/02/03 08:42 PM Re: Upright vs Grand
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Bela" I would say that if you can at all afford to buy her a grand piano.. preferably a higher end one, then it can make all the difference in the world. Most people don't realize how an inferior instrument restricts a developing musician. Now I am not saying run right out and buy her a Bechstein...but what I am saying is that perhaps you should... if it is within your budget of course.. start shopping for a good grand piano for her to come home to.

To answer your question directly... provided that the Yamaha you have now is in descent shape and is cared for properly is should last for 3 more years easily.

#909615 - 07/02/03 09:42 PM Re: Upright vs Grand
ryan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Hi KB,

I have been BUSY. A lot more busy than I expected to be.

Ryan

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
82 registered (angga888, Atrys, AndrewJCW, Art_Vandelay, AZNpiano, 22 invisible), 1167 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156242 Topics
2294621 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
07/29/14 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
07/29/14 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
07/28/14 11:43 PM
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
07/28/14 11:15 PM
Mixer
by doremi
07/28/14 10:48 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission