Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#915681 - 05/16/03 06:38 AM Pedagogy
David_J Offline

Loc: Australia
I'm curious is there any interesting music out there composed for the purpose of improving sight reading? It seems there's music written for other technical aspects, but I think my sight reading could do with a boost...

Any ideas?

Sheet Music (Piano World is an Affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale  
#915682 - 05/16/03 06:56 AM Re: Pedagogy
benedict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: European Union
I just bought a software to edit music to write workshops that will improve first sight reading and sight playing.

What I find is important is not only the music itself but the process that will allow usto read absolutely fluently so as to be able to open a song book by our favorite singer or folk music that make us feel in touch with our roots or open one of the masterpieces of classic music.
Or blues, or jazz.

What delight !

\:\)

#915683 - 05/16/03 07:28 AM Re: Pedagogy
Annihil8or Offline

Loc: England
Probably useless info, but Ravel's Prélude was composed for a sight-reading competition.

#915684 - 05/16/03 08:32 AM Re: Pedagogy
kawai9046 Offline

What's the name of the software you purchased?

#915685 - 05/16/03 08:56 AM Re: Pedagogy
benedict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Pizzicato

#915686 - 05/16/03 10:40 AM Re: Pedagogy
Linda in PA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA - USA
Hello, David_J:

My teacher suggested that I get a hymnal to use for sight reading practice (he specifically mentioned that Episcopal hymnals were good). I'm guessing that the value lies in that fact that the songs are written with multiple voices - and there are lots of songs in those hymnals, so you'll have a wealth of fresh material with which to work for a while. So, if the thought of playing hymns is not offensive to you from a belief standpoint, then a hymnal might be an inexpensive investment.

Good luck with you sight-reading efforts!

. . . Linda

#915687 - 05/16/03 08:54 PM Re: Pedagogy
BJenkins Offline

Loc: CA
 Quote:
My teacher suggested that I get a hymnal to use for sight reading practice
Yeah hymnal's do wonders. I learned on a hymnal \:\) but seriously I can sight read better then people that have played 10 years longer then me, (im 16 and have been playing for 2 \:D ). My techinique is horrible but thats just because I'm inexperienced but I can sight read just about anything (within reason of course). Really I've been playing for church for a year now and I can tell you it's amazing what a hymnal can do for your site reading abilities. Read through it a few times each day maybe 5 hymns a day, then just keep going through it until you've played everyone. Then go back and start over. I really can't emphasize enough how much it has helped my sight reading!

#915688 - 05/16/03 09:00 PM Re: Pedagogy
Linda in PA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA - USA
Hey, ThEmUsIcMaNBJ:

That's encouraging news. Glad to hear that the hymnal practice is working for you!

#915689 - 05/16/03 09:02 PM Re: Pedagogy
RachFan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine, U.S.
Annihil8or is correct on the Ravel "Prelude for Piano". But after you've sight read it, do study and learn it. The piece is short, not difficult, very charming, and characteristic of Ravel's idiom. You can't help but like it, guaranteed.

#915690 - 05/17/03 04:27 AM Re: Pedagogy
David_J Offline

Linda: I'm Catholic so hyms are no probs to me :p
Probably will scare the daylights out of my parents...

Interesting idea. I'll print off a few dozen and sight read a few daily. Thanks \:\)

Rachfan: I probably will learn something by Ravel soon (my repetoire is lacking anything serious post Chopin). But my to do list is too long! \:\(

#915691 - 05/17/03 09:03 AM Re: Pedagogy
benedict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Can anybody help me choose ?

http://www.google.fr/search?q=hymnal&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=fr&btnG=Recherche+Google&meta=

What about Bach's four voices chorals ?

#915692 - 05/17/03 10:42 PM Re: Pedagogy
David_J Offline

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/misc/download.htm?024626674922911645#scores

Just download them all and print them off... and sight read them through...

If it works I'll go to the store and buy every book of hyms they have \:\)

My parents will think I've gone mentally unstable, mind you :p

#915693 - 05/18/03 03:14 AM Re: Pedagogy
benedict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

What do you mean :"if it works".

Of course, it will work. With God on my side, how could I fail ? \:D

Can't you find Catholic hymnals ?

Anyway, there is only one God.

Though you must not say this to a Chinese or Indian or Japanese or Korean or...

They haven't heard yet.

The hymns seem basic enough musically to be a good introduction to polyphonic sightreading.

Let's go to work.

And do not pay any attention to my weird irrespectful sense of humor. Religion is too serious (too ofter deadly) a subject not too be handled with humour.

#915694 - 05/18/03 09:27 AM Re: Pedagogy
okat47 Offline

Loc: Canada
The Bach Chorales are also really good for sightreading. For added difficulty, you can also try transposing them into different keys. This is hard but also really fun.

#915695 - 05/18/03 11:07 AM Re: Pedagogy
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by benedict:
Anyway, there is only one God.

Though you must not say this to a Chinese or Indian or Japanese or Korean or...

They haven't heard yet.
[/b]
I am an ethnic Chinese and I am a Christian. So are around 18% of the population in my neck of the woods. This 18% consists of mainly ethnic Chinese with quite a few Indians and other races thrown in. The Christian church also has a significant presence in South Korea.

Apologies for being OT, but this needed correction.

Now, getting back to the topic, contrapuntal music (e.g. Bach's WTC) is great for sight-reading; both hands are trained to be independent. 20th Century music is also good for sight-reading since there are usually many surprises. Schoenberg is interesting... ;\)

#915696 - 05/19/03 04:33 AM Re: Pedagogy
benedict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

okat 47
 Quote:
The Bach Chorales are also really good for sightreading. For added difficulty, you can also try transposing them into different keys. This is hard but also really fun.
I find reading the bass, alto and soprano voices easy. But the tenor voice is extremely difficult for me to sightready.
How do you manage to do it ?

Roxane,
 Quote:
So are around 18% of the population in my neck of the woods. This 18% consists of mainly ethnic Chinese with quite a few Indians and other races thrown in. The Christian church also has a significant presence in South Korea.

Sorry, sorry. I of course meant the Chinese,Koreans and Japanese who were not Christians

I once had a Japanese protestant friend. He was a very gentle person. Whenever we went to the restaurant near the painting academy of "La grande chaumiere", I ordered first and he always said : "Meme chose" (same thing).

What has it got to do with sightreading or hymns ?
I wish I knew. \:D

I do not understand what "my neck in the woods" mean ? I like the sound of it though.

#915697 - 05/19/03 09:26 AM Re: Pedagogy
okat47 Offline

Loc: Canada
Benedict,
Are you talking about chorales written on four separate staves? My book of chorales is in condensed score so it's all in treble and bass clef.
If you're talking about reading in open score with the tenor in the tenor clef, well I have trouble with that too. I think the key is to become as fluent in the "wierd" clefs as you are in the normal ones. I'm pretty good with tenor and alto, but soprano is still a challenge. While situations where you would actually use these clefs are pretty rare, it would seem to benefit sight-reading skills. Plus, it's kind of impressive to be able to sight-read independent musical lines in four different clefs.

#915698 - 05/19/03 10:30 AM Re: Pedagogy
Ariel Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: NE
Salut, benedict!

I have been trying to "find" you on this site, and it looks like you may return to this thread.

I guess I will ask you here about bPhlat as I would rather he not see any more speculations he may not understand (and feel compelled to reply to) in "the thread". The same goes for Larry even more.

I arrived at the tail end of the Steinway thing (and in fact, you may recall, it was I who posted the triple posting about "ignore Peter...etc"). I never did know exactly what he "did" before (except what I can see in the archives), as I gather he deleted many threads.

My understanding is that he threatened to sic a Trojan Horse on somebody, not that he asked for help in the Coffee Room (as you said in your post today to Bb). Could you please elaborate?

I am far from convinced Bb is[/b] Steinway.

I think it is[/b] probable that he was considerably less serious about the level of his worry, than he presented it to us - that he was, actually, tossing it out kind of conversationally as a way to "start a discussion" (which, in fact, he might[/b] have found reassuring). If he had been that worried, with such "great" parents, I am sure he would have just asked them to excuse him from eating meat, that he wanted to become a vegetarian or something. Happens all the time to parents of teenagers! (Maybe not to children of Larry and JohnMoonlight.)

But I don't[/b] think he made it up out of thin air, nor that he is the "other entity". His reactions, disclaimers, and writing style have quite a different personality to me than the "entity" - which you will see yourself, I think, if you read his other recent postings. Especially in the threads he has started (yes, there are[/b] quite a lot of them - kind of a new toy, I think)...

I am also concerned that Larry is bullying him very badly, and that this can[/b] cause him emotional damage. Obviously anything I say about this, wil just attract more flak, so I won't.

My attitude is an Internet variation on "innocent until proven guilty" . Of course we can't really prove anything without computer tracing and that is impossible. Barring that, it would take more of a psychological fingerprint to convince me enough to risk putting a possibly innocent kid through this kind of harrassment and "stalking", as he put it to Larry in his other threads.

I say this fully cognizant of your having suffered considerable trauma before, which is not the case with me. It must have been awful to reach within yourelf trying so hard to help, only to find you had "had your heartstrings pulled" by a sham. I can imagine you were the last to stop trusting...

I do appreciate very much your kind advice to me and your equally kind words about me. I know you think many times over when you post, because you are aware of how fragile the human heart is, and how easily bruised.

I am sure you are a fan of le Petit Prince[/b].

I actually do[/b] have a question for you in this thread - about the software you referred to, "Pizzicato".

Is this exclusively to work on sight-reading and is it the kind which works with a midi-connection? We have for some time been seeking such software, to go with my son's electronic piano since his sight-reading skills are poor, owing to his having spent most of his piano study years under a "Suzuki" teacher who was particularly weak in teaching the fundamentals.

And have you tried it out yet? Does it work well? I am not quite clear about the other things you said it does (?). By the way, what is the name of the manufacturer (it may be necessary to know if it is to be ordered here). And - lastly - is it in French or Italian?

I will look for your reply in this thread - and I apologize to the thread originator for borrowing space here to use as a bulletin board! I wish there were such anoption at this web-site - I think in some places, you can send individual members private messages (and also to screen offensive posters out, so their messages don't display on your screen!).

Best,

Ariel

P.S. "In this neck of the woods" means "in this neighborhood" or around here. It has a "local" feel to it.

#915699 - 05/19/03 10:46 AM Re: Pedagogy
benedict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ok47,

No, I mean Bach's choral in two staves.

There is no finger indication on my book.

If there were finger indications, I suppose I could manage.

But the tenor voice is distributed between both hands (unless you can play tenth, of course) and reading and finding out which finger to use is very difficult for me.

How do you manage ?

With the two top voices and the bass voice, I find it easy and beautiful, but less satisfying because I am not playing what Bach wrote.

#915700 - 05/19/03 10:50 AM Re: Pedagogy
Ariel Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: NE
David J,

As I wrote above in my message to Benedict - I apologize for borrowing space in your thread for what is partly a wholly unrelated topic!

#915701 - 05/19/03 10:50 AM Re: Pedagogy
benedict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Roxane,

If your neck of the wood is in the USA, I did not mean Chinese-Americans but Chinese-Chinese which would include a very tiny minority of Christians.

#915702 - 05/19/03 11:23 AM Re: Pedagogy
benedict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ariel,

As for Pizzicato, it is a general software to edit music, compose etc. It is not meant to teach sightreading but I use it as a tool to create sightreading workshops for my friend and maybe (later) for people who want to master the art of sightreading. Pizzicato is in Frenc but will be translated at the end of the year into English.

You can have an introduction here :
http://www.arpegemusique.com/

If you have jewish choir music, it would work well for your son if it is four voices on two staves.

You can read what I have written on sight-reading skills to see the "rythmic" approach.

#915703 - 05/19/03 11:35 AM Re: Pedagogy
Richard Martin Offline

Loc: Durham, UK
Benedict,

Have a look through the chorale before you play. Bach usually keeps the gaps between Sop/Alto, Alto/Tenor within an octave to avoid the thin lack of homogeneity otherwise obtained.

The Tenor/Bass gap is different however and Bach exploits the wonderful effect of a big gap here for the texture and sonority as well as the added beauty of a trouser tighteningly high Tenor line. On these occasions you may need to play SAT with RH and B with LH.

In fact, some old hymnals were written with SAT in treble and B in bass. See Vaughan-Williams' fine "Sine nomine" tune to "For all the Saints" - not strictly a 4-part harmonisation, but you can see the effective chord + low bass structure.

Sometimes the gaps are still too big in Bach - low Bass and SAT that do not sit well with RH. Where Tenor/Bass exceeds the octave you can cheat by playing the Bass an octave up.

I agree, hymnals are good for sight-reading practise. Balance the learning of chords with contrapuntal music as well for a broad range of progression. Again, I prefer to look to Bach...!

Richard

#915704 - 05/19/03 11:46 AM Re: Pedagogy
Richard Martin Offline

PS

The Bach (and any 4-part harmony in the traditional style) will sound odd with only 3 of the 4 voices played. Every now and then the voice you miss will be the 3rd of the chord and since the 3rd should rarely be doubled in a chord the resultant will be a bare 5th i.e. clangy, bare-sounding, nebulous (neither major nor minor), medievel effect!

One aspect of Bach's chorale-style was that he always aimed for full sonority of chord. E.g you can have an acceptable chord of C-major with C, C, E. Bach would strive to include the G and often breaks the traditional "leading note always goes to tonic" rule in order to include the 5th. See numerous examples of the alto line e.g. in G major, falling from F-sharp to D in a perfect cadence to fill in the 5th instead of rising to the G.
Cheers,

RM

#915705 - 05/20/03 03:47 AM Re: Pedagogy
benedict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Richard Miller,

Thanks ever so much for this precious information.

Do you by any chance know if I could find an edition of Bach's chorals with fingering.

I started work this morning and sang one choral :
Aus tiefer Noth shrei ich zu dir "Lyrics" by Martin Luther.

You were right, the harmony is beautiful.

It is the best introduction to harmony I have ever seen.

But I would feel much better with fingerings !

#915706 - 05/20/03 04:44 AM Re: Pedagogy
Richard Martin Offline

Benedict,

Miller?

I will have a think about fingered chorales. I do have one but it is arranged for organ (i.e. 3 staves, Bass line played on pedals). They are paradoxically easier to sight read at the organ since the feet take care of the Bass and RH, LH manage more easily with SAT!

However, I guess you are getting your fingers in a twist trying to play these things entirely legato. At the piano you can cheat by pedalling each beat and simply playing and releasing each chord as a block. At the organ, current practise dictates a detache touch anyhow to give some sense of rhythmic structure and articulation. A string player changes bow direction, woodwing tongue the notes, singers have consonants; faultless legato at the organ can be monotonous and dull.

This is easily illustrated with chorales starting with an upbeat. You can't hit the note harder for an accent on the organ so you must accent otherwise and this is mainly achieved with an agogic accent. A short, detached upbeat followed by a first beat of the next bar held for its full value sets the rhythmic structure up well. Conversely, a long upbeat slurred to the first beat of the next bar gives a false accent to the upbeat. Your fellow countryman Marcel Dupre recorded and played lots of Bach at a time when organists strove for total legato. His playing and compositions were and are sensational but his Bach is now a bit odd-sounding.

What I'm saying is that, at first, go easy on yourself and bounce of the chords using the pedal to connect. Then you can get more pianistic by experimenting with a legato Soprano line etc., taking care of repeated noted in Alto and Tenor! A beautiful, clear, singing, legato touch at the piano is a fantastic if tricky technique, so go easy on yourself at first. The point here was about sightreading not technique, if I remember correctly!
Good luck,

Richard

#915707 - 05/20/03 05:50 AM Re: Pedagogy
benedict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Richard MARTIN \:D

Sorry !

Thank you for this detailed lesson on the art of playing the chorals.

I have two books of Chorals for piano :

371 VierStimmige Choräle
published by De haske

Choral-Gesänge
published by Breitkopf (3765)

The Breitkopf is in more common keys than the De Haske.

I thought you were not supposed to use pedals for Bach.

I just received arrangements by Richard Jordan of Luthers hymns.

I do not understand how you play on the piano. There are three staves : Great, swell and bass.

I will end up playing in the local church ! \:D

#915708 - 05/20/03 06:47 AM Re: Pedagogy
Richard Martin Offline

OK I think I have confused you.
There's no such thing as a standard organ, however, a standard organ (!) might consist of 3 divisions:

Great:
- lower keyboard (manual)
- principal organ sounds
- no dynamics other than adding/taking away stops
- French equivalent approximately "Grand Orgue"

Swell
- upper keyboard (manual)
- softer sounds, solo sounds, colourful sounds
- all pipes in a box with shutters that can open/close to give dynamic expression
- French equivalent approximately "Recit"

Pedal
- keyboard played with feet
- highest physical key usually F above middle C
- usually for playing bass lines
- French "Pedale"

All organs are unique and will have exceptions to this. There are huge differences across nationalities and musical periods, but it's an adequate example.

Organ music is generally written on 3 staves i.e. 3 sets of the five lines as opposed to the 2 normally used for RH (treble clef) and LH (bass clef) in piano music. As you would expect, the top 2 staves are RH and LH as the piano, and the bottom one is for pedal and is written in bass clef. Have a look at some Bach organ music on the sheet music archive.

Typically, Bach pushed the boundaries of pedal playing and uses the pedals as an independent voice for a bass line, a chorale cantus firmus, a voice of a fugue.

Let's not confuse the organ pedal-board with the sustaining pedal (senza sordini) on the piano.
You are quite right - the sustain pedal is generally to be avoided in Bach due to the contrapuntal nature of his music requiring clarity and independence of line. Also Bach didn't write for instruments with this capability.

However, the chorales were for choir and organ or chamber group or whatever. For pedagogical purposes, pedalling the chorales can be forgiven and will help your sight-reading in terms of playing the right notes at the right time. A legato technique in these pieces at the piano is, as I said, tricky but nevertheless desirable. I would learn this seperate from sight-reading.

Good luck.
Sorry these posts are long.
Any more questions - I'm happy to help if I can.

Richard

#915709 - 05/20/03 07:10 AM Re: Pedagogy
benedict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Richard,

Thank you so much for explaining all these things I didn't understand.

At Musicora, the exhibition of music in Paris, I saw a young man play on a big numeric organ. It was amazing to see his feet jumping and this music that sounded so rich.

From our conversation, I am not sure Bach's chorals are a good choice for training sightreading.

I find his keyboard music more rewarding.

When I have practiced my Pischna, scales and Chopin's Etude in C major (sightplaying of course), then I sightplay WTC1 and go further every time.

This is an incredible workshop.

I would like to find the chorals for piano with fingerings though. I find playing Luther's hymns is quite an experience for me.

Nothing could be further to my upbringing.
I find them restful and deep.

#915710 - 05/20/03 07:31 AM Re: Pedagogy
Richard Martin Offline

Benedict,

It's a pleasure to be able to help.

I do think the chorales will help your sight reading immensely. A standard hymnal would be easier to start with, however.

From a purely musical point of view, I agree. These chorales are a vast wealth of beatiful harmony. I am amazed at how often I visit them. There is one particular short chord progression that Bach often uses to harmonize a descending scale. It was pointed out to me by a harmony teacher and is truly sublime. I will try send you it, with fingering! Do you have MS Word?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
10/24/14 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Böhm
by Johan B
10/24/14 03:40 PM
Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD?
by login
10/24/14 03:18 PM
Recording the results of Pianoteq
by Roger Ransom
10/24/14 01:35 PM
Coolest Back Action I have Seen
by Steve Jackson
10/24/14 11:55 AM
Who's Online
141 registered (A Guy, anotherscott, ARamadan, accordeur, Alexander Borro, ajames, 36 invisible), 1553 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76643 Members
42 Forums
158474 Topics
2327318 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission