Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#915799 - 05/16/03 11:27 AM Most Difficult Piano PIece?
LauraJ Offline

Loc: Midwest
Ok, here's a test. One of my students asked me what is the most difficult piece of piano music in the world? As if one advances piece by piece in difficulty until you reach the pinnacle: The Most Difficult Piece. I explained it wasn't quite like that - however, I'm intrigued. A couple pieces come to mind, but what do you think? Which piece is the winner? And who has performed it?

Sheet Music (Piano World is an Affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale  
#915800 - 05/16/03 11:31 AM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
Mathilde Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois, USA
Honey, the most difficult piece in the world is always[/b] "the new one".

\:D

"Oh, I'll NEVER learn to play this..."

#915801 - 05/16/03 12:21 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
valarking Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas
Some people say Gaspard Le Nuit is very hard.
Ligeti's stuff is VERY difficult.

#915802 - 05/16/03 01:20 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I usually cast my vote for the first Rachmaninoff sonata (blows the third concerto away), the 2nd Boulez sonata, the Barraque sonata (similar to the Boulez), or the 2nd Bartok concerto.

There's a lot of "unplayable" repertoire out there...especially 20th century stuff. I'd say the most difficult work you regularly hear in concert are probably Ravel's Gaspard and the 3rd Rachmaninoff concerto - those two tend to be the most often played at the music schools and conservatories I've attended.

(Of course, there are those who will argue that the students playing those works couldn't put two phrases of Mozart together in a convincing way, but that's another story...)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#915803 - 05/16/03 01:46 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
Orlando Gibbons Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I'll go with an oldie - comparatively speaking - Feux Follets. Especially in the 2nd version of the transcendental etudes. Rachmaninoff thought this to be the most difficult piece, too.

#915804 - 05/16/03 02:01 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
shantinik Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
Cage's 4:33. (At least for my daughter -- she could NEVER manage it. ;\) )

#915805 - 05/16/03 02:37 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
mkesfahani Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
How about Islamey by Balakirev?

Mike

#915806 - 05/16/03 02:47 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
LauraJ Offline

Loc: Midwest
OK, keep 'em coming. I'm going to take a vote and present her with the answer next week. It'd be nice to have a recording, but we'll see what's possible.

#915807 - 05/16/03 03:26 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
valarking Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mkesfahani:
How about Islamey by Balakirev?

Mike[/b]
Used to be til all those contemporary composers came and made stuff hard for the sake of being hard.

#915808 - 05/16/03 03:48 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
nickyg Offline

Loc: Essex
Horowitzs Carmen Variations are certainly pretty tricky, while maybe not the most difficult ever it is certainly the most flashy and show-offy.

#915809 - 05/16/03 03:49 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
nickyg Offline

Loc: Essex
Maybe not 'certainly' but I know what I mean.

#915810 - 05/16/03 03:50 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
Renauda Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Works by Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji (1892 - 1988) are diabolically difficult- a lot of it has never been recorded or even played before in recital. In particular Opus Clavicembalisticum all 250 pages of it over three staves(= approx. 4.5 hours). For more info go to:

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~jwapnick/sorabji/

Another 20th Century destroyer: Villa-Lobos', Rude Poem (Savage Poem), dedicated to Artur Rubenstein. Not sure whether Rubenstein himself ever recorded it or even played it. The composer apparently couldn't manage it- but then again he was not a pianist. Marc-Andre Hamelin has recorded it on Hyperion as has Volker Banfield on the Wergo label. Have a listen; your student will be suitably impressed! ;\)

#915811 - 05/16/03 04:39 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Generally:

Liszt's B minor Sonata
Liszt's etudes
Beethoven's 5th
The Brahms concerti
The Busoni Concerto
Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini"

When I say "generally" I mean the more common pieces on the repertoire- still not very familiar with the more "modern" music.

#915812 - 05/16/03 04:50 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
Jason_dup2 Offline

Loc: Maryland
That is easy to answer, the most difficult piece is the one that is being learned at the moment. It can be any piece but while it is being learned it is the most difficult piece AT THAT TIME. Difficulty in particular pieces is relatve to each individulal person.

#915813 - 05/16/03 04:53 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
Marquis de Posa Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Originally posted by BeePhlatMinor:
Generally:

Liszt's B minor Sonata
Liszt's etudes
Beethoven's 5th
The Brahms concerti
The Busoni Concerto
Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini"

When I say "generally" I mean the more common pieces on the repertoire- still not very familiar with the more "modern" music.[/b]
Beethoven's 5th concerto is NOT one of the most difficult pieces out there. His fourth concerto definitely exceeds his fifth in terms of difficulty, and there are many piano sonatas of his that are more difficult (e. g. Hammerklavier, Opus 101, Opus 7, Opus 111, etc.) In fact, one of my teachers had said this concerto was not that much higher than Beethoven's first concerto and the Grieg in terms of difficulty. This should come as good news for you, considering you wanted to learn this concerto.

So anyway, in my opinion, the most difficult solo piece is Alkan's Concerto for Solo Piano and the most difficult concerto is Busoni's Opus 39 Concerto.

#915814 - 05/16/03 05:00 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

The purpose of good music is not to be technically difficult or to impress with virtuosity, that is just a factor of music. For this reason, it is hard to say which is the most difficult piece. Of course, the pieces listed so far are difficult, but it is a different matter for every pianist.

#915815 - 05/16/03 05:02 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
mrenaud Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I'd throw in a vote for the Prokofiev concerto no. 2.

#915816 - 05/16/03 05:04 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
Renauda Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Posa:
[QUOTE]So anyway, in my opinion, the most difficult solo piece is Alkan's Concerto for Solo Piano....[/b]
I have also heard or read that from somewhere. I am not at all familiar with that work but what recordings I do have of Alkan's music I would not be surprised. I also recall reading somewhere that Liszt himself would remain silent, or appear uncomfortable, when Alkan's name was mentioned with respect to performance ability. Have you heard the same?

#915817 - 05/16/03 05:31 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
valarking Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Renauda:
Works by Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji (1892 - 1988) are diabolically difficult- a lot of it has never been recorded or even played before in recital. In particular Opus Clavicembalisticum all 250 pages of it over three staves(= approx. 4.5 hours). For more info go to:

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~jwapnick/sorabji/

Another 20th Century destroyer: Villa-Lobos', Rude Poem (Savage Poem), dedicated to Artur Rubenstein. Not sure whether Rubenstein himself ever recorded it or even played it. The composer apparently couldn't manage it- but then again he was not a pianist. Marc-Andre Hamelin has recorded it on Hyperion as has Volker Banfield on the Wergo label. Have a listen; your student will be suitably impressed! ;\) [/b]
You have to ask yourself, why did any of them either bother composing it at all?

#915818 - 05/16/03 05:57 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
SoftwareResearch Offline

Loc: Germany
I'd say the most difficult piece is "Fr Elise" - I've never heard any other piece played wrongly so frequently \:D

#915819 - 05/16/03 05:59 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Valarking, they composed it to advance music and the technique of the piano, not to satisfiy mediocre pianists who cannot play them. It has been like this for a long time, Beethoven's sonatas were obviously too difficut for the bulk of performers during his time, as well as ours. If no one bothers to compose transcendental music, we will always be playing the samething, which is very musically boring. (Try composing a sonata in the style of Mozart for any reason besides learning, you will see that new styles are a must for modern composers, and with those styles come new techniques.)

#915820 - 05/16/03 06:45 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
Mr. Gould Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have realized that whenever this Topic is presented no one really comes up with a definitive answer! So come on guys, lets all agree on one piece. I have no idea what it is, and even if I did say something the more advanced pianists would disagree.

#915821 - 05/16/03 06:47 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
Renauda Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valarking:
[QUOTE]You have to ask yourself, why did any of them either bother composing it at all?[/b]
True enough, but as Crash has pointed out it was not to satisfy mediocre pianists. I suspect that in Villa-Lobos' case, he did not know how difficult the piece was being that he could could barely manage the instrument. Also he had a recognized virtuouso in mind when he wrote it. Have you heard it? It is perhaps the most violent piece of music, other than perhaps Galina Ustvolskaya's 6th sonata, I have ever heard for piano. Its really worth a listen if you can get a copy of either of those discs (the Hamelin disc is quite common) that I mentioned.

As for Sorabji, he was on a different planet or dimensional universe. He intentionally wrote difficult music so that mediocrities, or what he considered to be mediocrities, could not play it. Very interesting person to say the least. Over the years his music has grown on me and I enjoy it very much.

You may be surprised but another set of fiendishly difficult pieces of music are Shostakovich's 24 Preludes and Fugues. Although I would not necessarily rate them as being in "the most difficult" category they are not for the weak of technique and demand a very highly developed sense of pianism and musicality in order to be comprehensible. Their difficulty, like all great music, lies in their subletly and simplicity of form.

#915822 - 05/16/03 07:02 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
Ted2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
I find the piano music of Charles Ives very difficult. At least I know I CAN play things like Chopin Studies, Mazeppa, Islamey (if I ever finish relearning it!), admittedly not to concert standard - perhaps they need dexterity but at least they're all in homogeneous, conventional patterns. Ives wrote for the sound and not at all for the sake of difficulty, but for this very reason, and because his music is so personal, it's still beyond me to grasp it. I love listening to it, but playing it - I still haven't caught the bus.

In trotting out the same conventional but physically taxing pieces of the romantic repertoire as the most difficult we tend to forget that certain areas of piano music are so special they need, in the long run, much more effort than it takes to learn a Liszt study. At the moment I am memorising Waller's "Gladyse". To me it's a joy because I've played many things like that for many years. But to somebody trained solely in classical music I imagine the rhythmic problems would be formidable.

In short, difficulty concerns many things aside from physical dexterity.

#915823 - 05/16/03 09:05 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
iamcanadian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
My vote goes for the left hand godowsky etudes.
Especially the one based on op 25 no 2. Eighth note triplets in the right hand and Quarter note triplets in the left.

#915824 - 05/16/03 09:30 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
 Quote:
It is perhaps the most violent piece of music
Anyone have an mp3 or midi link? I want to hear this. The word "violent" makes me think of Ginastera.

I'm a Philistine. Are we talking about the guitar guy Villa-Lobos?

#915825 - 05/16/03 09:54 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
lemoncoke Offline

Loc: hongkong
 Quote:
Originally posted by Classical Player:
I have realized that whenever this Topic is presented no one really comes up with a definitive answer! So come on guys, lets all agree on one piece. I have no idea what it is, and even if I did say something the more advanced pianists would disagree. [/b]
Let's do in 2 stage,

Stage 1

nominate some difficult pieces in a week.(may be limit to 10 pieces).

Stage 2

start a new thread for voting.

agree??

#915826 - 05/16/03 10:02 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
Renauda Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gryphon:
[QUOTE] Anyone have an mp3 or midi link? I want to hear this. The word "violent" makes me think of Ginastera...I'm a Philistine. Are we talking about the guitar guy Villa-Lobos?[/b]
The one and the same guy! And Ginastera is a lot like Villa -Lobos; how's that for reframing a question? As for an mp3 link I can't help- I'm barley past word processing. \:D

#915827 - 05/16/03 10:33 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
virtuoso_735 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
My nominations:
Sonata in Bminor, La Campanella
Gaspard de la nuit-scarbo Ravel
Rachmaninoff Concerto 3
Beethoven Hammerklavier
Godowsky Studies on Chopin Etudes

#915828 - 05/16/03 11:13 PM Re: Most Difficult Piano PIece?
StanSteel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Solo pieces:

Godowsky: Sonata in E minor (Technically about the level of the Rach. concertos. Musically extremely difficult, due to the diversity of material)

Godowsky: Prelude and Fugue (on the B.A.C.H. theme) for the left hand only (Hamelin says it is technically more difficult than the Godowsky sonata) That oughta score pretty high \:\)

Scriabin: Sonata No7 (following the score faithfully, and playing this piece musically)

oh and how bout the Schumann Toccata (you need octopuses instead of hands to play that @#$%) \:\)

For concertos I vote for

Prokofiev 2 (that 4th movement, man! can you believe it is possible to play that at tempo?)

Of course there will always be harder pieces, but it's always fun to name difficult pieces that impress us. It gives us something to think about. A goal to aim for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
82 registered (anotherscott, Baudelaire, 36251, Al LaPorte, AndrewJCW, barbaram, 22 invisible), 1468 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156300 Topics
2295483 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
4 minutes 23 seconds ago
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
Today at 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
Today at 01:10 AM
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission