Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#915977 - 03/01/03 06:57 PM Re: Getting the kids to practice
BeeLady Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
 Quote:
Originally posted by Palindrome:
You might (if it doesn't bother the refinisher) take them by the refinisher's shop, so they can see "their piano" progress.[/b]

Great minds think alike! This is just what we are doing in a few weeks to check out the place before we send ours out. Should be fun!

Now I am being "forced" take the 8 year old to cello lessons starting Monday! (Yeah!! \:\) ) See, all that fussing about practicing was just an act. He really does want to play, just not the piano..
;\)

I may just print this entire thread with all these terrific ideas. What a great generation of musicians we should have in just a few years!

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

Sheet Music (Piano World is an Affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale  
#915978 - 03/01/03 11:57 PM Re: Getting the kids to practice
ejks Offline

Loc: Land of Lincoln
So many good responses and input here. \:\) I just enjoyed reading it so much I have begun passing on some of the ideas to some of my piano student's parents. I just wanted to share one little thing that may not work nowadays but it worked for my mom. Once we decided that I take lessons we made a deal that I had to practice while she did the supper dishes. Part of the agreement was that if I didn't keep up my end of the bargain she said I would have to quit lessons and do the dishes every night. Well wouldn't you know it? That kept me going. \:\) I eventually earned a B.Mus in piano performance and a Master's in composition. Music has been my life and I can't imagine how things would have gone had she not "bribed" me. This probably wouldn't work for most but I can look back and honestly say I was thankful for her "encouragement".
ej

#915979 - 03/02/03 09:29 AM Re: Getting the kids to practice
Gardener Offline

Loc: New Jersey
 Quote:
Originally posted by ob1knabe:

Gardener--beautifully written.
[/b]
Thank you. Great thread! \:\)

#915980 - 03/04/03 12:26 PM Re: Getting the kids to practice
ob1knabe Offline

I just wanted to thank everyone for their ideas. I know that I will certainly benefit from many of your suggestions. (And, yes, we've already made a few visits to the piano refinishers--so much fun!!!)

Magnezium--I think you sum it up great:

"It'll probably last long enough to get them addicted, but after that the discovery of true music takes place and then an altogether different kind of magic comes into play...do I make sense?"

Yes, you make sense! In fact, I believe that type of magic is even better than the kind you find a Disney World. \:\)

#915981 - 03/04/03 04:08 PM Re: Getting the kids to practice
bcarey Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
T2,

I absolutely loved your post about your 2 year old twins! Perhaps, you have the real secret to initiating an early interest in music.

That reminded me of my 4 year old granddaughter who just might be the singer in the family. At Christmas, she was shopping at Walmart with her mom who sings songs to her all the time. All of a sudden she broke out with a very enthusiastic rendition of "Joy to the World" in perfect pitch (of course) while strolling down the isles with her mom. According to her mom, everyone in the store stopped dead in their tracks, listened and smiled as she sang every word to the first verse. I wish I had been there!

We are now teaching her to sing:

Joy to the World, all the boys and girls now.
Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea.
Joy to you and me.

Gotta give these Walmart folks an encore! \:\)

#915982 - 03/06/03 04:08 PM Re: Getting the kids to practice
bboy1 Offline

Loc: Illinois
I have a son (10) and daughter (8). However it was my wife and I that were interested in piano lessons. I took lessons for a short period of time when I was around 10 and then quit.

I decided I wanted to try it again, and my wife was interested too. We bought a piano and here's the amazing part, and the part where it gets on topic.

My kids were completely amazed with the look of a grand piano. My wife and I decided to get a player with the piano. Once my kids heard some songs they liked on the player and saw the keys moving and the hammers hitting the strings, they were hooked. Today (2 years later) they still put on songs they like and watch/listen. My son is learning "The Entertainer" and is constantly playing it on the player and then trying to duplicate it.

So I guess my first recommendation is that if you have access to a player, find some songs the kids like and let them listen and watch the piano.

The second and more practical way is to take lessons with them (I believe this was mentioned above). Luckily I'm a little more advanced than my son. He is constantly striving to "catch up" with me.

As for my daughter. She will do anything my son does and try her hardest to do it better.

Both children will be better than me before to long \:\)

Brian

#915983 - 03/06/03 08:50 PM Re: Getting the kids to practice
Piano Novice Need Help Offline

Loc: Utah
Well i'm not a parent (i'm 16) so my thoughts probably aren't much use but here i go anyway.
I used to think piano was a chore too but then i got a friend who is way into it, and way good at it. He used to practice 5 hours a day during his rapid period of inspiration and improvement. His skills made me want to have the same, and being that he is my peer and my best friend it made it cool i guess. There's kind of the idea, if you don't think it's cool that it's just the way it is to hate piano, so i guess do whatever you can to make it seem cool and ok to think piano is cool. It really depends on your relationship with you children and the way you raise them i think, because it seem that some kids have a more natural enjoyment of the piano that much later, or never sets into other pianists.

#915984 - 03/07/03 11:46 AM Re: Getting the kids to practice
ob1knabe Offline

Thanks for your input, PianoNovice! Glad to hear from you. In reading over my original post, I do make it sound like I am only looking for ideas from parents and teachers. Don't mean to do this. I think it would be great to hear from any of "the younger set" to learn directly what works. I know that there are already a couple other messages from posters similar in age to you. No doubt you all have a lot to offer here. Hopefully, we'll hear from you. ;\)

Ob1

#915985 - 03/07/03 12:01 PM Re: Getting the kids to practice
BeeLady Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
PianoNovice has a good point. Peer pressure drives much of what kids do.

My son first asked for lessons when his best friend sat down and played Star Wars on our piano. Now, 4 years later, he had a 13th birthday party last month. Some of the girls (he invited them ! )sat down and played. They then all came to the piano and took turns playing. But when the boys did the same, let me tell you, those girls were impressed! I think that should motivate him for another 2 years at least! ;\)

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
68 registered (aesop, Al LaPorte, barmassimo, beeboss, 20 invisible), 1203 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295913 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano technician cost list
by ascc
Today at 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
Today at 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
Today at 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:17 AM
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission