Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#916002 - 06/07/03 09:00 PM Late starting Concert Pianists?
cool_breeze Offline

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Anyone know of any concert pianists who started their piano studies late in life. When I say late I am saying in their 20's. All of the Concert Pianists I have seen or heard of started very early. Before the age of 10 years old. I am a late starter and have no real desire to be a concert pianist--the amount of practice required seems incredible--but just wondered if anybody has risen to the ranks of concert pianist after a late start. Or does anyone think it is possible. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Sheet Music (Piano World is an Affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale  
#916003 - 06/07/03 09:14 PM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Hans Richter-Haaser, a German active in the 60s/70s, comes to mind, but I may be mistaken.

#916004 - 06/07/03 09:19 PM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
EHpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY-Madrid-Newfoundland (rhymes...

#916005 - 06/07/03 09:27 PM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I think it is very possible, given the right talent. Elena, are you viewing it from a viewpoint that it will be too late to establish marketability? Sometimes, a late start may be slightly advantageous because one will have more maturity and a clear ambition. A pianist technique is not impossible to acquire after one is young, all it takes is the right balance of talent/effort and it is indeed possible. Perhaps difficult to occur, but possible.

#916006 - 06/07/03 09:43 PM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I don't think Elena's answer is based on principle, I think it's based on observation.

My observation is the same.

A simple no.

Possible? Probably, but I've never met or heard of anyone who's pulled it off.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#916007 - 06/07/03 09:59 PM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

What age would you say is the limit to begin, and what is the particular reason that people who start later cannot achieve the samething as one who starts earlier?

#916008 - 06/07/03 10:19 PM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Harold Bauer switched from violin to piano when he was about 20. He is usually cited as one of the great pianist among the oldest to start.

#916009 - 06/07/03 10:25 PM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
mkesfahani Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
The following concert pianists did not start at this age, but began taking piano more seriously which is nevertheless remarkable:

Paderewski was 22 or something, Richter was 27, Perahia was 15, and of course, Bauer was already mentioned. Don't quote me on those exact ages, but I know I'm close.

Mike

#916010 - 06/07/03 11:26 PM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
PianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philly, PA
I believe that Arcadi Volodos didn't start getting serious until about 20(Little shaky on the age, but I think somewhere around there)

#916011 - 06/07/03 11:30 PM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
Kreisler Offline

I "got serious" at around age 17. I'm no great concert pianist, but I've been good enough to appear at a few conferences this year. I'll be in Greensboro on the 19th playing a trio with some friends at the international double reed conference. Not exactly Carnegie Hall, but it's something...
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#916012 - 06/08/03 12:11 AM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
Ted2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
No, come to think of it, playing in concerts only applies to about one in every half million people and you still have to be one out of the bag and fairly young to do any good anyway because of the physical aspect. On the other hand, I don't see why activities such as composition and improvisation couldn't be taken up at any age and developed over the course of a lifetime.

#916013 - 06/08/03 12:42 AM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

i would venture to guess that late starters are less often great artists because they didn't have the advantages of childhood: they have to get a living, they don't have a nurturing environment, they aren't given great wads of time to develop their talents. these are very real limitations.

i no longer believe that the limitations are mental or physical. i grew up playing a few different instruments, but didn't get serious about the piano until quite late in life. i think my learning faculties are quite a bit sharper now than they were when i was a child. i certainly have more focus and discipline. and fortunately, i have not experienced any physical limitations.

theoretically, i believe, if one had unlimited time and didn't have to worry about earning a living, and was talented and motivated, beginning in one's late 20s shouldn't be an obstacle.

or rather, i think it should be just as possible to achieve one's full potential later in life.

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#916014 - 06/08/03 02:54 AM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
jeffylube Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Weatherford, Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by PianoMuse:
I believe that Arcadi Volodos didn't start getting serious until about 20(Little shaky on the age, but I think somewhere around there)[/b]
I believe he was either 16 or 18, and some professional manager or someone similar said that in the span of about 6 years or so (I think until he was early to mid 20's) he developed his technique to the point it's at now...which is really good. And I'm assuming in this time he also got a chunck of his repertoire down so that he could tour.

#916015 - 06/08/03 04:37 AM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
EHpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY-Madrid-Newfoundland (rhymes...
 Quote:
Originally posted by mkesfahani:
Paderewski was 22 or something, Richter was 27, Perahia was 15, and of course, Bauer was already mentioned. Don't quote me on those exact ages, but I know I'm close.[/b]
This is misleading. Very few of us get "serious" at an early age. I started when I was 6, but didn't get serious till I was 16. Maybe I;ve never really gotten serious? ;\)

The point is you need to START early, ideally no later than 7. I wonder about the example of the violinist-turned pianist mentioned above. It is likely that he played both instruments from an early age and just focused on the violin later switching to piano. I will have to look that up.

I have met several people that have made efforts to become career classical pianists who started in their teens and though their work and dedication is admirable, the movement of their hands is significantly stiffer than the technique of those who started earlier (and learned it right). Murray Perahia himself said that there is a notable difference between people who start at the age of 4 and earlier and those who start between 5 and 7 saying that things tend to be a lot easier and more natural for those that started pre-5, the technique never goes away even if you don't practice, whereas the post-5 group loses technique very quickly if they don't practice. He is in the category of the pre-5, of course!

And I'm not saying this to make it seem like it's some sort of elite club of kiddie pianists, it's just that I have not seen anyone become a successful concert pianist who did not begin early.

Elena
http://www.concertpianist.com

#916016 - 06/08/03 08:47 AM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
I started from scratch at the age of 15. I always felt that I had two strikes against me because I started late. No one said this to me, but that is how I felt about my playing.
What EHPianist said is true, and what Pique said about a nurturing environment for younger children is also true.

#916017 - 06/08/03 12:00 PM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The rate of brain wiring, and the importance of it, is highest at the early stages of development.

That said, adults have other qualities that 4 year olds lack, like discipline and seriousness.

But by then all those trillions of synapses needed to perform things like music or languages at the very highest level of fluency are already spoken for.
The clay has hardened up.

Kind of like changing the location of, not just the walls, but the foundation of a building after it was built.
Possible, but a lot of work.

OTOH, unlike a 4 year old, an older person can recognize that even though a concert career is not in the cards, a precious world on beauty and self expression is possible through the pursuit of piano playing.

#916018 - 06/08/03 12:55 PM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
Kreisler Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kenny:
OTOH, an older person can recognize that even though a concert career is not in the cards, a precious world on beauty and self expression is possible through the pursuit of piano playing.[/b]
A good quote on this subject from the jazz pianist Bill Evans:

"Music should enrich the soul; it should teach spirituality by showing a person a portion of himself that he would not discover otherwise. It's easy to rediscover part of yourself, but through art you can be shown part of yourself you never knew existed. That's the real mission of art. The artist has to find something within himself that's universal and which he can put into terms that are communicable to other people. The magic of it is that art can communicate to a person without his realizing it...enrichment, that's the function of music."

www.pianoped.com

#916019 - 06/08/03 04:53 PM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The converse, of course, is not true. I started playing long before I went to school but played my own way and did nothing I was told, finishing with an entirely unsuitable technique. I think there has to be an element of discipline present from the start too.

#916020 - 06/08/03 10:43 PM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
yok Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Volodos was training as a singer, I think, when he finally decided to concentrate on the piano. It is more common for people to become singers while after pursuing piano studies or careers, eg. Galli-Curci, Ferrier, Barbara Fritolli, Della Jones.

I don't think it's just a case of a certain age being too late to start, but also that the degree of aptitude required for a musical career is unlikely to go unrealised for so long.

#916021 - 06/10/03 07:23 AM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
ChickGrand Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest U.S.
 Quote:
Originally posted by EHpianist:
...Murray Perahia himself said that there is a notable difference between people who start at the age of 4 and earlier and those who start between 5 and 7 saying that things tend to be a lot easier and more natural for those that started pre-5, the technique never goes away even if you don't practice, whereas the post-5 group loses technique very quickly if they don't practice. He is in the category of the pre-5, of course!...
I can almost imagine precocious 3-year-olds searching for weaknesses in and psyching out their rivals in competitions. (Almost--I've known such sophisticated 3-year-olds and could only come to a draw with one in a three-hour debate about ethics.) The concept of perceptible differences in these two so-very-young groups is utterly depressing...

I wonder if this early brain-wiring developmental impediment is less problematic for women generally than men? Studies indicate women's brains have many more neural connections (about 25% more) between the hemisphere's than men's and they are far more adept at multitasking in general as a result (definitely a plus for piano). Perhaps there's a broader window for a woman to start and still achieve a higher level?

#916022 - 06/10/03 08:40 AM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
ChickGrand Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by piqu:
theoretically, i believe, if one had unlimited time and didn't have to worry about earning a living, and was talented and motivated, beginning in one's late 20s shouldn't be an obstacle.

or rather, i think it should be just as possible to achieve one's full potential later in life.[/QB]
I'm persisting in trying to prove your theory correct (if I'm permitted to substitute merely a keen sense of pitch and a lot of hard work for talent).

Last Friday, I celebrated my one-year anniversary of jumping out of a 20-year job and just staying home and seriously, systematically, practicing on a good piano acquired the month I quit. I took up piano informally as only an occassional effort (but quite intensely for long periods as time and good-piano proximity permitted) around 20. But a very demanding job definitely interfered with my real ambition, as did a mediocre piano.

I have found in this year that some of the most complex passages I avoided in pieces way back then, I now tackle with a sharp focus and a patience I didn't have when I was much younger. I have been surprised at how quickly I often nail what used to look impossible and find those fast tricky patterns, keyboard-spanning arpeggios, and shifts of melody from right to left hand, and competing voices are actually quite fun and exhilarating instead of just potentially oppressive, but two pages of fast complex patterns can be physically tiring and my hands sometimes ache to get to a lull in the melody.

Being able to put the watch in a drawer and let the clocks wind down has been tremendously helpful at this stage of middle age. I don't have expectations of becoming a concert pianist from this point in life, but I wanted and bought myself this year now, rather than later, while I still have the energy and mental dexterity to apply to the task, just to find out if I could satisfy myself.

The freedom to focus has had a significant value. I've made more progress this year than I ever dreamed I could, inspite of my mindset of "it may well be too late". While I will never achieve the degree of perfection on as diverse and complete a repertoire as I'd like, I think I'm still capable of becoming very good at a significant number and variety of even very complex pieces.

I'm my own toughest critic and wouldn't pretend to entertain a paying audience (nor even make a non-paying audience suffer), but I've come along well enough that professional gigging/touring and recording musician friends have asked me to perform with them. (So far I've deferred on the offer to until I get another 20 years of practice. When senility sets in I won't remember I'm not perfect.)

Perhaps there's a level of confidence obtained in youth or a willingness to accept and learn from mistakes and an agility of getting around and minimizing them. My vanity couldn't live with a permanent record of a mistake. It's hard enough to accept one even when I'm alone, even when it's only one and only minor. (I am learning to put that in perspective and following a lot of good advice here and elsewhere to quit making those mistakes, though, and occassionally satisfying myself, along with the neighbors. When I get familiar enough with a piece to let myself rather make it "my own", without reservation, and really "sell" my interpretation.)

While it may be realistic and supported by scientific data to believe one must start young, belief in that theory in and of itself would likely deter all but the most irrationally-determined efforts to achieve one's ultimate potential. Where's the fun in that. If nothing else, it'd be nice to be the exception that proves the rule.

Any reason your theory is applied to late 20's--not 30's or 40's?

Adding (as if you can stand more): Studying action geometries, and learning to tune (various temperaments) and regulate has been beneficial this year. I have a much firmer mental grasp of control of voicing and tone, and repetition that I don't think I'd have developed otherwise and it has somehow made it to these old fingers pretty reliably.

#916023 - 06/10/03 09:58 AM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
Phlebas Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chickgrand:
[QUOTE] I can almost imagine precocious 3-year-olds searching for weaknesses in and psyching out their rivals in competitions. (Almost--I've known such sophisticated 3-year-olds and could only come to a draw with one in a three-hour debate about ethics.) The concept of perceptible differences in these two so-very-young groups is utterly depressing...

[/b]
I'm not positive, But I would bet that Perahia was not comparing 3-4 yr olds and 5-7 yr olds at that age. He was most likely comparing a universe of adult player who started at various ages, and observed a difference based on the age at which each player began taking piano lesons. I doubt that he was espousing the advantages of competitions involving prococious 3 yr olds. Some kids are precocious, and some are not. Some kids who are not precocious, and who begin piano at a very early age, develop into fine musicians. There is nothing at all depressing about that.

BTW, it's great that you can devote as much time as you can to the piano. I am not going to be a naysayer, and put limits on what you are able to accomplish. The sky's the limit.

#916024 - 06/10/03 10:17 AM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
ChickGrand Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phlebas:
[QUOTE]I would bet that Perahia was not comparing 3-4 yr olds and 5-7 yr olds at that age. He was most likely comparing a universe of adult player who started at various ages, and observed a difference based on the age at which each player began taking piano lesons[/b]
I'm sure you are right to make this point with regard to his observations. (Just my wry humor about the toddler set. With a dash of seriousness about the actual level of intellectual sophistication of some of them these days.)

(My guess is my limit's well below the sky, but when a another big knot appears on top of the first big knot on the crown of my head, I'll take heed.)

#916025 - 06/10/03 12:10 PM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
Phlebas Offline

chickgrand,

Forgive me. I guess I'm not used to your sense of humor yet, but I'm a quick learner. \:\)

#916026 - 06/12/03 12:35 AM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
daryl Offline

Loc: new york
 Quote:
I have found in this year that some of the most complex passages I avoided in pieces way back then, I now tackle with a sharp focus and a patience I didn't have when I was much younger
Thats interesting chickgrand, our lives parallel eachothers, I lost my 18 year old day gig also and immediately dove into an intense but focused practice regimen of 4 to 6 hours a day and classical pieces that were well out of my grasp are becoming part of my repertoire.Practice, especially focused practice can take you to heights you can't imagine.I have a cousin who started piano at around 7 or 8, he's in his 30's now and his technical command of the piano is on another level but somehow I feel like I'm gaining ground.I've somehow managed to refine my technique to a place where I really see and hear a difference.I think if you can aquire a virtuoso technique, the rest is up for grabs.

Lao Tzu

#916027 - 06/12/03 02:32 AM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
Joe Townley Offline

Loc: Glendale
All you late achievers turn me green with envy. I agree with many of the posters that intense concentration in practice sessions can produce almost miraculous results, especially at a later age. I want to work so hard now and have the time and drive to do it but this &*^%$ finger of mine hampers me so much that just to play a scale properly with it requires such intense focus that it plain wears me out! I think I could make a reasonably good showing of some of the bigger pieces if my finger let me but (sigh) it just goes on strike after about 2 hours. Maybe I'll try cortisone shots or something. Any ideas?
http://www.JoeTownley \:\( (feeling a little blue right now, maybe a little sorry for myself too - forgive me.)

#916028 - 06/12/03 03:57 AM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
ChickGrand Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daryl:
[QUOTE]...our lives parallel eachothers, I lost my 18 year old day gig also and immediately dove into an intense but focused practice regimen of 4 to 6 hours a day...[/b]
My parents would probably pronounce you "insane" as well as they did me. (Not that I care what anyone, even them, thinks.)

It's nice to know I'm not alone in making piano the choice of how to use time after career change.

When I started the year, I made myself first get comfortable with the keyboard without looking and spent a good bit of time with theory books reading (theory books under the pillow). Spent a lot of time sight reading pieces to improve that skill, with a lot of thought on dynamics markings to begin to really see music as phrases rather than just a sequence of notes.

I think what has helped this year (aside from the freedom of time) is that I have broken playing down into little chunks of different skills. I collected my favorite sheet music and organized it by types of skills needed, and started in on regular practices, varying from 2 hours to 6 hours each day, broken down into sessions on a longer day.

I choose to practice a particular skill among many pieces wherever I found it, and only that part of anything. Quick arpeggio patterns repeating page-after-page, long keyboard spanning arpeggios, trills, voices in counterpoint, tricky fingering, difficult reaches, hand-over-hand etc. I may practice two or three pieces whole, either at warm up or at close, but I spend the bulk of the time on a particular objective skill until I get it consistently right (sometimes a few days). I periodically go back through the entire regime of skills I've tackled so far to review and assess my technique (leads to an enormously cluttered music desk). I use recording, too, to get a more objective listen. Other times, I play specifically just to look at my fingerings, which I don't do at any other time, to consciously evaluate efficiency or explore alternate fingerings to improve accents or reach. Each improved skill makes the next new piece easier.

My approach of taking complex pieces that I love and picking them apart into simpler chunks in whatever order (knowing that in the end I'll get through all of it eventually) keeps me inspired because I wholeheartedly love the pieces. I generally do the right-hand, left-hand breakdown and then work on both together slowly for accuracy, then build speed. Then I focus exclusively on the tougher passages refining them (often before the simpler stuff gets smoothed out). By breaking the things down into logical chunks of phrases, I find remembering them becomes easy. I eventually can totally ignore the sheets and just play with good note-accuracy and just focus on refining the voicing and interpretation.

I only play a few advanced pieces with consistently good results, but I know that I know them absolutely. They've become engrained in my soul in all their little phrase chunks. About the only error I ever make in these pieces now is a grazed adjacent key (annoying) during a once-through. And on a good day "in the zone" I know I can do as well as anything I've heard.

By rotating through a library of pieces working on logically-related chunks, I'm bringing some new pieces up to speed more quickly, but it's still a fair bit of work to find the fingering that works best for some pieces. (Fingering suggestions, when provided, aren't always best for one's own hands.) It will be a long time before "my repertoire" is anything I'd be proud of. I set aside Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" (bought the day the big piano was delivered) as a "30-year project" (all those accidentals and reverts to naturals!), but I've been itching to start chunking away at it.

My piano performance PhD friends (I wish I'd taken that path) and touring professionals I know comment that "all your music is so complicated". I didn't choose it for that reason; just chose what I heard that I liked because life is too short for "Mary Had a Little Lamb" pieces at my age. I think of it as a variation on Jack Nicholson's "Five Easy Pieces"--instead, five great pieces. And then some more if time permits. Starting with complex pieces is certainly ass-backwards, but then I usually eat desert first.

I'm happy to hear, Daryl, that you are gaining ground against your cousin's command of the keyboard. Makes me think it may not be so irrational to try at a later age. I don't know the definition of virtuoso technique and how that differs from simple technique, but I have found myself that getting the harder stuff down first makes the rest so much easier now (emphasis on the "er" at the end of "easier".

I'm surrounded by piano PhDs (who later became lawyers or doctors professionally--huh!!??!!) and a few actual recording artists in my neighborhood who play a variety of instruments. It makes for some nice lawn parties on occasion. (And a bit of performance pressure during practice). They're under the illusion that I'm "good" and "great" and "f**king great". I know I'm not. Nor will I ever be. That would require familiarity with a larger repertoire than I will probably ever develop. You won't see "Variations on a Theme by _____" by me on your local CD shelf ever. But if you're walking your dog on my street, you might hear a whole-heartedly committed interpretation of Beethoven, DeBussy, Lecuona, Satie, or "Anonymous", along with a little more tentative improv. You may even someday see a stooped little wrinkled man in the back of the local symposium room taking notes as if life were long enough to do the degree in music thing. (I'm just the piano-parallel of "put a monkey in a room with a typewriter and eventually he may produce the great...")

Good luck with your progress and career path, Daryl. I'm considering my next paying activity myself and now it must have the prerequisite to not interfere with piano the way the last 20-year job did.

It was heartwarming to read Linda in PA's report elsewhere here about her recital last night and how it all "came together" for her, and on a Steinway D, no less. Those moments when it does all come together are worth all the work the rest of the time.

#916029 - 06/12/03 04:23 AM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
ChickGrand Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Townley:
...this &*^%$ finger of mine hampers me so much that just to play a scale properly with it requires such intense focus that it plain wears me out![/b]
I can relate to that, too. 5, 4 & 3 on the left have become almost totally numb for two weeks now (accompanied only at first by a twitchy thumb). No rational cause. I'd been working on precise control of accent on difficult reaches of fast uniform arpeggios that repeated with few variations for two full pages. The problem I was having was kind of a hand exhaustion toward the middle of the second page. The effort to just will my hand to get through them (the idea being to strengthen them to the task) sometimes led to complete failure of some fingers to move. But not having seen a doctor to define the problem, I don't know that that's relevant. Full movement, but almost no tactile sensation, even of hot or cold. Very annoying. (And in the back of my mind, depressing and ominous given my whole life revolves around keyboards of one type or another.)

The only suggestion I can offer is the one I haven't taken myself--see a doctor (for one thing, medical insurance is one of the things I gave up to afford this year--you'd think I'd learn as last time I took time off for myself, I broke both knees day two). And ease up on practice (I have eased up a bit in practice, but probably not enough).

#916030 - 06/12/03 11:53 AM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
Phlebas Offline

chickgrand,

Your long post about how you practice is interesting. What pieces are you working on?

Also, in another post you said some fingers have been numb for two weeks. That is something you should take seriously if you are continuing to practice a lot. You should take a look at your technique at the piano, and read up on piano overuse injuries. They can be very painful, and debilitating. There is no such thing as "no pain no gain" in piano practice. Any pain shoudl be accompanied by alarm bells.

#916031 - 06/12/03 06:33 PM Re: Late starting Concert Pianists?
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Chick:

Your symptoms are very worrying. I would waste no time in investigating them. Playing the piano should be a joyous and liberating activity, a yoga of mind and body, not constant striving riddled with injury and trauma.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
123 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, aesop, 36251, 35 invisible), 1411 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156848 Topics
2304657 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hi Everyone
by JoyBug
08/21/14 10:02 PM
Do pianists care?
by Ed Foote
08/21/14 09:44 PM
Can we strengthen the fingers?
by rov
08/21/14 08:53 PM
Hello to Everyone and to PianoStudent88
by Gene Williams
08/21/14 08:23 PM
Is this Piano Purchase Tax deductible?
by master88er
08/21/14 08:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission