Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#916073 - 12/02/04 05:09 PM How many of you HATE this time of
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
year? I do, sometimes. Not enough light, too many carbohydrates, and no good ideas for Christmas gifts.

\:\( Jodi

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#916074 - 12/02/04 05:12 PM Re: How many of you HATE this time of
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I love it, the snow is beautiful, no noisy air conditioner on all of the time, and most importantly, Christmas is around the corner!

#916075 - 12/02/04 05:18 PM Re: How many of you HATE this time of
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Gads, one more thing to be sad about. No snow.

\:\( \:\( Jodi

#916076 - 12/02/04 05:19 PM Re: How many of you HATE this time of
plays88skeys Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, VA
About two months ago I thought it might be a good time to stop taking antidepressants. I asked my doc -- he looked at me and said 'no way! Winter's coming and with it grey skies, limited daylight and lots of dark. In the spring we'll talk about it.' He's right of course. I do despise the dark.

On a brighter note, here's a gift idea. I bought 13 paperwhites kits and will give them to lots of people on my list -- who wouldn't like a bit of springtime in the middle of winter?! \:\)

paperwhites narcissi kits for indoor forcing

#916077 - 12/02/04 05:22 PM Re: How many of you HATE this time of
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

You know, I love those things. I saw some hyacinths (sp?) that were getting ready to bloom at the grocery store. I bought an amaryllis bulb and am going to decorate the pot as a gift for my nieghbor.

\:\) Jodi

#916078 - 12/02/04 05:27 PM Re: How many of you HATE this time of
plays88skeys Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I decided that all my outdoor bulbs should be fragrant, so they are. The heirloom narcissi are heavenly. Paperwhites are too! And hyacinths have the most wonderful scent! I have pretty good luck with them in the garden -- they come back every year. The British-made perfume I wear is called Bluebell, and it smells almost exactly like a hyacinth, with a bottom note of cinnamon.

#916079 - 12/02/04 05:49 PM Re: How many of you HATE this time of
Stevester Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I sleep best during the winter, great time to recharge my battery. Just pile on the quilts and I purr like a kitten.

anon

#916080 - 12/02/04 06:19 PM Re: How many of you HATE this time of
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

i got a full-spectrum light bulb to put in my desk lamp and it has really helped a lot, jodi.

the best thing about this time of year is you can stay indoors all day and hibernate. a great time of year for getting work done and catching up on reading and household projects (that is, if one is not glued to their computer screen following the latest blow-by-blow on pianoworld. :rolleyes: )

the summer is awful, jodi! beautiful weather so you have to be outside all the time gardening or hiking. no good excuses to hole up with a box of cookies and a book. count your blessings! ;\)

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#916081 - 12/02/04 06:27 PM Re: How many of you HATE this time of
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
I hate it too. I don't think I could survive North Idaho if I had to work the whole month of December. Up in the dark, get home in the dark. Fortunately with Christmas Break I have two weeks off so that helps December go by. I start counting the extra minutes every day after winter solstice. The lack of light really gets to me. I have taken St. John's WOrt in the past and it seems to help. Even the kids at school start looking pale and tired. Exercise seems to help - off to do Yoga now. Really mean it this time.

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

#916082 - 12/02/04 07:39 PM Re: How many of you HATE this time of
WynnBear Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Hey ladies!

It's because you live in the NORTH that you hate winter. (Yes, Plays, to me, Virginia is also the north!) \:D

Fall and winter are my favorite seasons. The sky is a deep intense blue, the air is cool and dry, and I feel revitalized. Also I'm a real sucker for Christmas, and love having my whole house decorated for the season.

By the way, Plays, thanks for the suggestion of paperwhites. I was going to make fudge for the office, but I think I'll order those kits instead and save all that time in the kitchen!

#916083 - 12/03/04 06:29 AM Re: How many of you HATE this time of
plays88skeys Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Glad to help, Wynne. Your description of NO winters reminds me of a letter I have that my great grandmother wrote in December of 1897 (she lived at 3rd and Coliseum in the Garden District) describing the days as warm and balmy and that things were still in bloom.

I have a full spectrum light for doing my petit point and other close projects. I hadn't really thought about the other benefits...

Teachum, here's a thought -- driving home in the evening take the time to appreciate all the homes with lights -- I like to think of them as wintertime flower gardens. Enjoy the lights -- the landscape certainly is a lot bleaker in January!

#916084 - 12/03/04 05:29 PM Re: How many of you HATE this time of
BeeLady Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
 Quote:
Originally posted by plays88skeys:

Teachum, here's a thought -- driving home in the evening take the time to appreciate all the homes with lights -- I like to think of them as wintertime flower gardens. [/b]
For a minute I thought you meant the indoor lights! :p The early darkness is the PERFECT time to see inside all the beautiful antiques around here! The wall colors are dazzling!

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

#916085 - 12/03/04 10:29 PM Re: How many of you HATE this time of
ilikemozart Offline

Loc: USA
I can appreciate Teachum's comment. We lived three winters in Boise, Idaho. I'll take the west coast.

Summer is my favorite season!

#916086 - 12/03/04 10:34 PM Re: How many of you HATE this time of
ny1911 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I love this time of year. I don't mind the dark. My favorite is when the roads have a snow pack that hasn't been melted by the salt. The cars go by almost silently with a slight crunching styrofoam sound. Inside there is a fire in the fireplace and the neighbors come over to share a bottle of wine and holiday cookies. The Christmas tree creates a warmth the instant it is lit. The girls want to be the first ones to go around and turn on the candles in the windows.

When it gets tough is in January and February. Snowfalls of 6-8" become 16-18". The temperature never goes aboove freezing so there is always snow on the floor of the car unless we make a distance trip and everything warms up. Christmas bills come in. It's just a great big hangover.

then that first bud pops out in April...and i'm off to home depot.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
Yesterday at 03:43 PM
Who's Online
80 registered (Alux, accordeur, AnimistFvR, Almaviva, 23 invisible), 1076 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158483 Topics
2327415 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission