Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#916136 - 12/02/04 06:46 PM If this were your kid, would you want him to play again?
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
Football

This boy is our neighbor. I remember when this happened, how I felt for his parents while they were waiting for him to wake up. I remember watching him taking walks down the street after the surgery. Slowly, with a cap covering his shaved head and huge scar with stitches. If he were my son, would I want him to play football again after this? Nope. But I probably wouldn't have encouraged him to play football in the first place. I'm not too keen on contact sports. (The town is very excited, the football team is playing for the state championship in it's division tomorrow night.)

\:\) Jodi

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#916137 - 12/02/04 07:29 PM Re: If this were your kid, would you want him to play again?
WynnBear Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
You think it's the parents encouraging him to play, or is it Josh doing the pushing?

#916138 - 12/02/04 09:16 PM Re: If this were your kid, would you want him to play again?
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Nope, I'm sure the son wants to play. I would feel sick to my stomach before every game if I were his mom.

\:\) Jodi

#916139 - 12/02/04 09:20 PM Re: If this were your kid, would you want him to play again?
iamcanadian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Maybe he loves football the same way we love piano.

I'd support him.

#916140 - 12/02/04 11:54 PM Re: If this were your kid, would you want him to play again?
Friday Offline

Loc: South Bay, CA
Are they insane?!!?

I would absolutely be the meanest mom in the world and demand he give that sport up. He's what? 17? 18? It's not like he won't have anything else to love in his life.

Man, I was sick just reading the article...

F.

#916141 - 12/03/04 05:14 AM Re: If this were your kid, would you want him to play again?
sarah_blueparrot Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, England
I hate American football. It's so violent. I don't agree at all with sports where you actually have to wear protective gear because you *expect* to be kicked in the head. It's just stupid.
No, jodi, I wouldn't let him. I'd be a mean mum!
PS - get back to the studio! ;\)

#916142 - 12/03/04 10:46 AM Re: If this were your kid, would you want him to play again?
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Nope, I would definitely say no. So far I'm pleased that my son is only interested in baseball... black eyes, missing teeth, bruises but the comas are few and far between.

#916143 - 12/03/04 01:56 PM Re: If this were your kid, would you want him to play again?
Chris Aher Offline

Loc: Brookfield CT
When my son, Tim (now 22) was in 7th grade, in an attempt to "fit in", decided to go out for football in spite of his "bookworm" nature and coke bottle thick glasses. Bonnie and I gritted our teeth and let him, hoping for the best. Suprising everyone, including himself, he turned out to be pretty good as a defensive back. He played about half a season until breaking his arm in practice one day. We were relieved. The injury wasn't serious, he was out for the season and we were pretty sure that (rightfully, as it turned out) he wouldn't want to return after that.

We were inclined to not let him play in the first place because of the risk of serious injury and the negative aspects of the social climate in the sport, but it was important to him to find a way to prove himself. 7th grade is really tough on smart, bookish kids. The other kids can be really cruel. In this case, it worked out pretty well in the long run. At the cost of a broken arm his self confidence took a big boost.

Not long after that, a fencing club opened up in our area and the whole family ended up getting involved. This is a much better sport for kids, in my (admittedly biased) opinion.

#916144 - 12/03/04 02:46 PM Re: If this were your kid, would you want him to play again?
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Fencing club. The silly mother in me has visions of my kid coming home with both eyes poked out... ;\)

\:D Jodi

#916145 - 12/03/04 04:13 PM Re: If this were your kid, would you want him to play again?
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
No, no, no! That only happens when you run with sticks, not epee's! \:D

#916146 - 12/03/04 05:10 PM Re: If this were your kid, would you want him to play again?
BeeLady Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
 Quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Nope, I'm sure the son wants to play. I would feel sick to my stomach before every game if I were his mom.
\:\) Jodi [/b]
My sister is having this same nausea..her middle son broke his wrist seriously in a hockey game the day after Thanksgiving, as my parents watched....in a playoff game... 150 miles from home...this is his third injury of the sort... her younger daughter is just now over her broken ankle from soccer....AHHHH!!! is what I would be saying!!

I know I would not let my son play again...Teens think of the here and now, not of what all these injuries will become as they are older... \:\(

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

#916147 - 12/03/04 10:43 PM Re: If this were your kid, would you want him to play again?
ny1911 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I don't have a problem with contact sports per se, but the emphasis on winning instead of sportsmanship gives me pause. There are injuries in all sports, but I suspect that football s the worst for head and spinal injuries. Unfortunately the players just don't kow heir vulnerabilities at that age. I would have a hard time (as a parent) watching my son go back out on the field.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (ajames, a-z0-9, Almaviva, AndrewJCW, 41 invisible), 1520 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156236 Topics
2294562 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First-time piano buyer: budget under 10k
by Michael101467
07/28/14 10:13 PM
teaching in a studio vs independently from home
by JRoberts
07/28/14 07:40 PM
First time piano buyer - please help!
by Ksi
07/28/14 07:29 PM
Verituner Data Download?
by A443
07/28/14 07:27 PM
Meaning of Perfect Fith in music theory
by Weiyan
07/28/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission