Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
146 registered (accordeur, ajames, Almaviva, anamnesis, 36 invisible), 1599 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#916459 - 12/08/04 04:11 PM Anyone Ever Served on a Jury?
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
I haven't, although lawyers are eligible to serve in my state. I have received a summons every year, and every year I request an extension. My kids get out of school at 3:00, so how am I supposed to serve on a jury 30 minutes away until 4:00?

They're starting to get rather cranky with me about it, cross-examining me with great skeptism when I tell them I don't work outside the home and don't have daycare. Like there's no way anyone would do such a thing! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyway, what were your jury experiences?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#916460 - 12/08/04 05:11 PM Re: Anyone Ever Served on a Jury?
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I've been summoned (summonsed? \:\) ) and did my gig a few times, but never got selected.

In AZ, you get your summons and show up in a big cattle pit (not literally, MattG), fill out a few papers and wait around. Through some magic maneuverings, people are selected to leave the cattle pit and go in for questioning. There's some latin name for this, right, Cindy? If they're selected in step 2, then they're on a jury.

I've never been selected, just one of the cattle roaming around in the pit. It's a long boring day. They have TVs and they're tuned to the most inane, stupid shows. You can't leave because you have to be there when/if called. At least it's non-smoking.

#916461 - 12/08/04 05:17 PM Re: Anyone Ever Served on a Jury?
jasper_garcia Offline

Loc: New York
I recently got summoned to show up for one of these things. It's a pink slip that definitely makes it seem as if I was in trouble. Anyway, I have to go on the 18th. The slip says the process should not take longer than a half hour. We'll see about that...

#916462 - 12/08/04 05:23 PM Re: Anyone Ever Served on a Jury?
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
I've been on jury duty a number of times and was on a jury twice. I absolutely hated being on a jury. The second jury I was on went OK because the parties settled out of court just before the trial was going to begin so we were off the hook.

The first jury I was on was a nightmare. It was a case of he said/she said. There was no evidence at all--just heresay. For this reason I felt the prosecution had failed to convince me and I found that myself and one other jury member had to stand up to the other 10 jurors who all wanted to convict. It came down to just me against them when this other member buckled. I would not have been able to live with myself if I'd caved in. We ended up with a split verdict: finding guilt for one charge but hung on the other. We were sequested for this trial and it was all over $5!!! It was brought to criminal court though because one of the defendants was accused of having his hand in his pocket and pointing as IF he had a gun in his pocket.

God, it was awful.

#916463 - 12/08/04 05:33 PM Re: Anyone Ever Served on a Jury?
Lindy Offline

Loc: Western NY
Never petite jury, but a few years ago I was called for grand jury duty. Turns out in my county of NYS that grand jury duty means you serve for 3 MONTHS -- but they only convened at most twice each week for 4-5 hours. It's a rural county, so not a lot of felony crimes -- mostly felony DWI.

It was a great experience. I learned *a lot*. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The most irritating part was having to serve with a few loudmouths (jurors can ask questions during the grand jury hearing). It seemed, at least with the 24 people on my grand jury, that loudness and intelligence were approximately inversely proportional \:D
Lennon - "He's not even the best drummer in the band."

#916464 - 12/09/04 06:55 AM Re: Anyone Ever Served on a Jury?
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
I was selected for a jury but the case settled the next morning before opening arguments. It was a local attempted murder case, and I was really looking forward to it. (I studied criminal justice in college and graduate school.) The worst part of the process is waiting to be pooled for jury (before voir dire). I'd love to serve on another (except the really long, drawn-out ones).

#916465 - 12/09/04 07:19 AM Re: Anyone Ever Served on a Jury?
Stevester Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Three weeks for a civil trial. Quite an experience, I highly recommend it for anyone who has any sense of civic responsibility.

By the end of the third week it was dragging on too long as far as we were concerned (the full jury) so I raised my hand and asked the judge when this was going to be over because our employers were all getting upset. It was over the next day.

If I ever end up on a jury again I will not be afraid to ask questions instead of just sitting there like a lump of coal. When we were read our directions by the judge before the deliberation portion of the trial we all felt rather confused, we felt we should have been given different directions.

If you end up on a jury just look at it as a life experience and don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't be afraid of the judge, speak your mind if you become confused.

anon

#916466 - 12/09/04 07:24 AM Re: Anyone Ever Served on a Jury?
cathys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
I served on a jury once. I had always wanted to have an opportunity to do that and was pretty jazzed when I was picked (I know I'm a bit weird) but it turned out to be a lot of sitting in a room waiting for the lawyers and judge to discuss stuff we couldn't hear (glad I brought a book). It was only 3 days but on the last day the defendant didn't show up in court and when we were given our instructions on deliberation the fact he did not show up was not to be taken into account or make a difference in the outcome of our verdict but the evidence presented prior kind of spoke for itself...

That trial was on a drug charge, I wouldn't mind being on a jury again, other than the sitting in a closed room part it was pretty interesting.

Cathy

#916467 - 12/09/04 08:38 AM Re: Anyone Ever Served on a Jury?
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member

We convicted a guy of something.
I think it was possession of pot during a ticket for speeding.
Months later I saw the defendant in a mall.
I got out of there, like quick.

I think there should be a screen so the defendant cannot see the jury.
Fear of reprisals is very real and can affect judgment.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
49 minutes 30 seconds ago
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
52 minutes 9 seconds ago
Digital piano Actions MP11,RD-800,CP4
by oliver123456
Today at 01:26 PM
Baldwin Howard Piano
by Deegs23
Today at 01:24 PM
Don't you just love.....
by D7K
Today at 01:23 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159957 Topics
2349107 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission