Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
101 registered (Anita Potter, AnimistFvR, Anne'sson, acoxcae, Abby Pianoman, 40 invisible), 1502 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#916716 - 08/16/05 08:50 PM Converting Records to Digital
Silent Thoughts Offline

I have a large collection of records which I'd like to convert to mp3s. How would I go about doing this - what equipment do I need, and where do I begin?

Thanks in advance. \:\)

(I wasn't sure where to post this - please move the topic if another forum is more appropriate.)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#916717 - 08/17/05 06:43 AM Re: Converting Records to Digital
***musical princess*** Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Newcastle, England
I use a piece of software called 'Nero'. It's great. It odes all sorts like converting to MP3's, copying CD's, compiling your own CD's, copying data and all sorts of other stuff which i haven't really looked into yet. All you do to convert to MP3 is put your CD in the computer, click on 'convert to Nero Audio MP3 Files' and then it does it in a bout 3 minutes and stores them on your computer which you can then copy back onto another blank CD (you can usually get about 150 MP3 songs on one CD of an average size) send them to an MP3 player or ipod or whatever or you can just keep them on your hard drive. It's a really good programme. You should have a look into it. If you don't have it, you probably will already have something on your computer that you can use though. Have a look through any media programmes you have and see if they have anything about converting audio files. Hope that helps.

Caroline

x

#916718 - 08/17/05 01:18 PM Re: Converting Records to Digital
Silent Thoughts Offline

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my original post. I have records to copy (78 rpm and such), not CDs. I'm not too technologically inept ;\) . I just don't have any experience in converting old media into digital.

Thanks again!

#916719 - 08/17/05 02:01 PM Re: Converting Records to Digital
***musical princess*** Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Newcastle, England
Well then i wouldn't have a clue how to do it properly but you could always play them on the record player and record the sound onto a midi player and then put them onto the computer (or even directly onto the computer if you have a decent enough mic) and then change them to MP3 files. I would reckon that is the cheapest way to do it, though there is probably a much more efficient way of doing it. Sorry i can't help you any better.

x

#916720 - 08/17/05 03:22 PM Re: Converting Records to Digital
Jens Schlosser Offline

Loc: Leipzig, Germany
You basically only need one cable to connect the amplifier output (Line Out, Tape Out, Rec Out, or thelike) to your soundcard's input (Line In). You keep the record player connected to the amplifier as if you'd like to listen to your records (because you need the built in pre-amp in order to get the right level and sound). Once you've connected the amp to your computer, make sure the Line In of your soundcard is active (look if you have some sort of a software mixer). You need a recording software which records wav-files. There are a lot of programms (freeware, shareware and expensive ones) which would serve you very well. Basically all you need is a recording function and some simple functions to properly trim the file. Every audio editor will do that trick. The last step will be to encode the wav file to an mp3 file. You'll need an mp3 encoder for that purpose, for instance "lame", but many others would work as well. Some of the better audio editors have internal mp3 support so you can directly convert the files to mp3 from the audio editor. You may want to play arround a bit with the mp3 settings. As a guideline, take the bit rate as high as your space limitations permit and I'd suggest to uses a variable Bitrate (at a high level). This usually gives very good results. There's a lot of information on this (mp3 encoders, bitrate, audio editors) available on the net.

Have fun!

Jens

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway rebuild question
by schlaigs
11/28/14 10:00 PM
Baldwin Hamilton Hammer Butt and Back Stop Leather
by Ryan Hassell
11/28/14 09:55 PM
Please help me to find out the pattern of this Cdim7
by SZ54
11/28/14 08:12 PM
3 sensors per key vs 4?
by AnimistFvR
11/28/14 07:55 PM
Request For The Pursuit Of Knowledge
by Louis Podesta
11/28/14 07:09 PM
Forum Stats
77083 Members
42 Forums
159433 Topics
2342017 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission