Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
115 registered (AZ_Astro, Anne'sson, 661-Pete, anotherscott, Barry1963, 36 invisible), 1337 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#916857 - 12/09/04 08:13 AM Analyze My Dream
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Registered: 05/29/01
Posts: 7051
(I fly in my dreams.)
I was flying down a beautiful canyon beneath a house I once lived in out in the country.
The bottom of the canyon was cleared of all the oaks and there was a huge patio with marble tile floors.
Next I’m in a building where there were several large grand pianos.
They were all closed up and had covers on them.
They were trucked in from Santa Rosa California for a wealthy local customer to try out.
(I get as excited as a kid in a candy story when I get around pianos.)
I wanted to try them out.

I lifted the fallboard of a Bosendorfer Imperial Grand.
The keys were mostly missing and all the keys that are supposed to be white were black.
There were no sharps.
I went to another piano and it had all the keys missing.

Then two women came in.
They were blond, affluent, slender elegant ladies in their 60s who had lots of “work” done so at a glance if you squinted they looked like they were in their 30s.
The husband of one of them was the buyer.

More people started coming in and moving pianos around.
I wanted to play them but it got too busy.
I decided to talk to whoever was in charge.

I went to an office.
There were three very old Germans, one man and two women.
I told the lady that I am shopping for a fine piano and listed several brands.
I pronounced the names as they would be pronounced in their countries so she knew I was for real. (Hey - It's a dream.)
She showed me to another room with several pianos that were in various stages of rebuild and a few finished ones.

There was a Bosie upright that almost fell over.
When I saw the keyboard the keys were each about 3 inches wide and were brown.
She asked me to try one grand.
It was very small and the lid was down.
I raised the lid.
It didn’t much resemble a piano.
The rim was a weird small round shape about three or four feet in diameter.
Instead of strings there were bones of animals and I think a flattened human skull.
Instead of keys it had forks, knives, spoons and bones.
It made it very hard to play.

I tried to play some Chopin.
It was hopeless.
I thought if anything would work on this piano it would be Bach.
So I tried the Goldberg Variation’s Aria.
I sort of could play it.
The music was barely recognizable.

My fingers got hung up on the forks and knives.
The people around me thought I couldn’t play very well, even though it was the piano’s fault.
This worried me.

Top
(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#916858 - 12/09/04 08:25 AM Re: Analyze My Dream
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Registered: 05/24/02
Posts: 3739
Loc: Chicago
did you recently watch the Malcom in the Middle episode where Dewie made his own piano???

K

Top
#916859 - 12/09/04 08:35 AM Re: Analyze My Dream
sarah_blueparrot Offline
500 Post Club Member

Registered: 10/18/04
Posts: 808
Loc: Bristol, England
It means that either you miss playing the piano, or that you miss people not arguing in here, and you miss your old young German friend, and you're hungry.
_________________________
Every time you play a funeral march, the devil grabs a soul.

Top
#916860 - 12/09/04 08:40 AM Re: Analyze My Dream
kenny Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Registered: 05/29/01
Posts: 7051
 Quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
did you recently watch the Malcom in the Middle episode where Dewie made his own piano???

K [/b]
Nope.
Is that a TV show?

Top
#916861 - 12/09/04 11:59 AM Re: Analyze My Dream
Penny Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Registered: 05/26/01
Posts: 2943
Loc: San Juan Capistrano, CA
I'm no expert, but I'll give it a try. The dream starts off happy. At least, I've read that flying is supposed to be a happy metaphor in dreamland. Also, it may indicate the security you felt as a child (the childhood house). Except, I believe you had a rotten childhood, so maybe it's the security you wanted as a child.

Definitely, wanting a fine piano is a strong desire. But you see yourself an outsider to the world of people who have plastic surgery and have pianos shipped in just for them. So when you finally get to touch these pianos, they are nothing like you hoped. The finest pianos of the world are unattainable to you, as if you feel you don't deserve them.

Perhaps you have guilt over owning such a piano in real life. That, and you don't think your skills deserve such a fine piano.

Hate to bring up all these insecurities (as they are UNJUSTIFIED), it's just how I read that dream.

I dream with extreme clarity and can recall 3-5 dreams each night upon wakening (that is, if I try to; if I just wake up and go about my day, the dreams are mostly lost). So I've spent a lot of time deciphering them. And I've come to the conclusion that dreams are unique to each dreamer, rendering most outside analysis useless (unless the analyzer knows you well). I really don't think this is a science.

So, how'd I do??? ;\) \:\)

penny

Top
#916862 - 12/09/04 10:01 PM Re: Analyze My Dream
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Registered: 07/06/01
Posts: 3857
Loc: North Groton, NH
Penny wrote:
 Quote:
And I've come to the conclusion that dreams are unique to each dreamer, rendering most outside analysis useless (unless the analyzer knows you well).
Yeah, I agree with that. I find that the feelings I have when I'm dreaming are as important as the images and can shed much light on the images.

I do think your dream was a positive one since it indicates you are strong enough to face certain disappointments and/or insecurities you may be feeling.

I too, like Penny, think flying is a positive thing in dreams. I think it indicates security and stability--strength and faith in oneself.

I wonder if the dream then reflects some recent disappointments or confusion about something? Have you recently tackled a new piece that seems foreign to you? or slightly beyond your current ability? It seems to get a little overwhelming in the dream when all the people come in. YET, your confidence and security come through for you because you proceed to talk to those in the know.

Still, in the end it would seem that learning to play the piano is as hard as learning all the early childhood stuff like learning to use utensils, etc. and that perhaps makes you feel a little insecure.


P.S. I don't know what I'm talking about, but I read your dream and imagine how I might have felt had I been dreaming it and the above is how I might have interpreted it.

Must repeat Penny's statement:

 Quote:
And I've come to the conclusion that dreams are unique to each dreamer, rendering most outside analysis useless (unless the analyzer knows you well).
_________________________
"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown

Top
#916863 - 12/10/04 04:16 PM Re: Analyze My Dream
Wacky Iraqi Offline
Full Member

Registered: 12/08/04
Posts: 213
Loc: England
 Quote:
Originally posted by kenny:
(I fly in my dreams.)
I was flying down *a beautiful* canyon beneath a house I once lived in out in the country.
The *bottom* of the canyon was *cleared* of all the oaks and there was *a huge* patio with *marble* tile floors.
Next I’m in a building where there were several large grand pianos.
They were all closed up and had covers on them.
They were trucked in from *Santa* Rosa California for a wealthy local customer to try out.
(I get *as excited* as a kid in a candy story when I get around pianos.)
I wanted to try them out.

I lifted the fallboard of a Bosendorfer Imperial Grand.
The keys were mostly missing and all the keys that are supposed to be white were black.
There were no sharps.
I went to another piano and it had all the keys missing.

Then two women came in.
They were blond, affluent, slender elegant *ladies* in their 60s who had lots of “work” done so at a glance if you squinted they *looked like* they were in their 30s.
The husband of one of them was the buyer.

More people started coming in and moving pianos around.
I wanted to play them but it got too busy.
I decided to talk to whoever was in charge.

I went to an office.
There were *three very old Germans*, one man and two women.
I told the lady that I am *shopping* for a fine piano and listed several brands.
I pronounced the names as they would be pronounced *in their* countries so she knew I was for real. (Hey - It's a dream.)
She showed me to another room with several pianos that were in various stages of rebuild and a few finished ones.

There was a Bosie upright that almost fell over.
When I saw the keyboard the keys were each about 3 inches wide and were brown.
She asked me to try one grand.
It was very small and the lid was down.
I raised the lid.
It didn’t much resemble a piano.
The rim was a weird small round shape about three or four feet in diameter.
Instead of strings there were bones of animals and I think a *flattened* human skull.
Instead of keys it had forks, knives, spoons and bones.
It made it very hard to play.

I tried to play some Chopin.
It was *hopeless*.
I thought if anything would work on this piano it would be Bach.
So I tried the Goldberg Variation’s Aria.
I sort of could play it.
The music was barely recognizable.

My *fingers* got hung up on the forks and knives.
The people around me thought I couldn’t play very well, even though it was the piano’s fault.
This worried me. [/b]
I think you'll find these starred words mathmatically significant kenny, I'm a mathmamedium and would urge you to avoid christmas this year for your own good if you wish to continue playing the piano with your upper digitals.
_________________________
If you keep a green bough in your heart the songbird will always come.

Top
#916864 - 12/10/04 04:43 PM Re: Analyze My Dream
Wacky Iraqi Offline
Full Member

Registered: 12/08/04
Posts: 213
Loc: England
I suggest camping out in Macy's. (see jollys Political correct thread in the coffee room)
_________________________
If you keep a green bough in your heart the songbird will always come.

Top
#916865 - 12/10/04 04:54 PM Re: Analyze My Dream
Beaver Offline
Full Member

Registered: 02/09/04
Posts: 257
It means you had a dream. Sorry, but I think dream analysis is a load of BS. :p

Top
#916866 - 12/10/04 05:32 PM Re: Analyze My Dream
Wacky Iraqi Offline
Full Member

Registered: 12/08/04
Posts: 213
Loc: England
 Quote:
Originally posted by Beaver:
It means you had a dream. Sorry, but I think dream analysis is a load of BS. :p [/b]
It's simple, real simple folks, analysis of any thought process is BS. Bring to mind a scene from the film ZULU, a young soldier asks his sergent "What are we doin here sarge, why are we really here?' sergent replies "Coz we're 'ere lad, coz we're 'ere".
_________________________
If you keep a green bough in your heart the songbird will always come.

Top
#916867 - 12/10/04 05:38 PM Re: Analyze My Dream
Beaver Offline
Full Member

Registered: 02/09/04
Posts: 257
Oh, I don't believe philosophy is useless (psychology, though...); I just think dreams are largely arbitrary. Of course, you can read too much into anything.

Top
#916868 - 12/10/04 06:26 PM Re: Analyze My Dream
Wacky Iraqi Offline
Full Member

Registered: 12/08/04
Posts: 213
Loc: England
I don't believe that anything is arbitrary, really, nothing.
_________________________
If you keep a green bough in your heart the songbird will always come.

Top
#916869 - 12/10/04 06:37 PM Re: Analyze My Dream
NoteWorthy Offline
Full Member

Registered: 03/02/03
Posts: 90
Loc: TX
Beaver, have you ever tried analyzing your own dreams? I find that they can sometimes be very insightful. Of course, not all your dreams will be very profound, but some will truly reflect your subconscious. I didn't believe in dream analysis until a really important dream I had recently that helped me make a big decision.
_________________________
"His name is John Brown!" - the DH.

Top
#916870 - 12/12/04 01:25 AM Re: Analyze My Dream
Ted2 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Registered: 05/04/02
Posts: 790
Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
When I was younger I kept a dream diary for several years in the hope of isolating precognitives. My dreams are very important to me and broadly speaking I have three classes.

1. Physiological ones, usually something to do with digestion or other bodily functions and noises which I hear when asleep. These I mostly ignore unless they obviously pertain to bodily health.

2. Symbolic ones where my subconscious is trying to tell me something I have missed. Ignoring these is, as Jung says, like not opening a letter addressed to me. They seem to take all sorts of material and use a variety of symbols, puns and visual imagery to throw some suppressed fact at me. I must say though, that I have never found "experts" on dreams to be of much use in analysing them. I consider I am better qualified to sort them out myself.

3. The visionary ones, including some flying dreams, landscape dreams, some precognitives and out of the body experiences (I don't say that actually happens, just that it seems so.) The best of these visionary ones are completely unforgettable, wholly beneficent and their effect borders on religious enlightenment, or at least how I imagine people must have arrived at religious foundation myths. Their quality is completely distinct from types two and three.

But to return to Kenny's dream, yes, I occasionally dream of having several fine looking pianos, all of which have some stupidly inconsistent physical attribute. Tell me what it means and then we'll both know !
_________________________
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

Top
#916871 - 12/12/04 05:28 PM Re: Analyze My Dream
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Registered: 05/19/04
Posts: 2913
Loc: idaho
Kenny - Don't you love flying dreams? I think they are wonderful. I have had dreams for years about being in all kinds of situations where there seemed to be lots of grand pianos and when I opened them they weren't real or there were just a few keys. Very frustrating. I think it just means we are obsessed with pianos. You have a fine piano so it can't be "piano envy" it's just obsession! \:D nothing to worry about!
_________________________
You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

Top

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160049 Topics
2350407 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |


copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission