2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, FredrikNilsen, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Anyone else heard about this? - anyone else slightly unsure about the project and it's possible consiquences? Here's a link for those intrested in CERN's latest project, but have no idea as to what i'm talking about:

http://www.lhc.ac.uk/about-the-lhc/what-is-the-lhc.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fJ6PMfnz2E part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQNPpeVvZ9w&mode=related&search= part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XbKZwXK-3c&mode=related&search= part 3

any way, it sounds like a good project until you hear that it may create micro black holes...

Now I've read into this, and in my eyes it seems a tad dodgy, - the most common response is "These micro black holes will evaporate in micro seconds, via Hawking radiation" now thats FAIR ENOUGH.... if hawking radiation wasn't an untested theory.....

The nest argument is something like "don't worry, cosmic rays of much more power than the LHC could ever produce are slamming into our atmosphere every day, if these black holes are really dangerous we wouldn't be here now"

well i'm at school, and it seems like they forgot the basic laws of conservation when the CERN scientists came up with that argument... I mean if, these cosmic rays are traveling really fast and are hitting molecules in a more or less statinary position, and any nano black holes formed would be sent through the planet within a few seconds. At the LHC theyre firing hadrons at near speed of light from opposite directions at the same speed - obviously speed/energy will cancel out at the collision... so the black hole gets pulled down to Earth's core by gravity - because it can't escape. (now in no way am I saying thats THE END of the world, because there are lots more arguments that run frtm that point onwards) but the ultimate risk is that it could destroy Earth...

I'm just wondering - why are these scientists allowed to run a MAJOR world threatening experiment based on the faith that "hawking radiation" will actualy work? I don't want to doubt proffesor Hawking on this, but at the end of the day, a theory is a theory....

Any views about this? - i'm longing for someone to put my mind at rest here.

Cheers!

TE

"I Think Therefore I Am." - Rene Descartes
OP Offline
No physics people on this site? or just not a very active off topic forum? he he

TE

Well, it bothers me.

I read about the LHC about six months ago and thought that the idea that it 'might' create black holes is really scary. Why doesn't anyone worry? Is it that there are just too many things to worry about?

Daffodil - Onslow's twin.
Hailun 178
OP Offline
hmmmmm bit dodgy isnt it? however i've been around many places and asked the questions that refute the idea of its supposed safety and every time my arguments get disregarded as "groundless" , at first I was skeptical about why they could be considered groundless, but after reading more and more about it I can see why, from the scientific stand point they may be considered groundless indeed. A nano black hole would take millions of years to eat a proton if it A) Exists B) Can be created and C) doesn't "dissolve" by this Hawking Radiation (HR)

However thats if they behave like standard black holes, my reasoning lies with: aslong as our understanding of physics and its laws isn't completely MESSED up, then by what we currently know they should behave as we know them to.....

but if it was my choice i'd still launch a nuke at it. laugh

C H O P I N

PS I'm suprised more peopel haven't looked at this thread... hmmmm maybe this will help: NO WORLD MEANS NO PIANO! wink

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission