Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
125 registered (aceydawg, accordeur, AndyJoe, Anne'sson, 42 invisible), 1570 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#917874 - 08/14/05 08:41 AM For anyone who dislikes charva's
***musical princess*** Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Newcastle, England
I was on the floor when i watched this, it is so funny. I want to apologise in advance to anyone who would class themselves as a charva but if you'r intellectual enough to love playing the piano it's unlikely that you are one. Its a good laugh anyway.

http://www.cecimoz.co.uk/flashpanel/Chavs2.htm

x

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#917875 - 08/15/05 07:39 AM Re: For anyone who dislikes charva's
Richard Martin Offline

Loc: Durham, UK
V funny musical princess. God bless Chavs. Here is a great Chav resource:

http://www.chavtowns.com/

There's a great review of Durham. A little corner with a high concentration of mobile phone stores is referred to as the "chav technological research centre" which made me chuckle.

PS I'm not a chav

#917876 - 08/15/05 02:38 PM Re: For anyone who dislikes charva's
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
PS I'm not a chav
Phew!!!

Have fun out on the town on Saturday? I was down on the quayside - almost the same.

x

#917877 - 08/16/05 05:43 AM Re: For anyone who dislikes charva's
Richard Martin Offline

It was sort of fun - I may have made a fool of myself in front of my new colleagues. Wetherspoons, Tokyo (5 for a mojito, ouch) and some club. Missed my 2244 train and had to get the 0210. Drunk chavs: what could be worse?

In spite of my confusion, it was Fri night. Was the quayside any good? I quite like it down there. I'd like to eat at that Malmaison place when I'm rich, but for now I settle for est est est. It's one of the few chav-free zones ;-)

#917878 - 08/16/05 06:10 AM Re: For anyone who dislikes charva's
500 Post Club Member

I warned you what the effects of getting drunk could do. So how did you embarrass yourself, then?

Quayside was lovely. I had met up with a few girlfriends at ten in the morning and we stayed in Costa till 6:30 just lazing about and gossiping. Then we had a wonder down to the quayside and sat on the millenium bridge and watched the sun set (at which point i will add - you are not the only one who greatly made a fool of themselves...) before going to Rumpoli's as are budget was *very* limited. Then stopped off at The Pitcher And Piano for a few drinks before heading home. Good time had by all.

x

#917879 - 08/16/05 06:27 AM Re: For anyone who dislikes charva's
Richard Martin Offline

Oh, I dunno. I'm sure I was rambling on about nothing. And I felt a bit of an idiot for missing the train: I walked with someone to the station and he must have known I was going to miss it. So after we said goodbye I missed the train and had to call him to get the numbers of the others so I could re-join them in the bar. Maybe it's just what I call post-p*ss-paranoia, though.

Sounds like you had a more respectable time, or did you? How did you "greatly make a fool of yourself", or wasn't that you? I do like the quayside and the millenium bridge as I'm an engineering boffin. I must go to the sage as well sometime soon. Have you been?

#917880 - 08/16/05 06:40 AM Re: For anyone who dislikes charva's
500 Post Club Member

That's a good story but it's no where near as funny as mine. I couldn't possibly write it on a public forum though so i'll send you it in a PM.

I've been to the sage quite a few times. I was once lucky enough to get to sit in on a private masterclass that the Lindsey's were taking with a quintet. The pianist of the quintet was my music teacher at school and my private piano teacher so she said that me and a couple of my other musical friends should come along and watch as it would help us loads. They were playing Brahms Piano Quintet in F Minor and were getting ready for the proper performance and had arranged for the Lindsey's to come and give them some final tweaks. They played it all the way through at the start and i thought it sounded incredible then the guy who plays the Cello for the Lindseys just started ripping them apart. It was horrible yet incredible to watch. Then at the end of the class they played it through again and it was a million times better! I couldn't believe what a difference the guy had made. I also couldn't believe how many pianos that place has. The masterclass was held downstairs in one of the larger practice rooms and i went for a bit of a neb downstairs before it started and there are hundreds (ok, maybe a *slight* exaggeration) of practice rooms, each with their own brand new Yamaha. The smaller rooms had uprights but the bigger ones all had concert grands in them. It's worth visiting the sage just to admire the vast piano range they have!

x

#917881 - 08/16/05 07:11 AM Re: For anyone who dislikes charva's
Richard Martin Offline

I'm intrigued!

Watching a private masterclass with the Lindsays sounds great. I am envious: it must have been an amazing experience. Having been ripped apart at a few masterclasses myself I'm not sure it's always beneficial, although on the most recent occasion I was old and wise enough to fight back a bit - I played a Shostakovich prelude and fugue in Darlington for the piano society's masterclass.

I'll get to the Sage sometime; quite good folk music they have there as well.

I would recommend the Darlington Society - they have regular recital seasons and balance a big name or two with a number of up and coming prizewinners. The venue is small and you can get up close to the keyboard and really see what's going on, which is rare. The Durham Uni "Musicon" concerts are similar.

I turned up and got a student ticket for Angela Hewitt on the door (3) then got a 2nd row seat! there's a lot going on in London, but it wouldn't be that favourable at the Wigmore so we're quite lucky up here in some ways.

http://www.communigate.co.uk/ne/darlingtonpiano/page7.phtml

http://www.dur.ac.uk/musicon.concerts/

#917882 - 08/16/05 07:32 AM Re: For anyone who dislikes charva's
500 Post Club Member

Angela Hewitt's playing again in Summer at Durham uni. Was she any good? I might drop by that one.

x

#917883 - 08/16/05 07:40 AM Re: For anyone who dislikes charva's
Richard Martin Offline

She's great; an amazing Bach pianist, particularly. Have a listen:

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/artist_page.asp?name=hewitt

If you're looking at the musicon site, you've missed the concert - it was in May.

Thanks for the PM (gulp), I may reply when I have composed myself.

#917884 - 08/16/05 07:46 AM Re: For anyone who dislikes charva's
500 Post Club Member

Oh yeah - i didn't look at the dates, i thought it ment next summer. Oh well.

Heh, i told you it was better than your story. I just can't believe that i actually did it. I've never done anything like that before.

x

#917885 - 08/16/05 07:47 AM Re: For anyone who dislikes charva's
Richard Martin Offline

Forthcoming engagements:

http://www.angelahewitt.com/pdfeventlist.php?p=true&f=true&country=0

Closest to the NE is York on 19th Oct. See what I mean about London concerts? Her Wigmore Hall complete performance of the WTC bk1 on 26th Oct is already sold out!

#917886 - 08/16/05 07:58 AM Re: For anyone who dislikes charva's
500 Post Club Member

She's a busy girl! I might go to the one in York. Though it's too far away to decide now but i guess if i want tickets i'll need to know pretty soon. I was looking at the sage's forthcoming events and there's a couple of good things coming up in October.

http://www.thesagegateshead.org/whats_on/index.aspx

The Northern Sinfonia is playing on the 18th and 19th. That looks like it'll be really good. They're doing quite a few pieces by Ravel and Mozart. Also on the 22nd, there's a morning concert where they are playing all of Saint Saens Carnival of the Animals. That sounds like great fun.

x

#917887 - 08/16/05 08:12 AM Re: For anyone who dislikes charva's
Richard Martin Offline

Great, thanks for the link. I heard Imogen Cooper play Mozart with the Northern Sinf. in one of the Durham Uni concerts. I thought she was a bit odd and I wasn't too keen on her playing or weird conducting from the piano. You'll have to tell me what it's like, if you go ;-)

I do like the sound of that Bach cello suite series. I heard Yo-Yo Ma play Dvorak's cello concerto in Lucerne a couple of years back and he played a Bach Sarabande as an encore. Incredible.

Also Il Giardino Armonico should be good: Viktoria Mullova is great, and I'm learning the violin so I'll prob go to that.

#917888 - 08/16/05 08:25 AM Re: For anyone who dislikes charva's
500 Post Club Member

Yeah, I once saw the Handel Concerto they're doing at the City Hall and it was really impressive. I'd love to see it again.

The Carnival of the Animals concert is played by the Northern Sinfonia but its Yannick Nezet-Seguin Conducting and on piano so it should be really good. I've never seen him before but i've heard lots of good things about him. Plus, it's only 6 for seats anywhere in the hall, which is incredible. I was looking at going to see the Vienna Philharmonic on the 6th of September till i found out that tickets start at 36 (and thats only the crappy seats) and go up to 78 for a decent seat.

x

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hello all
by Jytte
11/27/14 02:10 PM
Happy Thanksgiving
by JoelW
11/27/14 01:12 PM
HAS ANYONE EVER PLAYED THIS?
by LuisFelix
11/27/14 12:29 PM
Piano evening at my teachers house
by Peter071
11/27/14 10:04 AM
Freelance collaborative pianist - money issues
by MiguelSousa
11/27/14 10:02 AM
Forum Stats
77067 Members
42 Forums
159399 Topics
2341526 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission