2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#917935 12/04/04 07:52 AM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Don't worry; this isn't political. wink

I was checking out a story in today's Washington Post dealing with the ongoing baseball/BALCO doping scandal. McCain wants to get tough with Major League Baseball, suggesting that if they don't adopt a more rigorous doping policy, Congress will.

For some reason, I'm not taking kindly to Mr. McCain's position. Baseball is part of the private sector, and the entertainment sector at that. I don't see how it is anyone's business whether the owners of baseball decide to let the sport get dirty. To me, it's like saying that if the Screen Actor's Guild doesn't crack down on sexual harrassment or drug use, Congress will. Why is that an appropriate thing for Congress to concern itself with?

I'm willing to be persuaded, but maybe the best remedy is the legal one that already exists (or, at least, I think it does). I think if baseball isn't doing enough about doping, this works to the disadvantage of clean players because they are at a competitive disadvantage against the pumped-up rivals. So let them file a class-action lawsuit.

OK, be gentle with me. I don't follow professional sports all that closely.

[edit: Here's the link.]

Article

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Wasn't there a lot of cronyism between the White House and the original baseball commissioner... both in the selection and in the design in the first place?

All I can remember is the first commissioner was Judge Landis, he banned a ton of people (part of the Black Sox scandal) and was friends with Teddy Roosevelt?... or was it Hoover?

Off to Google now...

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Let's not forget W's resume includes former owner of the Texas Rangers....

jf

"Make the pie higher." GWB
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
JF, meaning he'll never stand up to the commissioners, or that this is an issue near and dear to W's heart?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
First post in Coffee Room South...

Ladies, and Gentlemen,

Let us not forget your ground rules. This supposedly is the Tea Room. If you would not like to be invaded by the wicked Huns of the North, please refrain from dissing the POTUS.

This is a kindly public service announcement. smile

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I thought we were steering clear of pointed insults not censoring what we can and can't talk about. If I've got the wrong end of the stick please correct me. I'm rather excited about getting a high score in the Spot the Fake Smile quiz and experiencing some difficulty in focussing - (should never have had that Sherry). wink
P.S. Also sorry for digressing from subject! Anyway, what the heck do I know about Rounders? wink

How now, brown cow.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The government should stay out of this.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ditto what Jolly said.

Support our troops!
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I thought we were steering clear of pointed insults not censoring what we can and can't talk about.
That's what I thought, too. If Frank thinks I'm out of line, I hope he'll let me down gently. frown

My thoughts, which Mark put *much* more succinctly, smile were to wonder what legitimate public policy basis there is for McCain's position. Then I thought, well, maybe this was a public safety question -- the government should take steps to make sure clean athletes don't feel pressured to dope because everyone else is.

And then I had some sort of spasm! wink After all, doping is already illegal (I think, otherwise why is BALCO being investigated?). If the government wants to act, maybe it can enforce the laws already on the books?

Cindy -- who loves that expression "wrong end of the stick" because it is so very British

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Jolly:
Let us not forget your ground rules. This supposedly is the Tea Room. If you would not like to be invaded by the wicked Huns of the North, please refrain from dissing the POTUS.
These are not, I repeat NOT the groundrules. You can talk about anything you want down here. It just has to stay CIVIL. That goes for EVERYBODY.

smile Jodi

Maybe I am truly naive, but if anyone can talk about anything they wish, I'm pretty sure it will be uncivil (is that a word?).

At least with this bunch....

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I think the gov should stay out too - just like I don't think it's congress's business to force retirement plans on professional boxers. Having said that - I am more than a little disgusted at having all the sports records in the world being busted by steroided out people. I wish there was a way to get rid of it all, but competition being what it is I don't think it's going to happen. frown

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I've often thought that they should just walk away from professional sports... just let 'em do whatever they need to do. Sort of like gladiators. They can take all the performance-enhancing drugs they want, bloat themselves up, become sterile, ruin their kidneys and other vital organs, and whack each other into oblivion in their various sporting arenas.

At least that way, the playing field would be "level," and we know enough about what steroids can do that the players can't say they didn't know they were making a Faustian bargain.

I'm only half-kidding here.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Teachum/Nina, I have similar impulses. These are grown men and women, so let them ruin their bodies if they want, perhaps. Then again, I'd hate for my own teenage daughter to decide she has to dope to win her swim heats. She's not old enough to understand the consequences yet.

And then I think about Carl Lewis in the Olympics, being embarrassed and soundly whipped by a yellow-eyed Ben Johnson all hepped up on steroids. Johnson was later stripped, true. But Carl Lewis was the fastest "clean" man in the world on that day, and he never got to stand on top of the medal platform and hear his anthem for that victory.

Totally unfair.

Cindy -- remembering that old SNL skit with Phil Harmon as the weightlifter in the "Doping Olympics" who pulls his arms off

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Which leads me to another question...

When did the Olympics stop being for amateurs? I missed the memo, apparently. The basketball teams, for instance, are made up of our NBA players, for heaven's sake!

Yet the track and field and figure skating people are supposed to be "amateurs"? How did that work out?

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I missed the memo too. The first I heard of it was when Michael Jordan was suddenly an Olympian.

I have mixed feelings. I didn't like it much when amateur athletes were expected to hold down a job at Denny's and somehow foot all the costs of training to be the best in the world at something.

But I also don't like it when someone is in the NBA making zillions and then they go slumming in the Olympics. It kind of demeans the Olympics as some third-rate local track meet or something. A lot of the top professional tennis pros just skip the Olympics because they are way more interested in winning one of the four majors.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission